How many present-day players get into your "best Hearts team"?

Sydney

the posh bit
11 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Shankland & Gordon for me are 100% certs

Only ones for me at this present time. Ask me at the end of May and there could be a couple more. 

Edited by the posh bit

Shaggy2
4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Lots of great Hearts players being listed but genuinely how can anyone leave Rudi Skacel out their eleven?!! Absolutely staggering to me. He's the most decorated Hearts player since the 50's. Scored 3 Scottish Cup Final goals (4 if you include the penalty shoot out), in 2 wins, a massive opening goal in a Hampden semi-final win against Celtic and a place in the 4-0 semi-final team v Hibs (to go along with being Man of the Match in the biggest and most important derby win in our history). And that's not even mentioning his tremendous contribution out with those momentous games. He's a Hearts legend, arguably 2nd only to John Robertson in the last nigh on 70 years! 

I’ve left him out of mine because he upsets the balance of my XI and I don’t believe he was a better player than Cameron, Hartley or McCann (the former would arguably have led us to the 1998 title but for injury and the latter two are far more decorated, albeit at other clubs) 👍

merrymac
8 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Gordon,

Hickey, McLaren, Weir, Fysass

Hartley, Skacel, McCann

Shankland, Jankauskas, Pinilla

…heresy I know to exclude Robbo but all these players  on a different level. 

I am sorry but Pinilla?

scored about two goals and pretty much constantly injured ,over the club record goal scorer and the hammer of hibs

don’t  think so 

Uncle Buck

Gordon and Shankland for me. The Barrie McKay from the 21/22 season would be up there.

Uncle Buck
11 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Born in 95 so I need to keep it to 21st century but I’ll go with two, Shankland and Gordon.

_______________Gordon

Neilson__Webster__Zaliukas__Fyssas

__Walker__Hartley__Aguiar__Skacel

_______Shankland__Jankauskas

Was hard to pick a wide player from Miko, Chesny, Temps, Suso, Driver etc. But Walker scored so many goals. Michael Smith could have squeezed in but Neilson edges it with the cup final performance.

I was born 95 too. I’d have Smith over Neilson, Pressley over Zal and maybe Naismith over Walker. Would be happy with either Bednar or Jankauskas to partner Shankland.

Edited by Uncle Buck

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

I am sorry but Pinilla?

scored about two goals and pretty much constantly injured ,over the club record goal scorer and the hammer of hibs

don’t  think so 

The team I picked is in my opinion the best quality of players I’ve seen in my lifetime. IMO, Pinilla, Shankland and Jankauskas all played (or in Shank’s case will play) at a higher level. Much as I revere Robbo, he didn’t 

loveofthegame
3 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

No offence but to mention Kent in the OP is possibly the biggest case of recency bias I’ve ever seen. From the mid-80’s he doesn’t make it into the best XI centre backs never mind the best XI line up.

In no particular order:

Levein

McPherson

Jardine

McLaren

Pressley

Webster

Zaliukas

Weir

Ritchie

Bruno

Kingsley (controversial but I think he’s been our best defender this year)

I was going to post something to this effect but someone has beaten me to it. Kent is decent but not in the same league as a number of the centre halves we've had in the last 30 years or so.

Only players that get near the team are Gordon (starter) and Shanks (debate to be had but got to be in the discussion). No-one else even close.

Luckies1874

2 hours ago, merrymac said:

I am sorry but Pinilla?

don’t  think so 

Pinilla for Robbo is legit ****ing wild.

The former had more quality Saturday nights on George Street than he did Saturday afternoons at Tynecastle. 

merrymac
6 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Pinilla for Robbo is legit ****ing wild.

The former had more quality Saturday nights on George Street than he did Saturday afternoons at Tynecastle. 

Kinda what  I thought . Contributed pretty much the sum total of zero for Hearts but gets into the best Hearts team 😳😳

Fort Vallance

Only Gordon for me. Shankland is a decent shout but I'd like to see him here a bit longer before he gets in to an all time eleven.

reaths17
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The team I picked is in my opinion the best quality of players I’ve seen in my lifetime. IMO, Pinilla, Shankland and Jankauskas all played (or in Shank’s case will play) at a higher level. Much as I revere Robbo, he didn’t 

as robbo played internaional level, what higher level will shanks play ? pinilla was a fairytale contributed sfa to hearts, beslija contributed as much as him

Deodato
14 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Born in 95 so I need to keep it to 21st century but I’ll go with two, Shankland and Gordon.

_______________Gordon

Neilson__Webster__Zaliukas__Fyssas

__Walker__Hartley__Aguiar__Skacel

_______Shankland__Jankauskas

Was hard to pick a wide player from Miko, Chesny, Temps, Suso, Driver etc. But Walker scored so many goals. Michael Smith could have squeezed in but Neilson edges it with the cup final performance.

That's a midfield. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, reaths17 said:

as robbo played internaional level, what higher level will shanks play ? pinilla was a fairytale contributed sfa to hearts, beslija contributed as much as him

You could tell watching Pinilla that he had something special. He was the first player since Drew Busby, that I had seen, who could strike a ball like a rocket. But he had so much more to his game. 

keithyboy1975
On 07/03/2024 at 11:38, tokyowalnut said:

I was being slightly sarcastic, but he has been great when he has come on 😄

You fried my brain 🤣🤣🤣 Was trying so hard to remember another Tait 🙄🙄🙄

gregzy2k7
On 07/03/2024 at 11:58, Sydney said:

I should be working, but I am coming up with Hearts teams (taken from players in the mid-80s to now) to see how many of the present day players would fit into my favourite/best teams.  Only Shankland is a definite - I might even sneak Frankie Kent in there though. I like defenders who play like him.  

image.png.f161de5089bc578799326be781809ce1.png

Who else would you have in?  It was too hard for me to pick a "Best 11", so I ended up with 6 different teams.

Out of the choices provided,

The best team imo is,

Gordon

McLaren Weir Levein Fyssas

Colquhoun Hartley Salvatore Skacel

Shankland Robbo

gar jambo
On 07/03/2024 at 09:05, Heartsfth said:

Gordon

Mclaren, Levein, Weir, Naysmith

Hartley, Cameron, Skacel

Colquhoun, Robbo, Mccann

Best team by far anybody that leaves levein out don't know about football 

Henroddy

A lot of people choosing attacking midfielders. Which is great. But who's going yo win the ball with a crunching tackle? How about Neil Berry? 👍

Gordon

Jardine    Pressley    Levein    Fyssas

Cameron   Hartley   Skacel

Colquhoun  Robbo  McCann

Bazzas right boot

Gonna be controversial and say that Shankland is atm a better striker than Robbo at peak.

He's been brilliant the last two seasons. 

The % of goals for the team and the games he's won us over almost 2 seasons is remarkable. 

However,  Roobo has done and will likely have been the better player for Hearts given his time and overall record.

If Shankland stayed for 6/7 + seasons he might rival our greats, including Robbo.

Benny Klack
On 07/03/2024 at 00:58, Sydney said:

I should be working, but I am coming up with Hearts teams (taken from players in the mid-80s to now) to see how many of the present day players would fit into my favourite/best teams.  Only Shankland is a definite - I might even sneak Frankie Kent in there though. I like defenders who play like him.  

Who else would you have in?  It was too hard for me to pick a "Best 11", so I ended up with 6 different teams.

Great OP - think I’ll have a go at this as well.

Obviously a subjective exercise and dependant on your era of watching games but I take serious issue with Colquhoun being down in team 5 - especially with the likes of Valois and Juanjo trumping him !

No Idle Talk

One and a half. Weird answer? I know.

Craig Gordon is obvious.

Lawrence Shankland? It's him or Roman Bednar. 

How do folk feel about Shankland v Bednar?

Probably Gordon and Shankland but Bednar was really good in my opinion.

Benny Klack

Can’t quite get my head around the number of folks that are leaving Shankland out their teams.

Benny Klack
8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

One and a half. Weird answer? I know.

Craig Gordon is obvious.

Lawrence Shankland? It's him or Roman Bednar. 

How do folk feel about Shankland v Bednar?

Probably Gordon and Shankland but Bednar was really good in my opinion.

Shankland or Bednar ??????

wow 😮 

Bednar was decent on his day but was pretty inconsistent overall.

Nowhere close to oor Lawrence 

schillaci
On 07/03/2024 at 10:39, Sooks said:

Gordon

McLaren

Weir

Levein

Fyssas

Salvatori

Hartley

Skacel

Cameron

Shankland

Robertson

Smokin'. Could you imagine that team. Put Stephane Adam on the bench; there would be a hue and cry if I suggested he started ahead of the two demi-gods. 

Just now, schillaci said:

Smokin'. Could you imagine that team. Put Stephane Adam on the bench; there would be a hue and cry if I suggested he started ahead of the two demi-gods. 

I went for as much balance as possible . Salvatori and Hartley had enough about them defensively to allow Skacel and Cameron in the same side . Hartley of course also adds a lot in attack . As @Bull's-eye mentions above , these players would be subject to modern training and fitness regimes and so would probably be even better , but with the exception of Robertson and McLaren , all of my picks were pretty athletic for their periods anyway . Imagine Levein with modern training in fitness ect 

On 07/03/2024 at 08:22, Pingu said:

If we're going 4-4-2 to match the OP...

Gordon

McLaren

Weir

Levein

Fyssas

Colquhoun

Hartley

Skacel

McCann

Robertson

Shankland

Appreciate it's not a very balanced midfield, but this is fantasy so sod it!

Really like that team. Only switch for me would be Naismith for Takis.

WageThief
On 07/03/2024 at 01:58, Sydney said:

Are those teams in order, i.e 1 being the best?  is that Derek Ferguson? above Hartley?  Berra over Weir? Clark over Robbo?

The Wrinkly Ninja

Gordon

Mclaren

Jardine

Levein

Fyssas

Bett

Cameron

Hartley

McCann

Colquhoun

Robertson

No Idle Talk
4 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Shankland or Bednar ??????

wow 😮 

Bednar was decent on his day but was pretty inconsistent overall.

Nowhere close to oor Lawrence 

That's fair. I may be overestimating Bednar. 

Benny Klack
2 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

That's fair. I may be overestimating Bednar. 

Still loved Bednar on his day tbf but Shanks is just different gravy mate. 

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Craig Gordon only. Shankland aside no one gets near.

Future Scotland captain Macaulay Tait says ‘bookmark this thread and revisit in a decade!’  

Archie White
On 07/03/2024 at 13:15, jbee647 said:

I started going in 1970, and Donald Ford would be ahead of Shankland for me (just)

Ford scored goals regularly over a period of years in a poor Hearts side, he had fantastic pace, something Shankland doesn’t have, he was sharp in the penalty box and was a difficult opponent for McNeill and Greig, at a time when opponents could come through the back of a striker, and always got the first one for free !
And of course Donald Ford was included in Scotlands 1974 World Cup Squad, arguably the best group of players we took to a World Cup finals.

Agree 100%

But team from the mid 80s:

Gordon

McLaren

McPherson

Levein

Fyssas

Colquhoun

Cameron

Hartley

McCann

Robertson

Shankland

Sub:

Me

No Idle Talk
6 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Still loved Bednar on his day tbf but Shanks is just different gravy mate. 

Thinking about it I agree. Best striker we've had since the Hammer. 

Burford Jamtart

Gordon (Niemi) 

Maclaren

Levein

Weir

McCann

Skacel

Hartley (Mackay)

Cameron

Colquhoun

Fuller

Robertson (Shankland)

Wing backs not allowed back in their own half!!

Diehardjambo1
On 07/03/2024 at 08:03, i8hibsh said:

Gordon

Mclaren

Levein

Pressley

Fyssas

Colquhoun

Hartley

Cameron

McCann

Clark

Robbo

I am a happy Jambo right now but no one in our current team gets near that. 

11 leaders in that team.

This 

shankland does get very close and if Kent keeps performing to his high level then he could have an outside chance. 

karipidis
On 07/03/2024 at 17:44, ArcticJambo said:

If I had to pick between Robbo and Shanks I'm probably going Shankland, except against Hibs. :D

I'd imagine Shanklands goals to game ratio against Hibs will be better than Robbo....

Craig Gordon only for me.

Robbo and Donald Ford for me as strikers.

Shankland,Crabbe,Clark,Bone and Fuller (Great on his one season) all worth a mention.

Sandy Jardine imagine him if he played for us at his peak.

tiger Rudi

Best 11 for me:

Gordon

McLaren

Levein

Weir

Fyssas

Cameron

Hartley

Skacel

Robertson

Shankland

Colquhoun

Honourable mentions, Niemi. Pressley, Webster, Naysmith, Valois, Aguilar, De Vries, McCann, S Clark, Fuller, W Johnston........and Black for cementing Griffiths and setting the tone for our 5.1 cup win!