How many present-day players get into your "best Hearts team"?

Sydney

I should be working, but I am coming up with Hearts teams (taken from players in the mid-80s to now) to see how many of the present day players would fit into my favourite/best teams.  Only Shankland is a definite - I might even sneak Frankie Kent in there though. I like defenders who play like him.  

image.png.f161de5089bc578799326be781809ce1.png

Who else would you have in?  It was too hard for me to pick a "Best 11", so I ended up with 6 different teams.

5 hours ago, Sydney said:

I should be working, but I am coming up with Hearts teams (taken from players in the mid-80s to now) to see how many of the present day players would fit into my favourite/best teams.  Only Shankland is a definite - I might even sneak Frankie Kent in there though. I like defenders who play like him.  

Who else would you have in?  It was too hard for me to pick a "Best 11", so I ended up with 6 different teams.

No Bruno?

Just now, CMc said:

No Bruno?

Or Fuller?

(unless they are there! I’m terrible at finding things in lists like this. lol)

We really have had some cracking players over the years. Aside from burleys stint, we always seemed inconsistent which resulted in us underperforming. 

been here before

Mid 80s yo now? Gordon would be it.

Edited by been here before

If the likes of Juanjo and Quitongo are being mentioned by the OP then Forrest is surely a shout?

Clerry Jambo
7 minutes ago, been here before said:

Mid 80s yo now? Gordon would be it.

This

53 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Shankland & Gordon for me are 100% certs

Gordon must get in any Hearts team since the beginning of time. 

Never saw Cruikshank play, but you would think the science of keeping had progressed a bit. Even if Cruikshank was better relative to his peers than Gordon, you would think Gordon would be better in absolute terms (apologies to older fans). 

Shanks is a tricky one. We dropping Robbo or playing twin poachers*? With a Rudi, Hartley, Micky midfield?

Bednar (pre-knee), De Vries or Fuller surely have to get a slot in the big guy role. 

We playing 433 or WM?

*for rhetoric effect. Implied heresy is tongue in cheek. Chill. 

BigAlim

Born in 95 so I need to keep it to 21st century but I’ll go with two, Shankland and Gordon.

_______________Gordon

Neilson__Webster__Zaliukas__Fyssas

__Walker__Hartley__Aguiar__Skacel

_______Shankland__Jankauskas

Was hard to pick a wide player from Miko, Chesny, Temps, Suso, Driver etc. But Walker scored so many goals. Michael Smith could have squeezed in but Neilson edges it with the cup final performance.

i8hibsh

Love Shankland but Clark and Robbo were the ultimate strike partnership for me. Throw in Colquhoun on the wing creating and it is

:clumshot:

i8hibsh

Gordon

Mclaren

Levein

Pressley

Fyssas

Colquhoun

Hartley

Cameron

McCann

Clark

Robbo

I am a happy Jambo right now but no one in our current team gets near that. 

11 leaders in that team.

Edited by i8hibsh

i8hibsh

I know Skacel was better than Clark btw but as a partnership it is Clark and Robbo.

Edited by i8hibsh

If we're going 4-4-2 to match the OP...

Gordon

McLaren

Weir

Levein

Fyssas

Colquhoun

Hartley

Skacel

McCann

Robertson

Shankland

Appreciate it's not a very balanced midfield, but this is fantasy so sod it!

TexasAndy

Present day Gordon is in and Shankland is in the conversation.  I know there's an age thing here but if we are talking 80s onwards you simply can't exclude Robbo.  The club's all time top goal scorer.

53 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Gordon

Mclaren

Levein

Pressley

Fyssas

Colquhoun

Hartley

Cameron

McCann

Clark

Robbo

11 leaders in that team.

I'd be happy with that as my favourite ever team.

Heartsfth

Gordon

Mclaren, Levein, Weir, Naysmith

Hartley, Cameron, Skacel

Colquhoun, Robbo, Mccann

soonbe110

Crag Gordon and that’s it imo.  Skacel on the bench. No-one else close. And that covers last 15-20 years players 

Edited by soonbe110

We_are_the_Hearts

Shankland is close to going to a Euros with Scotland so for me would come close. He is the complete predator and other aspects of his game have improved. All opinions

I started going in 1983 and the most alarming thing is the lack of decent right backs, when we beat Bayern McLaren played there. The fact 10 years later big McPherson played there in the 1998 final having also played in the Bayern game says he merits a mention. 

We_are_the_Hearts
23 minutes ago, Heartsfth said:

Gordon

Mclaren, Levein, Weir, Naysmith

Hartley, Cameron, Skacel

Colquhoun, Robbo, Mccann

This would probably be mine too although McPherson, McKinlay, Niemi, Fuller and Shanks came close

tokyowalnut
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Gordon

Mclaren

Levein

Pressley

Fyssas

Colquhoun

Hartley

Cameron

McCann

Clark

Robbo

11 leaders in that team.

This with a bench of 

Niemi 

Weir

Naysmith 

Bruno 

Tait 

Skacel 

Shankland 

and Crabbe if we could squeeze him on. 

i8hibsh
8 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Shankland is close to going to a Euros with Scotland so for me would come close. He is the complete predator and other aspects of his game have improved. All opinions

I started going in 1983 and the most alarming thing is the lack of decent right backs, when we beat Bayern McLaren played there. The fact 10 years later big McPherson played there in the 1998 final having also played in the Bayern game says he merits a mention. 

Loved big Doodly.  Mind we (the fans) used to go "eeeh awww" and make donkey noises - all in good jest.

With Shankland though you could never have both him and Robbo in same team imo so Robbo will always be picked first but shankland is outstanding.

ShortmanRossco
8 hours ago, Sydney said:

Nice thread my guy but Jesus I'm struggling to see past having Juanjo and David Templeton above Neil McCann 😵

i8hibsh
7 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Nice thread my guy but Jesus I'm struggling to see past having Juanjo and David Templeton above Neil McCann 😵

And Ryan McGowan

:wtf:

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Gordon,

Hickey, McLaren, Weir, Fysass

Hartley, Skacel, McCann

Shankland, Jankauskas, Pinilla

…heresy I know to exclude Robbo but all these players  on a different level. 

Heartsfth
31 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

This would probably be mine too although McPherson, McKinlay, Niemi, Fuller and Shanks came close

👍

reaths17

gordon

mclaren        pressley      jardine      fyssas

hartley       salvatori       cameron

skacel

robertson                 shankland   

gordon

mclaren        pressley      jardine      fyssas

hartley       salvatori       cameron

colquhoun                                     mccann

robertson

Gordon

McLaren

Weir

Levein

Fyssas

Salvatori

Hartley

Skacel

Cameron

Shankland

Robertson

martoon

Gordon 

McLaren

McKinlay

Levein

McPherson 

Cameron

Hartley

Colquhoun 

Skacel

Clark

Robertson

I used to go with Niemi but CG's second stint gives him the edge. 

Tempted to replace Sandy with Shanks but the front three of 1985-88 was a near perfect goalscoring collective.

keithyboy1975
1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

This with a bench of 

Niemi 

Weir

Naysmith 

Bruno 

Tait 

Skacel 

Shankland 

and Crabbe if we could squeeze him on. 

I may be forgetting somebody but the only Tait I can recollect is MacAulay...surely he's not done enough to warrant a place already???

karipidis

Gordon, Shankland, Skacel and Robbo all get in a team of the last 40 years. The other positions up for debate. And strange people referring to Shankland as a poacher, yes he scores a ton of goals but he is so much more than just a finisher. Actually think him and Robbo would be a good partnership. 

JayTeeJnr

From the current squad, Shankland and Gordon would make it into my favourite team.

I'm not sure they'd be the best fit of players but I'd go for a 442:

Gordon

McLaren

Fysass/Naysmith

Weir

Levein

Skacel

Cameron

Hartley

McCann

Shankland

Robertson

tokyowalnut
25 minutes ago, keithyboy1975 said:

I may be forgetting somebody but the only Tait I can recollect is MacAulay...surely he's not done enough to warrant a place already???

I was being slightly sarcastic, but he has been great when he has come on 😄

jbee647

I started going in 1970, and Donald Ford would be ahead of Shankland for me (just)

Ford scored goals regularly over a period of years in a poor Hearts side, he had fantastic pace, something Shankland doesn’t have, he was sharp in the penalty box and was a difficult opponent for McNeill and Greig, at a time when opponents could come through the back of a striker, and always got the first one for free !
And of course Donald Ford was included in Scotlands 1974 World Cup Squad, arguably the best group of players we took to a World Cup finals.

soonbe110
9 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

I started going in 1970, and Donald Ford would be ahead of Shankland for me (just)

Ford scored goals regularly over a period of years in a poor Hearts side, he had fantastic pace, something Shankland doesn’t have, he was sharp in the penalty box and was a difficult opponent for McNeill and Greig, at a time when opponents could come through the back of a striker, and always got the first one for free !
And of course Donald Ford was included in Scotlands 1974 World Cup Squad, arguably the best group of players we took to a World Cup finals.

Yep, I have Ford ahead of Shankland but behind Robbo.  Only three really good strikers in over 50 years isn’t good enough though really. 

Luckies1874
6 hours ago, Pingu said:

If we're going 4-4-2 to match the OP...

Gordon

McLaren

Weir

Levein

Fyssas

Colquhoun

Hartley

Skacel

McCann

Robertson

Shankland

Appreciate it's not a very balanced midfield, but this is fantasy so sod it!

What a team. 

Bench of: 

Niemi 

Naysmith

Pressley 

Cameron 

Salvatori 

Clark 

Jankauskas

10 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

What a team. 

Bench of: 

Niemi 

Naysmith

Pressley 

Cameron 

Salvatori 

Clark 

Jankauskas

Can we have nine on the bench? I'd want to sneak Jardine and Fuller in there! Or maybe Gary MacKay! Bit short of wingers but don't think there is anyone I'd rush to put in ahead of that list.

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, Pingu said:

Can we have nine on the bench? I'd want to sneak Jardine and Fuller in there! Or maybe Gary MacKay! Bit short of wingers but don't think there is anyone I'd rush to put in ahead of that list.

Let’s have 9! 

Allan Johnston was someone I’d consider for bench given he came through the youth setup. Gary McKay is a good shout for overall contribution and status. 

There are a number of players who fall into a 2nd squad for me; the likes of Flogel, Frail, Fuller, McPherson, Crabbe, Bednar, Ritchie, Adam, Fulton. 

Boyces beard

Gordon 

McLaren

Jardine

Levein

Fysass 

Colquhoun

Hartley

Cameron 

Skacel

Shankland

Robertson

Bench

Niemi

Weir

Naysmith

Salvatori

Mackay

McCann

Clark

Jankauskas

Naismith

Bull's-eye

In the real world, the players today are much better than yester year. Much fitter, technically much better and more importantly, much much faster. Especially defenders.

And for all "the leaders" advocates, they wouldn't play a minute these days, permanently suspended nowadays as "the leaders" back in the day where the guys getting stuck in taking no prisoners.

Anyway, back to the VHS brigade, as you were 😜

The White Cockade

Shanks and CG in the squad for sure

imagine a front three of JC, Shanks and Robbo 

With Rudi, Mickey and Sir Paul behind them

You’d need a calculator to keep the score!

😱😱😱

Edited by The White Cockade

Shaggy2

No offence but to mention Kent in the OP is possibly the biggest case of recency bias I’ve ever seen. From the mid-80’s he doesn’t make it into the best XI centre backs never mind the best XI line up.

In no particular order:

Levein

McPherson

Jardine

McLaren

Pressley

Webster

Zaliukas

Weir

Ritchie

Bruno

Kingsley (controversial but I think he’s been our best defender this year)

Edited by Shaggy2

Shaggy2
22 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

No offence but to mention Kent in the OP is possibly the biggest case of recency bias I’ve ever seen. From the mid-80’s he doesn’t make it into the best XI centre backs never mind the best XI line up.

In no particular order:

Levein

McPherson

Jardine

McLaren

Pressley

Webster

Zaliukas

Weir

Ritchie

Bruno

Kingsley (controversial but I think he’s been our best defender this year)

Hate to quote my own post but forgot Berra and Souttar.

Gordon

McLaren    McPherson     Levein      Naysmith  

Berry

Colquhoun       Hartley   Cameron    McCann

Robertson

Age playing a part here but Shankland would be first pick for the bench.

ArcticJambo

If I had to pick between Robbo and Shanks I'm probably going Shankland, except against Hibs. :D

Luckies1874

Lots of great Hearts players being listed but genuinely how can anyone leave Rudi Skacel out their eleven?!! Absolutely staggering to me. He's the most decorated Hearts player since the 50's. Scored 3 Scottish Cup Final goals (4 if you include the penalty shoot out), in 2 wins, a massive opening goal in a Hampden semi-final win against Celtic and a place in the 4-0 semi-final team v Hibs (to go along with being Man of the Match in the biggest and most important derby win in our history). And that's not even mentioning his tremendous contribution out with those momentous games. He's a Hearts legend, arguably 2nd only to John Robertson in the last nigh on 70 years! 

Edited by Luckies1874

BigAlim
1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Lots of great Hearts players being listed but genuinely how can anyone leave Rudi Skacel out their eleven?!!

Absolutely staggering to me. He's the most decorated Hearts player since the 50's. Scored 3 Scottish Cup Final goals (4 if you include the penalty shoot out), in 2 wins, a massive opening goal in a Hampden semi-final win against Celtic and a place in the 4-0 semi-final team v Hibs (to go along with being Man of the Match in the biggest and most important derby win in our history). And that's not even mentioning his tremendous contribution out with those momentous games. He's a Hearts legend, arguably 2nd only to John Robertson in the last nigh on 70 years! 

Aye 100% 

Shanks is the best striker we’ve have in the 21st century but Rudi remains the player with the biggest impact until someone else achieves the feats you’ve mentioned 

Squad

Gordon, Niemi 

Jardine, McPherson, McLaren, Levein, Pressley, Zaliukas, Webster, Fyssas, Naysmith

Cameron, Hartley, G.Mac, Salvatori 

McCann, Colquhoun, Skacel, Johnston 

Robbo, Shanks, Clark, Crabbe

XI

Gordon

Jardine Pressley Levein© Fyssas

Cameron Hartley

Colquhoun Rudi McCann

Robbo