Sportscene Highlights

colinmaroon

3 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Tin hat on here but I thought it was a penalty actually. Love Alex Cochrane but he’s prone to brain farts in his positioning at times that has cost us a few penalties over the last couple of seasons. If he’d gone to the man with the ball originally and let Benny track the runner he wouldn’t have ended up on the wrong side of the player coming through and making it easy for the ref to give the penalty when they came together.

Alls well that ends well though and Zander dug him out.

Still think he’s a cracking player but have seen evidence of these wee things a few times now.

Not for the first time, Cochrane had a lapse of concentration and let the Celtic player get the wrong side of him. But having seen the incident again, it's extremely soft - and arguably softer than the penalty we were awarded.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• saxondale

• Ricardo Quaresma

• wavydavy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

karipidis

Mark Wilson was an utter embarrassment during the co comms. 

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

That's what I said.  Our penalty shouldn't be a penalty, not many people in the game would think so, but by the letter of the law and the way it is being applied this season, it IS a penalty.

The handball law is a mess.

Ah right,  agreed then!  

Borders Jambo

The red card was as clear a decision as there could be.  His foot was so high and bear in mind Cochrane wasn't stooping.  Thankfully the studs didn't appear to make contact.  I was close to it at the time and thought it a straight red and if it had been a Hearts player, it would have been given as a red.

McCann went down in my estimation trying to justify it as a yellow card. 

Both penalties were soft and I thought LS was level for the goal disallowed so should have stood.

gnasher75

The Celtic penalty was a foul on Cochrane. Wrong decision by ref. Surprised he wasn't asked to look again. 

The red card was correct according to the laws of the game. 

Our penalty was correct according to the laws of the game.

But not sure any other VAR official would have intervened. IMO the result at Ibrox yesterday definitely helped us today! These are the kind of decisions Rangers get all the time. 

Naismith spot on in his analysis. 

Nookie Bear

My main take from today is that this Celtic team might have decent players but their style of play is laboured and dull. 
The downgrade from Ange is huge.

3 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Mark Wilson was an utter embarrassment during the co comms. 

He actually described the red card as an 'outrageous decision'. It's an absolute nailed-on red card in my view - but on absolutely no analysis is it an outrageous decision.

The post-match reaction from the Celtic manager and their cheerleaders in the media has been embarrassing. The long and short of it is this: both teams were awarded soft penalties - we scored ours, they missed theirs and there was a clear red card. That's it.

Benny Klack
5 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Being out of position isn’t a punishable offence.

Yes, he could have positioned himself to get the ball but there was no foul. 

Agree it was very soft mate but I would have been screaming for it had it been us on the attack. By being on the wrong side of the guy, and the Celtic player making a meal of it, I can see how it was given. 

Like I said - alls well that ends well though 🇱🇻

Benny Klack
7 minutes ago, stirlo said:

He actually described the red card as an 'outrageous decision'. It's an absolute nailed-on red card in my view - but on absolutely no analysis is it an outrageous decision.

The post-match reaction from the Celtic manager and their cheerleaders in the media has been embarrassing. The long and short of it is this: both teams were awarded soft penalties - we scored ours, they missed theirs and there was a clear red card. That's it.

Agree - same as it always is with that mob. Always cheated never defeated etc.

Let’s be honest, Hearts were decent today but Celtic were largely sh1te - John Beaton didn’t miss a penalty for them, their own loanee player did. Rodgers knows what he’s doing by chucking Beatons name in twice. Takes the focus off his team and their shortfalls today, stokes up the rabid fanbase and puts pressure on referees for the remaining games. Pretty desperate / despicable stuff - sort of sh1te that stirs up nonsense and feeds conspiracies that aren’t there.

Mind that referee strike? That started cos of nonsense like this. Pretty embarrassing but not entirely unexpected from on of the OF.

Edited by Benny Klack

brownkg

as i mentioned earlier and no celtic player's arms not figure in the decision

shanklandoffisdegoal02032024.jpg

Ricardo Quaresma

McCann saying what he thinks he should say, pretty slimy really

Rocky jamboa

The only wrong decision today was their penalty! The weegie media all ganging up to deflect a bad defeat away from celtic.

They look a shadow of celtic teams in the past. Not the same quick play and movement. 

Celtic got a boot in the face decision in their favour against St mirren and Brenda agreed with the red card. Our pen is by the rules of the game a pen. Sour grapes from Brenda and trying to cover up his own ineptness. 

jambo1975

Since when do Sportscene do co-comentators? Must admit haven't watched the Sunday night episode in a while but they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with Wilson. He was chronic!!

Edited by jambo1975

Thunder and Lightning
29 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Ah right,  agreed then!  

As you say, soft but a penalty as per the current application. 

Corstorphine Jambo

At first I was annoyed by Mark Wilson’s horrendously biased commentary, especially given that horrible west coast whine.

But when I thought about it more, it just shows he’s hurting. Really hurting. And that’s what I really want to hear. 

Philfigo
1 minute ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

At first I was annoyed by Mark Wilson’s horrendously biased commentary, especially given that horrible west coast whine.

But when I thought about it more, it just shows he’s hurting. Really hurting. And that’s what I really want to hear. 

I was the same, by end of the commentary I thought it was hilarious as you could hear the pain lol. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They did just - 48% Hearts, 52% Celtic. 

That's not how it felt at the game. You normally know when you are giving up possession in order to defend but today we were the team probing for a breakthrough for almost all of the game. I can only guess the stats are skewed by the last ten minutes or so when the game was won and we were making subs and letting them have the ball as we were defending the box well and looking to play on the break by then.

colinmaroon
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

I think if you are from an older generation this happened all the time and it was a yellow card but rules have changed and now its a yellow.

Not sure how to post but Nicholson got a boot from hell against Livi in the championship and it was only a yellow card

That was a genuine deliberately assault and should have been a red even then.

I say again watch carefully the stand side view and the guy leaves the boot in, and there is double movement so quick it looks like one, but it's two.

Edited by colinmaroon

leginten

Cochrane was fouled. Penalty Celtic.

Kingsley assaulted. No card, no VAR review.

Clear red card for the assault on Cochrane.

Clear penalty to us under the current rules.

Dubious offside against Shankland.

Absolutely stonewall red card challenge on Tait. Only yellow shown.

There was appalling officiating today, but all of it went against us.

saxondale
50 minutes ago, brownkg said:

Arms don't come into the equation. Only shoulders.

It's offside.

Oda be a JT

I wasn’t at the game, watching in my mates with two Hibs fans, and Aberdeen fan and an English rugby twat….even they were flabbergasted at how biased the commentators were!

hughesie27
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I was more astonished he didn’t think ours was a penalty.  He’s normally very good but, as with the other pundits today, all they did was go on about intent.  Read up on the laws guys, doesn’t need to be any intent.  If you’re doing an aeroplane impression and it hits you below the sleeve line it’s a penalty.  

Personally I thought a red was harsh too but if the St Mirren guy was a red on Hart then they both are. 

The general feel I've seen from pundits (and even Naismith and Shankland) is that yes, by the laws it was a pen. But the laws are a farce. I'm pretty sure any level minded person would agree that that sort of handball should never be a pen.

But we will take it whilst it is.

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Anyone else notice the weird pronunciation of Niewinhof.

Nearly as bad as your spelling of it. 😄

BackOfTheNet
4 hours ago, HMFC 86 said:

Was the same for the pen we got in 2012 in the semi final against sellik but the media ignored that time as well.

Funnily enough some Celtic fans will bring up that penalty all these years later, yet not one peep about their equaliser from Hooper being offside. Going by their logic, if that call was rectified then we would’ve won 1-0 rather than 2-1, but that never gets talked about.

And it’ll be the same with today’s game for years to come, they’ll talk about the sending off and out penalty and will say nothing about their own penalty or that Johnston should’ve been sent off (which wasn’t shown/discussed on Sportscene funnily enough).

WheatfieldWarrior
3 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Not even a yellow if memory serves me right 🤣🤣🤣AB6DF820-91A9-4123-8DB2-C72E670EE5F7.thumb.jpeg.3ecbdea4cff2326e0a68155e24eb2c62.jpeg

Talbot accepted the offer of a 2 match ban.  Yang should get the same. 

JennytheJambo
3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Commentator Chris Sutton felt the decision was harsh, but Rodgers felt a

'stud to the eye' clearly merited the sending-off. He said after the game:

"The guy's not meaning to do it, but of course if you're taking a stud in the eye, it's dangerous play. It was clearly a red card 

Double standards maybe Brenda🤣🤣

Did a St Mirren player not see red after catching Hart in the face, didn’t see them complaining about that. 

1 hour ago, brownkg said:

If I laid that picture next to a Blondie album there would only be one thing that had anything to do with parallel lines on it.

To be clear, no way are those coloured lines at the same angle as the 18 yard line even allowing for a natural differentiation.

Edited by cazzyy

Wee Mikey
18 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

If I laid that picture next to a Blondie album there would only be one thing that had anything to do with parallel lines on it.

To be clear, no way are those coloured lines at the same angle as the 18 yard line even allowing for a natural differentiation.

Indeed. That line is all wrong.

JimmyCant
3 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Pretty much agree with King prawn, the red yes, their pen maybe just and ours not for me.

I used to think Brother Beaton was the worst ref in the league but I'm rather warming to him now.

Let’s be honest here. Beaton should never be allowed near a game involving the OF. Everyone in football knows what he is

brownkg
48 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Arms don't come into the equation. Only shoulders.

It's offside.

and the angle of the lines?

Celtic penalty shouldn't gave been a penalty.   Cochrane was fouled. 

Red card was dangerous play.   So a red was right. 

Hearts penalty was an intentional hand ball.   His left arm comes out but not his right arm.   He knew what he was doing. 

My view ☺ 

Just an edited  addition.   Was Scales foot playing Shankland onside for the disallowed goal.   You can't see it.   🤔 

Edited by HMFC01

Ricardo Quaresma
56 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

The perspective looks correct; there's not much of a shift; look at the 18 yard line, the camera's right in line with it

Just unfortunate that LS is, rare as that is, offside by inches

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

Brick Tamland
1 hour ago, leginten said:

Cochrane was fouled. Penalty Celtic.

Kingsley assaulted. No card, no VAR review.

Clear red card for the assault on Cochrane.

Clear penalty to us under the current rules.

Dubious offside against Shankland.

Absolutely stonewall red card challenge on Tait. Only yellow shown.

There was appalling officiating today, but all of it went against us.

100% this, but the media bias we have towards the uglies would have you think it was the other way about. 
Typical Celtic though always cheated never defeated and I’m loving their salty tears. 

Ricardo Quaresma
21 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Celtic penalty shouldn't gave been a penalty.   Cochrane was fouled. 

Red card was dangerous play.   So a red was right. 

Hearts penalty was an intentional hand ball.   His left arm comes out but not his right arm.   He knew what he was doing. 

My view ☺ 

Just an edited  addition.   Was Scales foot playing Shankland onside for the disallowed goal.   You can't see it.   🤔 

Not unless he's size 20 & pointing his foot towards the goals; here's the frame; it's properly done, no doubt

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b203327ce09fe02c95907fca4f83d93f.jpg

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

It really is a credit to how well we played when we had to put up with a disgraceful penalty decision and a shady offside call yet still came out clear victors.. normally those kind of decisions do not lead to 3 points.. brenda and popcorn teeths bitterness post game was most excellent 👌

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

My main take from today is that this Celtic team might have decent players but their style of play is laboured and dull. 
The downgrade from Ange is huge.

:greggy:

1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Not unless he's size 20 & pointing his foot towards the goals; here's the frame; it's properly done, no doubt

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b203327ce09fe02c95907fca4f83d93f.jpg

😀 Size 20

Im not disputing the call.   Just from another angle his toes are definitely point out.   You just can't see them behind Vickers from that picture.  Must be millimeters offside. 😜   I guess they drew the line from Vickers shoulder and not Scales toes. 

Shankland got a goal in the end so all is good. 

Jambo in Bathgate
4 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Tin hat on here but I thought it was a penalty actually. Love Alex Cochrane but he’s prone to brain farts in his positioning at times that has cost us a few penalties over the last couple of seasons. If he’d gone to the man with the ball originally and let Benny track the runner he wouldn’t have ended up on the wrong side of the player coming through and making it easy for the ref to give the penalty when they came together.

Alls well that ends well though and Zander dug him out.

Still think he’s a cracking player but have seen evidence of these wee things a few times now.

That was never a penalty! Celtic player fouled Cochrane. Yang initiated the contact and fell over. Justice done penalty saved and Yang sent off. 

martoon
6 hours ago, gordiegords said:

Listening to Wilson was an absolute joke who asked for him? Never want to hear his Celticy voice every again, 

both pens were soft, red all day long don’t care if he meant it or not, it’s studs high in the puss ffs 🤦🏻‍♂️ 😆

😄

It does actually exist but there are many variations:

Sheltic

Shellic,

Theltic,

Thellic

Cell-teak

Thel-teak

Or, as John Hughes says...Celtuck.

il Duce McTarkin
30 minutes ago, martoon said:

😄

It does actually exist but there are many variations:

Sheltic

Shellic,

Theltic,

Thellic

Cell-teak

Thel-teak

Or, as John Hughes says...Celtuck.

Couple of folk in my local use the Cell-teak version. All Edinburgh born and bread. ****in' wanks, man. 

mscjambo
8 hours ago, jamborich said:

It was offside 

The one in the second half that counted?

He claimed the Hoff was off.

What are you talking about?

Edited by mscjambo

mscjambo
4 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

😀 Size 20

Im not disputing the call.   Just from another angle his toes are definitely point out.   You just can't see them behind Vickers from that picture.  Must be millimeters offside. 😜   I guess they drew the line from Vickers shoulder and not Scales toes. 

Shankland got a goal in the end so all is good. 

We don't have enough cameras in scottish var.

It's a cheap version. In England you'd have 2 more cameras. Not particularly for this call, but our system is simply done on the cheap

7 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

The perspective looks correct; there's not much of a shift; look at the 18 yard line, the camera's right in line with it

Just unfortunate that LS is, rare as that is, offside by inches

-

There's more of a shift than there should be imo, having said that I'm prepared to accept he was off.

TexasAndy

I think the BBC could have done a wee bit better than having an ex Celtic player co commentating.  It really did feel like Celtic TV.  The glee when Celtic got their pen and not a thought given to the fact it was actually a foul on Cochrane.  The red card, Wilson was ranting like a punter on the terracing at the thought of it being a red.  Our pen he was again just a loon in a Celtic scarf.  And he also tried to call out an offside in the build up to our 2nd goal.  It was clearly on in that moment around half way line, also that's one thing VAR seems reasonably competent at so if it was off it would have been called out.  But overall it's extremely frustrating watching highlights of these games and being pummelled with bias from the likes of Wilson, Sutton and Lennon.  Dalglish will be greetin in the Sunday Post next week as well.

colinmaroon
13 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Sending off - Clearly a double movement first to the face but then, no attempt to draw the foot away and you can see from the angle of the camera in the Stand, he pushes withe foot again, contacting upper shoulder.  So quick but clearly a red.

PS Wilson, why do they keep using people whose voices grate, totally unsuitable for broadcasting.  Just as bad as vast majority of female commentators.  I didn't know that extreme weegie accent comes under DEI.

I note, not surprisingly, SKY cut that shot out of their highlights.  It is in the Sportscene highlights.  Would imagine in Hearts TV.   

jamboozy
12 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The highlights again made it look like they had more possession than us. Anyone at the game would know that's not what took place at all. We moved the ball about well and they missed a lot of our clever use of the ball. Thanks again Sportscene!

11 hours ago, Deevers said:

Typical BBC Glasgow bias. They’ll all be spewing through there. Excellent.

They are masters of Glasgow propaganda. There are numerous times when you watch their‘Highlights’ they are skewed to suit once side of the Glasgow divide or the other.

If I hadn’t seen it for my own eyes you would think we had been under the cosh for 90 odd minutes.:lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Even Richard Gordon said it was red and Packy Bonner agreed. Got to admire Brendan though eh, he never complains about referees.

Well a first penalty award against them this season and more given than Rangers, you really do have to give credit to the lad for keeping schtum

12 hours ago, Macros said:

I can't be bothered checking the names of their players, the guy charging in doesn't head the ball, it comes of his arm onto the arm of the second Celtic player. The media and Celtic are bleating on about the second handball without looking at, or deliberately ignoring, the first, it's a penalty.

Their penalty is so soft it's ridiculous.

That's how I saw it. 

He charges in with no thought about what part of his body he was going to play the with. Ends up turning his body to lead with his arm. PK all day.