New record for Shankland

scott herbertson

Eddiepolio3

5 more goals to break Robbo's record. I never ever thought anyone would even come close. Hopefully he gets all 5 v Morton!! 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• i wish jj was my dad

• pettigrewsstylist

• Go for it 1308

pettigrewsstylist
8 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Bang on. Robbo was beyond special but I think a lot of people around at the time forget how good Levein was. Miller, McLeish, Hansen and even Narey and Hegarty (Evans at Villa anaw) were all top, top class but Levein was actually a better all rounder. We had Mclaren, McPherson and JC who were all arguably more talented than Robbo. 

None of them carried the same talisman than Robbo but looking back what a special period that was when Scotland was easily in the top 5 of European leagues. We've had Rudi and now Shanks sincebut let's get some perspective. 

Robbo was my teenage hero. But wee JC was incredible. 

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Not trying to be funny but did you watch all of Robbo’s career at Hearts?

Just seems a bit odd having him as our fifth best player when he is the only true Hearts legend of all the players you mentioned. 

Pretty much. I was only a wee laddie when he broke through but was going home away from about then. In think Levein, Gordon and Mclaren were probably the best three players I have seen in a Hearts jersey. As much as i loved him, Robbo wasn't their level. 

Gary Locke
26 minutes ago, AuldReekie'sBigTeam said:

Anyone know who Shanks supported when he was younger?

He was a rangers fan when he was younger, It has been reported in the daily rangers a couple times

Go for it 1308
31 minutes ago, AuldReekie'sBigTeam said:

Really? 🙄

Go for it 1308
Just now, Go for it 1308 said:

Really? 🙄

He's a Rangers fan ...everybody knows it....or should do by now😂

Oda be a JT
1 minute ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Really? 🙄

🤫 It’s a well kept secret 🤐 

Go for it 1308
12 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Pretty much. I was only a wee laddie when he broke through but was going home away from about then. In think Levein, Gordon and Mclaren were probably the best three players I have seen in a Hearts jersey. As much as i loved him, Robbo wasn't their level. 

Sorry mate....but that is just utter pish ffs

i wish jj was my dad
Just now, Go for it 1308 said:

Sorry mate....but that is just utter pish ffs

Each to their own but I think those three were a level above anything else I have seen in a Hearts jersey. They could have held their own in any team, anywhere at any time. Robbo and Rudi were heroes but not at that level. 

John Findlay
9 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

If Levein hadn't been crocked playing Hibs reserves, he would have ended up in a top two team in England, Germany,  Italy etc.

He was as being lined up by Liverpool as Hansen's replacement, until his serious injury.

reaths17
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Each to their own but I think those three were a level above anything else I have seen in a Hearts jersey. They could have held their own in any team, anywhere at any time. Robbo and Rudi were heroes but not at that level. 

takis fyssas, sandy jardine who taught levien, gary naysmith, davie weir, jim bett, anti niemi robbo stood out with them all except for one and your 3 except for one. robbo did his job with record breaking results as they all did. they were all great players in their own right and position

i wish jj was my dad
8 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

takis fyssas, sandy jardine who taught levien, gary naysmith, davie weir, jim bett, anti niemi robbo stood out with them all except for one and your 3 except for one. robbo did his job with record breaking results as they all did. they were all great players in their own right and position

Yip. All great, great players.

1 hour ago, AuldReekie'sBigTeam said:

Does anyone care?

PaddysBar
57 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

👍 I disagree but all cool. They certainly were all great players. 

Most appearances in the bbc gossip column for a non old firm player. 😉

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Cl was a rolls Royce, think John souttar but better. He was at Weir levels and beyond, but injury ****ed him. Mclaren was a brilliant defender.

Most fans favour atackers,  but I always like a defender , Big Dave, CL, weir, Pressley, Mclaren. 

All a personal preference, 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

scott herbertson
9 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Cl was a rolls Royce, think John souttar but better. He was at Weir levels and beyond, but injury ****ed him. Mclaren was a brilliant defender.

Most fans favour atackers,  but I always like a defender , Big Dave, CL, weir, Pressley, Mclaren. 

Big physical Hearts supporter

:groundhog:

pettigrewsstylist
15 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I remember going to old LC game on some midweek at Cowdenbeath, baltic. Think we drew 0-0.

Their CB was a revelation. Spent most of night watching him. He signed for us few weeks later.

Best Scottish CB i have ever seen in flesh. Not even close.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Big physical Hearts supporter

:groundhog:

A good defender is under rated, yet often keeps the team together,  it's not until they go missing fans notice it.

Probably as I played rb/ cd at school anaw, I was too shite to be a striker.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I remember going to old LC game on some midweek at Cowdenbeath, baltic. Think we drew 0-0.

Their CB was a revelation. Spent most of night watching him. He signed for us few weeks later.

Best CB i have ever seen in flesh. Not even close.

Yip, I thought the same about Weir, different  gravy. Weir, likley as he only had two years with us often goes under the radar. 

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

A good defender is under rated, yet often keeps the team together,  it's not until they go missing fans notice it.

Probably as I played rb/ cd at school anaw, I was too shite to be a striker.

Me too, as it happens, and I agree with you - a good defender is a joy to watch. Pressley's game management was par excellence, Levewin stylish and hard, Jardine seemed to have all the time in the world. Disco dave on a charge through the middle> One of my first 'heros' for Hearts was Peter Oliver.

HoGwash
46 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

👍 I disagree but all cool. They certainly were all great players. 

Robbo clearly offered more to Hearts than the others and is an undoubted club legend but without injuries, the ceiling for Levein, Gordon and McLaren was significantly higher than Robbo's.

Edited by HoGwash

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Fair enough mate 👍

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

Robbo clearly offered more to Hearts than the others and is an undoubted club legend but without injuries, the ceiling for Levein, Gordon and McLaren was significantly higher than Robbo's.

Even with injuries Gordon’s ceiling has been higher than Robbo’s.  Goal scorers are always looked back on more fondly than keepers or defenders though.  All of them great players though and Levein and McLaren could have had really special careers but for injuries. 

2 hours ago, AuldReekie'sBigTeam said:

Aye right then

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

5 more goals to break Robbo's record. I never ever thought anyone would even come close. Hopefully he gets all 5 v Morton!! 

Hard to see him not doing it if injury free tbh. 

The 5 penalties missed or not taken could have seen him there already, in early March!!

Im sure Robbos season of 31 (26 league goals), was season he left around April for Brown Ale and included 10 penalties i think.

Anyway with a goal average of 0.729 this season and min. 10 games left we have a chance to see history in making.

I never thought in modern era I would ever see this again.

It a significant rise from last seasons average of 0.64 per game.

Also worth noting he has done it with considerable distractions of transfer chatter, new contract refused twice, on field captain, international matches during breaks, and new manager/systems.

Then no Gino or Baz this season.

Incredible and i hope he impresses during intl. friendlies.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

PaddysBar
2 hours ago, HoGwash said:

Yeah, that’s fair although it would have been interesting to see how Robbo got on at Newcastle if he wasn’t injured. 

Thankfully he came back 👍 

Drumjambo
On 06/03/2024 at 20:28, SMJ_1874 said:

The club have never not invested in the squad however the calibre we’ve had are not good enough to get out the group stages in the conference league. We weren’t even good enough for 3rd place in our own tinpot league. Next year will be even tougher to qualify for group stage football. We know we need better than we have but we’re on the right track at the moment. We need to consolidate 3 place for the next 2/3 years and give ourselves a chance to get through the qualifiers into group stage football as that’s where the riches are.

A lot of our European campaign money from last season was spent on the hotel. We had to get the infrastructure in place first to enable us to put distance between 3rd and 4th and get closer to the top two. This has been achieved this season and going forward we will only get stronger imo. We will need to spend wisley and up the ante with quality players coming in to give us every chance. We have some cracking players coming up from the academy and the balance in the squad is as good as it’s been in the last 20 years. 

I’m sure the club will fight tooth and nail to tie shanks down to an improved contract unless someone comes in with will money for him after the euros. He’s well worth £20-£25k pw in today’s market. Our dilemma will be do we break the bank for him or do we have a salary cap as such whereby he moves on for further riches elsewhere? I don’t think we could even buy a new striker of Shanks calibre for £4M and especially when you see the money Deidco have spent on average rubbish. Shanks would score twice the figure he’s on if he was at either one of the OF. He must be considered for a starting spot at the euros and it’ll be interesting to see how much he’s in SC’s plane at the up and coming friendlies. 

Agreed about him staying and becoming legendary here but at the end of the day, money talks. I wonder what Bauld, Wardhaugh, Conn, Battles, Walker and Robbo would do if they were born into this era whereby you’d never need to work after your football career if you get the right move. 

Big decisions to be made in the summer. At least we should know if we’re in the Europa league or conference league and that may dictate wether shanks sees out the next 18 months on his contract or not. 

Seems quite simple to me If you don't want to break your 10K a week wage structure then you go large signing on and contractural end bonus . Most of our board hail from the corporate world and must have come across golden hello and goodbye bonuses.

3 hours ago, reaths17 said:

Jim Bett was great for us. Genuinely was class.