New record for Shankland

scott herbertson

Section Q
6 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Realistically, even with only a year left of his contract, we can still probably get £3m-4m for him. 

If he does well at the Euros, he'll have plenty of offers for big money.

The Glasgow clubs won't get a sniff in.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• i wish jj was my dad

• pettigrewsstylist

• cosanostra

ScandinavianJambo

Come the summer we should not take less then 5 million for him as that's how much he will be worth for us next year (just like now)....

vegas-voss
8 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

From a quick look it looks like Larsen had a run of 4 years and Boyd had a couple of back to back years above it, so must just be SPFL era.

Not bad company a poacher supreme and the best player to ever grace the modern era in Scotland imo.Shanks is a far better player than Boyd though.

Edited by vegas-voss

SMJ_1874
12 hours ago, Victorian said:

Old Firm clubs had an open goal to invest in a terrific,  proven,  improving,  supremely confident scoring machine.  Old Firm clubs reverted to the default position of not investing money within Scotland.

Things have now moved on.  If they want him in the summer then it should be £8m.  Or we keep him,  sell him elsewhere,  or somehow extend his stay.

By the time we get group stages in Europe this year then we’ll be able to offer him a better package plus a signing bonus. Plus we’ll also have extended revenue from the hotel.

Win win situation for us! 

Wee Mikey
8 hours ago, Sydney said:

I'd prefer to keep him until the end of his contract. 

The joy we get seeing him score week in and week out outweighs the joy any transfer fee would give me.

TGS 4 Mar 2023.jpg

What a table. Shankland will be on quite a few radars, no doubt about it.

chrisyboy7
15 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

What a table. Shankland will be on quite a few radars, no doubt about it.

He has had a good few mentions on sky sports new too.....he will have plenty offers in the sumer and deserves it...so glad he has another year to go so if he does it will be a good fee or he stays o his small wage which is bonkers when we have offered him a small fortune.

loveofthegame

I had actually not even realised it was his 20th league goal yesterday. He should be an absolute shoe in for POTY (should be from fellow pros and media but no doubt it will go to Tavernier or similar if Rangers win it).

Love reading these records, what a player. These types of player don't come round at Tynie too often. It breaks my heart that we're likely to lose him in the summer!!! Quite simply, completely irreplaceable and our team will only get weaker if he does leave - no two ways around that.

Holding out hope against hope that, if he does leave, it is with a Scottish cup winners medal around his neck.

pettigrewsstylist

He has to be in for several awards at end of season.

hmfc1984

Insane that Shanks has scored more than the rest of our team put together! No one else even half way to ten goals this season. Screenshot_20240306-140700.thumb.png.4e0adc4a674ca349927445e1d766fad4.png

On 04/03/2024 at 09:22, SMJ_1874 said:

By the time we get group stages in Europe this year then we’ll be able to offer him a better package plus a signing bonus. Plus we’ll also have extended revenue from the hotel.

Win win situation for us! 

Praying this comes to fruition. 

The story Shankland could write at Hearts is worth more than whatever we could get by selling him. I just hope that he's as keen to stay. He could build a genuine legacy here that is looked back on in 20, 30 years in the same bracket as Robbo. 

SMJ_1874
5 hours ago, OTT said:

Praying this comes to fruition. 

The story Shankland could write at Hearts is worth more than whatever we could get by selling him. I just hope that he's as keen to stay. He could build a genuine legacy here that is looked back on in 20, 30 years in the same bracket as Robbo. 

The club have never not invested in the squad however the calibre we’ve had are not good enough to get out the group stages in the conference league. We weren’t even good enough for 3rd place in our own tinpot league. Next year will be even tougher to qualify for group stage football. We know we need better than we have but we’re on the right track at the moment. We need to consolidate 3 place for the next 2/3 years and give ourselves a chance to get through the qualifiers into group stage football as that’s where the riches are.

A lot of our European campaign money from last season was spent on the hotel. We had to get the infrastructure in place first to enable us to put distance between 3rd and 4th and get closer to the top two. This has been achieved this season and going forward we will only get stronger imo. We will need to spend wisley and up the ante with quality players coming in to give us every chance. We have some cracking players coming up from the academy and the balance in the squad is as good as it’s been in the last 20 years. 

I’m sure the club will fight tooth and nail to tie shanks down to an improved contract unless someone comes in with will money for him after the euros. He’s well worth £20-£25k pw in today’s market. Our dilemma will be do we break the bank for him or do we have a salary cap as such whereby he moves on for further riches elsewhere? I don’t think we could even buy a new striker of Shanks calibre for £4M and especially when you see the money Deidco have spent on average rubbish. Shanks would score twice the figure he’s on if he was at either one of the OF. He must be considered for a starting spot at the euros and it’ll be interesting to see how much he’s in SC’s plane at the up and coming friendlies. 

Agreed about him staying and becoming legendary here but at the end of the day, money talks. I wonder what Bauld, Wardhaugh, Conn, Battles, Walker and Robbo would do if they were born into this era whereby you’d never need to work after your football career if you get the right move. 

Big decisions to be made in the summer. At least we should know if we’re in the Europa league or conference league and that may dictate wether shanks sees out the next 18 months on his contract or not. 

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

The club have never not invested in the squad however the calibre we’ve had are not good enough to get out the group stages in the conference league. We weren’t even good enough for 3rd place in our own tinpot league. Next year will be even tougher to qualify for group stage football. We know we need better than we have but we’re on the right track at the moment. We need to consolidate 3 place for the next 2/3 years and give ourselves a chance to get through the qualifiers into group stage football as that’s where the riches are.

A lot of our European campaign money from last season was spent on the hotel. We had to get the infrastructure in place first to enable us to put distance between 3rd and 4th and get closer to the top two. This has been achieved this season and going forward we will only get stronger imo. We will need to spend wisley and up the ante with quality players coming in to give us every chance. We have some cracking players coming up from the academy and the balance in the squad is as good as it’s been in the last 20 years. 

I’m sure the club will fight tooth and nail to tie shanks down to an improved contract unless someone comes in with will money for him after the euros. He’s well worth £20-£25k pw in today’s market. Our dilemma will be do we break the bank for him or do we have a salary cap as such whereby he moves on for further riches elsewhere? I don’t think we could even buy a new striker of Shanks calibre for £4M and especially when you see the money Deidco have spent on average rubbish. Shanks would score twice the figure he’s on if he was at either one of the OF. He must be considered for a starting spot at the euros and it’ll be interesting to see how much he’s in SC’s plane at the up and coming friendlies. 

Agreed about him staying and becoming legendary here but at the end of the day, money talks. I wonder what Bauld, Wardhaugh, Conn, Battles, Walker and Robbo would do if they were born into this era whereby you’d never need to work after your football career if you get the right move. 

Big decisions to be made in the summer. At least we should know if we’re in the Europa league or conference league and that may dictate wether shanks sees out the next 18 months on his contract or not. 

It won't be tougher next year to qualify for group stage football. Because of the expansion of all three European competitions, associations placed 8-12 will have the cup champion/third place team qualify for the Europa playoff, which offers the parachute to the UECL groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024–25_UEFA_Europa_League

Further, the new format makes the chance of getting a rotten draw (like getting the eventual runner-up as your #2 seed) significantly lower, as everyone plays two different teams in each seeding level, regardless of your own seeding level. It probably moderately increases our chances of making it to the knockout round, which at our current level will always be a stretch but one I think we could manage if everything falls right.

On 03/03/2024 at 18:37, tian447 said:

He was eating pies during the game the other night... :jj:

:laugh2:

Bongo 1874

Shankland’s contract at Hearts is set to expire in the summer of 2025 and he has reportedly told the club he will not be penning an extension.

Football Insider understands he has rejected multiple contract offers from the club, including the most lucrative deal in the Edinburgh outfit’s history.

Wee Mikey
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Shankland’s contract at Hearts is set to expire in the summer of 2025 and he has reportedly told the club he will not be penning an extension.

Football Insider understands he has rejected multiple contract offers from the club, including the most lucrative deal in the Edinburgh outfit’s history.

Without a reference, that ☝️ is worth nothing.

Boyces beard
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We will just need to enjoy him for the rest of his time as a Hearts player if this is true, irreplaceable tbh

Bongo 1874
4 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

We will just need to enjoy him for the rest of his time as a Hearts player if this is true, irreplaceable tbh

Rangers will try again in summer.

1 minute ago, Boyces beard said:

He done an interview recently saying he’s happy to pick up talks with the club in the summer again. If he’s told the club he’s no signing an extension dunno why he would say that publicly. 

BBC done an interview way him the day with their usual trying to get him away from us. can you reach your ambitions with a club like hearts? he said well we ain’t winning the champions league. Other than us having no chance of winning the league his comments about winning things at other clubs that you couldn’t win here didn’t worry me. 

GBJambo
19 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That trusted source football “insider “

GBJambo
11 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They never tried . They said themselves they had no money in January 

db211833
13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They have never tried 

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Rangers have no money😂🤣 you believe that ? I hate them mate,but I'm wise to them.

GBJambo
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Rangers have no money😂🤣 you believe that ? I hate them mate,but I'm wise to them.

Regardless, there were no offers 

Bongo 1874
Just now, db211833 said:

They have never tried 

3 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Heart of Midlothian chair Ann Budge admits the Scottish Premiership club and Lawrence Shankland are still not "close" to agreeing a contract extension for the 28-year-old Scotland striker but talks are ongoing. (Daily Record)

Bongo 1874
Just now, BigAlim said:

Decent answer to a terrible question I would say

in-form Lawrence Shankland admits he would find it tempting to leave Hearts - if another club came in and offered him something the Gorgie club cannot.

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sure a couple of their Jan signings were loads with obligation to buy. 

You can read into that what you want.

Vlad Magic
29 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Where is the report?

Bongo 1874
2 minutes ago, Homme said:

Sure a couple of their Jan signings were loads with obligation to buy. 

You can read into that what you want.

Same strategy as us with Vargas?

The Treasurer
40 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

What do you mean by again. 

They haven't tried before 

The Treasurer
26 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Heart of Midlothian chair Ann Budge admits the Scottish Premiership club and Lawrence Shankland are still not "close" to agreeing a contract extension for the 28-year-old Scotland striker but talks are ongoing. (Daily Record)

So he hasn't said he won't sign a new contract, as you posted. 

Equally, before you say anything, he hasn't said he will either 

The Treasurer
23 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We've got an option to buy, not an obligation 

Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

So he hasn't said he won't sign a new contract, as you posted. 

Equally, before you say anything, he hasn't said he will either 

Hopefully he does.

GBJambo
34 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Where in that does it state that rangers have tried 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

in-form Lawrence Shankland admits he would find it tempting to leave Hearts - if another club came in and offered him something the Gorgie club cannot.

Did they also ask him if water is wet? If any player is playing at Hearts and, say, Everton comes along and offers life-changing money, are you seriously saying you'd do differently in his shoes? Or that we should expect otherwise?

2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

So he's clearly not told the club he won't be signing an extension if talks are ongoing.

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Vargas is buttons, they are obliged to pay millions whereas we have an option we can turn down.

The chat wasn't  about Vargas and Hearts anyway though.

i wish jj was my dad

Usual off the scale nonsense from our resident insider/head of scouting/tactical advisor. 

FWIW I don't think he will be a Hearts player in the summer but he has not said one word out of turn or shown anything but 100% professionalism.  The one thing we won't be stupid enough to do is bench him until he signs a contract. 

jr ewing
5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Well short of what he wants. 

2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Usual off the scale nonsense from our resident insider/head of scouting/tactical advisor. 

FWIW I don't think he will be a Hearts player in the summer but he has not said one word out of turn or shown anything but 100% professionalism.  The one thing we won't be stupid enough to do is bench him until he signs a contract. 

It's a tough situation in all honesty. Would be tremendous if we could keep him beyond the summer and get him to extend. Looks increasingly unlikely. We maybe just need to enjoy him for the next few months and get as good deal as possible in the summer. 

He'll be a huge loss when he inevitably goes. Unrealistic to expect anything broadly similar to replace him. It's hard when we've gone so long without a proper goalscorer. To have waited almost a quarter of a century between Robbo and Shanks is almost unbelievable. 

zeke1874

The boys been phenomenal and he's a modern day legend after 2 seasons. But we should be getting players like him. This shouldn't be a one off. We're the 3rd biggest club in the league. We should always be aiming for euro football and we should win the majority of our league games. That's not ambition that's reality. Obvs we hugely underachieved in the past but hopefully that is the past now. My hopes are that once euro group stage football is confirmed we can then offer him an even better contract,  make it really worth considering. If he gets better elsewhere then so be it. 

i wish jj was my dad
11 minutes ago, Carter said:

It's a tough situation in all honesty. Would be tremendous if we could keep him beyond the summer and get him to extend. Looks increasingly unlikely. We maybe just need to enjoy him for the next few months and get as good deal as possible in the summer. 

He'll be a huge loss when he inevitably goes. Unrealistic to expect anything broadly similar to replace him. It's hard when we've gone so long without a proper goalscorer. To have waited almost a quarter of a century between Robbo and Shanks is almost unbelievable. 

I cried in 86 when I thought Robbo was going. I broke my heart when he did leave. As much as I loved Robbo he wasn't even our best player then so I absolutely get what losing Shanks will mean but we have to accept it and do what is right for tge club. If that means cashing in in the summer and taking Europe plus a £5m transfer or seeing his contract out and letting the club reset our attacking options I don't know but I'm privileged to say I saw 90% of Robbo's games and 90% of Shanks. That's not bad for any fan 👍

39 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I cried in 86 when I thought Robbo was going. I broke my heart when he did leave. As much as I loved Robbo he wasn't even our best player then so I absolutely get what losing Shanks will mean but we have to accept it and do what is right for tge club. If that means cashing in in the summer and taking Europe plus a £5m transfer or seeing his contract out and letting the club reset our attacking options I don't know but I'm privileged to say I saw 90% of Robbo's games and 90% of Shanks. That's not bad for any fan 👍

Totally concur. I was going to argue your point about Robbo not bring our best player at that time. In my view, and its probably never changed to this day, Craig Levein was the best player at Hearts at that point. It's probably easy to forget or overlook how could he actually was. He had every attribute to have been the amongst the best central defenders in Britain / Europe at the time. We've never had anything remotely close who excelled in almost every conceivable area that he did. 

We've seen something in Shnakland over the past 2 years that I never thought would happen again. You need to accept all that's been good from this most welcome aberration. 

Bongo 1874
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Well short of what he wants. 

What does he roughly want mate ?

Personally speaking,and just my opinion.

We need 3/4 players that can take the pressure off him,even if he was to sign it.

Edited by Bongo 1874

i wish jj was my dad
8 minutes ago, Carter said:

Totally concur. I was going to argue your point about Robbo not bring our best player at that time. In my view, and its probably never changed to this day, Craig Levein was the best player at Hearts at that point. It's probably easy to forget or overlook how could he actually was. He had every attribute to have been the amongst the best central defenders in Britain / Europe at the time. We've never had anything remotely close who excelled in almost every conceivable area that he did. 

We've seen something in Shnakland over the past 2 years that I never thought would happen again. You need to accept all that's been good from this most welcome aberration. 

Bang on. Robbo was beyond special but I think a lot of people around at the time forget how good Levein was. Miller, McLeish, Hansen and even Narey and Hegarty (Evans at Villa anaw) were all top, top class but Levein was actually a better all rounder. We had Mclaren, McPherson and JC who were all arguably more talented than Robbo. 

None of them carried the same talisman than Robbo but looking back what a special period that was when Scotland was easily in the top 5 of European leagues. We've had Rudi and now Shanks sincebut let's get some perspective. 

colinmaroon

If Levein hadn't been crocked playing Hibs reserves, he would have ended up in a top two team in England, Germany,  Italy etc.

PaddysBar
2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Bang on. Robbo was beyond special but I think a lot of people around at the time forget how good Levein was. Miller, McLeish, Hansen and even Narey and Hegarty (Evans at Villa anaw) were all top, top class but Levein was actually a better all rounder. We had Mclaren, McPherson and JC who were all arguably more talented than Robbo. 

None of them carried the same talisman than Robbo but looking back what a special period that was when Scotland was easily in the top 5 of European leagues. We've had Rudi and now Shanks sincebut let's get some perspective. 

Not trying to be funny but did you watch all of Robbo’s career at Hearts?

Just seems a bit odd having him as our fifth best player when he is the only true Hearts legend of all the players you mentioned. 

Oda be a JT
14 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I just read the full article that came from, https://www.footballinsider247.com/rangers-will-have-to-pay-record-breaking-fee-for-lawrence-shankland-after-multiple-offers-rejected/ saying Rangers will need to break the Scottish transfer fee (Brown £4.4m) to get him, then that quote above followed up by Rangers made several late bids in January but we were not willing to sell mid- season

Complete made up pish.

Edited by Oda be a JT

7 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

If Levein hadn't been crocked playing Hibs reserves, he would have ended up in a top two team in England, Germany,  Italy etc.

Without a doubt.