CALEM NIEUWENHOF what a player

wattie exploited

Ricardo Quaresma
14 hours ago, HoGwash said:

You're surely not suggesting that Joe Savage and the recruitment team have spotted a couple of overseas players with significant potential and then got them signed up on long term deals* to the potential benefit of the club both on and off the park. Whatever next 😱

* I'm aware the paperwork on our option for Vargas has still to be completed.

The signing of Calem goes back to before savage's arrival at the club, I'm sure

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• The Black Prince

• Watt-Zeefuik

• wattie exploited

Watt-Zeefuik
14 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Minor quibble, but after the re-merger, it's the SPFL Premiership, not the SPL, which annoyingly (and stupidly in terms of branding IMO) doesn't have a quick handle other than the Scottish Prem.

My (probably equally stupid) suggestion continues to be that the league should come up with a nickname that's uniquely Scottish like "prìomh lìog" or something in Scots that's more like "La Liga" or Bundesliga and doesn't require making it sound like the poor cousin of the EPL, but thankfully nobody listens to me anyway.

Ricardo Quaresma
3 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

Tbh I don't think I've seen him have a really bad game. Lots of quiet games where he maybe wasn't having much of an impact initially, but his positional sense and general tidy play has been evident since day 1 for me. Couldn't understand the grief he was getting tbh. Has developed slowly but surely into a must pick. He's doing it against the better teams too. If Dhanda comes in and settles quickly that will be some midfield. 

Totally agree; utter garbage on here

Forza Cuore
9 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

I've mentioned them on other threads.

Strong rumours that both Josh Nisbet (24) and Jacob Farrell (22) are going to the SPL after the current AL which ends in May. Josh is tiny but close to the best player in the AL - brilliant attacking midfielder who NEVER loses the ball and sets up many assists. Fazz is an attacking left back. Both are on the brink of the NT.

No idea where they're going but as they both came through Monty's academy you'd expect Hibs to be favourites. Hearts are known to like Australians due to their comparative cheapness, so Hearts must also be a chance for one of them. What do you need more - an AM or a LB?

I'm usually up early in a Saturday morning and catch the live A league match.

Saw Nisbet at the weekend and he is brilliant. A player I'd love to see at Hearts.  

Think Devlin with the highest technical ability.

The Black Prince
43 minutes ago, Forza Cuore said:

Saw Nisbet at the weekend and he is brilliant. A player I'd love to see at Hearts.  

He's a better tackler than Devlin and never gets penalised. No-one ever sees him coming.

There's even an outside chance both he and the Hoff could play in the next Socceroos matches in late March, although it would be unusual to see two debutants on teh field together.

naeclue
7 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Minor quibble, but after the re-merger, it's the SPFL Premiership, not the SPL, which annoyingly (and stupidly in terms of branding IMO) doesn't have a quick handle other than the Scottish Prem.

My (probably equally stupid) suggestion continues to be that the league should come up with a nickname that's uniquely Scottish like "prìomh lìog" or something in Scots that's more like "La Liga" or Bundesliga and doesn't require making it sound like the poor cousin of the EPL, but thankfully nobody listens to me anyway.

The Stoater for me. Championship is the Wee Stoater, then The Beezer, wee Beezer.

I am serious. Gallus names. 

But need a new chief - there's nothing remotely Stoating about Neil Doncaster - the man's had some kind of charisma bypass imo.

The Black Prince
9 minutes ago, naeclue said:

The Stoater for me. Championship is the Wee Stoater, then The Beezer, wee Beezer.

But need a new chief - there's nothing remotely Stoating about Neil Doncaster - the man's had some kind of charisma bypass imo.

Stoat the baw?

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, naeclue said:

💯

9 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

That cant be right , Savage has been in place for a couple of seasons before the summer which is when we signed Calem

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, Sooks said:

That cant be right , Savage has been in place for a couple of seasons before the summer which is when we signed Calem

Think he was at a Hearts match nearly 6 years ago, from wiki, article in the refs

Someone alluded to the earlier connection too, a page or 2 back

4 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Think he was at a Hearts match nearly 6 years ago, from wiki, article in the refs

Someone alluded to the earlier connection too, a page or 2 back

Did not know that mate , must have been really young at the time , like 16 or something 

HoGwash
9 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

What? We signed him last summer 🤷

Just seen the posts above. Surely you're not claiming that the fact that he watched 1 Hearts match several years ago made him a target in 2023.

Edited by HoGwash

The Black Prince
1 hour ago, HoGwash said:

Just seen the posts above. Surely you're not claiming that the fact that he watched 1 Hearts match several years ago made him a target in 2023.

Maybe it made Hearts a target for him?

gordon simpson
14 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

Tbh I don't think I've seen him have a really bad game. Lots of quiet games where he maybe wasn't having much of an impact initially, but his positional sense and general tidy play has been evident since day 1 for me. Couldn't understand the grief he was getting tbh. Has developed slowly but surely into a must pick. He's doing it against the better teams too. If Dhanda comes in and settles quickly that will be some midfield. 

spot on 

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, HoGwash said:

Fairly sure it was sarcasm, mate.

He was doing a tour round Britain watching games with mates I think. Saw a Hearts game but was never anything to do with Hearts.

Ricardo Quaresma
6 hours ago, HoGwash said:

Read the article, bud; sure there's quotes in there

...and no, that's not the script either

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

10 hours ago, Forza Cuore said:

At an absolute guess, I’d imagine with him playing with CCM he’s more likely to be going to the vermin.

jamborich

Most consistent player for us at the moment long may it continue 

The Black Prince
3 hours ago, droid said:

At an absolute guess, I’d imagine with him playing with CCM he’s more likely to be going to the vermin.

Maybe. Hearts is also attractive to Australians as there are already a few there and it helps with integration.

Nizz would already be mates with Kye (ex CCM) and played in the Olympic team with the Hoff.

gregzy2k7

Hoff is fast becoming a very important player for us in midfield,

I really like the cut of his jib,

I suppose the real question is, just how long can we keep hold of such a quality player? 

Musemic
13 hours ago, naeclue said:

League Yin

League Twa

League Three

League Fower

Sorted

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, Musemic said:

League Yin

League Twa

League Three

League Fower

Sorted

Um... wrong thread?

Musemic
11 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Um... wrong thread?

Was a reply to an earlier post on this thread!

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, Musemic said:

Was a reply to an earlier post on this thread!

I see, ok 👍🤣

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Musemic said:

League Yin

League Twa

League Three

League Fower

Sorted

Love it

Hackney Hearts
2 hours ago, Musemic said:

League Yin

League Twa

League Shree

League Fower

Sorted

FTFY

Hackney Hearts
23 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

The Braw League

The Bonnie League

Dreich League 1

Dreich League 2

Sorry - this is digressing from the magnificent Calem. Renaming the Scottish leagues requires a separate thread!

Edited by Hackney Hearts

Watt-Zeefuik
11 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

The Braw League

The Bonnie League

Dreich League 1

Dreich League 2

Sorry - this is digressing from the magnificent Calem. Renaming the Scottish leagues requires a separate thread!

The Black Prince

Meanwhile, the Hoff is cool.

Still waiitng for a few who bagged him mercilessly at the start to come crawling back to the fold.

6 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Still waiitng for a few who bagged him mercilessly at the start to come crawling back to the fold.

You’re best leaving greedyjambo in the corner picking his bum

Disser Pointon

Rumours on FB he is out for a couple of games with hamstring, hopefully social media rubbish!

On 06/03/2024 at 06:40, Forza Cuore said:

Watching Nisbet now in the AFC Cup. Don't think he has put a foot wrong first half. Look very handy.

Bazzas right boot

Lad has kicked on.

He wasn't bad at the start of the season,  but he was very "meh".

Now he's involved more, dictating play and gets around the pitch.

Shown good composure in fast paced games as well as skill and bagged a couple of goals. 

I think he'll replace Devlin going forwards, he's far more complete a midfielder imo.

Our entire midfield still lacks goals imo,  very few midfielders even have a shot or get near the box, but that's not his fault, that's for the team to improve on.

Hashimoto

The Hoff OUT for the next 3-week. Minor hamstring tear. He'll be a big miss for us.

PapaShango
31 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

Rumours on FB he is out for a couple of games with hamstring, hopefully social media rubbish!

Think there are quotes from him on an Aussie site that says he has a hamstring strain and out for 2/3 weeks. He did limp off pretty heavily at the end of the game. 

jamboinglasgow
28 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

The Hoff OUT for the next 3-week. Minor hamstring tear. He'll be a big miss for us.

Will be a miss, but fortunately only means 2 games missed with the international break coming up. Though if he was possibly being called up for the Australia team then he will miss out.

Chance for Tait to start.

colinmaroon

That is a big blow.   We really seem to get the worst of these things.

David McCaig
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Will be a miss, but fortunately only means 2 games missed with the international break coming up. Though if he was possibly being called up for the Australia team then he will miss out.

Chance for Tait to start.

Surely more of an opportunity for Denholm/Pollock who play the Hoff's position?

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, Pap said:

How long is his contract?

4 years.

soonbe110
2 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

Back for Killie hopefully. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hopefully be back for Killie, should be able to handle Morton and County without him, pity its breaking his momentum.

soonbe110
46 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

That is a big blow.   We really seem to get the worst of these things.

No we don’t.  Other than the long term injurynguys like Boyce and McKay our main men have been very fortunate with injuries this season until a couple of weeks ago Kent, Rowles, Kingsley, Cochrane, Hof, Beni, Shanks, Forrest, Grant, Clark  have been available virtually every week. Been as good a season for injuries as we have had for a while. 🤞it lasts another couple of months. 

The Black Prince

Wasn't Rowles out for a couple of months with his foot?

The Black Prince
2 hours ago, Homme said:

Watching Nisbet now in the AFC Cup. Don't think he has put a foot wrong first half. Look very handy.

I was at the game. He actually lost the ball a couple of times which is unusual.

Still one of our best though.

busbyfth
15 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Hoff is fast becoming a very important player for us in midfield,

I really like the cut of his jib,

I suppose the real question is, just how long can we keep hold of such a quality player? 

I reckoned after the first 10 games he was a waste of space, but hes developed into a man who is one of the first names on the team sheet. He goes about his job quietly, breaking up play/winning balls/ closing opposing main players down - I'd wager he puts in the most miles of all our players - easily. It also helps that he doesnt have the body language of Benni who often goes through patches in games where he looks like he knows he is leaving us. Theres a fair chance as well that Hoff is still finding his feet and might well improve on what we have already seen !!! 🤞....(He will be a big miss on Monday night but better that than risk him worsening his injury and be out for weeks on end) 

Edited by busbyfth

fabienleclerq
10 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

He's been great recently,  he was shite at the start of the season.

People's opinions can change as can a player form. He's a young lad playing in a different country,league and team. He took a bit of time to adjust. 

The first few games he played safe passes back to sender and rarely took the ball on the half turn. That's the biggest difference now he is turning on the ball and taking a positive first touch. Work rate was always there.