CALEM NIEUWENHOF what a player

wattie exploited

wattie exploited

CALEM NIEUWENHOF    

what a player Calem Nieuwen hof is becoming  every game he is getting better and better reminds me a bit of Colin Cameron ,the amount of running and covering he does is tremendous ,the ground he made up when  ATKINSON lost the ball and the hibs player was going to have a free run in on goal was outstanding ! never panics either on the ball :rifle:

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• The Black Prince

• Watt-Zeefuik

• wattie exploited

Hoff, like Vargas needed time to settle into their surroundings, both have, and Hearts are now reaping the obvious benefits.

Starting to show potential , however I am not sure how much further he will progress  , time will tell . 

Pete Elliott
46 minutes ago, fila said:

Starting to show potential , however I am not sure how much further he will progress  , time will tell . 

:olly:

Really liking Hoff and Vargas for that matter.  Hoff has easily been our best player last couple of games. 

I think one of the main aspects was adjusting to the physicality of Scottish football. He is a very neat tidy player, but sometimes you need to just get stuck in. I saw that happen a few times yesterday to my delight, which has been one of the areas he has grown in

kingantti1874

Agreed.  Initially right behind him, then got a bit disheartened.  But wow he’s becoming our best player 

AC Mallin_51

Another myth busted last night, heard many at time how slow he is. Made up some ground to get back and win the ball outside our box when hibs were on the break. The boy is beginning to look like our best midfielder, what’s even more exciting is I don’t think he’s hit top gear yet 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Another myth busted last night, heard many at time how slow he is. Made up some ground to get back and win the ball outside our box when hibs were on the break. The boy is beginning to look like our best midfielder, what’s even more exciting is I don’t think he’s hit top gear yet 

he had a languid unusual running style so I can see why people thought that initially.  

Hes not though, far from it.  

RustyRightPeg
7 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

CALEM NIEUWENHOF    

what a player Calem Nieuwen hof is becoming  every game he is getting better and better reminds me a bit of Colin Cameron ,the amount of running and covering he does is tremendous ,the ground he made up when  ATKINSON lost the ball and the hibs player was going to have a free run in on goal was outstanding ! never panics either on the ball :rifle:

Really like him.

In fairness to Natty, it was him and Devlin who ran Boyle down when he could've been 1 on 1.

Hoff had one in the 2nd half where he tried a switch of play that rebounded into Youan's path and he made a 60/70 yard sprint to make up for his mistake and win the ball back. Incredible energy.

Lots and lots to like about this boy. Long may it continue.

I must admit I was wrong about him, didn’t think he had anything to offer but I couldn’t have been more wrong. He was outstanding last night and right now must be one of the first names on the team sheet.

colinmaroon
3 hours ago, fila said:

If he sticks at his first half performance, he's already there. 

Looks so unorthodox on the ball and the way he plays but he's been very good and continues to improve each week. Some engine on the boy too, he never stops. 

gordiegords

Said it before, very good player and getting better, runs all day long. Mon the hoff

upgotheheads
8 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

CALEM NIEUWENHOF    

Yup

3 hours ago, fila said:

Do you mean he is maybe starting to show potential?

Still not seeing it as much as many on here. Did well to chase back a couple of times but offered very little (not alone). 
49 touches in a home derby, 69% pass rate. Gives ball away cheaply a lot. Needs better positional sense when opposition have ball(Ibrox a prime example), seems unaware of opponents around him. 
Last night were missing out the midfield for a reason. Shankland coming deep for the ball is telling. Midfield was poor last night, he was part of that midfield.
There is potential for a decent player and he is still learning but needs to offer more from minute 1. 
Not a bad player but nowhere near as great as some try to make out imo.

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I wouldn't compare him with Cameron but turning into a very solid midfielder. 

I wouldn't either. Don't really think they have many similarities at all other than a good engine. To me their style of play is very different.

Gordon Ramsay

He's playing better but wouldn't go that far. A few awful passes last night and caught in possession. Hibs midfield a lot better than ours last night.

3 minutes ago, SeaOfMaroon said:

Do people still think this boy is slow lol

Surely last night puts that myth of a shout to bed for good.

SeaOfMaroon
2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Surely last night puts that myth of a shout to bed for good.

Some individuals still determined not to praise him too much though

18 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Gives ball away cheaply a lot. 

I don't agree with that. He tends to look after the ball very well. Good at manoeuvring out of tight spaces when he's in danger of losing it as well.

8 minutes ago, SeaOfMaroon said:

Some individuals still determined not to praise him too much though

That's because it would mean admitting they might have got it wrong about him 🤷‍♂️

brawlad74

Hoff is doing great by me. Great energy, always available and gets stuck in. Sure some aspects he needs to work on but report card well in credit. If we had a few others working as hard our lives would be lot easier. 

Shipwrecked

Wasn't convinced about him at first, but what a turnaround in the last few weeks. Was our man of the match by some distance last night. Big kudos to Calem for working hard to improve his game and to the coaching staff for bringing him on. 

6 minutes ago, brawlad74 said:

Hoff is doing great by me. Great energy, always available and gets stuck in. Sure some aspects he needs to work on but report card well in credit. If we had a few others working as hard our lives would be lot easier. 

Similar to a lot of others, he didn't convince me at first, but now I think he's our most well rounded CM. What he can do on the ball is so much more positive than others. 

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Similar to a lot of others, he didn't convince me at first, but now I think he's our most well rounded CM. What he can do on the ball is so much more positive than others. 

Same, wasn't convinced at first.  Now bossing it.  

Edited by HopeDiouf

ScandinavianJambo

He had a couple of brain fart passes yesterday....but was outstanding in the game overall. He can only get better and that feels rather good 😊👍

Boyces beard
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

I don't agree with that. He tends to look after the ball very well. Good at manoeuvring out of tight spaces when he's in danger of losing it as well.

Totally agree, he looks after the football and has good awareness. He also has a great engine and gets about the park covering a lot of ground, he will be a huge player for us over the next few years for sure. He will also be a player we make money on if we are astute in regards to his contract.

Just now, Boyces beard said:

Totally agree, he looks after the football and has good awareness. He also has a great engine and gets about the park covering a lot of ground, he will be a huge player for us over the next few years for sure. He will also be a player we make money on if we are astute in regards to his contract.

Think we got him on a 4 year deal IIRC?

1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

Possession lost 14 times in a game he touched it 49 times. He lost it cheaply at times.

An aspect of his game he needs to work on, that and positioning when we are not in possession.

Boyces beard
9 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Think we got him on a 4 year deal IIRC?

Yip im sure that is correct mate, i'm hopeful we will see the best of him over the next couple of seasons and then either tie him down on a new deal or make a few quid before he goes in to his last year.

10 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Yip im sure that is correct mate, i'm hopeful we will see the best of him over the next couple of seasons and then either tie him down on a new deal or make a few quid before he goes in to his last year.

Definitely. He appears to have a brilliant attitude too which will only help him get further in the game.

He is a good all-rounder, can tackle, can play a bit. And he gets around the pitch tirelessly. Like him a lot.

Dean Winchester

I really wasn't impressed with him in his first few games but he has improved week on week. MOTM for me yesterday.

Luckies1874

Spoke very well in the Gorgie Suite after the game as well. Intelligent lad and you know he's the sort who will continue to learn and improve. You could tell he knew that collectively we didn't play well but that his own confidence is growing as his role in the team evolves. One of the biggest positives of the season as things stand. 

Diadora Van Basten

Looks like a different player from the one at the start of the season. I particularly enjoyed him using his body to win the ball something that was previously lacking.

Bazzas right boot

He was very good last night,  and has been improving throughout the season. 

Well done. 

Like lots of things rho his brilliance is probably being over  egged a bit and likewise with our players that are shite.

Jkb is brilliant for extremes.

33 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Possession lost 14 times in a game he touched it 49 times. He lost it cheaply at times.

An aspect of his game he needs to work on, that and positioning when we are not in possession.

As you acknowledge, possession lost and possession lost cheaply are two different things and I don't think he's guilty of the latter very often. I suspect the stats you quote there are also a bit of an outlier for his overall season. Was it the Motherwell game the other week where he had 98% pass completion?