CALEM NIEUWENHOF what a player

wattie exploited

boag1874
6 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I think he'll end up in one of the better European leagues. Looks a clever player.

Aye I can see him playing at the very least top end of the championship, he reminds me of James Milner a bit with how well rounded he is and how he just never stops working hard. I love his engine and his off the ball work, but then unlike a lot of typical hard working midfielders at our level he’s also a bit of a baller when in possession. Skys the limit for him.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• The Black Prince

• Watt-Zeefuik

• wattie exploited

wattie exploited

he is just one of our players who seem to have got better and better working with Naismith !  long may it continue !

thought the midfield was brilliant yesterday  :rifle:

7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Add Dhanda and Spittal and we'll be in a food place. Nice balance there imo.

If Benni leaves

Dhanda 

Spittal 

Hoff

Devlin

Tait 

Maybe Fraser,  Ithink he'll come good.

Denholm

I think Grant might leave.

I'd go for Jack as well.

Have I missed something re Spittal?

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, CMc said:

Have I missed something re Spittal?

Just me throwing him In as a realistic possibility.

wattie exploited
On 03/03/2024 at 15:31, ecky92 said:

Enjoy him whilst he’s here. Be more interest in him than shankland come the summer 

he will still be here next season but I think shankland will be gone but not to rangers as they will not splash the money that we want for him :rifle:

On 03/03/2024 at 17:31, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Had an excellent game, the pass for the second goal was exceptional.

Clearly straight off the training ground that move.  Feign a slip to lull your opponents into a false sense of security, then flick the ball to Shanks to bury it.

His passing stats are phenomenal as well, rarely misplaces a pass, and it's not all easy short sideways passes either, lots of forward passes.  Clearly at the age he is, his development potential is huge, similar with Vargas.  Both took time to settle and most of us were unsure about them early on, but both are really developing into exciting prospects.

HopeDiouf
6 hours ago, RobNox said:

Clearly straight off the training ground that move.  Feign a slip to lull your opponents into a false sense of security, then flick the ball to Shanks to bury it.

yep.  deliberate slip so he could chip the ball up for a shanks volley :)

Vlad Magic

POTY will be interesting this season.

First time in as long as I can remember we have 3 very strong candidates and the Hoff is one of them.

Tidy player , really like the guy . Even more incredible that he is as good as he is despite his Australian DNA 

johnking123

Would not say player of the year. Bust most improved player. Tough couple of months at start. But is now one of first names on the team sheet. Reminds met of a fit Stevie Fulton. He will start scoring goals. 

4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Would not say player of the year. Bust most improved player. Tough couple of months at start. But is now one of first names on the team sheet. Reminds met of a fit Stevie Fulton. He will start scoring goals. 

Good comparison . Also quite apt because Stevie Fulton took a while to show how good he was too

Jim Panzee

Seems like Naismith is being proved right - didn't he say he's happy for signings to take up to 6 months to fully settle?

The Black Prince
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That is you isnt it ? Noticed someone who posts remarkably like you on the Hibs forum too . ;) 

Can't be me.

Anyone who writes that well would have a full head of hair, a washboard stomach and a massive bank balance.

The Black Prince
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That is you isnt it ? Noticed someone who posts remarkably like you on the Hibs forum too . ;) 

I do post on the Hibs forum, and one of the Celtic forums. Always from the perspective of being interested in how Australian players/managers are going OS. I'm always upfront about this - I don't pretend to be a fan, although I always have a soft spot for where the Aussies are playing so that makes me a numerical Hearts fan right now.

Amusingly, I lurked on the Rangers forum for a year or two and decided to join after too many beers one night. I made less than five posts before being permanently banned. My crime... referring to Ange Postecoglou as "Ange" instead of Fat Guts or Gravy Veins or other insulting nickname du jour. That identified me as a troll - which I wasn't quite (although definitely don't support them). In retrospect, I suppose they're so paranoid they can pick a non-Rangers fan in seconds.

Kudos.

tiger Rudi
On 04/03/2024 at 08:27, Bazzas right boot said:

If Benni leaves

Dhanda 

Spittal 

Hoff

Devlin

Tait 

Maybe Fraser,  Ithink he'll come good.

Denholm

I think Grant might leave.

I'd go for Jack as well.

I certainly don't want Grant to leave. He's outstayed a few signings already. He's better than Fraser from what I've seen so far and Dhanda will need to claim the place as his own to shift Grant. Let's wait and make sure he does that first before shifting Grant on. 

At this point in time Grant is an important member of the squad. If we do go for Spittal as well, then I guess he may become surplus. 

Grant sometimes flatters to deceive and takes a lot of criticism, but when hes on it, he plays his part. 

He doesn't carry a goal threat, that's my biggest criticism of him. Dhanda and Spittal do. 

HoGwash
7 hours ago, RobNox said:

His passing stats are phenomenal as well, rarely misplaces a pass, and it's not all easy short sideways passes either, lots of forward passes.  Clearly at the age he is, his development potential is huge, similar with Vargas.  Both took time to settle and most of us were unsure about them early on, but both are really developing into exciting prospects.

You're surely not suggesting that Joe Savage and the recruitment team have spotted a couple of overseas players with significant potential and then got them signed up on long term deals* to the potential benefit of the club both on and off the park. Whatever next 😱

* I'm aware the paperwork on our option for Vargas has still to be completed.

HoGwash
52 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

POTY will be interesting this season.

First time in as long as I can remember we have 3 very strong candidates and the Hoff is one of them.

We do have some strong candidates but it can't be anyone other than Shanks. POTY in Scotland.

gordon simpson

who would have thought after all the football experts on JKB had wrote the young lad off after 3 appearances

he would turn into a good player AMAZING 

20 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I do post on the Hibs forum, and one of the Celtic forums. Always from the perspective of being interested in how Australian players/managers are going OS. I'm always upfront about this - I don't pretend to be a fan, although I always have a soft spot for where the Aussies are playing so that makes me a numerical Hearts fan right now.

Amusingly, I lurked on the Rangers forum for a year or two and decided to join after too many beers one night. I made less than five posts before being permanently banned. My crime... referring to Ange Postecoglou as "Ange" instead of Fat Guts or Gravy Veins or other insulting nickname du jour. That identified me as a troll - which I wasn't quite (although definitely don't support them). In retrospect, I suppose they're so paranoid they can pick a non-Rangers fan in seconds.

Kudos.

:lol:

Thought it must be you . It was a thread about Lewis Miller 

the_jailer
17 minutes ago, gordon simpson said:

who would have thought after all the football experts on JKB had wrote the young lad off after 3 appearances

I’ll hold my hands up and say I was wrong, I’m glad he has turned it around long may it continue. 

Just now, KyleLafferty said:

I heard spittal is st.mirren bound

Motherwell to Saint Mirren isn't exactly a money move, maybe keen to work under Robinson?

I think Spittal would be a solid player for Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen, so bit weird to see him taking a very sideways move. 

wavydavy
11 minutes ago, the_jailer said:

I’ll hold my hands up and say I was wrong, I’m glad he has turned it around long may it continue. 

I have to admit I was of the same opinion as you and do likewise. I just couldn't see him doing well for us and thought he was too slow not just in his movement but in his thinking and alertness.

But he seems to have settled now and is improving all the time, so well done to him and apologies from me.

All we need now is for Tagawa and Oda to improve as much as Calem.

jamboinglasgow
45 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

We do have some strong candidates but it can't be anyone other than Shanks. POTY in Scotland.

I said before in jest, but I think now maybe there could be a case more for it that there is a separate trophy at Hearts POTY for the best player that is not Shankland.

Or they should announce it as a top 3 with smaller awards for 2nd and 3rd, as there are players who deserve recognition.

jamboinglasgow
21 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I heard spittal is st.mirren bound

To be fair, I think St Mirren are a team who are going under the radar in squad building. I think they are quite a settled club and Robinson seems to be happy there that they could do well for the next few seasons. I also can see them nicking 4th from Kilmarnock as they seem to be having a better run of form than Killie and the two are playing each other next.

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, gordon simpson said:

You didn’t have to be an expert to proclaim his first half dozen appearances as being shite. They WERE shite and people said so. People also said he would have to seriously up his game and adapt to the requirements of the league, which the lad has done in spades. And credit to him for that because quite often, decent players can’t adapt. We’ve had dozens of them 

JimmyCant
17 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

To be fair, I think St Mirren are a team who are going under the radar in squad building. I think they are quite a settled club and Robinson seems to be happy there that they could do well for the next few seasons. I also can see them nicking 4th from Kilmarnock as they seem to be having a better run of form than Killie and the two are playing each other next.

Robinson has to be one of the favourites for the Aberdeen job. Can see him doing okay there if he gets time and money to build a squad. They’ve got a base of half a dozen decent players as it is although Miovski surely has to move this summer so that’s a big hole to fill as well as a new defence.

Spittal - Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up at Aberdeen

boag1874
28 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Robinson has to be one of the favourites for the Aberdeen job. Can see him doing okay there if he gets time and money to build a squad. They’ve got a base of half a dozen decent players as it is although Miovski surely has to move this summer so that’s a big hole to fill as well as a new defence.

Much like a couple of years ago when they sold Ferguson & Ramsay they're going to sell a couple of assets imo to make up for missing out on Europe - Miovski's obviously the big one - he's too good to be floating around Scotland with no European football on the horizon and at the age he is his agent's going to want him moving up while his stock is at it's highest. I can see them cashing in on a couple and then giving the new manager some cash for a rebuild like they did with Goodwin to have another crack at third next season.

Issue is though, if they miss out a few years in a row they can't keep sustaining this, their wages to turnover is going to be about 80% with no Europe and that will require they sell players, plus Pittodrie is going to become a bit of a money sink and will need serious investment if they don't go ahead with their new stadium. If they have a couple of poor seasons who's going to want to buy their underperforming players?

Alarm bells should be ringing.

When Naismith first came in, he said the Calem was a player that excited him but that it would take him time to get up to speed (or words to that effect). I think he's being proved right, after a slow start he's probably among the first names on the teamsheet now. He kinda reminds me of Djoum in a way actually. In terms of being a very well rounded midfielder. Granted, Djoums attacking output and skill level were in a league of their own,  Calem absolutely improving, and I hope we'll see him hit those levels. 

Just as an aside - I was looking for Naismiths exact quote but couldn't find it. Did find this though https://news.stv.tv/sport/calem-nieuwenhof-ready-to-get-started-at-hearts-as-club-agrees-deal-for-kenneth-vargas

He'd actually been at Tynie in 2018 which is crazy!!

fast_blood
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Not sure he'd want to play in the championship 😂

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Motherwell to Saint Mirren isn't exactly a money move, maybe keen to work under Robinson?

I think Spittal would be a solid player for Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen, so bit weird to see him taking a very sideways move. 

Hes always had talent, but extremely inconsistent.  Hes bounced around these clubs for a reason imo 

gordon simpson
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

You didn’t have to be an expert to proclaim his first half dozen appearances as being shite. They WERE shite and people said so. People also said he would have to seriously up his game and adapt to the requirements of the league, which the lad has done in spades. And credit to him for that because quite often, decent players can’t adapt. We’ve had dozens of them 

aye he did have a few bad games ,

but did not deserve the shit the bams 

on here spouted ,the same shit has been 

directed at a few of our player and manager 

by utter radges who are too quick to condemn

Chillidigits

Even with Kent/Halkett back in contention there's a place for Toby in certain games as defensive midfielder imo.A bit like Haring only faster. Yes he might have his usual brain farts but in a midfield role I feel his good farts would outweigh his bad farts (as farts go)

wattie exploited
10 hours ago, HoGwash said:

this :rifle:

The Black Prince
8 hours ago, 19/5HMFC12 said:

Who are the rumoured players coming over here?(and to where?)

I've mentioned them on other threads.

Strong rumours that both Josh Nisbet (24) and Jacob Farrell (22) are going to the SPL after the current AL which ends in May. Josh is tiny but close to the best player in the AL - brilliant attacking midfielder who NEVER loses the ball and sets up many assists. Fazz is an attacking left back. Both are on the brink of the NT.

No idea where they're going but as they both came through Monty's academy you'd expect Hibs to be favourites. Hearts are known to like Australians due to their comparative cheapness, so Hearts must also be a chance for one of them. What do you need more - an AM or a LB?

tiger Rudi
5 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

aye he did have a few bad games ,

but did not deserve the shit the bams 

on here spouted ,the same shit has been 

directed at a few of our player and manager 

by utter radges who are too quick to condemn

Tbh I don't think I've seen him have a really bad game. Lots of quiet games where he maybe wasn't having much of an impact initially, but his positional sense and general tidy play has been evident since day 1 for me. Couldn't understand the grief he was getting tbh. Has developed slowly but surely into a must pick. He's doing it against the better teams too. If Dhanda comes in and settles quickly that will be some midfield. 

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I've mentioned them on other threads.

Strong rumours that both Josh Nisbet (24) and Jacob Farrell (22) are going to the SPL after the current AL which ends in May. Josh is tiny but close to the best player in the AL - brilliant attacking midfielder who NEVER loses the ball and sets up many assists. Fazz is an attacking left back. Both are on the brink of the NT.

No idea where they're going but as they both came through Monty's academy you'd expect Hibs to be favourites. Hearts are known to like Australians due to their comparative cheapness, so Hearts must also be a chance for one of them. What do you need more - an AM or a LB?

Left back makes sense, especially if we look to cash in on Cochrane in the summer. We have been linked with a left back from Livingston. Josh Nisbet does sound a fun player, the kind of player who be underestimated by opponents because of their size. 

Saw Hibs were linked with Angel Torres. 

The Black Prince
58 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Left back makes sense, especially if we look to cash in on Cochrane in the summer. We have been linked with a left back from Livingston. Josh Nisbet does sound a fun player, the kind of player who be underestimated by opponents because of their size. 

Saw Hibs were linked with Angel Torres. 

Torres is a brilliant attacking player but I suspect Scotland wouldn't suit him. His game is about super fast feet and trickery and he needs a fast slick pitch for that. Australian pitches are rock hard and watered for slickness. Suspect he'd get stuck on most Scottish pitches.

hisnameis
13 hours ago, OTT said:

A player who always seems to show up well against us. Doesn't seem to get quoted with the bigger clubs somehow. Could be a good addition for us. He scores goals and is a very willing runner. 

Ricardo Quaresma
14 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Quite a stretch to call the detractors Hearts Fans when this place is riddled with hibbys

Apart from hibbys, I reckon there was people who knew early on, people who looked at FM23/24 Stats and others who didn't look properly

Watt-Zeefuik
On 04/03/2024 at 03:27, Bazzas right boot said:

Didn't realize they were fans of the fish bar.

On 04/03/2024 at 11:01, Bazzas right boot said:

Just me throwing him In as a realistic possibility.

Bongo, swiping accounts is against board rules, give Tosh his account back.