Motherwell linked with foreign investment consortium

Section Q

Section Q
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

They are in a quandry about losing fan ownership control.

To be fair they've been quite stable since fan ownership kicked in. Are they also debt free.......?

What is the vote percentage of their fan owners needed to agree something like this ? I am guessing it is as high as the very sensible 90 % with us 

Bull's-eye

One of these investment deals will come off eventually for someone. At the moment all I'm seeing is egotistic men who have made a few quid wanting a Football club on their CV.

In this country the local guy come good who supports the club has pretty much been priced out of the market so we're seeing these semi rich men pretty much bailing clubs out for a piece of a very small pie. When a Vlad type enters the building and makes a statement like he did with top quality players and CL expectations I'll start to worry, all I'm seeing now is investors doing what do, that's investing & pretty small investment at that which points to actually wanting a return.

Short term gain, long term pain.

Gundermann
11 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

One of these investment deals will come off eventually for someone. At the moment all I'm seeing is egotistic men who have made a few quid wanting a Football club on their CV.

In this country the local guy come good who supports the club has pretty much been priced out of the market so we're seeing these semi rich men pretty much bailing clubs out for a piece of a very small pie. When a Vlad type enters the building and makes a statement like he did with top quality players and CL expectations I'll start to worry, all I'm seeing now is investors doing what do, that's investing & pretty small investment at that which points to actually wanting a return.

Good post.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Tbf, Vlad was short term gain and long term pain as well!

We're actually the best placed club for a proper, serious investor.

Everything is in place and we don't need saving 

JimmyCant
14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We are indeed. But we’ve got the 90% requirement, which on the surface is a good thing and protects the status quo from predatory bids but dig deeper and it means nothing will ever change. Even a tremendously good deal with protections and massive investment would be rejected 

vegas-voss

I have often wondered why these American billionaires wouldn't see it as a far more attractive prospect coming across and completely obliterating the Old Firm dominance and then competing in Europe with a Scottish club than ****ing about in the EPL middle to bottom of the league but then by far  most of them are not really that bothered about achieving anything it's just the status of owning.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I have often wondered why these American billionaires wouldn't see it as a far more attractive prospect coming across and completely obliterating the Old Firm dominance and then competing in Europe with a Scottish club than ****ing about in the EPL middle to bottom of the league but then by far  most of them are not really that bothered about achieving anything it's just the status of owning.

Probably they would see that they would be up against the establishment, in much the same way as Vlad did. You would be farting against thunder trying to upset the OF dominance.😐

Des Lynam
2 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Probably they would see that they would be up against the establishment, in much the same way as Vlad did. You would be farting against thunder trying to upset the OF dominance.😐

Vlad’s madness pissed away a great opportunity. The amount of money he wasted was staggering. 

4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Vlad’s madness pissed away a great opportunity. The amount of money he wasted was staggering. 

True that Des, if he didn’t let his vanity get in the road….. Ach well , it could have been good.

JimmyCant
2 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Did Taylor Swift no take them up on their offer/plea then?  🤣😂😅

Only a matter of time before another ‘celebrity’ tries to do a ‘Wrexham’ and gets a controlling interest in a football club. Can’t see the attraction with a top Scottish club because it’s a money pit to even scratch the surface and you’re dumping it soon after you picked it up before it ruins you (as we know only too well)

Valois No1
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip I agree with this. Pretty much debt free. Great facilities and a waiting list for season tickets. There is also the challenge and ambition to get one over on the bigot brothers. I would definitely welcome outside investment but would want a thorough review before accepting to protect us from what happened with vlad

"fan group the Well Society currently hold a 70 per cent shareholding and that could be diluted down to around 50 per cent"

Will make a huge difference whether it's 49% or 51%. Interesting times for them!

Valois No1

Question for those more knowledgable than me. If we got investment or indeed sold the club to a rich person (note I’d be against that) who would get the cash?

Tommy Brown

It's claimed the unnamed investor from the States mad his fortune through steaming platforms and wants to increase Well's exposure around the world and increase sponsorship opportunities. They also want to revamp recruitment processes, bringing in data analysis to bring in players who can be sold on at a profit.

The Football Manager game of Monopoly.

Sick of hearing this crap.

one thing I have always said of Motherwell, is that their scouting system seems pretty good.

3 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

True but without the Vlad effect we would not be playing in a cracking stadium, with no debt and fan owned.

Gillsland jack
3 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

That's a great point, I would suggest someone needs to bring it to some American business dudes attention, packaged and presented exactly the way you describe.

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

It's claimed the unnamed investor from the States mad his fortune through steaming platforms and wants to increase Well's exposure around the world and increase sponsorship opportunities. They also want to revamp recruitment processes, bringing in data analysis to bring in players who can be sold on at a profit.

one thing I have always said of Motherwell, is that their scouting system seems pretty good.

The bit in bold is exactly what the Gordon's and Black knights group are doing with Hibs. They have all watched the film Moneyball and believe the can do the same with football as baseball. Completely ignoring they are two different sports.

They also want to treat the clubs as a franchise. That means the owner(s) run everything and they have the only say.

Fans/supporters are totally scene as cash cow and nothing more.

They have no comprehension of the history of Scottish football, and the history clubs like Motherwell, Hibs, St Johnstone have played in the community they are from.

This is a dangerous road to go down.

Take Hibs for example the initial £6M from the BK group my seem appealing now this instant, but will there be another £6M this time next year, and five years hence?

I am not convinced there will be.

24 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

fortune through steaming platforms

That’s what Motherwell bursds wear on a Saturday night up toon

JimmyCant
14 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

True but without the Vlad effect we would not be playing in a cracking stadium, with no debt and fan owned.

Nice bit of cosy deflective revisionism there 😂 

If he hadn’t fecked us into near extinction without a second thought we wouldn’t be where we are now 😂 

Edited by JimmyCant

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

If he hadn’t fecked us into near extinction without a second thought we wouldn’t be where we are now 😂 

We were already in a dire position when Vlad arrived.

Woke us up to true potential.

Gave us a few great moments.

Just a pity he was more than spanner short of a toolbox.

Often wonder if we had been a Murrayfield with that start to the season. 40k+ crowds.

He would have still ****ed it, just in a lot bigger style and a lot worse.

JimmyCant
6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

We were already in a dire position when Vlad arrived.

Woke us up to true potential.

Gave us a few great moments.

Just a pity he was more than spanner short of a toolbox.

Often wonder if we had been a Murrayfield with that start to the season. 40k+ crowds.

He would have still ****ed it, just in a lot bigger style and a lot worse.

So many ‘if only’ aspects to that era. The major and easiest one being ‘if only he had let Anderton and the other highly respected UK executives run the club and left Burley et al to get on with it. Just for that one season  FFS Vlad !

But ultimately he was a reckless fool who somehow managed to spend a fortune but leave us in a much worse predicament than he found us in

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

No revisionism - no Vlad - no Budge - no fan owned Club - FACT

9 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Think in the local men come good sphere there is still room for consortiums. What we've done and got with Budge/the FOH has an element of that, the benefactors kind of hit that description. 

Do agree with your post though, as things stand it just sounds like more of the Dundee/Dundee Utd American types that don't know what they're doing and wasting a lot of money running their clubs into trouble learning. 

Lone Striker
9 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Why do you say that ?   Andy Murray or the Proclaimer twins aren't priced out of any market to buy Hibs - they just don't want to do it.  

In Motherwell's case, they've invited outside investment from wherever - presumably because no rich local guy had already come forward with a decent  proposal.   Their turnover  is  around £6m per year if they manage to sell a player each year, so they're an easier "toy" for a rich local guy than Hearts or Hibs would be - yet they're having to beg via their video.  

Seems to me that the only "profit" an investor might get would come either from player sales or buying assets (stadium, training ground) and renting them back to the club.  Maybe some jiggery pokery around shareholding trading too.

Mikey1874

Too quick to ditch fan ownership. Of course its tempting with shorter term cash flow issues. But why not give it a chance to develop. 

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Too quick to ditch fan ownership. Of course its tempting with shorter term cash flow issues. But why not give it a chance to develop. 

Absolutely . Let them get on with it though if they must . Would not be something I was for 

On 24/02/2024 at 05:52, Tommy Brown said:

I understand foreign owners wanting to buy a club and thinking they can fix things through investing needed capital to improve club infrastructure on and off the pitch.

But whenever I see "increased exposure" or something like that, I cringe. I can only think of Wrexham making it happen, and that only worked because Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds are brilliantly talented entertainers who stumbled upon a club with a fun history that was way too big for its level. It was a perfect combination of events that can't be replicated.

Past that, when is the last not-already-large club to really take off with foreign ownership? Barnsley ran out their consortium owner. I do know some Americans bought Crawley Town with some NFT ideas and it's not been fun for anyone involved. 

America, the Middle East, and Asia are growing soccer markets. But a club like Motherwell isn't going to build fanbases there unless there is some south-of-Glasgow expat community I do not know about.

Libertarian
On 24/02/2024 at 08:02, jamboozy said:

Vlad could have broken the OF stranglehold and beaten the establishment if he hadn't behaved in such a stupid and idiotic manner. For example interfering in team selection and tactics. Vlad was the professional money man, he should have left the football side to the football professionals 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Smithian said:

I understand foreign owners wanting to buy a club and thinking they can fix things through investing needed capital to improve club infrastructure on and off the pitch.

But whenever I see "increased exposure" or something like that, I cringe. I can only think of Wrexham making it happen, and that only worked because Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds are brilliantly talented entertainers who stumbled upon a club with a fun history that was way too big for its level. It was a perfect combination of events that can't be replicated.

Past that, when is the last not-already-large club to really take off with foreign ownership? Barnsley ran out their consortium owner. I do know some Americans bought Crawley Town with some NFT ideas and it's not been fun for anyone involved. 

America, the Middle East, and Asia are growing soccer markets. But a club like Motherwell isn't going to build fanbases there unless there is some south-of-Glasgow expat community I do not know about.

Agree exactly, too often once it has worked at once very successfully, others think they just need to do the same and they will get the same success. In terms of sports documentaries you see the same with others sports after what Drive to Survive did for F1. Every sport wants it own documentary series, but none have matched Drive to Survive's impact and I think a lot of it is to do with being the first to do it (as well as certain things in the sport that work well for a documentary.)

I do think you can have new owners who can radically change things at a club and do well, Brentford and Brighton down in England showed that. But that required good investment mixed with a clear plan from top to bottom at what they will do, plus patience. The two interested parties in Motherwell sound like they are throwing popular ideas in the game (exposure to new markets by raising the brand, and data based recruitment) but not really a whole vision for a club from top to bottom.

Benny Klack
On 24/02/2024 at 08:15, JimmyCant said:

Only a matter of time before another ‘celebrity’ tries to do a ‘Wrexham’ and gets a controlling interest in a football club. Can’t see the attraction with a top Scottish club because it’s a money pit to even scratch the surface and you’re dumping it soon after you picked it up before it ruins you (as we know only too well)

Think the English guy that got the Americans interested in Wrexham did look at Scottish clubs but decided against it due to the shortness of the “journey”. Gretna for example got to the top flight and cup final within about 4 seasons. 

Mr Brightside
13 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Think the English guy that got the Americans interested in Wrexham did look at Scottish clubs but decided against it due to the shortness of the “journey”. Gretna for example got to the top flight and cup final within about 4 seasons. 

Humphrey Kerr I think his name is. He mentioned that he would go to Tynie to watch Hearts when he was studying in Edinburgh, this was during the Vald era.

Benny Klack
5 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Humphrey Kerr I think his name is. He mentioned that he would go to Tynie to watch Hearts when he was studying in Edinburgh, this was during the Vald era.

That’s the guy ! Imagine if he’d suggested us instead of Wrexham…. 

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Agree exactly, too often once it has worked at once very successfully, others think they just need to do the same and they will get the same success. In terms of sports documentaries you see the same with others sports after what Drive to Survive did for F1. Every sport wants it own documentary series, but none have matched Drive to Survive's impact and I think a lot of it is to do with being the first to do it (as well as certain things in the sport that work well for a documentary.)

I do think you can have new owners who can radically change things at a club and do well, Brentford and Brighton down in England showed that. But that required good investment mixed with a clear plan from top to bottom at what they will do, plus patience. The two interested parties in Motherwell sound like they are throwing popular ideas in the game (exposure to new markets by raising the brand, and data based recruitment) but not really a whole vision for a club from top to bottom.

The only situation I've read about that may make some sense is if The Rock bought Southend. Totally shambolic club, fun name (The Shrimpers!), wonderful supporters, and a superstar actor. But even then is there room for another Wrexham style documentary? I would watch it. But I don't think they could capture the Wrexham phenomenon unless there was a legit laying on of hands by the Wrexham people following their likely promotion to League 1.

But a mid-tier Scottish top flight club isn't going to be the place for international branding. And I don't mean that as an insult, I love the ambition and thought the Taylor Swift video recently was the right type of quirky for a good community club trying to find a way to stick out.

I do think it is odd Hibs with an American owner never even sniffed the American market. Huge Irish and Scottish diaspora. Edinburgh is a recognizable city name. I don't like Hibs, but I could see some scenario where they could try something unique in a big east coast city. But as a Hearts supporter, very glad their ownership hasn't gotten around to some out of the box thinking.

11 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Vlad could have broken the OF stranglehold and beaten the establishment if he hadn't behaved in such a stupid and idiotic manner. For example interfering in team selection and tactics. Vlad was the professional money man, he should have left the football side to the football professionals 

True, just wished he had left Burley in charge.:(

12 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

I was under the impression that they had. - Or rather, had looked at the potential of a Scottish club, but decided against due to the limited scope for success. 

I can kind of see the reasoning and I think it goes to the general poor management of Scottish football as a product. We urgently need a way of making the league more competitive and reducing the impact of the OF on a potential challengers season - once we do that, then there is potential to kind of push a "can they do a Leicester" narrative. "Break the OF stranglehold". I think that is the sort of pitch which would interest 3rd parties. Problem is, Doncaster has forced Scottish football into a box by allowing Sky to dictate that there must be 4 OF games. 

That said, when Rangers were liquidated and the newco started, obviously we lost the 4 OF games. I don't believe Sky rug pulled on the TV Deal. There was a wee bit gerrymandering to cover more Rangers games, but I'm not sure that there was a material difference in prize money for other clubs - and actually I would argue our championship season in 2014 was one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory for Scottish football - a non-OF team beating one to a title. 

I think the lack of strategic vision for our game is a huge turn off for foreign investment/ investment in general. Nobody wants to throw money away backing a 3rd team in a 2 horse race because tying up 24 points with teams with several times the turnover of the nearest challenger is wholly unreasonable. 

I'd go to an 18 or 20 team top flight, this would reduce the amount of times all teams have to play the OF to just once home & once away. I think this would reduce the gap at the top to a point where if a team could just keep churning out results against the rest, it becomes possible to win the league without having to overcome the OF. More opportunity for youth development, which meets the needs of the national team and an opportuntiy if done correctly to reduce the number of teams overall in the Scottish "professional" set up - maybe 2 leagues, 20 and 16, with the rest dropping out via a break away league. Use the opportunity to rebrand Scottish football and focus on what we do well, whilst really doubling down on marketing other teams like Hearts, Hibs & Aberdeen as legitimate title challengers in the new set up - the OF sell themselves. 

Gorgierools
2 hours ago, OTT said:

I was under the impression that they had. - Or rather, had looked at the potential of a Scottish club, but decided against due to the limited scope for success. 

I can kind of see the reasoning and I think it goes to the general poor management of Scottish football as a product. We urgently need a way of making the league more competitive and reducing the impact of the OF on a potential challengers season - once we do that, then there is potential to kind of push a "can they do a Leicester" narrative. "Break the OF stranglehold". I think that is the sort of pitch which would interest 3rd parties. Problem is, Doncaster has forced Scottish football into a box by allowing Sky to dictate that there must be 4 OF games. 

That said, when Rangers were liquidated and the newco started, obviously we lost the 4 OF games. I don't believe Sky rug pulled on the TV Deal. There was a wee bit gerrymandering to cover more Rangers games, but I'm not sure that there was a material difference in prize money for other clubs - and actually I would argue our championship season in 2014 was one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory for Scottish football - a non-OF team beating one to a title. 

I think the lack of strategic vision for our game is a huge turn off for foreign investment/ investment in general. Nobody wants to throw money away backing a 3rd team in a 2 horse race because tying up 24 points with teams with several times the turnover of the nearest challenger is wholly unreasonable. 

I'd go to an 18 or 20 team top flight, this would reduce the amount of times all teams have to play the OF to just once home & once away. I think this would reduce the gap at the top to a point where if a team could just keep churning out results against the rest, it becomes possible to win the league without having to overcome the OF. More opportunity for youth development, which meets the needs of the national team and an opportuntiy if done correctly to reduce the number of teams overall in the Scottish "professional" set up - maybe 2 leagues, 20 and 16, with the rest dropping out via a break away league. Use the opportunity to rebrand Scottish football and focus on what we do well, whilst really doubling down on marketing other teams like Hearts, Hibs & Aberdeen as legitimate title challengers in the new set up - the OF sell themselves. 

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, in the self centered, narrow minded world of Scottish football, I can't see the turkeys voting for Christmas. The bowling clubs that are needed to vote in favour would never have the foresight or cojones to go for it.

Benny Klack
4 hours ago, jamboozy said:

True, just wished he had left Burley in charge.:(

One of THE great unanswered questions of my life - just what would have happened that season if Burley was left to it. We’ll just never know 😕

RustyRightPeg
15 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

They touch on it in the documentary, why they chose Wrexham instead of a team in Scotland is because of the infrastructure of our game. There's only so far they could take us etc. He did float it past Reynolds but they said no.

Down in England there is more room for growth on the field and commercially is their logic.