Motherwell linked with foreign investment consortium

Section Q

Jim_Duncan
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

They touch on it in the documentary, why they chose Wrexham instead of a team in Scotland is because of the infrastructure of our game. There's only so far they could take us etc. He did float it past Reynolds but they said no.

Down in England there is more room for growth on the field and commercially is their logic.

Yeah, I’d imagine their long term aim is to be reasonably competitive in the EPL. That’s worth more than taking a Scottish team to group stage CL for a number of years, I’d imagine. 

24 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, in the self centered, narrow minded world of Scottish football, I can't see the turkeys voting for Christmas. The bowling clubs that are needed to vote in favour would never have the foresight or cojones to go for it.

Its why we need (another) breakaway league. 

There needs to be some admission that the league is ran by turkeys and short termism is too much of an issue in trying to set and achieve strategic aims to grow the Scottish football brand. 

Need a willingness to accept a degree of short term pain (by way of reduced away attendances and prize money) to allow the league to prosper long term. I'd go as far as to argue that clubs which have historically been on the OF away fan tit to subsidise their existance could through a bigger league have the security to cut their playing squad spending and focus more on youth where they could very quickly garner siginficant transfer fees. 

I would like a sort of replication of what the club has done, where we have a chair that is elected and a CEO tasked with managing the day to day running of the league. With a difference that the clubs vote for the chair based on a manifesto which becomes the only vote the clubs actually make. Outside of that, they are relying on the Chair that they have elected delivering on their manifesto. The TV deal for example would become something the Chair would be taking a razor like interest. 

Setting up fans groups to take a share of the clubs might also be a way of maintain the correct sort of pressure on clubs to keep doing the right thing. 

I think having a single vision and a structure which maximised accountability and transparency (here is my manifesto, this is what I'm going to do and if I don't then vote me out etc.) then I think we'd see Scottish football prosper. I couldn't honestly tell you what the SPFLs strategic goals are, nor how they intend to implement any goals - e.g. to grow the TV deal to £50m, why would Sky pay more for the same product utterly unchanged?!) 

I think a bigger league, the implementation of a community shield, a rejig of the play offs and some fresh branding would help a lot. The SPFL is an ugly acronym, the fact many fans still refer to it as the SPL goes a long way to highlight the poor branding of the league. 

31 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

One of THE great unanswered questions of my life - just what would have happened that season if Burley was left to it. We’ll just never know 😕

Yup, I even had Celtic fans at work puzzling over it, commenting that Burley and the team gave them the utter fear.

I personally thought Vlad was a bit jealous of the adulation he (Burley) was receiving. Oh, I know about the reports of drinking etc, but imo that was just the opening Vlad needed to get rid. As you say, we’ll just never know.

Ex member of the SaS

A breakaway league would be good for many of the teams and would be a great way to get rid of Doncaster and his muppets. Have a CEO voted in by the clubs every four or five years and once established get a national stadium built near Stirling, meaning virtually every teams fans would have some travel needs rather than the bigots walking down the road, while East coast fans leave at stupid o' clock to get a pint before the game.

The bigot twins would have to ask to join and the rules would not favour them as they do now. Leave the bigot bum lickers to play each other every week or get on board.

Japan Jambo
16 hours ago, Smithian said:

The only situation I've read about that may make some sense is if The Rock bought Southend. Totally shambolic club, fun name (The Shrimpers!), wonderful supporters, and a superstar actor. But even then is there room for another Wrexham style documentary? I would watch it. But I don't think they could capture the Wrexham phenomenon unless there was a legit laying on of hands by the Wrexham people following their likely promotion to League 1.

But a mid-tier Scottish top flight club isn't going to be the place for international branding. And I don't mean that as an insult, I love the ambition and thought the Taylor Swift video recently was the right type of quirky for a good community club trying to find a way to stick out.

I do think it is odd Hibs with an American owner never even sniffed the American market. Huge Irish and Scottish diaspora. Edinburgh is a recognizable city name. I don't like Hibs, but I could see some scenario where they could try something unique in a big east coast city. But as a Hearts supporter, very glad their ownership hasn't gotten around to some out of the box thinking.

They'd come unstuck trying to move the franchise to Dublin.