Bands/Artists who you've never quite "got"

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Did anybody else watch that Radiohead Clip and find themselves reminded of "Jazz Club" from the Fast Show

290px-Jazz_Club.jpg

Nice

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't say experimentation made them good, I said they'd pulled it off (in my opinion). I admire their range and scale of their music and the depth of emotion and politics behind their lyrics.

So everything they've released since OK computer is poor, even though you've not listened to their latest album? In Rainbows is completely different from Hail to the Thief, Kid A and Amnesiac, but hey, if you don't want to even give it a chance then that's your loss.

I dont like Boyzone - should i give their albums a chance?

We're going to have to just agree to disagree on this one. I love OK computer but nowadays Radiohead are one off my least favourite bands, rivalled only by the Enemy and Razorlight.

I know it's all about opinions, but this is just nonsense. They're one of the few bands who've had the guts to experiment with their music and I'd say they've been incredibly good at doing so. To dismiss 4 albums off the bat is a bit daft, have you even listened to them all? Check this out from In Rainbows

As for bands I don't *get* - Red Hot Chili Peppers were the band the trends thought were cool after "By the way" despite the fact it's dull. They were better musicians on the skag. Coldplay are another obvious choice, worldwide acclaim for being coffee shop music.

It doesn't matter if they are great or crap.The thread is about bands that you couldn't get into.

PsychocAndy

more

Amy Winehouse

Babyshambles

The Libertines

Blur, liked Song 2 but thats it.

Queen, did I mention them before

Freddy Mercury

Brian May

East 17, do they count

Dexy's, Geno was great after that I just didn't get it.

Blondie, again

Kylie, so sorry, in that Agent Provocoteur ad, brilliant, sing and acting, NO

Elvis, again

The Bee Gees, I understand they are great musicans, but not for me.

theres more but I'll leave now feeling partly cleansed.

more

Amy Winehouse

Babyshambles

The Libertines

Freddy Mercury

Brian May

East 17, do they count

Blondie, again

Elvis, again

...not wanting to spoil the cathartic experience, but it's a thread on artists you don't quite "get" .

"Bands I Hate" would ultimately cover every recording artist in the world :thumb:

more

Amy Winehouse

Babyshambles

The Libertines

Freddy Mercury

Brian May

East 17, do they count

Blondie, again

Elvis, again

:eek:

greatest guitarist EVER :)

there genuinely is no competition.

Midloth_Iain

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Keidis' (sp ?) voice irritates the hell out of me and I just dont understand the reason they are so popular.

Pete Doherty / Babyshambles - :wacko:

Basshunter - Makes my ears bleed. :mad:

PsychocAndy
...not wanting to spoil the cathartic experience, but it's a thread on artists you don't quite "get" .

"Bands I Hate" would ultimately cover every recording artist in the world :thumb:

Don't Hate them just don't get why? I'll admit Freddy Mercury came close to hate when he murdered "The Great Pretender" but apart from that no just don't do it for me.

Is this because I didn't get Blondie:rolleyes:

PsychocAndy
:eek:

greatest guitarist EVER :)

there genuinely is no competition.

Any one that has his n hers matching clothing is sad and beyond contempt he has his n hers matching hair styles & should just be put down.

I have no doubt, another band I don't get, the Brian May is good at what he does, he's a multi millionaire because of it. I just don't understand why, that's all.:(

Pete Docherty / Babyshambles / Libertines - His music is terrible, he is whiney, he looks like a Glasgow smackhead, he sprays blood at people, he thinks he's great - the guy is horrendous. How anyone can have any respect for such a loathsome creature is beyond me.

Oasis - rip off merchants, repetitive, more whiney singing, monkey boys, arrogant, think they are great, annoying, sun-sheeeeee-yineee etc, they make me want to punch things. Truly horrible, horrible music.

Don't Hate them just don't get why? I'll admit Freddy Mercury came close to hate when he murdered "The Great Pretender" but apart from that no just don't do it for me.

Is this because I didn't get Blondie:rolleyes:

I never noticed that.

How can't you "get Blondie". You clearly weren't a testosterone-fuelled teenager in the late 70's/early 80's :dribble:

PsychocAndy
I never noticed that.

How can't you "get Blondie". You clearly weren't a testosterone-fuelled teenager in the late 70's/early 80's :dribble:

Oh I was I even had her poster on my wall, but that wasn't because of her music. Debbie Harry made me deformed in my early teens, then again so did Pauline Murray from Penetration and Pauline Black from The Selector, I think that is their names, the teenage brain strain because of looking through straining half shut eyes addles the memory.:P

Oh I was I even had her poster on my wall, but that wasn't because of her music. Debbie Harry made me deformed in my early teens, then again so did Pauline Murray from Penetration and Pauline Black from The Selector, I think that is their names, the teenage brain strain because of looking through straining half shut eyes addles the memory.:P

:) .

The fact you had her poster on your wall means you "got" most of what Blondie were about, so please remove her from your hate list.;)

PsychocAndy

It's not hate thats a different thread.

I think she was in a white bin bag:rolleyes:

Bert Le Clos

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

Bon Jovi

U2

Coldplay

Anything Emo

but the worst is Arcade Fire. Everyone rages about them but I think they are crap, dull and boring.

Seems like people think it is cool to like them.

I don't count dance/R&B/Rap as music.

U2?! How? They are mince and Bono is a ****!

Radiohead - Tried and failed. Just don't get it!

The Enemy (sorry Speedy), Razorlight, The View etc etc The only one of these "new & trendy" bands I really like are Arctic Monkeys - lyric-tastic!! :)

For those who say The Smiths and Chili's - Purrrlleeeaassee!! Mozza & Sexy Kiedis! How can you not like?!?! ;)

Worst is the "dance music" that is out now like Basshunter and Cascada etc! It hurts me poor lugs & makes me very sad...

Chad Sexington

New Order- Meh.

The Cure- Fat Bob = knob.

Red Hot Chili Peppers. - Crap funk and middle aged men with socks on their knobs? Wrong!

Pet Shop Boys- Big girls blouses.

Belle and Sebastian- Big girls blouses x10.

Have never understood whats makes Ocean Colour Scene such a fantastic band, but i suppose it's all about taste!:)

They are awesome live and also got some great songs.

Two bands I will never understand why people like them are; Coldplay and Arctic Monkeys. Out of all the songs Coldplay have I only dont mind one of them. The Scientist (i think thats the one).

Right! Here's what I'll do. As you, Chester, and some of my friends are mystified by my dislike of JD, I hereby pledge that I'll listen to them again. This will be my 3rd and final attempt to try and see at all the fuss is about. Fair enough?

OK, 'Unknown Pleasures' downloaded and put on the iPod. I'll be back with my expert opinion shortly!!

PsychocAndy

more

Coldplay

Queen

Snow Patrol

Mariah Carey(?)

Phil,the FUD, Collins

Genesis

Mike and the Mechanics

High School Musical, might be because I'm 43

The Stylistics, never could get why someone would want to sing like they've got their tadger stuck in their zip

oh I'm gonna be hated and hunted down like a dog for this but

Big Country

The Skids

Elvis ,again he was so successful you've just got to put him in more than once:sterb147:

PsychocAndy

Mr X

Unknown Pleasures

If you don't find some merit in it your deaf.

PsychocAndy

Jimi Hendrix,

sorry never got him, seemingly he was great but I don't own a single track of his, I've heard plenty but they don't do it for me.

DemonCleaner

joy division too, i've tried but find them a bit boring

pendulum, everyone seems to love them but i find them a bit cheesy

Iron Maiden

Foo Fighters

The Smiths

this_is_my_story

The Smiths/Morissey - about two or three listenable tunes!

One brilliant quote from Morissey, which I hope for his sake was said with at least a hint of irony, is that "Dance music is made by dull people, for dull people."

Evenings spent with Morissey and friends must be truly riotous.

PsychocAndy

more

Madonna, not sexy just:boak:

Whitney Houston

Queen

Elvis

Girls Aloud

Leonna Lewis

Will Young

Not so much one i 'never got', but one I really don't get just now is all the hype around Glasvegas

The number of people stood outside the tent to listen to them at T in the Park was unbelievable

Sounds like utter crap to me

this_is_my_story
more

Madonna, not sexy just:boak:

Whitney Houston

Queen

Elvis

Girls Aloud

Leonna Lewis

Will Young

She's the biggest selling female artist ever, and has recorded what surely have to be regarded as some of the best pop songs of all time! In my humble opinion, if you don't get Madonna, you don't get music!

Chad Sexington
She's the biggest selling female artist ever, and has recorded what surely have to be regarded as some of the best pop songs of all time! In my humble opinion, if you don't get Madonna, you don't get music!

I mustn't get music either because I think she's utter sheeeite too.

:)

this_is_my_story
I mustn't get music either because I think she's utter sheeeite too.

:)

Cool, it's all about opinions as far as music is concerned innit! So what are you into? Just been listening to some of Madge's older stuff... now, tell me, isn't this one of the most irresistibly catchy pop songs you've ever heard?!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0X7RyGBq2E8

I dare you to disagree! :)

Not so much one i 'never got', but one I really don't get just now is all the hype around Glasvegas

The number of people stood outside the tent to listen to them at T in the Park was unbelievable

- The weegie proclaimers. End of story.

Kalamazoo Jambo

I don't hate U2, but I don't quite get why they are the biggest band in the world.

George Clinton-Parliament/Funkadelic What was that all about?.Being a Soulboy I should have known but Funk just passed me bye.I also never got the Led Zepp,Yes etc. thing always associated groups like that with the wee middle class b******s at school.

I looked up some of there live stuff on youtube and i was shocked at how dire they were. It was embarassing more than anything else. Dont know if it was just because it was live but they were absolutely mince.

So I listened to 'Unknown Pleasures' and I really enjoyed it. Couple of crappy songs but I took into account when it was recorded and the fact that, at the time, the band themselves were barely proficient as musicians. Curtis is a rubbish singer but hey, I like The Fall so that didn't matter. So overall, it was really good, I'll definitely play it again and I stand corrected! Still not as good as 'Crocodiles' though.

Jeez, does this mean I'll have to reassess my entire list? Look out for an appraisal of that oft-overlooked rock classic, 'Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants' by the utterly marvellous Oasis!

George Clinton-Parliament/Funkadelic What was that all about?.Being a Soulboy I should have known but Funk just passed me bye.I also never got the Led Zepp,Yes etc. thing always associated groups like that with the wee middle class b******s at school.

I've read some s***e on this thread, but this has to take the biscuit! Funkadelic and Led Zeppelin?! Christ on a bike!

200milesfromgorgie
I never got Belle and Sebastian.

I tried, Lord knows I tried.

Also Jazz, all of it, even the one Jazz album I own, John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, just irritates me.

can i have it?

PsychocAndy

Aye that maybe the case but I don't get it. That's all. The sun might shine out her erse but I've never seen it. Now she's like your pished auntie at a wedding, rubbing herself up against your young single in-laws.

PsychocAndy
So I listened to 'Unknown Pleasures' and I really enjoyed it. Couple of crappy songs but I took into account when it was recorded and the fact that, at the time, the band themselves were barely proficient as musicians. Curtis is a rubbish singer but hey, I like The Fall so that didn't matter. So overall, it was really good, I'll definitely play it again and I stand corrected! Still not as good as 'Crocodiles' though.

Jeez, does this mean I'll have to reassess my entire list? Look out for an appraisal of that oft-overlooked rock classic, 'Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants' by the utterly marvellous Oasis!

Mr X your a gentleman maybe now you'd be able to watch Control and then comment again on Curtis, or maybe that's too much of an ask.;)

For what it's worth I think Ian Curtis had the perfect voice for Joy Division, of course, that wasn't a happy accident.

I've never "quite got" why people listen to boyband pap.

I've never "quite got" why people listen to formulaic pesh.

I've never "quite got" why people think that copying bands from the 90s who copied bands from the 80s who copied bands from the 70s are good.

Most of all however, I've never quite got why people feel the need to foist their own preferences onto each other.

If you like Radiohead - like them. If someone doesn't, so what? Makes no difference to you.

If you like S-Club - like them. Makes no difference.

If you like the Fratellis, The Feeling, Hoosiers, Kooks, One Night Only....................then slit your throat please.

;)

Archived