Bands/Artists who you've never quite "got"

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

This post is more or less prompted by the New Order one.

There are several bands/artists who's popularity has escaped my understanding.

It's not to say they haven't had some songs of merit; it's just that I've never understood why they are so popular based on the songs I've heard.

For instance; I've heard a lot of the following bands/artists but, by and large, their songs have mostly passed me by...

New Order

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

The Foo Fighters

Robbie Williams

All these bands/artists have played stadiums around the world but for the life of me I can't understand why.

I've liked the odd song from all of them; but they've been the exception rather than the rule.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot
This post is more or less prompted by the New Order one.

There are several bands/artists who's popularity has escaped my understanding.

It's not to say they haven't had some songs of merit; it's just that I've never understood why they are so popular based on the songs I've heard.

For instance; I've heard a lot of the following bands/artists but, by and large, their songs have mostly passed me by...

New Order

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

The Foo Fighters

Robbie Williams

All these bands/artists have played stadiums around the world but for the life of me I can't understand why.

I've liked the odd song from all of them; but they've been the exception rather than the rule.

New Order - Good

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Alright

The Foo Fighters - Dont get em

Robbie Williams - Garbage.

New Order are superb IMO. Unfortunately, they are only the second best band that messrs Hook, Sumner and Morris have been in though.

I never got

The Fall

James

Manic Street Preachers

Kaiser Chiefs

Country music

Thousands more that do not occur at the moment.

Johanes de Silentio

Just cannae see the attraction of New Order, I'm afraid - vastly-rated!

Al.

P.S. (I'm no' really afraid!)

Civil Jambo
New Order - Good

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Alright

The Foo Fighters - Dont get em

Robbie Williams - Garbage.

New Order - don't get them

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - have seen them live at T in the Park and they were amazing, however at Murrayfield not so good.

Foo Fighters - new album brilliant

Robbie Williams - Fat dancer enough said

Professor.Arturo

Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Dont get me wrong, they are a pretty good outfit, seem to have taken their influence from everyone from Judas Priest to Eddie Van Halen, but I never 'got it' how they managed to get as big as they are.......after all, they are pretty decent and thats about it.

Johanes de Silentio

Oh - apparently I'm not allowed to edit my own post!

Of course, I meant to say 'over-rated', which they are - New Order, that is!

Radiohead are awesome, btw, Peanut - what the hell is the matter with you, my fine fellow?

Al.

P.S. Steely Dan - clever but smug - get them...er...pumped!

P.P.S. Elvis bloody Costello!

P.P.P.S. R.E. bloody M!

I'll be back on this particular thread, I reckon!

Civil Jambo
Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Dont get me wrong, they are a pretty good outfit, seem to have taken their influence from everyone from Judas Priest to Eddie Van Halen, but I never 'got it' how they managed to get as big as they are.......after all, they are pretty decent and thats about it.

Fair enough comment but i think like myself alot of thier songs speak to people and alot of songs come from pain and that's something most of us has experinced in our lifetime

Ryan Gosling
Oh - apparently I'm not allowed to edit my own post!

Of course, I meant to say 'over-rated', which they are - New Order, that is!

Radiohead are awesome, btw, Peanut - what the hell is the matter with you, my fine fellow?

Al.

P.S. Steely Dan - clever but smug - get them...er...pumped!

P.P.S. Elvis bloody Costello!

P.P.P.S. R.E. bloody M!

I'll be back on this particular thread, I reckon!

Sounds like clunky noise to me.

Professor.Arturo
Fair enough comment but i think like myself alot of thier songs speak to people and alot of songs come from pain and that's something most of us has experinced in our lifetime

I think age could come into this a lot as well, I'm 47 and see bands like Priest, Purple, Sabbath & Led Zep as true supergroups yet to be equaled. But I know folks who go to places like T in the park and have actually said to me "who are the Scorpions?"

Different generations.....either that or I'm getting old :sad:

I think age could come into this a lot as well, I'm 47 and see bands like Priest, Purple, Sabbath & Led Zep as true supergroups yet to be equaled. But I know folks who go to places like T in the park and have actually said to me "who are the Scorpions?"

u2

Civil Jambo

Bit of both really..............but will happen to everyone

Johanes de Silentio
Sounds like clunky noise to me.

Fair enough, Peanut! I rather like clunky noise!

I liked the Chilli Peppers' 'Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic' album, but cannae stand their recent bland corporate rock, and the guy's voice is a nightmare!

I was persuaded to spend ?50 to go and see them at Hampden last year, and they were unbelievably tiresome - the drummer was good, tho', as were 'Biffy Clyro' who supported.

Walk into any rehearsal studio in Edinburgh and you'll see a better band with better songs!

Al.

Paul Weller

Manic street preachers

Paul Weller

Travis

Paul Weller

Coldplay

Paul Weller

Texas

Paul Weller

Radiohead

Paul Weller

Idlewild

Paul Weller

Keane

Paul Weller

Paul McCartney

Paul Weller

Primal Scream

Paul Weller

Flaming Lips

Paul Weller

The Who

Paul Weller

Biffy Clyro

Paul Weller

Glasvegas

...Oh I give up, you get the gist !

Bindy Badgy

Muse - They're a good band and I can see why people like them but they've never really yanked my crank.

Muse - They're a good band and I can see why people like them but they've never really yanked my crank.

Not really meeting the criteria there then...

I P Knightley

Ra Smiffs.

Don't get me wrong - loads of decent songs and some super guitar work from Johnny Marr - but not enough to go getting wood at the merest hint of one of their songs as seems to happen with a load of my mates within the age range 39 to 42 (quite specifically).

Could list all day of course but off the top of my head;

Led Zeppelin

Joy Division

Oasis

Blur

(Post-Syd) Pink Floyd

The View

The Fratellis

Jay-Z

Green Day

All horribly, horribly bad.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
Paul Weller

Manic street preachers

Paul Weller

Travis

Paul Weller

Coldplay

Paul Weller

Texas

Paul Weller

Radiohead

Paul Weller

Idlewild

Paul Weller

Keane

Paul Weller

Paul McCartney

Paul Weller

Primal Scream

Paul Weller

Flaming Lips

Paul Weller

The Who

Paul Weller

Biffy Clyro

Paul Weller

Glasvegas

...Oh I give up, you get the gist !

I'd argue with Primal Scream and perhaps (on a good day) Travis but the rest are pretty much spot on.

Paul Weller...

The Style Council should have been fair warning...

I never got Belle and Sebastian.

I tried, Lord knows I tried.

Also Jazz, all of it, even the one Jazz album I own, John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, just irritates me.

Commander Harris
New Order - don't get them

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - have seen them live at T in the Park and they were amazing, however at Murrayfield not so good.

Foo Fighters - new album brilliant

Robbie Williams - Fat dancer enough said

I know a few people who have seen the chillis live and they have all been extremely disapointed. one was at murrayfield, the others in glasgow, and they said it was really, really bad.

I think they're decent so I'm just wondering if they're just not a live band.

Commander Harris

Also Jazz, all of it, even the one Jazz album I own, John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, just irritates me.

I can't hear Belle & Sebastian without associating it with my 1st year at uni, my stoner of a neighbour in halls listened to it constantly so know whenever I hear it I associate it with Cannabis.

I quite like their music, but probably because I associate it with that time, twas good :)

I know a few people who have seen the chillis live and they have all been extremely disapointed. one was at murrayfield, the others in glasgow, and they said it was really, really bad.

I think they're decent so I'm just wondering if they're just not a live band.

They seem to have got worse as a live act the bigger they've become. Jamming live on stage at a stadium gig? Please! I think they're OK but I did see them live in 1989 at The Cavendish (can't remember what it was called at the time. The Network?) and I was blown away, they were absolutely fantastic. But I've heard too that the Murrayfield gig was a stinker, much like their last album in fact.

Johanes de Silentio

Belle and Sebastian = TOTAL NIGHTMARE!

As a fellow jazz hater, I can heartily reccommend 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis - you can get it really cheap in FOPP - GREAT album!

Words fail me to describe just how BAD 'The 'Pr*cl**m*rs' are!

Al.

chester copperpot

Led Zeppelin - Agree (though never listen to them)

Joy Division - Brilliant band, dont get the one's who dont get them, especially the people in my age category (I'm 34 and anyone from 28-44 should love Joy

Division)

Oasis - Great band, lost their way a bit lately, still awesome live.

Blur - Meh

(Post-Syd) Pink Floyd - I love Floyd, so cannot comment.

The View - Agree

The Fratellis - Totally agree

Jay-Z - Totally agree

Green Day - Agree.

Led Zeppelin - Agree (though never listen to them)

Joy Division - Brilliant band, dont get the one's who dont get them, especially the people in my age category (I'm 34 and anyone from 28-44 should love Joy

Division)

Oasis - Great band, lost their way a bit lately, still awesome live.

Blur - Meh

(Post-Syd) Pink Floyd - I love Floyd, so cannot comment.

The View - Agree

The Fratellis - Totally agree

Jay-Z - Totally agree

Green Day - Agree.

the view are utter pish, theyre minks from minky dundee (where i live....but not by choice!) :sad:

Durdmeister

Have never understood whats makes Ocean Colour Scene such a fantastic band, but i suppose it's all about taste!:)

chester copperpot
the view are utter pish, theyre minks from minky dundee (where i live....but not by choice!) :sad:

I was agreeing the fact that they are totally overrated.

Foo Fighters

The Verve

RHCP

U2

The View

Stereophonics

Manic St Screachers

Texas

Big Country

Idlewild

The La's

Lenny Kravitz

Elvis

Coldplay

Jimi Hendrix

Eagles

Queen

Pet Shop Boys

Sting

The Cult

I could go on all day.

I was agreeing the fact that they are totally overrated.

so was i lol i knew you meant that i was just adding my opinion on, most people here love them only for the reason that they are from here.

i would rather hide the fact that i was from dundee if i was them. :o:wacko:

Foo Fighters

The Verve

RHCP

U2

The View

Stereophonics

Manic St Screachers

Texas

Big Country

Idlewild

The La's

Lenny Kravitz

Elvis

Coldplay

Jimi Hendrix

Eagles

Queen

Pet Shop Boys

Sting

The Cult

I could go on all day.

seriously?

seriously?

Yup. Im 26 tho so Queen just reminds me of long trips in the car whilst my mum played it over and over and over until I wanted to cry. They have a couple of ok tunes but most of it is way OTT guff. But thats just my opinion!

Which reminds me to add the folowing to the list

Dire Straits

Deacon Blue

The Who

bands like the View and Fratellis shouldn't be mentioned in this thread - there is nothing for anyone to get about them, they are just plainly ****e

I've personally never got Kate Bush

Yup. Im 26 tho so Queen just reminds me of long trips in the car whilst my mum played it over and over and over until I wanted to cry. They have a couple of ok tunes but most of it is way OTT guff. But thats just my opinion!

Which reminds me to add the folowing to the list

Dire Straits

Deacon Blue

The Who

i have put in bold 2 of my favourite bands :P queen are legendary i couldnt name one song that i dont like and i have most of their albums and listen to them constantly

dire straits there a few guff songs but money for nothing and brothers in arms are classics

chester copperpot
i have put in bold 2 of my favourite bands :P queen are legendary i couldnt name one song that i dont like and i have most of their albums and listen to them constantly

dire straits there a few guff songs but money for nothing and brothers in arms are classics

Skaramoosh skaramoosh will you do the fandango (sorry about spelling)

Each to their own! I just cant see whats so good about them. Queen put on a spectacular show but its all a bit too OTT for my tastes. But if everyone was the same then it'd be a tad boring.

deesidejambo

Elvis Pressley

Amy Winehouse

Pet Shop Boys

I quite like U2 but I agreee Bono is a weasel-faced git.

Bindy Badgy
Not really meeting the criteria there then...

I was a tad drunk and didn't read th OP properly:rolleyes:

Having read it properly I'. going to go for Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Coldplay. How they have achieved so much success is beyond me.

Civil Jambo

Never got the smiths and with that morrissey utter hobo pish if you ask me no one like them in the 80's but now the young and stupid seem to thinks he and they are cool dont see it:wacko::wacko:

Archived