Bands/Artists who you've never quite "got"

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

portobellojambo1
I think age could come into this a lot as well, I'm 47 and see bands like Priest, Purple, Sabbath & Led Zep as true supergroups yet to be equaled. But I know folks who go to places like T in the park and have actually said to me "who are the Scorpions?"

Different generations.....either that or I'm getting old :sad:

Agree Ratcatcher, don't listen to many of the current generation bands because I then make comparisons to what I was used to in my youth, and there is simply no comparison.

The bands of today when compared to those of the past are fecking honking.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joy Division - Brilliant band, dont get the one's who dont get them, especially the people in my age category (I'm 34 and anyone from 28-44 should love Joy

Division)

Chester, I'm 38 and cannot get into them at all despite I like most of the other bands of the time that they get lumped in with (Fall, Bunnymen etc). I listened to them when I was 19 and didn't like them. Then, thinking that maybe I'd appreciate them more now, I checked them out again when it was the anniversary of Curtis' death a couple of years ago. I listened to the first album and thought it was an appalling, tuneless, poorly recorded, dirge. Sorry!!

Adi Dassler
Chester, I'm 38 and cannot get into them at all despite I like most of the other bands of the time that they get lumped in with (Fall, Bunnymen etc). I listened to them when I was 19 and didn't like them. Then, thinking that maybe I'd appreciate them more now, I checked them out again when it was the anniversary of Curtis' death a couple of years ago. I listened to the first album and thought it was an appalling, tuneless, poorly recorded, dirge. Sorry!!

It's all about opinions of course and yours is to be respected BUT......

I don't think i've ever heard the likes before.

Tuneless? Poorly recorded?

Never in a million years mate.

:)

Gigolo-Aunt
Never got the smiths and with that morrissey utter hobo pish if you ask me no one like them in the 80's but now the young and stupid seem to thinks he and they are cool dont see it:wacko::wacko:

Aye, The Smiths were not popular in the 80's.........

:wacko:

Adi Dassler
Aye, The Smiths were not popular in the 80's.........

:wacko:

Surely CJ was fishing with that one GA.

I think one of they confused faces was meant to be a wink.

Gigolo-Aunt
Surely CJ was fishing with that one GA.

I think one of they confused faces was meant to be a wink.

Hope so buddy.

If not, it was a very odd remark to make. Like or loath, they were popular in the 80's.

the Arctic Monkeys

just don`t see what the big deal is with them at all.

and the same goes for Franz Ferdinand, they always sound like a bizarre Status Quo tribute act

Billy the Jambo

The hobo speccy uglies , all boybands ,amy wino,REM,THE FEELING i could go on but i would be here all day that is just a few bands /singers that really boil my pish

chester copperpot

You saved me the hassle of posting the same.

Right! Here's what I'll do. As you, Chester, and some of my friends are mystified by my dislike of JD, I hereby pledge that I'll listen to them again. This will be my 3rd and final attempt to try and see at all the fuss is about. Fair enough?

There's one one thing I won't change my opinion on though; Ian Curtis dances like Mr Bean.

the Arctic Monkeys

just don`t see what the big deal is with them at all.

outside queen, probably the most talented band ive ever heard....

have you took the time to listen to them yeh? or just heard one ****ty song on the radio and judged them on that?

Jambojohnnyboy

To the person who said they didn't get Kate Bush, are you talking about not getting the singer or was that a statement that was meant for another thread on here?;)

chester copperpot
Right! Here's what I'll do. As you, Chester, and some of my friends are mystified by my dislike of JD, I hereby pledge that I'll listen to them again. This will be my 3rd and final attempt to try and see at all the fuss is about. Fair enough?

There's one one thing I won't change my opinion on though; Ian Curtis dances like Mr Bean.

Fair play, and if you dont like them after the 3rd time, you must listen to Abba, The Village people etc etc.;)

chester copperpot
outside queen, probably the most talented band ive ever heard....

have you took the time to listen to them yeh? or just heard one ****ty song on the radio and judged them on that?

TBH I'm not fussed either way with the Arctic Monkeys. Some stuff is great, some of their stuff is gash. Its all about opinions though.

Everyone likes what they like, there's no real way of judging a band, unless you have a great ear for music, like me, Adi, Gig. ;)

Fair play, and if you dont like them after the 3rd time, you must listen to Abba, The Village people etc etc.;)

Please! There's quite enough Abba around at the moment 'cos of that film. Abba make me wish I was deaf.

chester copperpot
Please! There's quite enough Abba around at the moment 'cos of that film. Abba make me wish I was deaf.

Good, at least you have some taste. Now away for the 3rd coming of Joy Division. ;)

Carl Spackler

Mr X has mentioned Echo and the Bunnymen. I wee bit before my time but I saw them at Newhailes Estate a couple of years ago when they played on the same bill as Huey whatsisname and that lot. The American boys. Forget their name. Anway, I know Echo were popular with alot of people there but I didn't get it.

It's all about a time and a place I suppose.

Joy Division were also before my time but they are the dogs nuts.

Some months ago my wife and I, (who have differing musical tastes), heard a singer on radio, and agreed he was awful.

We heard the same record again, recently, and again looked at each other saying "who the hell's that.He can't sing a note".

It turned out to be Bruce (the Boss) Springsteen.

Sorry, I don't get it, but then I'm a 65 year old classical music,(but not exclusively), fan.

Some months ago my wife and I, (who have differing musical tastes), heard a singer on radio, and agreed he was awful.

We heard the same record again, recently, and again looked at each other saying "who the hell's that.He can't sing a note".

It turned out to be Bruce (the Boss) Springsteen.

Sorry, I don't get it, but then I'm a 65 year old classical music,(but not exclusively), fan.

I hear ye! The Boss gees me the boak. Got a mate who loves him and cant understand my dislike for the denim shirt wearing plum. Its total tripe.

I just don't get The Beatles..

sure they were of the time etc.. (before mine incidentally) but even now I've had arguments (particulary with students..) about the beatles greatness.. I just don't like them, is that so bad!! its not against the law is it!! incidentally I dont like the stones either.. more over-rated guff..

Also anything to do with the babyshambles or Pete Docoherty.. the mans a plum tit. Average at best.

Arctic monkeys.. pash.

Amy Shi**house.. pash.

Anything to do with dance music. CAn I have a hole in the head instead please?! pash.

This whole "DJ" business.. ie, DJ jizzybreath vs spandau ballet featuring kate bush... that type of thing. pash.

Gigolo-Aunt

Would be a list as long as an unemployment Q under Thatcher.

What I will say though is it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things. Its always nice though to meet people who really dig the same as yourself though.

Cant beat a good old La's chat, Andy.

:P

Gigolo-Aunt
Neil Young.

A few good songs I can't dispute that but he just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Very surprised at that.

chester copperpot
Very surprised at that.

Sticking with yer Neil theme mate, what's yer thoughts on Neil Diamond.

Me and my mate had a blazing argument about him last night.

Very surprised at that.

Sounds like a cat locked out the house to me. But then again I like Dylan so what do I know about vocal talent.

This years trendy retro act. If we wait long enough it will be Sidney Divines turn. His 70's output was good big singalongs but now people are speaking as if he is one of the greatest acts of the 20th century.

Gigolo-Aunt

TBH, Andy - never listened to any Neil Diamond material. Worth a listen?

Gigolo-Aunt
Sounds like a cat locked out the house to me. But then again I like Dylan so what do I know about vocal talent.

Would have thought the album "Tonights The Night" would have been right up your street as well.

chester copperpot
TBH, Andy - never listened to any Neil Diamond material. Worth a listen?

I argued with my mate last night that Neil Diamond was for people in their 50's/60's.

Listened to it and I didn't hear anything to doubt what I'd said.

So in answer to your question, naw, not really, though my mate (who's 28 and loves him) thinks his stuff is ace.

I just don't get The Beatles..

sure they were of the time etc.. (before mine incidentally) but even now I've had arguments (particulary with students..) about the beatles greatness.. I just don't like them, is that so bad!! its not against the law is it!! incidentally I dont like the stones either.. more over-rated guff..

Also anything to do with the babyshambles or Pete Docoherty.. the mans a plum tit. Average at best.

Arctic monkeys.. pash.

Amy Shi**house.. pash.

Anything to do with dance music. CAn I have a hole in the head instead please?! pash.

This whole "DJ" business.. ie, DJ jizzybreath vs spandau ballet featuring kate bush... that type of thing. pash.

do you actually like music? ;)

Gigolo-Aunt
I argued with my mate last night that Neil Diamond was for people in their 50's/60's.

So in answer to your question, naw, not really, though my mate (who's 28 and loves him) thinks his stuff is ace.

All opinions.

The little I have heard never made me run to Avalanche music though.

chester copperpot
All opinions.

The little I have heard never made me run to Avalanche music though.

Hehe Wish I'd quoted that when I was arguing with him last night.

PsychocAndy

Groups I dont get

Rolling Stones

Queen, dispise them

The Beatles, liked some solo stuff and the films, when they weren't playing

Yes, eh no

Paul Weller, and all associate bands

U2

Bon Jovi

Blondie, hated that band

Duran Duran, do they count

Spandau Ballet, do they count

Jive Bunny, do they count

Thats all for now but I'll not be able to sleep tonight because there's so much more I could add but they are in the darkest recesses of my mind.

Oh how could I have forgot the big fat nappy wearer that was

Elvis

I never got Elvis either.

If he's such an unique talent, how come so many people can impersonate him?

Kings of Leon - utter utter dung.

Best band ever. Can't wait to see them in December.

Coldplay must be the most dull depressing band ever.

Which mate; the Maroccan or the Columbian? :unsure:

I never got Elvis either.

If he's such an unique talent, how come so many people can impersonate him?

Not many people were impersonating Elvis in the 1950's :wacko:

Never really got Public Enemy. Thought there were far better hip-hop acts around at the same time.

Sergio Garcia

Manic Street Preachers

Red Hot Chilli Peppars

Rolling Stones

three of the top of my head!

Sergio Garcia
Have never understood whats makes Ocean Colour Scene such a fantastic band, but i suppose it's all about taste!:)

Wash your mouth out with soap, young man!!!!!

The Smiths - dont do it for me, cant stand Morissey either which doesnt really help.

Radiohead - The Bends was good (not great), OK Computer WAS great, everything since is just absolute tripe (FACT)

Most of all though, it HAS to be the Enemy. God I despise that band. *****

Patrick Bateman

Radiohead - The Bends was good (not great), OK Computer WAS great, everything since is just absolute tripe (FACT)

I know it's all about opinions, but this is just nonsense. They're one of the few bands who've had the guts to experiment with their music and I'd say they've been incredibly good at doing so. To dismiss 4 albums off the bat is a bit daft, have you even listened to them all? Check this out from In Rainbows

As for bands I don't *get* - Red Hot Chili Peppers were the band the trends thought were cool after "By the way" despite the fact it's dull. They were better musicians on the skag. Coldplay are another obvious choice, worldwide acclaim for being coffee shop music.

This is a picture of a huge crowd turning up at an outdoor gig

220691.jpg

Which is unremarkable until you consider that the band in question is Runrig. Yes that Runrig. Even touring without their original singer they are still playing Edinburgh Castle this Summer and have sold it out at ?35 a ticket. This just confuses me totally.

Commander Harris
This is a picture of a huge crowd turning up at an outdoor gig

220691.jpg

Which is unremarkable until you consider that the band in question is Runrig. Yes that Runrig. Even touring without their original singer they are still playing Edinburgh Castle this Summer and have sold it out at ?35 a ticket. This just confuses me totally.

Why the confusion? Runrig are the greatest live band ever. ;)

I know it's all about opinions, but this is just nonsense. They're one of the few bands who've had the guts to experiment with their music and I'd say they've been incredibly good at doing so. To dismiss 4 albums off the bat is a bit daft, have you even listened to them all? Check this out from In Rainbows

As for bands I don't *get* - Red Hot Chili Peppers were the band the trends thought were cool after "By the way" despite the fact it's dull. They were better musicians on the skag. Coldplay are another obvious choice, worldwide acclaim for being coffee shop music.

Just because you experiment doesnt make you a good band.

The only album i havent heard is the latest one, and ive no intention of doing so coz the others are so disgustingly poor.

Patrick Bateman
Just because you experiment doesnt make you a good band.

The only album i havent heard is the latest one, and ive no intention of doing so coz the others are so disgustingly poor.

I didn't say experimentation made them good, I said they'd pulled it off (in my opinion). I admire their range and scale of their music and the depth of emotion and politics behind their lyrics.

So everything they've released since OK computer is poor, even though you've not listened to their latest album? In Rainbows is completely different from Hail to the Thief, Kid A and Amnesiac, but hey, if you don't want to even give it a chance then that's your loss.

Archived