Ratings v Motherwell

Geoff Kilpatrick

tiger Rudi
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

No way Rowles was MoM.

Hard for the players though when we take threes attempts to get the formation right, we then looked much better. 

Did you think Rowles was bad? He had a great game in my view. 

3 attempts to get the formation right? Let's ask opposition managers to be sure to play the way we want them to play the next time eh.

Naismith sends a team out to win a match, assesses how it goes and makes adjustments...... Successfully. 

Its not about getting it right the first time, "getting it right" changes at any time during a match and from week to week. What was right against Motherwell may not work against Rangers. Other managers adjust their own tactics, we don't necessarily know them before kick off or know what will work to break them down. 

The patience shown throughout the team is rubbing off on most of the fans. I wasn't in the slightest bit bothered about the failure to make the breakthrough in the 1st half. Our possession stats were good, they rarely troubled us. There was just some tinkering required, fresh legs added and to be more risk taking/positive in the forward areas. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, tiger Rudi said:

Did you think Rowles was bad? He had a great game in my view. 

3 attempts to get the formation right? Let's ask opposition managers to be sure to play the way we want them to play the next time eh.

Naismith sends a team out to win a match, assesses how it goes and makes adjustments...... Successfully. 

Its not about getting it right the first time, "getting it right" changes at any time during a match and from week to week. What was right against Motherwell may not work against Rangers. Other managers adjust their own tactics, we don't necessarily know them before kick off or know what will work to break them down. 

The patience shown throughout the team is rubbing off on most of the fans. I wasn't in the slightest bit bothered about the failure to make the breakthrough in the 1st half. Our possession stats were good, they rarely troubled us. There was just some tinkering required, fresh legs added and to be more risk taking/positive in the forward areas. 

He had a few dodgy moments against Bair, not MoM by a long way
Its not rocket science, we rarely play well in a 532 starting formation, we then changed to a slow 10 behind Shankland, until we put Vargas right up top with Shankland so theres more space where he operates we don’t create much. Play Vargas just ahead of Shankland, with Oda and Forrest wide of them against most teams at home and away and we will be able to easily win games. Was anyone surprised with the first half performance when they saw the team?

4B682820-090A-4035-B037-758FC256BD54.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

9 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Agree with a lot of this.  I think we saw the difference between Nat and Dexter.  Nat is simply a more rounded player right now, whereas Dex is raw (but still very effective).  Two good options there, but Nat shades it, especially in a big tight game.

On Beni, as above, think a lot of his work is overlooked.  I do agree we've looked a bigger threat with Tait than Beni during a match.  Two things there, firstly horses for courses, so do we NEED Beni at home against the teams below us?  Not sure.  Secondly, in a way it's easier to come on and be positive after Beni has controlled the game and moved the opposition around for an hour.

In tight games where we'll be under pressure, I'm very very happy we have Beni.  Like yourself and previous poster, I also would love him to just take a risk or two more.  Well, not even a risk, just that trickier pass sometimes.

I slightly disagree on Forrest, I have to say.  I think the narrative is poor final ball, poor end product.  But I'm not sure it's the case, really.  His crossing is largely excellent, right and left foot.  Most of his shots on goal are somewhat self-created, while others would be looking to be a bit safer.  He needed to pass to Oda on that big chance, definitely, but I think his finishing and his final ball have come on leaps and bounds.  He sometimes takes one extra step is my only criticism - he could work on that.  Hes doing really well.

We'll need Beni over the next 3 games, I think its where we'll see his quality come to the fore. I'm a little concerned about Naismith being quoted as saying he's "fatigued" though. Especially with our next 3 games. Really not the time for him to need a break... great to have Devlin back though, and Hoff is clearly high on confidence now too. 

On Atkinson, the difference he made when he came on was very noticable and I think I've been guilty of not appreciating quite how good he is.. I'd been very frustrated with him earlier in the season in not really being an attacking threat (looked like he was struggling to link with the attack effectively), I think he absolutely did that against Well, and Naismith has some genuine options there. If one isn't working, he can change fairly easily. Dexter didn't have a good game, and I hope they can push each other hard over the remaining games to get the best of both. 

Forrest, ach, I get where you're coming from. I think under Naismith he's playing the best football of his Hearts career. Its just wee things like not seeing that the Oda chance was on or his miss against Airdrie where his decision making and quality in front of goal I think comes up lacking slightly. Its frustrating to watch, but I think the flip side is that he's only able to bugger up those chances because he keeps working hard. My hope is that the coaches can try and improve his composure and decision making/ awareness. 

I like that we'll have the opportunity to bring on fast technical players like Oda and Dexter over the next few games. I think especially late in games against tired legs they'll be a massive threat. 

On 17/02/2024 at 20:07, Australis said:

Great to see Oda showing some confidence and getting more involved.

Yeah, he was impressive from minute 1 when he came on.  Hopefully we'll see more of that as his confidence improves.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

On Atkinson, the difference he made when he came on was very noticable and I think I've been guilty of not appreciating quite how good he is.. I'd been very frustrated with him earlier in the season in not really being an attacking threat (looked like he was struggling to link with the attack effectively), I think he absolutely did that against Well, and Naismith has some genuine options there. If one isn't working, he can change fairly easily. Dexter didn't have a good game, and I hope they can push each other hard over the remaining games to get the best of both. 

Spot on.  So many times he found himself in acres of space down the right flank.  I think part of this was due to Oda moving inside on a lot of occasions, rather than staying out wide as has often been the case.  When he moved inside he took a defender with him, leaving the space for Atkinson to run into.

colinmaroon
On 18/02/2024 at 12:08, liam11 said:

Forrest has been brilliant this season, good again yesterday. Not exactly “bad” but he needs to get the head up more still. e.g. great chance late on yesterday and was a decent save from the keeper, but really should have laid it on a plate for Oda - game was still alive at 1-0 then

TBF it was a poor attempt.  I've said often, why doesn't the "striker" LIFT the flippin' thing.  The number of saves keepers make with low shots is ridiculous.   If he had just lifted it, he was close enough in to dismiss him hitting it over the bar unless he made a right rick of it.

Edited by colinmaroon