Clark - 7 - Another clean sheer

Kent - 7 - Won the battle with Bair

Kingsley - 7 - Much better 2nd half at LB. Linked up well with Forrest

Lembikisa - 5 - Will be on the bench at Ibrox

Rowles - 8 - MoM. Cleared danger on multiple occasions

Baningime - 6 - Kept the ball but too many crab passes

Fraser - 6 - Looked busy but things broke down for him

Nieuwenhof- 7 - Good second half and used the ball cleverly throughout

Shankland - 7 - Not his best game but what a header!

Forrest - 7 - Marked down a point for wasting a great chance. Otherwise had a great second half

Cochrane - 5 - Crowded out of the game and struggled in midfield

Subs:

Atkinson - 7 - Had he played the full 90 he would have probably won MoM

Vargas - 7 - Good goal and his strike that hit the post was so unlucky

Tait - 6 - Tidy and composed. Can replace Beni next season in that role

Oda - 7 - Really busy and unlucky not to score

Devlin - 4 - Rusty but made a couple of telling challenges

pandasaur

Agree with these.

Atkinson really improved us when he came on - can still be a bit suspect with decision making but he's always positive and was giving them issues today.

I'd put Cochrane up one for his first half efforts.

Agree with Rowles MOTM. It's been coming.

Watt-Zeefuik
9 minutes ago, Homme said:

I'd put Cochrane up one for his first half efforts.

Agree with Rowles MOTM. It's been coming.

That's the change I'd make too. Also 4 on Dev seems a little harsh, I'd go with 5, but not a big deal. He did fine. And maybe Tait to 7 but maybe that's relative to expectations. Looked like an old pro.

Forrest 7 seems fair but would also put in a mention for his assist on the first goal. Just an inch-perfect ball for Shanks, who really looked distracted in front of goal today otherwise.

4marsbars

Baningime 7 or 8 for me. Made himself available,  gave ball away once that I remember, great vision. Never a 6.

There were signs of a promising understanding between Cochrane and Fraser. But nothing came off for them first half.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, 4marsbars said:

Baningime 7 or 8 for me. Made himself available,  gave ball away once that I remember, great vision. Never a 6.

There were signs of a promising understanding between Cochrane and Fraser. But nothing came off for them first half.

I think we went in with a game plan to trouble them down the flanks and it became obvious that Kettlewell had set up his team to snuff out exactly that opportunity. They absolutely stifled anything we tried to do against the touchlines. TBF to him it was a good game plan.

Fair play to Naisy who didn't wait to blow up the shape and shifted it more to a central attacking system, particularly by the 4th sub when Tait and Oda came on. One goal came because of a free kick one in the middle of the pitch (and outstanding form from Forrest and Shanks), and the other came from Natty cutting in with the ball (and outstanding form from Vargas).

BelgeJambo

Atkinson, Oda and Vargas changed the game today.

Forrest is a real grafter.

Vargas now making up the goals we lost with Ginnelly 

tiger Rudi
58 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Forrest - 7 - Marked down a point for wasting a great chance. Otherwise had a great second half

Subs:

I would agree with most of this. Beni strolled it, it was tighter in the 1st half and he deserved a bit more than 6. Dexter pretty poor tbh. 

24 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Totally agree. The 3 above made the difference and Tait slotted in seemlessly.

Really like Vargas - plays with his head up, is direct and could easily have scored another and another day would have had an assist too. Critical we sign him permanently.

wattie exploited
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Subs:

would give fraser 4 would rather have grant on :rifle:

BackOfTheNet

“Can replace Beni next season in that role?”

Bloody hell. Let’s calm down the expectations on the laddie can we? He’s been good, but not that good. I know we are playing well so we don’t have anyone to go way over the top about In criticism, but that doesn’t mean we have to go the other way and go way over the top in praise either.

John Findlay

Substituting Cochrane was the right call today. He was totally ineffective as an attacking force today.

Naismith has an ability to make in-game changes that are on a completely different level to what we endured under Neilson. He's doing very well and long may it continue.

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

Naismith has an ability to make in-game changes that are on a completely different level to what we endured under Neilson. He's doing very well and long may it continue.

THIS. 

We have a transfer market strategy that allows for progress (remember the years or us going backwards) 

And we have in-game changes that allow for progress (remember the face palms of old where the changes made you cry)

We are making progress. It's because we're worth it. 

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, Australis said:

Great to see Oda showing some confidence and getting more involved.

Great to see him utilise his pace and take his man on down the outside, and not just cut inside all the time like he was doing previously.

BackOfTheNet
23 minutes ago, Carter said:

This is very true

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Nieuwenhof- 7 - Good second half and used the ball cleverly throughout 8 for me. he was immaculate,and deserved his standing ovation.

Subs:

Naismith. 8  The subs worked. Going four at the back with Nat and Vargas operating down the right side stretched  Motherwell, and although we had an uncomfortable few minutes as we adapted the game turned from then. The later subs with Tait and Oda just increased our dominance.

stuart500

Not impressed by Dexter today. Absolutely nothing came off for him and rightly subbed at the break.

On a positive note great to see Oda playing with real aggression and determination. Looks far more confident and has grown into the team.

Kenny Vargas too. Perfect foil for Shanks and a real goal threat. 

Kent, Rowles and Kingsley all solid defensively. Wee Tait just great. Looks like he's been there for years. 

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

“Can replace Beni next season in that role?”

Bloody hell. Let’s calm down the expectations on the laddie can we? He’s been good, but not that good. I know we are playing well so we don’t have anyone to go way over the top about In criticism, but that doesn’t mean we have to go the other way and go way over the top in praise either.

makes a lot more sense than “must go out and look for a replacement” if Beni leaves

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

Diadora Van Basten
14 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Naismith. 8  The subs worked. Going four at the back with Nat and Vargas operating down the right side stretched  Motherwell, and although we had an uncomfortable few minutes as we adapted the game turned from then. The later subs with Tait and Oda just increased our dominance.

Niewinhof got a standing ovation around me today.

i thought he was good but was surprised he got a standing ovation.

2 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

I would agree with most of this. Beni strolled it, it was tighter in the 1st half and he deserved a bit more than 6. Dexter pretty poor tbh. 

Beni is a very good player but going down with cramp in the first half is ridiculous. I thought he’d done his hammy but they let him play on till h/t so that can’t have been the case. 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Substituting Cochrane was the right call today. He was totally ineffective as an attacking force today.

We should have started with 4 at the back. Naisy needs to pick one of Kingsley or cochrane at lb. I saw the line up and said we’d go to 4 at the back at h/t as we aren’t great going forward when we play a 3 at the back. 

1 minute ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I thought he was excellent.  His movement on annd off the ball and the quality of his control and passing off either foot was impressive.     Not sure if the standing ovation was for him going off or Devlins return but the Hoffs recent performances are showing what he can bring. Been very impressed. 

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

makes a lot more sense than “must go out and look for a replacement” if Beni leaves

Not necessarily. What if we pin hopes on a youngster and he turns out to be another Harry Cochrane? For every Hickey, there’s 50 Harry Cochranes. And if we finish well in the league and cup we’d be aiming for trying to be competitive in the Europa League, so we should be aiming for better than we currently have in the transfer market anyway. As for Baningime, I have a feeling he’ll be here next season.

Niemi’s gloves
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Not necessarily. What if we pin hopes on a youngster and he turns out to be another Harry Cochrane? For every Hickey, there’s 50 Harry Cochranes. And if we finish well in the league and cup we’d be aiming for trying to be competitive in the Europa League, so we should be aiming for better than we currently have in the transfer market anyway. As for Baningime, I have a feeling he’ll be here next season.

Tait, Beni, Harry Cochrane. I know which one I’d put my money on to go through a hard season unscathed, and no it’s not Beni (or HC). Tait will turn 19 early next season, so although he’s quite small he’s not a 16/17 year old laddie as HC was. 

And for those who like such things, Tait has much greater potential sell on value than Beni ever will do, even if he (Beni) does extend his contract.

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Tait, Beni, Harry Cochrane. I know which one I’d put my money on to go through a hard season unscathed, and no it’s not Beni (or HC). Tait will turn 19 early next season, so although he’s quite small he’s not a 16/17 year old laddie as HC was. 

And for those who like such things, Tait has much greater potential sell on value than Beni ever will do, even if he (Beni) does extend his contract.

Thing is, you (or anyone) can’t possibly know Tait’s ability or potential at this early stage. He may turn out better than we all imagined, but he may turn out to be a flash in the pan like many before him. We simply don’t know. What I don’t want to do is not sign potentially quality players on the hopes of a youngster. Firstly because that’s way too much pressure on him, but it seems like a lack of forward planning. We need to give him opportunities without being reliant on him just yet.

3 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

100% agree.  Not convinced about Fraser yet.  He doesn't deserve to be starting.

27 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Was that not because Devlin was coming on after a long time out. 

tiger Rudi
5 minutes ago, Yoda said:

100% agree.  Not convinced about Fraser yet.  He doesn't deserve to be starting.

I think he's a decent addition to the squad..... Don't really see him as an upgrade on Grant tbh, but it's early days. Done ok today without having that much influence. 

Diadora Van Basten
8 minutes ago, Yoda said:

It does seem harsh on Grant who has been playing well. I think the formation in the first half marginalised Forrest and Fraser and the formation change in the second half was far better especially for Forrest.

Bull's-eye

😆😆😆😆

Kent motm again.

The rest playing to a very clever gameplan thats eluded the jkb experts so far.

Onwards and upwards.

ArcticJambo

While all of the first half back three were generally fine, I'd be favouring Frankie kent as the one above the other two. Kingsley still looks uncomfortable in that RCB position but absolutely strolled it once he moved inside as part of a back four.

WheatfieldWarrior
4 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

Honestly thought Beni was poor today, a 4 or a 5 at best.  I would still start him for Rangers though.

BangkokHearts
6 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Didn't make a single mistake all game as far as I could see.

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Was that not because Devlin was coming on after a long time out. 

It could also have been both? 

Diadora Van Basten

I think Kent deserves a special mention he has been absolutely solid recently and is so consistent and reliable. A great signing.

13 hours ago, Carter said:

He's played at the top level and worked under some very good managers. He has a lot of experience and it looks like he's taken lots of knowledge on board.

He'll only get better as a gaffer.

13 hours ago, stuart500 said:

Not impressed by Dexter today. Absolutely nothing came off for him and rightly subbed at the break.

On a positive note great to see Oda playing with real aggression and determination. Looks far more confident and has grown into the team.

Kenny Vargas too. Perfect foil for Shanks and a real goal threat. 

Kent, Rowles and Kingsley all solid defensively. Wee Tait just great. Looks like he's been there for years. 

I think Shankland and Vargas have a really good relationship and seem to get on well. The whole squad looks together.

12 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Honestly thought Beni was poor today, a 4 or a 5 at best.  I would still start him for Rangers though.

I agree, I wouldn't play him against Rangers, we need a ball winner who can play forward in there.

I find Forrest such a frustrating player, the workrate is there and the desire, effort etc. but the lack of final product is glaring. I suppose if he had everything he'd not be here, its just frustrating that he creates so many good chances for himself which he can't convert. 

Not by any means criticising him though, his attitude is absolutely first class and his sheer endevour is at the centre of most of what we do well when attacking. 

I did feel Beni was very poor today - I think he struggles when teams sit in. I don't believe he has much confidence in his own range of passing. Like, when he plays a forward pass he only ever seems to take that forward option when it is 100% on, if its anything less than that it goes backwards or sideways. Versus someone like Grant, Fraser or Hoff that can actually break lines with their passing and don't get phased when it doesn't work. If Beni could be less risk averse with how he approaches forward play, I think we would be all the better for it. Say it quietly, but I think Tait could overtake him in c18 months. 

Dexter really struggled, I think he got 1 very good cross in during the first half and that was about it for him. Atkinson looked very assured and through his ability to cut infield I think caused Motherwell a lot of issues. 

Outside of that, I think broadly speaking we did well. This was a very defensive Motherwell team that didn't turn up to give us a game. Its probably one of the many reasons I want to see a bigger league, move away from tying up so many points with so few teams and encourage teams to make more of a go of it away from home. 

Vargas looks like he's settled, he looks a viable option now and I'm gutted he didn't score that superb effort, but very pleased he got on the score sheet. 

Naismith seems to have a real knack for making game changing subs and changes to structure. I believe Savage or McKinley made this point early in the season when he was under a lot of fire and IMO we hadn't seen much evidence of that at that point, we most certainly have now. 

I'm really intrigued on how we get on against Celtic & Rangers in the games coming up. I don't think either have looked like world beaters in recent weeks, difficulty is that they generally find a way to win and much like our game against Celtic at Celtic Park, we need to outclass them start to finish to actually have any hope of taking all 3 points (which is obviously a tall order given the quality and depth they have). 

AlphonseCapone
14 minutes ago, OTT said:

I find Forrest such a frustrating player, the workrate is there and the desire, effort etc. but the lack of final product is glaring. I suppose if he had everything he'd not be here, its just frustrating that he creates so many good chances for himself which he can't convert. 

Not by any means criticising him though, his attitude is absolutely first class and his sheer endevour is at the centre of most of what we do well when attacking. 

I did feel Beni was very poor today - I think he struggles when teams sit in. I don't believe he has much confidence in his own range of passing. Like, when he plays a forward pass he only ever seems to take that forward option when it is 100% on, if its anything less than that it goes backwards or sideways. Versus someone like Grant, Fraser or Hoff that can actually break lines with their passing and don't get phased when it doesn't work. If Beni could be less risk averse with how he approaches forward play, I think we would be all the better for it. Say it quietly, but I think Tait could overtake him in c18 months. 

Dexter really struggled, I think he got 1 very good cross in during the first half and that was about it for him. Atkinson looked very assured and through his ability to cut infield I think caused Motherwell a lot of issues. 

Outside of that, I think broadly speaking we did well. This was a very defensive Motherwell team that didn't turn up to give us a game. Its probably one of the many reasons I want to see a bigger league, move away from tying up so many points with so few teams and encourage teams to make more of a go of it away from home. 

Vargas looks like he's settled, he looks a viable option now and I'm gutted he didn't score that superb effort, but very pleased he got on the score sheet. 

Naismith seems to have a real knack for making game changing subs and changes to structure. I believe Savage or McKinley made this point early in the season when he was under a lot of fire and IMO we hadn't seen much evidence of that at that point, we most certainly have now. 

I'm really intrigued on how we get on against Celtic & Rangers in the games coming up. I don't think either have looked like world beaters in recent weeks, difficulty is that they generally find a way to win and much like our game against Celtic at Celtic Park, we need to outclass them start to finish to actually have any hope of taking all 3 points (which is obviously a tall order given the quality and depth they have). 

Another way to look at Forrest, he naturally has the attributes you can't train but needs to work on the ones you can, not a bad place to be if you've got a good coaching team and players around you, which we do.

south morocco
7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Another way to look at Forrest, he naturally has the attributes you can't train but needs to work on the ones you can, not a bad place to be if you've got a good coaching team and players around you, which we do.

Yeah and it shows this season. Vastly improved 

Forrest has been brilliant this season, good again yesterday. Not exactly “bad” but he needs to get the head up more still. e.g. great chance late on yesterday and was a decent save from the keeper, but really should have laid it on a plate for Oda - game was still alive at 1-0 then

colinmaroon

Clark - 7 - Another clean sheet

Baningime - 6 - Kept the ball but too many crab passes - largely his job.  Retained possession and he did break forward when there was an opening.  He was also heavily marked

Nieuwenhof- 8 - Good second half and used the ball cleverly throughout, also ran at the defence.  Contributes in and around the box.

Subs:

Atkinson - 7 - Had he played the full 90 he would have probably won MoM - Agreed, he must play at Ibrox

Edited by colinmaroon

Pasquale for King

The GK had practically nothing to do, didn’t come for one easy ball then nearly conceded from a looping shot he should’ve caught. 
No way Rowles was MoM. Forrest missed a sitter also. Hard for the players though when we take threes attempts to get the formation right, we then looked much better. 

On 18/02/2024 at 11:12, H2 said:

I agree, I wouldn't play him against Rangers, we need a ball winner who can play forward in there.

Not sure I agree on dropping Beni for Rangers.  It's exactly the type of game we DO need him for.  Motherwell at home, I see an argument, but Rangers, Celtic, even Hibs, Aberdeen, he's controlling that midfield.  He's the calm head, he's always where he should be.  He was massive against Celtic in our win.

On 18/02/2024 at 11:38, OTT said:

Agree with a lot of this.  I think we saw the difference between Nat and Dexter.  Nat is simply a more rounded player right now, whereas Dex is raw (but still very effective).  Two good options there, but Nat shades it, especially in a big tight game.

On Beni, as above, think a lot of his work is overlooked.  I do agree we've looked a bigger threat with Tait than Beni during a match.  Two things there, firstly horses for courses, so do we NEED Beni at home against the teams below us?  Not sure.  Secondly, in a way it's easier to come on and be positive after Beni has controlled the game and moved the opposition around for an hour.

In tight games where we'll be under pressure, I'm very very happy we have Beni.  Like yourself and previous poster, I also would love him to just take a risk or two more.  Well, not even a risk, just that trickier pass sometimes.

I slightly disagree on Forrest, I have to say.  I think the narrative is poor final ball, poor end product.  But I'm not sure it's the case, really.  His crossing is largely excellent, right and left foot.  Most of his shots on goal are somewhat self-created, while others would be looking to be a bit safer.  He needed to pass to Oda on that big chance, definitely, but I think his finishing and his final ball have come on leaps and bounds.  He sometimes takes one extra step is my only criticism - he could work on that.  Hes doing really well.

LokamotivRobbo
6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Not sure I agree on dropping Beni for Rangers.  It's exactly the type of game we DO need him for.  Motherwell at home, I see an argument, but Rangers, Celtic, even Hibs, Aberdeen, he's controlling that midfield.  He's the calm head, he's always where he should be.  He was massive against Celtic in our win.

Agree with a lot of this.  I think we saw the difference between Nat and Dexter.  Nat is simply a more rounded player right now, whereas Dex is raw (but still very effective).  Two good options there, but Nat shades it, especially in a big tight game.

On Beni, as above, think a lot of his work is overlooked.  I do agree we've looked a bigger threat with Tait than Beni during a match.  Two things there, firstly horses for courses, so do we NEED Beni at home against the teams below us?  Not sure.  Secondly, in a way it's easier to come on and be positive after Beni has controlled the game and moved the opposition around for an hour.

In tight games where we'll be under pressure, I'm very very happy we have Beni.  Like yourself and previous poster, I also would love him to just take a risk or two more.  Well, not even a risk, just that trickier pass sometimes.

I slightly disagree on Forrest, I have to say.  I think the narrative is poor final ball, poor end product.  But I'm not sure it's the case, really.  His crossing is largely excellent, right and left foot.  Most of his shots on goal are somewhat self-created, while others would be looking to be a bit safer.  He needed to pass to Oda on that big chance, definitely, but I think his finishing and his final ball have come on leaps and bounds.  He sometimes takes one extra step is my only criticism - he could work on that.  Hes doing really well.

Agree with this. And re the perception about Forrest’s lack of end product - let’s not forget it was his pinpoint cross from the free kick that made the opener.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

98%!

...the other 2%, he needs a wee bit of composure when through on the keeper...which is one of those marginal gains that I'm certain SN will be working with him on