Grandson

jamborich

Jim_Duncan
3 hours ago, jamborich said:

Love it so looking forward to taking him to his first game 

Nice one. How old is he?

My dear departed grandfather took me to my first game; think it was v Hamilton or St Mirren. I was too young to get it although do remember being confused as to why our own players were firing shots at Henry Smith; it was the warmup!

My wife was pregnant with our first son when Vlad issued his “next home game then lights out” warning, so I made sure I dragged her along to the stadium to say he’d been to Tynie. He’s now a regular and, although I gave up our STs this year, is always asking to go to games. 

Jamstomorrow

Hopefully a better experience for him than the hobo grandson who got taken to Fester Road for his first game and saw h1b5 get pumped!  

AlimOzturk

I loved going to the football with my grandad. Miss him dearly. 

Your grandson will cherish the memories going to the football. 

hmfc_steve

First game at 6 yrs old I got taken to by grandad was 1965 Kilmarnock where we lost the league ! .. that set my destiny with Hearts .. then my first cup final 1968 .. and lost that too !  .. pattern beginning here 😄

Fxxx the SPFL

I love taking the grand-kids to the games difficult getting them tickets these days and all boys six, five four and three usually only get one at a time thankfully.

AlimOzturk

As I work mental hours over two jobs I struggle to get to all the home games. My retired dad thankfully takes my oldest and most likely will be taking the youngest son as well. 

Big ups to the amazing grandparents of this world. 

4 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Hopefully a better experience for him than the hobo grandson who got taken to Fester Road for his first game and saw h1b5 get pumped!  

First thing that came to mind for me too :rofl: 

Fort Vallance

I started taking my oldest grandson nearly 12 years ago. Then his brother a few years of years later. Both over 6' now so it's more a case of them taking me now. Love the whole matchday experience with them. 

been here before
4 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

19 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

First thing that came to mind for me too :rofl: 

Same here, a truly titanic thread, just fantastic.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?365365-Grandson-s-first-game

My late Grandad was a born-and-bred Leither, and dyed-in-the-wool Hibs fan. Thankfully he was the only one and the rest of the family were Hearts fans. 

I can't bear to think what it must feel like being a fan of a club who play second fiddle to their city rivals.

I'm 40 years old and still have a season ticket with my old man. I will be forever grateful that there was no option other than Hearts!

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, hmfc_steve said:

First game at 6 yrs old I got taken to by grandad was 1965 Kilmarnock where we lost the league ! .. that set my destiny with Hearts .. then my first cup final 1968 .. and lost that too !  .. pattern beginning here 😄

That's class! Hopefully the wee man brings some better luck than you did 😉

Motherwell seems to be a good first game for my family haha - both mine and my wee boy's first games were home to Motherwell.

Mine was in 1992 and we beat them 2-0 and my wee boy's was the 6-0 win in 2016. 

Edited by Batistuta87

LOL - reminds me of when I took my 4-year old son. He very nearly got on to the pitch during the game while my back was turned...

Craig Herbertson

My granddad took me when I was around five years old, Still remember trying to fish a half crown out of a crevasse in the terracing with a lollipop stick. I believe we won 5-2 against Airdrie. Great memories and for me what supporting Hearts is all about.

9 hours ago, jamborich said:

Brilliant mate have a great day , he will always remember his first game with his grandad ♥️

A_A wehatethehibs

Different class. My grandad watched the great 1950s Hearts sides. Sadly he was too old and immobile by the time I was getting to my first games, then the chance to bring him to a game was sadly gone. But he bought me my first Hearts jersey, 1996 strongbow !

colinmorewasgash

My grandad took my dad and me to my first hearts game in gorgie road end sept 73 2-2 v dundee. I was only 4 but remember some of the game and wandering up and down the steps it was pretty empty only 13k I think. I do remember the scoreboard ht results at that end but not much else although looking it up now we were 2 down at one stage. We went to Ibrox a week later and won 0 3 shows you how bizarre football can be.

Shipwrecked
7 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Nice one. How old is he?

My dear departed grandfather took me to my first game; think it was v Hamilton or St Mirren. I was too young to get it although do remember being confused as to why our own players were firing shots at Henry Smith; it was the warmup!

My wife was pregnant with our first son when Vlad issued his “next home game then lights out” warning, so I made sure I dragged her along to the stadium to say he’d been to Tynie. He’s now a regular and, although I gave up our STs this year, is always asking to go to games. 

That game was the first one I took my son to see , in case it was the only chance he'd get to see Hearts at Tynecastle. He was too wee to understand, but at least he saw them win. Now both him and his sister have season tickets. So far they've seen promotions, demotion, cup finals, European nights, derby wins, big wins and losses, and parts of Scotland you would otherwise never go to. All that is missing now is a trophy! 

My laddies 3 now and I’m tempted to take him to a summer friendly, mrs isnt too chuffed but I’m itching to bring him :lol:  He even signs the Shankland song.

Fxxx the SPFL
14 minutes ago, Shanks said:

My laddies 3 now and I’m tempted to take him to a summer friendly, mrs isnt too chuffed but I’m itching to bring him :lol:  He even signs the Shankland song.

How do you sign the Shankland song

Morti1874

My grandson on the pitch on Saturday, halftime hero, Graigroyston boys on Saturday, he has been to few games, he got lots of photos with the players after a game earlier this season, players were all happy to get photos with him.

My Grandad took me to my first hearts game in the 70s we sat on the old benches just at edge of the shed was a draw with Partick thistle that old bugger has cost me a fortune over the years and plenty of heart ache🤣 but would not change a thing.

God rest his sole 😍 

Fell in love with HMFC that day and was one of the best days in life. Not long became a Grandad and as soon as my Grandson can he will be sat in tyncastle probably kicking back of a guys chair with a face full of haribos  asking when is half time 🤣but can not wait  these are special moments in time .

Jambo Till I Die 🥰.

I’m a granddad who still takes his (now adult) grandsons to Tynie - hence the username. 2 year old great grandson on the season ticket waiting list and I hope to live long enough to see him take his seat. Still get a kick out of remembering my eldest grandson’s words at the 2012 cup final - “Thanks Papa. This is the best day of my life.”

highlandjambo3

I take my grandkids 2-3 times a season….i don’t get down too often.  Had them both as mascots with the accumulated score on both occasions 11-1 to us 😁

4 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

How do you sign the Shankland song

With a baritone question mark.

:sadrobbo:

Mister Dee

Hearts supporting Grandad had passed long before my birth, but thanks to @Independence & his late Dad for showing me the light! ❤️
(My brother is a Hibby! 😂)

On 15/02/2024 at 01:01, jamborich said:

I am taking my 6 year old son to his first ever Hearts game tomorrow.

My Dad is also going to the game but sitting in a different stand but 3 of us going to get a picture together on the Plaza before the game.

My son will be the 5th generation Hearts supporter in my family.

Hope your grandson has a great day and we get the win.

Edited by Lambo85

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Lambo85 said:

I am taking my 6 year old son to his first ever Hearts game tomorrow.

My Dad is also going to the game but sitting in a different stand but 3 of us going to get a picture together on the Plaza before the game.

My son will be the 5th generation Hearts supporter in my family.

Hope your grandson has a great day and we get the win.

Nice one.  Special day. 

I still remember the thing that hit me the most at my first ever game; coming through the concourse and seeing just how close the pitch was, how tight the seats were to the players, the smell of the grass mixing with the smell from the Distillery.  It's a memory that will never ever go away, you never forget your first love.

a-general-view-of-tynecastle-stadium-hom

This is the wrong stand, but it is a similar view coming out of the Wheatfield (can't find an exact picture).  This is the moment I knew I was in for a life-long obsession that would never go away.

20 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I still remember the thing that hit me the most at my first ever game; coming through the concourse and seeing just how close the pitch was, how tight the seats were to the players, the smell of the grass mixing with the smell from the Distillery.  It's a memory that will never ever go away, you never forget your first love.

a-general-view-of-tynecastle-stadium-hom

This is the wrong stand, but it is a similar view coming out of the Wheatfield (can't find an exact picture).  This is the moment I knew I was in for a life-long obsession that would never go away.

Great post, especially like the bit about the smells, if someone blindfolded me and took me back to Gorgie? I would know where I was.👍

PaddysBar
2 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Great post, especially like the bit about the smells, if someone blindfolded me and took me back to Gorgie? I would know where I was.👍

Me too. I’m sure the boy in front of me is related to McKinlay. 

26 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Me too. I’m sure the boy in front of me is related to McKinlay. 

Tosh or Andrew?

PaddysBar
12 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Tosh or Andrew?

Big Andy. He’s dropping napalm bombs all game and talks a lot of pish. 

28 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Big Andy. He’s dropping napalm bombs all game and talks a lot of pish. 

:rofl:Nose and ear plugs needed.

Me, my dad and my 2 boys are all season ticket holders and I know my Dad loves the fact his two grandsons are now die hard jambos.

It's what it should be, generational, a family affinity to a club. 

Someone posted earlier about the smell of the brewery's and distillery and I have to agree, it's my first real memory when I think back to my childhood visits to Tynecastle. To think that without Hearts, Gorgie would simply be another area of Edinburgh, but now its a place that masses of people regard with affection due to emotional memories.

I'm sure your grandson will absolutely love it.

Mon the Hearts

waterboy11

My grandad took me to my first game nearly 30 years ago. We drew 2-2 with Killie - he never lets me forget he missed both goals as I needed the toilet  (I was 5 at the game)!. 

Been hooked ever since! 

tiger Rudi

I was taken to my first game by my late father. Unfortunately it was Hibs v Rangers at Easter fekn road! McLoy was in goals for Rangers and I left thinking it was strange there was no commentary during the game! 🤣 1.1 final score. Early 70's.

Always wondered why he took me to a Hibs game, think he used to live in Leith before moving to Oxgangs. Didn't really like football much. Maybe for good reason living doon there! 

My first game was at Starks Park. No idea how old I was, think it may have been a friendly. 2 red cards iirc, Davie Weir was one of them, for fighting. People were singing "Rousset, swing on the bar!" So he can't have been busy.

That's all I remember from it, don't recall the score or any goals 😂 just the fight and a song.

Hope the grandson enjoys it and this doesn't go the way of the hobos thread 😬

Edited by WDJ87

On 15/02/2024 at 04:50, Jamstomorrow said:

My first game was in the late 50's with my Grandad and against Dunfermline and we got pumped .... and yet here I am going through my match OCD routine  and cant wait for the banter in the Pub.

Bret the Hitman Hearts

At what point do you have to buy a separate ticket if you're taking a bairn to the match?