Scotland's biggest clubs poll. Apparently we are 4th.

colinmorewasgash

colinmorewasgash

Sheep get 3rd biggest Id even say wee team are bigger fanbase wise but according to nick mcpheat and 17k bbc readers and the love of aberdeens fergie days. Average attendances of only 15k all 3 of us too. Good journalism not. Now warnock says hes challenging sheep to challenge old firm and it was hibs last week what a deluded bunch the media darlings are. Think fact we are only club that doesn't give old firm their full allocations would tell them something.

kingantti1874

Laughable. 3 most successful in terms of trophies (1 more domestic but SC > LC) but bigger than us by no other measure! Not gates not finance not head to head not league placings since they were formed. 

I would imagine a lot of young people would be voting on that. Any non-jambo kid under 20 will mainly remember Aberdeen under McInnes finishing high consistently whilst we were rebuilding from admin and getting demoted. Ask again in five years and we’ll see a very different response 

vegas-voss

We don't half get worried about meaningless shit.

What the BBC got Rangers and Celtic joint first so they don't offend either of them 🤣

1971fozzy

According to that dinosaur Warnock Aberdeen will be 1st soon 🤣 

what a pile of shite from that keek. Even more than usual. As said even Hibs are bigger. Maybe.

Aberdeen are 9th or something in the league and have won 6 league games out of 23.

Edited by 1971fozzy

In the all time league table we're clearly 3rd, sheep 4th and vermin 5th

I would always measure club size by fan base - average attendance is usually a decent way to gauge size. 

Cups/form is temporary, look at Nottingham Forrest.

But thats okay, I don't mind when other clubs/fans/media talk us down. Gives us some motivation to succeed :) 

• No Idle Talk changed the title to Scotland's biggest clubs poll. Apparently we are 4th.
Special Agent Dale Cooper

Wouldn't pay much attention. Baseless, pointless poll.

No Idle Talk

St Johnstone also don't belong on there. I'd have Dunfermline down as a bigger club than them. 

Watt-Zeefuik

We've been in the second tier twice in the last 10 years. Aberdeen had a couple of second place finishes in that span. They also have a league title in the last 40 years. We have three cups in that period but so do St. Johnstone.

In terms of support and potential, we're absolutely bigger. We've had a tremendous mess to clean up post-Vlad. We know we're bigger. The only real way to convince others is to show it on the pitch. Thankfully, we're back on track to doing that.

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, No Idle Talk said:

St Johnstone also don't belong on there. I'd have Dunfermline down as a bigger club than them. 

Perhaps in support and history but St. Johnstone have three cups and European football in the recent past. They've earned a spot at the end of the table.

1=: Celtic

:Rangers

3: Heart of Midlothian 

4: Hibernian

5: Aberdeen

6=: Dundee

Dundee utd

8: Motherwell 

No idea below that.

queensferryjambo

These polls are absolute click bait garbage.

Only 17000 people voted. 

All it takes is one person to post on a football forum to say to vote and it can sway the whole poll when there are such low numbers voting.

No Idle Talk
4 hours ago, OTT said:

I would always measure club size by fan base - average attendance is usually a decent way to gauge size. 

Cups/form is temporary, look at Nottingham Forrest.

But thats okay, I don't mind when other clubs/fans/media talk us down. Gives us some motivation to succeed :) 

That's pretty much how I view it. 👍

Geoff Kilpatrick

Willing to bet that the sheep that voted on it voted themselves 1st.

Go for it 1308
28 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Willing to bet that the sheep that voted on it voted themselves 1st.

No shit sherlock 😉

Gorgie_Rules

For the supposed third biggest club in Scotland, their stadium has to be one of the worst. Can’t imagine how shit it would be going to watch my team in that soulless dump every second week.

The only reason Aberdeen could possibly be regarded as a bigger club than us (or Hibs) is the short period of time before most of their supporters were born. If winning what I believe is the equivalent of the Conference League about 40 years ago means they are a bigger club then that will alway be the case as that will never be done again by a non OF team. That also means through Notts Forrest are joint 3rd biggest team in England and bigger than Rangers or Celtic. 

I’m in my mid 30s and in my lifetime up until we got relegated Aberdeen were a no mark irrelevant club the equivalent of Kilmarnock or Motherwell. 

iantjambo

Personally, I think we get ourselves far too wined up about this 3rd/4th pish. Who cares what some internet poll says?

What is the actual marker for a bigger club though, what defines bigger?

Is it based on trophies/games won, or fanbase size?

No Idle Talk
36 minutes ago, Chimp said:

What is the actual marker for a bigger club though, what defines bigger?

Is it based on trophies/games won, or fanbase size?

I have always felt that fanbase is how it should be judged. 

10 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Only way to do it.

Off pitch: fanbase/turnover

On pitch: historical points per game 

Cups are great but essentially it’s 4 or 5 wins. 

Aberdeen should note, the 1980’s are not coming back. 

Edited by Shaggy2

Who cares, it's a poll, means **** all

They're more successful than us, we're more well supported than them

17 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Current league table tells who top 3 are

This.

Batistuta87

Load of pish. 

Aberdeen have more honours over their history, but a bit more success - mostly concentrated to one very short period of their history - doesn't make them bigger. The size of a club for me is about the size of their fanbase and about their finances - and on both of those fronts we have them absolutely hammered. Especially if our CEO's thoughts on our off-pitch earning potential turn out to be accurate.

Aussie Jambo

Aye saw that. Aberdeen 3rd. Think this was taken from a pole in the 1980s. Aberdeen are shite. There I said it.
🐑🕺

12 hours ago, martoon said:

1=: Celtic

:Rangers

3: Heart of Midlothian 

4: Hibernian

5: Aberdeen

6=: Dundee

Dundee utd

8: Motherwell 

No idea below that.

Killie

St Mirren

Falkirk

Dunfermline

Raith

Are all reasonably well supported. Certainly better supported than St Johnstone who are 10th in the poll

Bull's-eye

Not really giving a Tam Kite tbh, its all subjective pish in any case.

Quite content sitting in 3rd place looking down at all the massive clubs below us currently.

😃

13 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/celtic-rangers-over-17000-football-28626516

Nah. Not having it. Ever. Apart from winning the Cup Winners Cup(which I acknowledge was a remarkable achievement) Aberdeen are a bigger club than Heart of Midlothian in ZERO respects. 

To make it even more ridiculous - We only "Edged it" over FFFHibs for fourth !!!!! For many folk there is a distinct gap !!

Jim_Duncan
15 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/celtic-rangers-over-17000-football-28626516

Nah. Not having it. Ever. Apart from winning the Cup Winners Cup(which I acknowledge was a remarkable achievement) Aberdeen are a bigger club than Heart of Midlothian in ZERO respects. 

Not true. 

Their stadium is a MASSIVE shithole. 

Pans Jambo

A poll? :facepalm:

So just folks opinions then?

I'm sure Nottingham Forrest has won a couple of European trophies, and they're not even top 10 in England!

Facts are often revealing:

Turnover: 

1 - Hearts - £20.8M

2 - Aberdeen - £15.77M

3 - Hibs £12.4M

Average Attendances:

1 - Hearts - 18,513

2 - Hibs - 17,447

3 - Aberdeen - 15,421

Season Tickets:

1 - Hearts - 15,500

2 - Hibs - 12,100

3 - Aberdeen - 10,000

SPFL League Position:

3rd - Hearts - 3rd - 48 Points

7th - Hibs - 26 Points

9th - Aberdeen - 25 Points

I would say the argument is not if Hearts are the 3rd biggest club in Scotland, but who is the 4th biggest, Aberdeen or Hibs?

Edited by Pans Jambo

Bazzas right boot

Many folk have short memories and will vote on league performances in that 10 -15 years and Aberdeen are ahead on us that in that period.

We've suffered  demotion/relegation  x 2 , spent two seasons in the championship while they've been consistent in the league.

Generally most folk especially on the Internet would default to that as well as the obvious European trophy.

You could argue both a case for Hearts or Aberdeen,  no idea why folk get excited over it if we are seen as 3rd or 4th,  it's marginal either way and tbh both clubs are bald men fighting over a comb on this argument in the context of Scottish football.

What's important is that we are in a position at this time to really kick on.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
21 hours ago, RobNox said:

In the all time league table we're clearly 3rd, sheep 4th and vermin 5th

The table I seen it was  very close between Aberdeen and Hearts on all time points. 

Also we have more seasons under our belt, about 17 of them.

23 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Internet poll 🤣 

Means **** all

In a nutshell.

7 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Exactly. And on that criterion we are considerably ahead of Aberdeen and I don't think even most dons fans would deny that nowadays as the stats are clear. 

2 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Why do so many people spell Forest "Forrest" when discussing Nottingham Forest?

Even worse, why do so many refer to them as Notts Forest?

Francis Albert

To be fair we have nothing in our history that comes close to beating Real Madrid in a major European final. And the gulf between the top clubs and the rest means we never will. But as time passes ancient history will count for less.

On 13/02/2024 at 22:14, No Idle Talk said:

Dundee are bigger than St Johnstone.