Rule Change?

Pans Jambo

Francis Albert

The more complicated the rules the more scope for abuse (by players and officials).

Take the idea of only the captain querying a decision (leaving aside the question of why anyone should be entitled to). With a goalkeeper captain yet more scope for time wasting and interrupting the flow of the game if your  opponents are pressing too much. Query decisions in the other half of the field particularly.

Just read a biography of Alfredo di 

Stefano and it reminded me how much simpler the game was when I first watched Hearts.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ex member of the SaS

• Pans Jambo

• Bazzas right boot

• been here before

It does deal with the injustice that occurs in lots of games that the team that suffer from a cynical foul, the so-called "professional foul"  get nothing but a free kick and the opposition player gets a booking. Punishment within the timeframe of the match is fairer. Preumably if it occus in say the last 5-10 minutes of a match the player gets a blue and a yellow.

Some thoughts:

1. Some folks just don't like change.

2. Kicking out dissent from the professional game would filter down to the grassroots level (as mentioned), and that can only be a good thing. This could affect levels of respect within everyday life.

3. Is this initiative aimed at some "cultures" more than others? Is harassment of referees a bigger problem in specific parts of the world?

4. Will blue cards benefit "rich clubs" more? It could be argued that "poorer clubs" are more likely to resort to more unscrupulous tactics in an attempt to avoid defeat, as opposed to actively trying to win matches skillfully. 

5. There's the current rule of a red card for cynically bringing down an opponent if you are "the last man". However, if you're the "second last man" by a couple of inches, ONLY a yellow card seems unfair.

6. When the "No pass-back to the goalie" rule was at a similar stage, there were a lot of doubters. The blue card idea MIGHT work; cynical fouls MIGHT disappear, dissent MIGHT disappear, and that scenario MIGHT become the norm. If that were the norm, blue cards might only be used very rarely.

We'd only find out if trials were done.

As many have pointed out, if referees used the cards that they currently have at their disposal more effectively, there wouldn't the need for a blue card.

There are, however, instances where a ref almost apologetically shows a second yellow (because of a "petty" bookable offence). This is where a sin-bin MIGHT be a good idea. 

Whatever happened to KISS?

💋

Heart of Darkness
On 08/02/2024 at 15:56, Pans Jambo said:

Scenario. Hearts 1-0 up at Ibrox with 80 mins played. Shankland spits on the grass to clear the phlegm from the back of his throat.

BLUE CARD for the last 10 mins.

I do like the idea of a sin bin but I dont trust our 'impartial' refs to implement it equally.

That was my first thought when I read the BA tweet. 🤔

Fake Persona
On 08/02/2024 at 15:56, Pans Jambo said:

Scenario. Hearts 1-0 up at Ibrox with 80 mins played. Shankland spits on the grass to clear the phlegm from the back of his throat.

BLUE CARD for the last 10 mins.

I do like the idea of a sin bin but I dont trust our 'impartial' refs to implement it equally.

Very much this.

Just another way our wonderful west coast whistlers can control outcomes. No ta

Ex member of the SaS

The thing that gets me is if a opposition player gets sent off late in our game, it benefits our opponents more than it does us and our player could also miss games due to injury. Double whammy.

Jamhammer

Personally I’d imagine, like everything in Scotland it will be disproportionately used to benefit two teams. Whether that be to sinbin opposition who are giving them a game or to sin bin one of them who should be off.

I WOULD like to see our refs and Var miked up so they could explain decisions such as the Vargas farce last week

Edited by Jamhammer

Lovecraft

Refs can't currently decide what handball is FFS.

Stupid idea made up by people trying to make themselves relevant so they can still claim a salary/expenses.

The more decisions refs have to make the worse it will be.

Currently time wasting and professional fouls should be treated as a yellow card, instead a stupid sin bin idea just tell referees to enforce the current rules around cards, including when it would be a second red and a sending off!

I don’t like this rule. 

Admittedly, I hated the 5 subs being permanent and now I love the added strategy late in matches.

But this does seem absurd. 

12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The more complicated the rules the more scope for abuse (by players and officials).

Bingo.

ScottieMac17

Surly if referees were more consistent with the yellow cards for dissent then we wouldn't need this rule change. 

Plenty of times a referee gives a player a yellow card for dissent and that player becomes immune to another one no matter what they say or do. 

I do also think that If referee want to stop dissent, they need to improve on there performances and decisions making. 

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, indianajones said:

Would be a massive negative on the game. 

It won't be implemented. 

FIFA have come out against the idea.  IFAB seem to now be saying they always just wanted to trial it at a "lower level".

As posters have said, just get proper consistency in the use of the yellow card for stuff like time-wasting or kicking the ball away - if any player is daft enough to do stuff like that when he's  already on a yellow, he deserves the bollocking he'll get from his manager & captain for getting sent off.   

Having said that, consistency among refs in Scotland for the current rules  is an alien concept.🙄

Edited by Lone Striker