70 league points

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

We could hit 70 points this season. 

3rd is always the goal, but I've always thought 70.points would be a milestone and be a step in our fabled "next level".direction.

Will be difficult,  but we are going to be close to 70 points at this rate.

Fantastic stuff. 

# disclaimer- assuming the wheels don't fall off.

Likely to involve taking more points against the gruesome. I'd like to play Celtic now based on what I saw last night. Defensively they're a complete mess.

Looking at our pre split fixtures there's no reason why we shouldn't go into the split with 64/65 points. 

Considering we are on 48 points after 25 games and we've picked up 37 points from our last 15 league games, you'd imagine we'll be disappointed not to hit 22 points from 39 available. 

Consistency we've shown is incredibly rare in Scottish football outside of uglies. St Mirren and Kilmarnock have actually done well to keep the gap at the level it is, particularly when you see the gap between 5th and 6th. Hibs and Aberdeen have been an absolute embarrassment this season. Entirely possible that both finish bottom 6. 

48 points from 25 games gives us an average of 1.92 points per game, which would put us on track for 72.96 points at the end of the season.

The only thing is, the last 2 months have seriously skewed that average in a positive way.  I don't think we're going to win every game until the end of the season, so I think 70 points is just out of our reach at the minute.

That being said, we only need to win 7 more games and draw 1 to reach 70.  It could happen!

Edited by tian447

It would be a massive achievement and a credit to all involved. For me that sort of goal is very much the next level (rather than 2nd etc). 3rd place back to back, 70 points, unbeaten at home, x points in Europe etc. Those kind of consistency markers are where we show our progress imo.

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, tian447 said:

48 points from 25 games gives us an average of 1.92 points per game, which would put us on track for 72.96 points at the end of the season.

The only thing is, the last 2 months have seriously skewed that average in a positive way.  I don't think we're going to win every game until the end of the season, so I think 70 points is just out of our reach at the minute.

That being said, we only need to win 7 more games and draw 1 to reach 70.  It could happen!

I just literally calculated this as well, beat me to it :lol:

I think 65 is an achievable target. We'll inevitably take our foot off the gas once we clinch 3rd, our post-split record isn't the best.

60 points tends to guarantee 3rd place.

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It would be a massive achievement and a credit to all involved. For me that sort of goal is very much the next level (rather than 2nd etc). 3rd place back to back, 70 points, unbeaten at home, x points in Europe etc. Those kind of consistency markers are where we show our progress imo.

We should be aiming to incrementally improve our total year on year, which in turn should get us closing in on a challenge. History has shown it's not easy though.

12 minutes ago, Carter said:

Likely to involve taking more points against the gruesome. I'd like to play Celtic now based on what I saw last night. Defensively they're a complete mess.

Looking at our pre split fixtures there's no reason why we shouldn't go into the split with 64/65 points. 

Considering we are on 48 points after 25 games and we've picked up 37 points from our last 15 league games, you'd imagine we'll be disappointed not to hit 22 points from 39 available. 

Consistency we've shown is incredibly rare in Scottish football outside of uglies. St Mirren and Kilmarnock have actually done well to keep the gap at the level it is, particularly when you see the gap between 5th and 6th. Hibs and Aberdeen have been an absolute embarrassment this season. Entirely possible that both finish bottom 6. 

Who signed Scales for them ? We were rumoured to be in for him last summer or before I think . He is a real weakling and I am glad we never got him 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Would be an incredible achievement, but we play The Rangers/Celtic for 4 of the last 13 games. We've been better against them but for me, you still can't expect anything from those games. So we'd need 22 points from 9 games, which is along the lines W7 D1 L1. Very tough and probably we'll be looking more in the mid 60s range in my book, which is still excellent and far surpasses my expectation for this season.

34 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

3rd is always the goal, but I've always thought 70.points would be a milestone and be a step in our fabled "next level".direction.

Fantastic stuff. 

We're tracking at almost 2pts per game and 73 points total on trend.  We do still have the OF to play 4 times.  I posted similar last week and tempered it by saying our current form can't keep up.

But then someone countered by saying these stats do also include our pisspoor start, so perhaps the average is a genuine average.  That seems valid.

Same as you, I think a points target is what I like.  We can control that more than our position in the league or whatever.  It's a real yardstick year on year.  And 70 shoud be the aim to become our new norm.  I always think of 60 as a "good" season.  Under 55 is poor.  In between those is meh.  And 60+ is very good.  Be good even to move that metric (yeah its a metric, even if just one in my heid!!) up by 5 points, where 65 is good and more is very good.

lost in space

I'm usually a "glass half full" type (YES I am!!) but when it comes to us in the league, I look at it differently.

I look at Killie and think they probably, at best will get 24 points (7w 3 D 3L). We have a 12 point lead so we need 13 points - 4 wins and a draw.

61 points should do it.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Who signed Scales for them ? We were rumoured to be in for him last summer or before I think . He is a real weakling and I am glad we never got him 

Think it was Postecoglu that signed Scales. Celtic have been massively complacent. They've thought they can get away with investing as little as possible and banking piles of cash from their abject European participation. Huns aren't a great side but there's every chance they'll win the league. If that does transpire there are a number of people, Desmond and Lawwell in particular, who will get hammered for their part. If Huns do win the league Brenda will be off. Doesn't look a good fit at all. Celtic are a mess of a side. 

Sooperstar

Definitely do-able. 7 wins and a draw needed. We have 6 winnable games before the split as well as games against each of the OF, Celtic at home and Rangers away. Even if we get 15 points from those then 7 post split is very achievable. 

Victorian

70?  Not impossible.  Something like a 6-4-3 run in the 13 games.  There are plenty of realistic wins to be had.

19 minutes ago, Carter said:

Just had a peak at fixtures pre-split and even conservatively, you'd be hoping for 12-15 points from the 8 games.  We can very much go into the break on 60.  No one else is getting above mid 50s by season end imo.

Thing is our squad is getting better too.  Cam was back on bench last night, we have Nat and Kye back.  Barrie will be back at some point.  Oda and Vargas are now starting to produce more, as is Forrest who is bang o form. Tait has had impact, Newy is settling and showing worth game by game.  Fraser and Dex too now on board strengthen us.  Halks will only improve from here on in.  Beni looking more like Beni.

We've achieved what we have this season with one arm behind our back.  So far.

Just now, Victorian said:

70?  Not impossible.  Something like a 6-4-3 run in the 13 games.  There are plenty of realistic wins to be had.

Thinking about it, if we want to hit the highest points total we can, we should be hoping for Hibs to be top 6....

Victorian
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Thinking about it, if we want to hit the highest points total we can, we should be hoping for Hibs to be top 6....

True.  But I would rather Hibs shrivel up and rot.

gar jambo
54 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fantastic stuff. 

Better position than last season! A different Animal now !1/20 to finish 3rd

Nookie Bear
54 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fantastic stuff. 

Althogh we have no idea what the 'next level' is i think being closer to 2nd than 4th would be a major step forward.

(assuming wheels don't fall off etc)

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Just had a peak at fixtures pre-split and even conservatively, you'd be hoping for 12-15 points from the 8 games.  We can very much go into the break on 60.  No one else is getting above mid 50s by season end imo.

Thing is our squad is getting better too.  Cam was back on bench last night, we have Nat and Kye back.  Barrie will be back at some point.  Oda and Vargas are now starting to produce more, as is Forrest who is bang o form. Tait has had impact, Newy is settling and showing worth game by game.  Fraser and Dex too now on board strengthen us.  Halks will only improve from here on in.  Beni looking more like Beni.

We've achieved what we have this season with one arm behind our back.  So far.

Such a difference introducing a young player into a settled, confident, winning team rather than hoping they can stop the rot or help out disinterested senior players.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Althogh we have no idea what the 'next level' is i think being closer to 2nd than 4th would be a major step forward.

That is it unfortunately. 

22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We should be aiming to incrementally improve our total year on year, which in turn should get us closing in on a challenge. History has shown it's not easy though.

Yeh, it's a huge task, but I think we're well positioned to do it...if we can keep out of our own way 😂

2nd place, challenging etc will take care of itself if we land the bitesize chunks.

gar jambo
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I'm sure we got 70 points under Levein  could be wrong 

JudyJudyJudy
31 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I’m impressed with the away wins 

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

That is it unfortunately. 

It would still be an achievement for us.

And then build again next season and beyond.

gar jambo
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fantastic stuff. 

Defo think we can hit 60 at the split 

Super_Hans
11 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

I'm sure we got 70 points under Levein  could be wrong 

63 points in 2002/3 and 68 in 2003/4 where we closer to Rangers in 2nd than Dunfermline in 4th. Quite remarkable given the off field issues at the time.

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It would still be an achievement for us.

And then build again next season and beyond.

Oh 100%. It's a real statement if we're closer to the OF than the chasing pack.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

22 from 13, though 4 against the uglies, having seen both the last 2 nights, should be something from those 4 games. Even if it were only 4, it would leave us needing wins from the other 9 to get to 70, hurting Celtic and Rangers is surely the next level though?

LarrysRightFoot

Our last 13 games will include x 2 v Celtic plus x 2 Rangers and at least once v Hibs. 

We have had a good run of fixtures and I’m fully aware our great run includes victories v Celtic and Hibs. 

For me the pleasing thing is we have won the games that on paper we should be winning - which is incredibly rare. 

We are currently 6 points off our end of season total for last season - which is pretty incredible since we finished 4th and 2 points off third. 

In my head I’m aiming for 60 - some may think it’s low but it’s something to aim for and if it’s achieved anything above it is gravy in my eyes. 

Our games pre-split are:

Motherwell (H)

Rangers (A)

Hibs (H)

Celtic (H)

Ross County (A)

Kilmarnock (H)

St Mirren (A)

Livingston (H)

Post-split, we then know it will be games against Celtic and Rangers:

Celtic (A)

Rangers (H)

And 3 from the following: 

Kilmarnock (A)

St Mirren (H)

Dundee (H)

Hibs (A)

Motherwell (A)

Aberdeen (A)

The post-split (H) and (A) are pure guesswork, based on how many home and away matches we've played already this season.  An (A) is for 2 home matches pre-split, and an (H) is for 2 away matches pre-split).  We know it doesn't always work out like that, and we're just as likely to have 3 away games as we are to have 3 home games, with seemingly no logic to how it's worked out.

7 wins from that are definitely possible.  We should really be looking for at least 4 wins pre-split against Motherwell, Hibs, Ross County, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, and Livingston; if we win all of them, great.  4 Old Firm fixtures, you'd like to think we could do the business at least once, especially in the home matches.  If we want to start challenging at the top end of the table, we're going to have to figure out how to get past them, so why not start now.

Maybe 70 points isn't that unrealistic.

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, tian447 said:

The post-split (H) and (A) are pure guesswork, based on how many home and away matches we've played already this season.  An (A) is for 2 home matches pre-split, and an (H) is for 2 away matches pre-split).  We know it doesn't always work out like that, and we're just as likely to have 3 away games as we are to have 3 home games, with seemingly no logic to how it's worked out.

I think it will be based more on how it affects the old firm. If they are still neck and neck there is no way either will want to come to Tynie for the last game and so i reckon our first two post-split fixtures will be against those 2

chrisyboy7
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fantastic stuff. 

I said this at the beginning of the season but gotsot down...we won't be far off.  But o do this this man's winning games after the split..we tend to ease off.

AC Mallin_51

We hit 74 in 05/06 which is one of the greatest Hearts sides of modern times. To end up within 4 of that would be an outstanding achievement for a rookie manager with nowhere near the budget that side had 

N Lincs Jambo

The progress under Naisy has been truly amazing, especially given our relatively poor start to the season. At this point last season we were still in third but a huge 28 points behind Celtic and 19 behind Rangers. We're currently 13 behind Celtic and 10 behind Rangers although they have played one game less than at this time a year ago. We're six points better than a year ago, Rangers the same as they were and Celtic are 9 points worse off.

A year ago we were also only 7 points clear of Livi in 4th and 10 ahead of Aberdeen. This season we're a clear 12 points ahead of Killie who have one point more than Livi did last year. The team are playing with a confidence even when they're not playing well. That result against a very poor Celtic team in Glasgow was immense and contributed massively imho to the growth in confidence in the team.

Fwiw I think the title will go to Ibrox this year by a few points. I watched the final 10 minutes of Hibs v Celtic last night after our game finished and I couldn't believe how bad Celtic were. It seems like Brenda has undone Postegoglou's work and replaced it with a vastly inferior product. We won't catch Celtic this year but if we can keep the gap at 13 points or less that would be a massive achievement. If Celtic lose the league, which I think they will, Rodgers will be gone and we'll have a massive opportunity next season to do something special. 

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

We're tracking at almost 2pts per game and 73 points total on trend.  We do still have the OF to play 4 times.  I posted similar last week and tempered it by saying our current form can't keep up.

But then someone countered by saying these stats do also include our pisspoor start, so perhaps the average is a genuine average.  That seems valid.

Same as you, I think a points target is what I like.  We can control that more than our position in the league or whatever.  It's a real yardstick year on year.  And 70 shoud be the aim to become our new norm.  I always think of 60 as a "good" season.  Under 55 is poor.  In between those is meh.  And 60+ is very good.  Be good even to move that metric (yeah its a metric, even if just one in my heid!!) up by 5 points, where 65 is good and more is very good.

Finish out the season unbeaten v the rest and 70 or close to it is achievable.

hmfc_liam06
40 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

We hit 74 in 05/06 which is one of the greatest Hearts sides of modern times. To end up within 4 of that would be an outstanding achievement for a rookie manager with nowhere near the budget that side had 

Our wage bill now is higher than it was in 05/06.

Reports say £10m in 06 and £15m in 23. Although what is unclear is if the £15m is total wage bill including all staff not just players. 

Edited by hmfc_liam06

15 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Reports say £10m in 06 and £15m in 23. Although what is unclear is if the £15m is total wage bill including all staff not just players. 

Is that adjusted for inflation?

£10m in 2006 is about double that now

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

To be the cliche man.

One game at a time.

Probably best, playing all 13 together would be a big ask.

Bazzas right boot
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's total and inflation needs to be factored in.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, tian447 said:

Our games pre-split are:

Motherwell (H)

Rangers (A)

Hibs (H)

Celtic (H)

Ross County (A)

Kilmarnock (H)

St Mirren (A)

Livingston (H)

Post-split, we then know it will be games against Celtic and Rangers:

Celtic (A)

Rangers (H)

And 3 from the following: 

Kilmarnock (A)

St Mirren (H)

Dundee (H)

Hibs (A)

Motherwell (A)

Aberdeen (A)

7 wins from that are definitely possible.  We should really be looking for at least 4 wins pre-split against Motherwell, Hibs, Ross County, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, and Livingston; if we win all of them, great.  4 Old Firm fixtures, you'd like to think we could do the business at least once, especially in the home matches.  If we want to start challenging at the top end of the table, we're going to have to figure out how to get past them, so why not start now.

Maybe 70 points isn't that unrealistic.

At this rate we'll be close, but we could hit a sticky patch like at the start of the season. 

If we continue this form we would be close to the league as it would mean we've beaten the OF 4 times, but I don't think we will.

20 wins in a season is a decent milestone.

70 points really gets the juices going.

Mckay,  Devlin, Boycey to come back

Gordon, Halkett, Beni getting more match fitness.

Rowles,  Aki back from OZ.

Vargas improving

Whisper it... we should actually get better in the closing months.

Dhanda already signed up anaw.

Just need Beni and Shanks to sign an extension. 

main-qimg-8b44aca6230f40b4ccf5e2d2a181d3fe.gif

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Hagar the Horrible

The stats are in our favour,  I recon at worst we would need 64 points to finish third, based on everybody else's average, and recent form.  At best we only need 4 more wins, taking out the OF games for us to have too many points for to be caught.

But if we take our ave. points from the worst part of the season I.E. first 15 games we would amass 65 points, but taking out all OF games we would get at the very worst 60 points,  St Mirren at best will reach 54, the current on form team on their best average.

Our average of the season so far, we would reach 73 points,  But the scary one is our last 10 games average we would achieve 84 points.   But with 4 OF games to go an we lose them all our average would get us to 73 points.  The mean with the remaining games losing all OF games will get us to 69 points, we only need a draw in one OF game to get to that 70 mark, do-able

Can't realistically extrapolate points per game so far over the remainder of the season as...

1 - we have still to play the OF in the 3rd round of fixtures

2 - the final 5 fixtures will be against top 6 teams

I think mid 60's is more achievable and would be pretty good given our indifferent start to the season

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's all staff, and everybody's wage bill will be significantly higher in 2023 than it was in 2006.  Add to that we've brought things like catering, club shop and hospitality back in house, which will increase our wage bill but also increase our net revenues.  We've also brought the ladies team into the fold and expanded the Academy coaching staff, all helped by money from benefactors and FOH.

Daveandal
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fantastic stuff. 

I'm sure others will have said this but the main challenge for us, or any team clear in 3rd is the motivation when that is mathematically safe. Coupled with 2 post split games against Celtic and Rangers most likely in a tight title race.

70 would be a fantastic result. But one game at a time.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Daveandal said:

I'm sure others will have said this but the main challenge for us, or any team clear in 3rd is the motivation when that is mathematically safe. Coupled with 2 post split games against Celtic and Rangers most likely in a tight title race.

70 would be a fantastic result. But one game at a time.

Yip, and no one is suggesting we play more than one game at a time!