Signings that you had high hopes for

fast_blood

Muppetboy

I suppose to a lesser extent I had high hopes for meshino.  Quality was only fleetingly shown tho

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• cosanostra

• RustyRightPeg

• Jack Torrance

Top Posters In This Topic

Perry Kitchen was my favorite DC United player, so really more like my favorite player in the sport. When he got signed by Hearts, I was shocked. When he was named captain, I was thrilled. I was actually mad I never bought his Black & Red jersey which I could have worn to Tynecastle someday.

It went so bad, so fast from there.

merseyjambo

John Sutton

Dennis Wyness

Kevin James 

Ian Ferguson (the St Johnstone one)

Kevin Twaddle

jambos are go!
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

Derek Ferguson has to right up there as an old school one.  Robert Tomaschek perhaps.

Both were very good players. Ferguson right up there with Steve Fulton as a magnificent passer of a football.

jambos are go!
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maurice Johnstone.

Was advancing in years but it was only 2 years after he'd left rangers and he'd done OK with Everton. 

Can't agree with that. Hated and wasted by Tommy Maclean.

CostaJambo
13 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

John Sutton

Dennis Wyness

Kevin James 

Ian Ferguson (the St Johnstone one)

Kevin Twaddle

A good mate at the time of his signing worked with this guy's bursd and was trying (and failing) to get into her knickers. 

Clear few

Not read the thread but had to get them oot ma head Osh “god is god” aniwa and the horrible hologram 🙌

Watt-Zeefuik

Tony Watt

Loic Damour

Perry Kitchen

Orestis Kiomortzoglou

Juanma Delgado

Kitchen perhaps doesn't belong in there because he wasn't bad, particularly under Neilson, just was a terrible fit for whatever the hell Cathro was trying to do. Kio also wasn't terrible and we got a chunk our investment back, just posted missing at a time we desperately needed someone at his position.

Juanma was the most screamingly frustrating to me though. Offside offside offside offside offside offside offside

Lone Striker
6 hours ago, leginten said:

I had a feeling - based on nothing at all - that Lee Johnson would be a good player for us. To be fair, he wasn’t given much of a chance.

Aye, but he'd have been brilliant if he'd have had his app at the time. 😃

KevinKyle10

Remember thinking Wyness was going to be the best signing Levein made… also thought Hartley was a shocking signing in the same summer (may be mistaken.) 

Happy I was wrong about one of them to be fair.

Jack Torrance
2 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

Can't agree with that. Hated and wasted by Tommy Maclean.

5 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maurice Johnstone.

Was advancing in years but it was only 2 years after he'd left rangers and he'd done OK with Everton. 

Think you're right about him being wasted. Only thing I remember is him scoring at Partick to put us through after a rubbish first half.

And his song.

Guess it meant we were able to knock Hibs out the cup again, so not all bad. 😆

AC Mallin_51

Personally thought McKay Steven was a fantastic piece of buisness at the time. Wasn’t bothered in the slightest when he left 

12 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Pettigrew 100%

Naismith as a player

Naismith? Is that the best you could come up with bearing in mind the dross we have signed? Scored 24 goals in a career cut short with injury.

Philstampscleaner
7 hours ago, Jack Torrance said:

He's more of an ideas man.

Sure you can purchase some of his ideas on LinkedIn 😂

1 hour ago, KevinKyle10 said:

Remember thinking Wyness was going to be the best signing Levein made… also thought Hartley was a shocking signing in the same summer (may be mistaken.) 

Happy I was wrong about one of them to be fair.

I’ll see your Denis Wyness and raise you a Conner Sammon! 🥴

4 minutes ago, Renoir said:

Kevin Twaddle 

I never had high hopes for Kevin

Jack Torrance
31 minutes ago, Philstampscleaner said:

Sure you can purchase some of his ideas on LinkedIn 😂

Heard his Zoom sessions are great.

davie1980

I tipped Loic Damour to be player of the year 3 years running

In fairness I was being sarcastic/flat out trolling the second and third time I did it.

The White Cockade

thought Willie Pettigrew would be a great signing and he got a few goals but his best days were well behind him unfortunately 

Alfie Conn as well was only about 28 when he joined us and was a hugely talented player but only proved that for whatever reason his career was over

I also assumed that Petric would b a good signing 🙈

waterboy11
7 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

John Sutton for me. 

A player I wanted to see in a Hearts Jersey for years. 

He had scored a bucket load of goals for Millwall and Motherwell the season previously. 

I was delighted when it was announced we had signed him. 

How it turned out to be a major disappointment. Especially that sitter against St.Mirren in the cup final. 

I thought of him as well. His biggest issue was we played a style that didn't suit him. He wanted balls in the box to attack, that's how he got his goals. We lumped it up to him to hold up or chase.

Can't remember the game - but he was having a nightmare, couldn't hold the ball up, was chasing balls over the top he had no chance of getting. Subbed off for Gary Glen, the team then started playing the ball out wide and getting crosses into the box

frankblack
9 hours ago, Victorian said:

Gordan Petric.

:vrface:

I have a different opinion.  He was the weak link at Rangers, and a player I felt we could beat.  Didn't want him near the club and can't believe we signed him.

frankblack

Some of the names mentioned I always thought were punts.  You hope they will come good but there is an equal chance of the opposite.  I certainly don't get overexcited about players I've never seen or heard of.

Captain Holt

Unfair to him when compared to other names (The Hologram…) on here but I was convinced we struck gold with Uche in the 1-0 win over Celtic at tynecastle. Never seen Tierney so flustered. Shame Lafferty left without a real replacement as to rely on Uche as a main goalscorer rather than a support striker was never maintainable.

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, fast_blood said:

He was getting hyped up by the press as a great prospect when we signed him, albeit the press in his home country. Had hoped he lived up to the hype.

Yeah I think they’re likely to do that, a football backwater in reality. 

4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Naismith? Is that the best you could come up with bearing in mind the dross we have signed? Scored 24 goals in a career cut short with injury.

I don't think that's unfair, in order to have high hopes that means you have to rate the player in the first place. Many of the players listed here were sh*te in the first place. Pettigrew and Naismith came to us as players who had played for their country. Pettigrew tried hard but his best years were behind him even though we signed him at 28, Naismith started well but ultimately didn't do much for us. The fact it was due to injury is neither here nor there.

Edited by Jodami

cosanostra
1 hour ago, cjay99 said:

David Obua

His debut (I think) was against Airdrie in a midweek cup game defeat and it was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Hearts player. He'd been talking in the press about his great left foot and dead ball ability and then he showed up and was beyond useless.

He definitely improved but he was absolutely dire that night. 

Craig Nelson for me. I was delighted when he signed for us, and he was absolutely shocking.

Dennis Wyness similar. He was paraded at Tynie alongside SPH, who at the time was known as a middling winger who once played for Hibs. Reckon 99% of us thought Wyness was the better signing by far. Boy, were we all dead wrong.

Anyone saying Derek Ferguson baffles me. He was the heart of our midfield for several years. He wasn’t spectacular, but he was the sort of player whose contribution you only really notice when they aren’t there any more.

Late to the thread.

I know Tony Watt was only a loan signing but I really thought he would turn it on for us. Disappointing.

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

thought Willie Pettigrew would be a great signing and he got a few goals but his best days were well behind him unfortunately 

Alfie Conn as well was only about 28 when he joined us and was a hugely talented player but only proved that for whatever reason his career was over

I also assumed that Petric would b a good signing 🙈

Did a triple take on this before realizing you meant Alfie Conn Jr. not Sr.

cosanostra

I'm stunned that anyone thought Conor Sammon and Gordan Petric would be good signings.

The reaction on here to both was bordering on outrage. 🤣

Especially Sammon. The only reaction to a potential signing that I can remember being worse on here was when we were going to sign Zander Diamond. 

gregzy2k7

I think the most dissapointing one for me was Loic Damour,

He was hyped up a fair bit on here before he signed, Decent reputation, had played in the EPL and Championship and was an experienced midfielder who was supposedly on a good wage with us on a 4 year deal,

Well the reality was very different, he looked nothing more than an average to shite player any time that I watched him.

Must have cost us a fair bit in wages,

the definition of a "wage thief" imo.