Signings that you had high hopes for

fast_blood

Auld Reekin'
25 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

…looked like Arkadiuz Klimek with a hangover…

:D  Not a good look.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• cosanostra

• RustyRightPeg

• Jack Torrance

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

There was some bloke who scored for us against Barca.

Makela?

RustyRightPeg
31 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Oshaniwa, was quite excited about him but then quickly realised he was brutal 😄

His debut was weirdly encouraging. He was flying up and down the wing leathering crosses in. Most went straight out the other side or into the stand mind you, but I thought he's a real athlete and once he finds his range with these crosses, we're onto something. I was wrong. So wrong. He never found his range. Ever. Probably still hasn't. 

Victorian

The return of Neil McCann.

Got clattered in his 1st game at Rugby Park.  Out for months.  Never recovered and was a shadow of himself.

Bindy Badgy

Pinilla and it's not even close. He should have run riot in the SPL.

hmfc_liam06
20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Tzolis 

That's who sprung to mind instantly for me too.

He should have absolutely strolled this league, and he looked like he would during that Rangers game. Then....

6 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Named #16 at the time. Look at some of those names. 

:wow:

Screen-Shot-2017-11-01-at-133116.png

Look at the names he is above🤣

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Pinilla and it's not even close. He should have run riot in the SPL.

Probably would've if it wasn't for 'injuries'. He tore Aberdeen to shreds at Pittrodrie.

Jambo1956

McKay-Steven’s. In 70 years supporting Hearts he was the biggest disappointment. I thought we had made a great signing at the time.

Bindy Badgy

A more obscure one is Audrius Kšanavičius. He was man of the match when we beat Rangers 4-2 and looked like a real find. After his initial impact other teams sussed him out very, very quickly.

tartofmidlothian
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The return of Neil McCann.

Got clattered in his 1st game at Rugby Park.  Out for months.  Never recovered and was a shadow of himself.

Good one.

Victorian
1 minute ago, Bindy Badgy said:

A more obscure one is Audrius Kšanavičius. He was man of the match when we beat Rangers 4-2 and looked like a real find. After his initial impact other teams sussed him out very, very quickly.

Thought about him.  Good wee player.  I actually thought Kestutis Ivaskevicius was a decent sort anaw.

Bindy Badgy
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Thought about him.  Good wee player.  I actually thought Kestutis Ivaskevicius was a decent sort anaw.

Good on his day but, inconsistent. I think he scored against Rangers in the 4-2 match and against Celtic when we beat them at Parkhead in the same season.

The whole Cathro January transfer window lot (Isma aside who did alright for himself here). So much promise especially when we absolutely blew Rangers & Motherwell away in successive games, mere weeks later it became clear the majority were nothing but a bunch of mercenaries who weren't up for the fight & coached by a clown who was so far out his depth. Think only Hughes & Isma made it past Summer out of about 9 players and Hughes was barely playing because he was sadly past it (good pro though & highly respected by his coaches & teammates).

Victorian

You could make out a case for each of Edgaras Jankauskas,  Roman Bednar and Michal Pospisil.  All tremendous players but never hit their full potentials due to the unconventional state of the club,  shall we say.

Valois No1

Robert Tomashek for me. Yes he did ok and was pretty tidy but expected a bit more. Ashame that he was coming onto a game when he was injured at Parkhead if I recall. 

We swapped Donald Park for Denis McQuade and John Craig.  McQuade was what we expected with some brilliance (goals at Easter Road & Pittodrie) amongst some tripping over the ball, but he was a make-weight in the deal.

John Craig's brother Tommy was a star in England, so I had a lot of expectations over John. All completely destroyed after watching his debut in the EoS Shield against Second Division Meadowbank. He couldn't run, pass, trap the ball and was outsprinted by a guy with an obvious beer belly after having a 5 yard start. His displays did not improve much after that........

2 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Mehdi Taouil left me underwhelmed 

Was it v Liverpool in the Europa when he was outstanding? I thought I was watching the wrong player :lol: 

Victorian
4 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Good on his day but, inconsistent. I think he scored against Rangers in the 4-2 match and against Celtic when we beat them at Parkhead in the same season.

Yes.  3-1.  

Bull's-eye

None really. 

We're not generally in the market of buying players that hit the ground running, just about every single decent player we've ever had has been a slow burn or a youth player coming through. Only the Burley/Mr Romanov signings were that class above what we normally see through the door and that cost millions to put together. 

Happy to give players a good run of games before making any sort of judgement tbh.

3 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Mehdi Taouil left me underwhelmed 

Scottish Cup winner who made a fool out of Jordan Henderson at Anfield. Taouil  was MoM in that game, so not a complete disaster 😁

Ones that haven't been mentioned so far

Craig Nelson- looked different class playing for Partick but was absolutely woeful for us, funnily enough when you look back is a double for Scott Brown with curtains.

Callum Tapping- signed from Spurs and was highly regarded in the Scottish youth setup, him and Holy in midfield were small but seemed to have a good understanding...career just fizzled out though 

Struna signed at the same time as Tzolis (the big imposter) and I thought he was going to be quality, couldn't be bothered either.

Darren Barr- controversial I know as he is a cup winning legend buuuutttt...when he played for Falkirk I thought he was outstanding, an absolute collosus at the back and I was absolutely certain we had signed the new Pressley and he was going to be the lynchpin of our defence for years. Struggled a bit, found a place in midfield...but what could have been....

51 minutes ago, Swimmer said:

Misrad Beslija... The Bosnian bullet!

You beat me to it........seemingly the fastest player in (roll out whatever country you can think of - Belgium was the most oft quoted) yet the bloke was outpaced by many a full back he was up against over here. Vlad was posturing re his signing as he didnt really want him - just wanted to act billy big baws but got caught out by having sent a fax confirming purchase which was used in court to force VR to follow through (after reneging) with the procurement. Cost him big bucks and he was furious getting caught out. 

cosanostra
32 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Vincent Guerin

He was good. 

Just Light years past his best.

fast_blood
59 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was tiny and slow, what did you see in him or think he would play?

He was getting hyped up by the press as a great prospect when we signed him, albeit the press in his home country. Had hoped he lived up to the hype.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg

The one that springs to mind as soon as I seen this thread:

Mirsad Beslija.

However, we’ve had our fair share over the years. 

jamboinglasgow

Sean Clare.

He did evetunally do well with us (probably one of the few good players in 19/20 season when he moved to right back) but was expecting big things when he signed. It felt like we had done what Celtic had with Dembele, got a really talented young player who was out of contract and being in Scotland meant we paid a much cheaper compensation fee.

But came at the wrong time as by the time he played our amazing run at the start of 18/19 season ran out of steam and we were poor from then till the next season.

RedStarRiot

I remember being quite excited for Stephane Paille however he didn’t do much in a Hearts shirt. 

1 hour ago, leginten said:

I had a feeling - based on nothing at all - that Lee Johnson would be a good player for us. To be fair, he wasn’t given much of a chance.

Played in a 4-1 thrashing of the vermin so always a legend.

Mr Sifter

Tomas Brolin. Must’ve signed him aboot four times over the years, never seen him get on the park once ffs. 

copa-mundial

John Sutton for me. 

A player I wanted to see in a Hearts Jersey for years. 

He had scored a bucket load of goals for Millwall and Motherwell the season previously. 

I was delighted when it was announced we had signed him. 

How it turned out to be a major disappointment. Especially that sitter against St.Mirren in the cup final. 

7 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

I remember being quite excited for Stephane Paille however he didn’t do much in a Hearts shirt. 

I loved Stephane Paille.

In his younger days he was part of a dynamic duo with Eric Cantona - and Paille was the better player.  In saw them a couple of times in France.

I had massive hopes for him when he came to Hearts.  Sadly his career had finished by then and his legs had gone, but he still looked cool.

Super_Hans
59 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Vincent Guerin

Well past his best when he joined us but he hadn't played for a while due to a drugs ban. Also joined a struggling Hearts side.

Some signing though when you look at his career. Numerous trophies with PSG including the Cup Winners Cup. Played for France in the Euro 96 semi-final and scored in the shootout which they lost.

Super_Hans
12 minutes ago, Sydney said:

I loved Stephane Paille.

In his younger days he was part of a dynamic duo with Eric Cantona - and Paille was the better player.  In saw them a couple of times in France.

I had massive hopes for him when he came to Hearts.  Sadly his career had finished by then and his legs had gone, but he still looked cool.

French Player of the Year in the late 80's.

Des Lynam
11 minutes ago, Sydney said:

I loved Stephane Paille.

That and he was banging Class A's at the weekend. Allegedly of course. 

Derek Ferguson.

I really thought he'd be a superb addition to the team that did so well in 1989/90. The final piece of the jigsaw sort of thing.

A fine player on his day but he had nowhere near the impact I'd hoped for.

CostaJambo
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That's who sprung to mind instantly for me too.

He should have absolutely strolled this league, and he looked like he would during that Rangers game. Then....

Yeah, both he and more recently Lowry had magnificent debuts before quickly descending into anonymity.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

His debut was weirdly encouraging. He was flying up and down the wing leathering crosses in. Most went straight out the other side or into the stand mind you, but I thought he's a real athlete and once he finds his range with these crosses, we're onto something. I was wrong. So wrong. He never found his range. Ever. Probably still hasn't. 

His first game  at Tynecastle was honking.

Looked like he'd won a prize to play for us.

Gillsland jack
7 minutes ago, martoon said:

Derek Ferguson.

I really thought he'd be a superb addition to the team that did so well in 1989/90. The final piece of the jigsaw sort of thing.

A fine player on his day but he had nowhere near the impact I'd hoped for.

I liked Derek Ferguson, never gave the ball away, depends what criteria you are judging players on, this was a good squad of players at the time.