*** Official St Johnstone v Hearts Match Thread ***

mickycameron98

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

If Clark was keeping clean sheets it his place in the team it would be hard to argue against him staying in the tea, but we're actually conceding a fair number of goals at present and whilst none are glaring errors, some of those are preventable if Gordon was playing.

We should be playing our strongest team at all times and I'd be amazed if Gordon wasn't starting to get a bit pissed off that a player clearly not as good as him is continuing to be selected ahead of him.

Absolutely, yet some folk want Rowles and Atkinson to come right back in but not Gordon, cant have it both ways. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• HeartsandonlyHearts

An early goal will be crucial to not making this a turgid, dire, midweek fixture.  The longer we let them sit in and gain confidence, the greater the chance of it being a brutal 0-0 (or a 1-0 away defeat, our record in the last 10 years at McDiarmid is stinking.  They're no mugs, and Levein has got them tightened up from their near-certain relegation form at the start of the season.

A quick, high pressure start and getting the first goal nice and early would force them to open up.  That plays into our hands.

If we score within the opening 15 minutes, I can see us scoring 2 or 3.

davemclaren

Their form has been pretty good since Levine arrived. I still expect we will win though. 

kingantti1874

Will be a tough game. Certainly not to be underestimated.  Taking the lead is key against a levein team

LarrysRightFoot

Levein (and Kirk) will be desperate to beat us. Got a feeling their big forward is going to be a handful. Carey is also one of those players that always seems to play well against us. 

Clark

Dex

Kent

Halkett 

Cochrane

Hoff

Beni

Fraser 

Forrest 

Vargas 

Shanks 

0-2 Hearts 

3 hours ago, tian447 said:

An early goal will be crucial to not making this a turgid, dire, midweek fixture.  The longer we let them sit in and gain confidence, the greater the chance of it being a brutal 0-0 (or a 1-0 away defeat, our record in in the last 10 years at McDiarmid is stinking). They're no mugs, and Levein has got them tightened up from their near-certain relegation form at the start of the season.

A quick, high pressure start and getting the first goal nice and early would force them to open up.  That plays into our hands.

If we score within the opening 15 minutes, I can see us scoring 2 or 3.

We have won the last 2 in a row there mind 😎

I'd keep Sibbick on just to mark Kimpioka.   Although he could move away from Sibbick out wide to exploit Kents side.   Not essential to go pace for pace.  We could sit deeper, win easy headers.   

I'll go for a shock clean sheet in the first half.  0-1 FT or a draw 😉 

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, David McCaig said:

The big issue here is that Clark seems to be the man in possession until he makes a howler, which to his credit he isn't doing.  The problem is that even at the top of his game Clark isn't remotely in the same class as Gordon, so therefore despite not making mistakes Clark is still conceding goals Gordon possibly wouldn't.

If you think about the shots that have beaten Clark recently from McGhee (Tynecastle), Miovski and Cameron, in my opinion whilst all 3 have beaten Clark fair and square and he's done nothing wrong, they are all in the Gordon potential wondersave territory that lesser keepers just can't make.

The best example of this is Gordon's tour-de-force at Livingston last season, the save CG makes from Holt is one that Clark isn't getting within a yard of.

Yes, and to me there's more to keeper play than not having a howler. Clark has been good, no question, but I think he could have organized the defence a bit better at times, had better positioning, or come for balls a little more aggressively.

If I'm Naisy I call Clark into the office, put my arm around him, tell him he's still very much our keeper of the future, that he'll still get some starts here and there, but that Gordon is going to be starting the next one.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I'd keep Sibbick on just to mark Kimpioka.   Although he could move away from Sibbick out wide to exploit Kents side.   Not essential to go pace for pace.  We could sit deeper, win easy headers.   

Sibbick in the outside of a back 3, next to Kent, could be a very good asset this game.

Pasquale for King

We rarely make things easy, if we could start with the team/formation/energy that we finish with we could give someone a real doing. Turgid 2:1 victory coming up.

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolutely, yet some folk want Rowles and Atkinson to come right back in but not Gordon, cant have it both ways. 

I wouldn’t have Atkinson anywhere near this team till Dexter gets a: injured or b: recalled 

2 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Sibbick in the outside of a back 3, next to Kent, could be a very good asset this game.

Yeah that's his best position in my own view.  Would have to be Kingsley if he's fit on the left side.  I doubt Rowles will jump straight back in so soon.   Of course I never really get the team choice right.  I made it to ten players correct, once at least. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

Yeah that's his best position in my own view.  Would have to be Kingsley if he's fit on the left side.  I doubt Rowles will jump straight back in so soon.   Of course I never really get the team choice right.  I made it to ten players correct, once at least. 

Opinions, eh? To me Rowles goes straight back into the side as soon as he's ready. Harsh on Kingsley perhaps but I don't think it's coincidental that we've been leaking goals since he's been away.

But what do I know?

tiger Rudi

Clark

Atkinson

Kent 

Rowles

Kingsley

Hoff

Beni

Vargas

Fraser

Forrest

Shankland

Dexter has done well but Atty at this point is a better defender, admittedly based on only my first impressions of Dexter. 

Harsh on Cochrane but bringing in Rowles and Kingsley "should" tighten up a defence that has looked a bit suspect lately. Really want to see a clean sheet and us tightening things up again. 

Would like to see how Fraser does from the start. 

Vargas in front of Oda for me, every time. 

Forrest and Shankland to be our main men again. 

Voice of reason
1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

I wouldn’t have Atkinson anywhere near this team till Dexter gets a: injured or b: recalled 

Couldn’t disagree more. Dexter was awful against Dundee and couldn’t be bothered tracking back (see 2nd goal) - just looked liked a typical lazy loanee who couldn’t be arsed doing the dirty work. Natty would’ve bust a gut to get back. Natty also just played a blinder in his last match. I’d have Natty in immediately. He’s one of our signed players and not a loanee, and most importantly, he’s just as good a player. 

colinmorewasgash
1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Levein (and Kirk) will be desperate to beat us. Got a feeling their big forward is going to be a handful. Carey is also one of those players that always seems to play well against us. 

Sure will be tough and anyone of sellick leanings raises game v us god knows why we ain't sevco.

colinmorewasgash
1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

Sibbick is option but was awful saturday. Total bombscare when hes shot of confidence.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Sure will be tough and anyone of sellick leanings raises game v us god knows why we ain't sevco.

Too many of our fans like to think we are very much alike them unfortunately. 

spirt of 98
16 hours ago, Herbert. said:

He's not great at the back. 

Play him as a right midfielder? 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Couldn’t disagree more. Dexter was awful against Dundee and couldn’t be bothered tracking back (see 2nd goal) - just looked liked a typical lazy loanee who couldn’t be arsed doing the dirty work. Natty would’ve bust a gut to get back. Natty also just played a blinder in his last match. I’d have Natty in immediately. He’s one of our signed players and not a loanee, and most importantly, he’s just as good a player. 

Only really seen the highlights but yeah he looked like he had a poor game. 

karipidis
1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

Did you not watch the game on Saturday? Sibbick was all over the place at the 2nd goal and also let Robinson in near the end. He didn’t seem to want to engage the attacker at all on Saturday. 

tiger Rudi
16 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

That's where I'm at. Dexter was brought in for cover at RWB. By all accounts he had a torrid time defensively at his previous club. No doubt he has quality going forward but if he's valued way outside our price range, why would we drop one of our signed players to give him game time? Atty is first pick. 

I feel Fraser is slightly different as I think he will be somebody we could bring in on a permanent deal in the summer. At his age, his value will not be anything like Dexter's. 

gnasher75

Gordon

Kent Halkett Kingsley

Lembikisa Beni Fraser Cochrane

Vargas Shankland Forrest

Give Rowles and Atkinson time to recover. Tough to take getting knocked out.

Otherwise play the best players available. 

1 hour ago, gnasher75 said:

Gordon

Kent Halkett Kingsley

Lembikisa Beni Fraser Cochrane

Vargas Shankland Forrest

Give Rowles and Atkinson time to recover. Tough to take getting knocked out.

Otherwise play the best players available. 

Decent line up , agree on resting the OZ pair after the travel back. 

Im in the bring back Gordon camp as well, he is the best keeper at the club , and should be back in the goals !

As for some of the other suggestions about playing  Sibbick, I would not have him near the team , I hope he goes in the summer . ( just my opinion before anyone gets upset !)

2 hours ago, karipidis said:

Did you not watch the game on Saturday? Sibbick was all over the place at the 2nd goal and also let Robinson in near the end. He didn’t seem to want to engage the attacker at all on Saturday. 

Yep, Sibbick and Kent sat deep off Beni leaving him isolated.   If they push up it closes the space down.   Easy to say that now because they scored.   Sibbick didnt in my own opinion do enough defensively for the second goal.   

He did have some good moments going forward though. 

2 hours ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Sibbick is option but was awful saturday. Total bombscare when hes shot of confidence.

What about Cochranes poor attempt at heading the ball for the first goal.  Hopefully Kingsley is back to replace him. 

If we win this it’s 15 wins so far. The OF currently sit on 18 each and we have 14. Next best is St Mirren on 9. Those are impressive numbers. 

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

That's where I'm at. Dexter was brought in for cover at RWB. By all accounts he had a torrid time defensively at his previous club. No doubt he has quality going forward but if he's valued way outside our price range, why would we drop one of our signed players to give him game time? Atty is first pick. 

I feel Fraser is slightly different as I think he will be somebody we could bring in on a permanent deal in the summer. At his age, his value will not be anything like Dexter's. 

Yeah, and as I said above, I think he'd be perfect for the Arbroath game, or also perhaps Livingston. Anywhere you're going up against 10 men packed into the box, his size, endeavor, and skill on the wing will be useful.

But St. Johnstone have some decent strikers and we need our old robust defence back. If they can go, I want Rowles and Atkinson straight back in the team.

6 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Did you see Atkinson in the 2-2 game v RC? Possibly the worst performance of a Hearts player at Tynie in recent years. Dexter is faster, much more skilful, more of a threat and is physically stronger . Positioning can be coached. I thought he did well considering he was up against Beck and Mccowan! Atkinson just isn’t cutting it for me. My opinion certainly 👍🏻

Edited by ShedBoy

8 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Sibbick is pish, as seen with his woeful defending at that boy Cameron's goal.

GorgieFifeLife
2 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Did you see Atkinson in the 2-2 game v RC? Possibly the worst performance of a Hearts player at Tynie in recent years. Dexter is faster, much more skilful, more of a threat and is physically stronger . Positioning can be coached. I thought he did well considering he was up against Beck and Mccowan! Atkinson just isn’t cutting it for me. My opinion certainly 👍🏻

Totally agree.  Dexter has some improving to do defensively but he dealt fairly well with Beck.  I don’t rate Atkinson at all so it’s a fairly easy decision for me to keep Dexter in.  He may not be here next season but if so then we will be working on bringing in a first choice right back.

PapaShango
2 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Sibbick is pish, as seen with his woeful defending at that boy Cameron's goal.

He was also caught under the ball at 2-2 when they had a free header. Awful defending and he’s not good enough. Halkett or Kingsley to come back in tomorrow I don’t want Sibbick near the side he’s a liability.

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

You can't just bin Aki, he was playing well and he's our player and we will rely on him again.

Dexter is better at rwb or even on the rw in place.of Oda. He's more of an attacking threat than him imo.

I reckon Aki will play v Airdrie tho.

Aki will get game time this season. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Hopefully no Sibbick.

With Dexter and cochrane we are quite weak in the air and Sibbick just adds ri that weakness. 

Hopefully Halkett/ Rowles/ Kingsley play- all stronger and better in the air. 

Sibbick,  nice guy but is a liability at ch. He's actually quite poor.

Takeshi kovac
11 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Really? Thought he was poor defensively against Dundee, consistently left Sibbick exposed.

Can anyone point me in the direction on how to purchase tickets? Cant see away ticket sales.

FerryJambo81
5 minutes ago, Negan said:

Can anyone point me in the direction on how to purchase tickets? Cant see away ticket sales.

St J selling direct

ToadKiller Dog

We should have the fire power to get past what will be a stuffy Levein side .

Go for a 2-0 us with the 2nd goal late on.

Jack Torrance
20 minutes ago, Negan said:

TOP MAN CHEERS!

Welcome. I reckon the farmers are hiding the link, to limit the number of Hearts supporters travelling up. Its a conspiracy! 😆

Lord Beni of Gorgie

St Johnstone Aberdeen a couple of weeks back was a painful watch, judging by the Sportscene highlights, Saints are struggling still even if they beat Ross County, they were lucky to do so. Motherwell also seemed to be unlucky not to win by several against them, this is likely our easiest game since the break, we will win, and comfortably so, because we are a better team, full of confidence, playing far superior football.

The Treasurer

Not sure why people think Rowles and Atkinson need rested or time to recover. 

They last played on Friday and I would expect that they were back in training on Monday. 

Not for me to say if they come straight back in or not, but they should both be available and ready to play 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Probably makes sense, been away for 5 weeks, in which time, we have won every game :)

In seasons gone by - especially before we got our first win at McDairmid in years last season - this would have been one of those games where you're hoping for a point or mabye get lucky.

This is a Hearts side who has gone to Celtic Park and looked comfortable. Came back from 2-1 down at Dens and won, went to Rugby Park and won. Went to Fir Park and won. 

We should and I think are, as a club, going in to this one with a real expectation that we take 3 points. 

We all know Leveins teams, and we know what St Johnstone are like typically. If we play our game, and attack with the pace we can and cut the silly mistakes out at the back they have no chance. 

gordiegords

Please no sibbick for this one that new striker for saints will run him ragged.