Citizen Army

OBE

Britain should train a "citizen army" ready to fight a war on land in the future, the head of the Army has said.

General Sir Patrick Sanders warned that an increase in reserve forces alone "would not be enough".

He highlighted the threat from Russia and pointed to steps being taken by other European nations to put their populations on a "war footing".

He also called for more to be done to equip and modernise the UK's armed forces.

Screenshot (46).png

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• The Real Maroonblood

• Dawnrazor

• highlandjambo3

Victorian

Amalgamate the thousands of existing 'young teams' throughout the UK into one super regiment of enlisted radges.  

Lord Montpelier

My arthritic knee rules me out of action. Will happily join dad's army and patrol the coasts of Fife and East Lothian as long as they give me a rifle with a sharp blade on the end

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Amalgamate the thousands of existing 'young teams' throughout the UK into one super regiment of enlisted radges.  

Not forgetting 'the lads' who bravely stood firm at the cenoptaph (and of course haymarket)

They could raise a pals battalion under Brigadier Yaxley Lennon and we could finally test the proclamation of 'England til I die'*

* other nationalities of arsehole are available. 

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This in ♠️'s

They love a squib, be in their element with a laser guided capability...:biggrin:

Edited by OBE

Nookie Bear

**** that.

Let the politicians and generals go over the top first and then i might consider following them.

loveofthegame

It is a frightening thought but our country does seem to be in a comfort zone whereby we (I very much include myself in that we) are massively underprepared for what might come in the next 5/10 years.

I don't know the answer, but the world is a scary place and peace feels like it is on a complete knife-edge at the moment. So spending more on defence and at least training up more citizens doesn't feel like the worst idea in the world.

My little boy is only 4 - nothing scares me more than the thought that this could become his generations problem. If I had to, I would put myself in the line of fire before him every single day of the week (despite being an absolutely s**tebag!).

Victorian

I can see the uniform now.  Grey cotton joggers / grey cotton hoody romper suit.  Matching grey cotton beret with a smouldering joint as a regimental hackle.  

I give you The Royal Regiment of Radges.  'The Wee Bams'.  

Motto - Who Are Ye.

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m in 

IMG_4007.gif

Don't know if they still do the finger up the bum for the medical, James...

😁

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Don't know if they still do the finger up the bum for the medical, James...

😁

Awe just a finger ? That’s a Bummer 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It Ain't Half Hot Mum never to be screened again as BBC deem it too racist  for modern society | Daily Mail Online

lol I always wanted a job / organisation we’re you  wear a uniform . I tried to get into the BBs but they wouldn’t allow me as my hair was too Long ! ( I think ) oh I was 8 at the time I should add 😂

227 years since anyone tried to invade the UK, yes give better equipment and resources to our armed forces but any war will be fought in the skies and on the water, not on UK soil.

JudyJudyJudy

However on a serious note they can bolt with any form of conscription for anyone . 

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

First on the list can be anyone whas an Ukraine flag on their social media profile.

Yaass

6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

227 years since anyone tried to invade the UK, yes give better equipment and resources to our armed forces but any war will be fought in the skies and on the water, not on UK soil.

Much of it will be fought in cyberspace.

The head of the army said that? Shits getting real. Better tell my grandad to get his auld sniper rifle dusted down. Jokes aside I dunno know how they would manage to convince enough people to take part in any war. 

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, KG1874 said:

The head of the army said that? Shits getting real. Better tell my grandad to get his auld sniper rifle dusted down. Jokes aside I dunno know how they would manage to convince enough people to take part in any war. 

People don’t have appetite for war. Rich, politically motivated people do. 

Mikey1874
51 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

It is a frightening thought but our country does seem to be in a comfort zone whereby we (I very much include myself in that we) are massively underprepared for what might come in the next 5/10 years.

I don't know the answer, but the world is a scary place and peace feels like it is on a complete knife-edge at the moment. So spending more on defence and at least training up more citizens doesn't feel like the worst idea in the world.

My little boy is only 4 - nothing scares me more than the thought that this could become his generations problem. If I had to, I would put myself in the line of fire before him every single day of the week (despite being an absolutely s**tebag!).

The big developments are drones and disruption to GPS, IT systems. That's a different sort of army needed. 

Mikey1874
51 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

The big developments are drones and disruption to GPS, IT systems. That's a different sort of army needed. 

AlimOzturk

I would only volunteer for something like this if there was a guarantee my kids wouldn’t have to join something like this in the future. 

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

I would only volunteer for something like this if there was a guarantee my kids wouldn’t have to join something like this in the future. 

Same here. My sons going to war is a terrifying prospect.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Not forgetting 'the lads' who bravely stood firm at the cenoptaph (and of course haymarket)

They could raise a pals battalion under Brigadier Yaxley Lennon and we could finally test the proclamation of 'England til I die'*

Can just imagine that , would look more like a rave than a battle. Thousands and thousands just bobbing back and forward with their guns. Mon then, shoot me, gooo ooon

The way the world is going and this news does put the fear in me, with having two boys who will be 16 and 17 this year. It doesn’t seem to be slowing down though, seems to escalate every day now.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Could we all chip in for a JKB bunker? 

:whistling:

Now you’re talking🤣.

Not going to be the best place to be for peace talks though

Jim_Duncan
6 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Could we all chip in for a JKB bunker? 

:whistling:

Only if I get to lock the door from the outside and walk away. 

AlimOzturk
28 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Same here. My sons going to war is a terrifying prospect.

Doesn’t bear thinking about. 

Each generation is meant to be better off than the last. 

Guys done it in WW1 and WW2 so you would all have to do it aswell. 

There will never be a WW3 this is as close as it will get. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Well said. Far too many folk living in the past, understandable considering the UK government trying to take us back to the Victorian era. 

I like the idea of voluntary national service. 6 months or a year.

Think in Germany you could also do it in the health system. 

4 minutes ago, Pap said:

I like the idea of voluntary national service. 6 months or a year.

Think in Germany you could also do it in the health system. 

I do too, but the cost must be astronomical.

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I do too, but the cost must be astronomical.

Would guys on national service get full pay? 

24 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Guys done it in WW1 and WW2 so you would all have to do it aswell. 

There will never be a WW3 this is as close as it will get. 

True it would be go to war or jail but I can see most people choosing jail these days. I’d guess most would’ve chose to fight back in world war 1 and 2. 

AlimOzturk
7 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

I haven’t got a massive issue with voluntary national service but this would be the big sticking point for me. How long would an employer be expected to keep a job/pay employees a salary for?

I would do it if it meant I would still have my full salary and job to come back to. 

the posh bit
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I imagine Tommeh and his young battalion of proud Brits will be queuing to enlist. 😁

Japan Jambo
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

lol I always wanted a job / organisation we’re you  wear a uniform . I tried to get into the BBs but they wouldn’t allow me as my hair was too Long ! ( I think ) oh I was 8 at the time I should add 😂

McDonalds have the very spot for you.

they may be thinking ahead to the very near future. Everybody should understand that if Trump were to win the US election he would most definitely remove the US from NATO, and that would be disastrous for Britain, Europe, and the world. The US is NATO, if they weren't involved Ukraine would have fallen long ago for just one thing.

If they weren't in NATO Putin would have a free hand in Europe and he would grasp it. It's no exaggeration to say that the entire international order would collapse if Trump were elected then handed out do what you like cards to every dictator who said nice things about him. They all know that's all you need to do to get anything you want from the simpleton.

I don't think Trump will win a US election but if he did the world order as we know it will quickly end. Such sudden shifts in the balance of power never end well. There's a  reason Putin wants the US out of NATO, and it's not because he's dumb like Trump.

highlandjambo3

When I was serving, the maximum contract length was 22 years.  You could sign up for 3, 6 or 9 and once you had completed your first stint you could keep going up to 22 years however if you did 9 years then left you were eligible to be recalled back to complete the other 13 years up until the age of 55 when you are no longer required to be recalled.

Now I’m not exactly sure of the current enlistment process but, I’d imagine we already have a fair amount of “citizens” who are able to be *recalled back to the forces and retrained fairly quickly.  Every year (in my unit) we lost about 90-100 people through retirement/end of contract.

* I cannot be recalled back as I completed more that 22 years 😏

highlandjambo3
35 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Army pay up until you reach the rank of corporal is guff.

Mikey1874
10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

they may be thinking ahead to the very near future. Everybody should understand that if Trump were to win the US election he would most definitely remove the US from NATO, and that would be disastrous for Britain, Europe, and the world. The US is NATO, if they weren't involved Ukraine would have fallen long ago for just one thing.

If they weren't in NATO Putin would have a free hand in Europe and he would grasp it. It's no exaggeration to say that the entire international order would collapse if Trump were elected then handed out do what you like cards to every dictator who said nice things about him. They all know that's all you need to do to get anything you want from the simpleton.

I don't think Trump will win a US election but if he did the world order as we know it will quickly end. Such sudden shifts in the balance of power never end well. There's a  reason Putin wants the US out of NATO, and it's not because he's dumb like Trump.

Better for Army commanders to put together an assassination squad for Trump than mess about with untrained home guard.

4 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

When I was serving, the maximum contract length was 22 years.  You could sign up for 3, 6 or 9 and once you had completed your first stint you could keep going up to 22 years however if you did 9 years then left you were eligible to be recalled back to complete the other 13 years up until the age of 55 when you are no longer required to be recalled.

Now I’m not exactly sure of the current enlistment process but, I’d imagine we already have a fair amount of “citizens” who are able to be *recalled back to the forces and retrained fairly quickly.  Every year (in my unit) we lost about 90-100 people through retirement/end of contract.

* I cannot be recalled back as I completed more that 22 years 😏

There must also be many thousands who haven't been in the regular army but have had TA training, I have personally known some. One guy I knew got dragged into the 2003 invasion of Iraq, he was in the TA and decidedly unhappy about this, had never expected anything like this to happen.

But there you have it, he voluntarily joined up and now he was in the desert. they didn't fight, they were support troops.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Better for Army commanders to put together an assassination squad for Trump than mess about with untrained home guard.

Sort of knocks on the head all the deep state conspiracy jazz about the Kennedy assassination doesn't it. Not only did he never suggest every one of these agencies were corrupt, as Trump has, he never cuddled up with foreign enemies of the nation, as Trump does. Never tried to execute a coup, as Trump has, and so on.

Everybody wants Trump dead, well everybody but Putin and varied other despots. Yet still he's walking around shiting in his diaper as he expels even more shit from the facial anus.