Scots Language - Gaelic - Scots - Dialects

Sooks

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, superjack said:

After living in Lewis for 26 years now, I can understand quite a lot of gaelic. My Mrs didn't have any English until she started in school. Her and the in laws were always trying to get me to speak it, but my East Coast accent made that nigh on impossible. In my head, I'm saying the words perfectly, in reality though, I'm supplying comedy for gaelic speakers.

Yes my Granny used to take my Mum to Ceilidhs and even the Mod or the Whisky Olympics as it is often known as, not that they partook in any of that I better say 😄 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Ulysses

• Unknown user

• henrysmithsgloves

On 15/01/2024 at 17:34, Ulysses said:

Messages is used in some places on this side of Ireland to describe groceries, but I'm not sure where we got it.  Message, singular, is also used to describe an errand.  Where standard English would say "run an errand", Irish people (Dublin people in particular) would say "doing a message" or possibly "going on a message".  It is said that this comes from the idea that the original errands that people would be sent on would involved delivering messages to other people.  So "message" and "errand" were regarded as having overlapping meanings.

I am from Polbeth and often went for the “ messages” for my mother👍

Messages comes from the fact people usedto and some still do(me) write a list for the person going for the messages. 

Edited by ri Alban

Dawnrazor
20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Messages comes from the fact people usedto and some still do(me) write a list for the person going for the messages. 

Didn't know that.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Didn't know that.

👍 Im here all week. (If i don't feck things up :D )

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

👍 Im here all week. (If i don't feck things up :D )

😂 You'll have permanent tan with all the holidays you get given!

On 17/01/2024 at 15:17, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Lots of connections between Dutch/Flemish and Scots. Kirk, Water (pronounced v/watter), ken jij pronounced ken ye for do you know etc

The Shetland dialect is a hybrid of many northern European languages including Scots but virtually no Gaelic with English appearing now and again.

A mildly interesting story comes from my (Shetland) aunt who was living in South Africa. When an Afrikaans speaker asked her to 'maak die deur toe' she knew exactly what was required as the Shetland equivalent would be 'maak tø d'door'. Shetland doesn't use the Scandinavian characters in spelling but it's handy to do so for pronunciations, IMO. 

Unknown user
On 16/01/2024 at 00:34, Ulysses said:

Messages is used in some places on this side of Ireland to describe groceries, but I'm not sure where we got it.  Message, singular, is also used to describe an errand.  Where standard English would say "run an errand", Irish people (Dublin people in particular) would say "doing a message" or possibly "going on a message".  It is said that this comes from the idea that the original errands that people would be sent on would involved delivering messages to other people.  So "message" and "errand" were regarded as having overlapping meanings.

This is reflected in Dutch too - a boodschap is a message and boodschappen (plural) is your shopping.