US and UK bombing Yemen

JFK-1

The United States and Britain launched military strikes against targets in Houthi-controlled Yemen. MSNBC’s Ari Melber reports and is joined by foreign policy expert David Rothkopf and NBC’s Gabe Gutierrez. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• il Duce McTarkin

• The Mighty Thor

• Mikey1874

• Boab

It's  the Houtis (spelling?) what done it, they've been interfering with our joint genocide in Palestine and we've just decided enough is enough so we're now doing what we normally do and will continue to do, bomb the shit out of the innocent who are those who don't believe or disagree with our  'type' of democracy boom boom...

27 minutes ago, Jam-Tart said:

bomb the shit out of the innocent who are those who don't believe or disagree with our  'type' of democracy boom boom...

What's our type of democracy? the type where we don't accept attacks on our shipping? Which democracy does?

Posted this on the Israel thread but assuming there is a retaliation from Iran in the Strait of Hormuz which results in increases in oil and energy prices and inflation, and continued high interest rates, will folk still be bullish about this response?

Of course, the US are net energy exporters so will be fine. Suspect the UK less so.

A cease fire in Gaza from what I've read would be more likely to stop the attacks but obviously this hasn't been pushed by the US and UK.

There is also the risk of a wider escalation of conflict with Iran (pushed by hawks like John Bolton) which would surely be a disaster.

Iran and the Houthis aren't the good guys but no call to Congress and Parliament before carrying out military action which could lead to a wider Middle Eastern war, seems well, risky and potentially unlawful?

That thing you do
5 hours ago, Pap said:

Firing missiles/drones at cargo/military ships in international waters. What do they expect?

The ordinary people of Yemen been shooting ships?

Because its mostly thenm we are killing

Russia demanding an urgent meeting with the UN to discuss the strikes. There was a vote on Wednesday between UN members to end the Houthis attacks on cargo ships, which Russia, and China abstained. No prizes for guessing their reaction to the strikes.

31 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Didn't take long for our Tut Tuts to pop up 
:nono::nono:

The tut-tuts want to go back to living in mud huts.   Let’s stop protecting that damn shipping with goods that helps us live our lives….

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

The tut-tuts want to go back to living in mud huts.   Let’s stop protecting that damn shipping with goods that helps us live our lives….

Or just stop the genocide unfolding in Gaza. 

Nucky Thompson

The Houthi freedom fighters defending the women and children of Gaza :rofl:

It’s all about the money, folks !

Every war is.

Maersk had already made the decision to go around Africa with their shipping. Costs more of course, which will be passed on to us, obviously.

Can’t have that though eh ! People might actually start to question wtf is going on !

Better to escalate the conflict. Do you think Hamas will be devastated by this development ? 🙄

Plan is going along swimmingly.

I don't know how escalating the situation tenfold helps shipping in the red sea tbh. Will it deter the Houthis, Iran and Hezbollah? We shall see. 

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't know how escalating the situation tenfold helps shipping in the red sea tbh. Will it deter the Houthis, Iran and Hezbollah? We shall see. 

Maybe less squibs getting fired from the purple bit...pretty ****** up in that country also!

Screenshot (45).png

11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The Houthis aren’t attacking shipping solely out of an empathy with Palestinians. That’s a bit naive. Not a dig at you btw.

It’s a bigger thing really. To de-stabilise Western economies, which, in turn, creates division within those economies. I’d be flabbergasted if the Houthis are doing this off their own backs. Of course they’re not. 

hmfcbilly
5 hours ago, Costanza said:

Posted this on the Israel thread but assuming there is a retaliation from Iran in the Strait of Hormuz which results in increases in oil and energy prices and inflation, and continued high interest rates, will folk still be bullish about this response?

Of course, the US are net energy exporters so will be fine. Suspect the UK less so.

A cease fire in Gaza from what I've read would be more likely to stop the attacks but obviously this hasn't been pushed by the US and UK.

There is also the risk of a wider escalation of conflict with Iran (pushed by hawks like John Bolton) which would surely be a disaster.

Iran and the Houthis aren't the good guys but no call to Congress and Parliament before carrying out military action which could lead to a wider Middle Eastern war, seems well, risky and potentially unlawful?

This in spades. More 'justification' for screwing every individual with higher energy costs. Business's dont want to take a hit on their profits do just pass every increase onto us, the consumer. No area is safe either as we've found out from basic needs like weekly shops, to insurances and even haircuts. No wonder more and more folk are spiralling into debt and depression 

4 minutes ago, OBE said:

Maybe less squibs getting fired from the purple bit...pretty ****** up in that country also!

Screenshot (45).png

Maybe aye, maybe naw.  

Just now, Boab said:

The Houthis aren’t attacking shipping solely out of an empathy with Palestinians. That’s a bit naive. Not a dig at you btw.

It’s a bigger thing really. To de-stabilise Western economies, which, in turn, creates division within those economies. I’d be flabbergasted if the Houthis are doing this off their own backs. Of course they’re not. 

It's organised and fully planned by Iran of course. 

25 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Maybe aye, maybe naw.  

It's organised and fully planned by Iran of course. 

Yip.

Sunak in Kyiv is no coincidence either. A wee message to Putin and Iran there. 

5 hours ago, Costanza said:

Risky, perhaps, but lawful under current US & UK conventions, as I understand.

Japan Jambo

The governments of Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, the UK and US just put out a joint statement.

I find it interesting how we always seem to find ourselves in the hot seat when it comes to these international conflicts, yet he French always seem to steer a neutral course. I'm also intrigued as to how Egypt isn't involved in this either; their canal and the revenues associated with it are effectively being blockaded yet it's the yanks and the perfidious Albion yet again doing the heavy lifting.

Howdy Doody Jambo
20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That will be the cost of fridge magnets and dishcloths going up now, this may effect the tartan tat shops 

21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Saudi Arabia's stance is the most hilarious.  

What have they done?

Let me guess, have they bought the sponsorship rights to the bombing runs and disembowelled some random journo?  Am I nearly right? :ninja:

23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Saudi Arabia's stance is the most hilarious.  

Mmm…maybe not hysterical. Despicable more like.

Benny Klack

What do UK PM’s do when they are polling dreadfully and look likely to get punted at the next GE ….

Yup, they get involved in a ‘war’

Anyway, the Houthis have been causing trouble for ages, and what did Kermit Starmer do to fix it?   Nothing, that's what.

Labour Party Shitebags.  Time for change.  Vote Cap'n Rishi. 🇬🇧

Victorian
7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

What have they done?

Let me guess, have they bought the sponsorship rights to the bombing runs and disembowelled some random journo?  Am I nearly right? :ninja:

Sounds like a mundane day at the office in Riyadh.

AlphonseCapone
55 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

The governments of Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, the UK and US just put out a joint statement.

I find it interesting how we always seem to find ourselves in the hot seat when it comes to these international conflicts, yet he French always seem to steer a neutral course. I'm also intrigued as to how Egypt isn't involved in this either; their canal and the revenues associated with it are effectively being blockaded yet it's the yanks and the perfidious Albion yet again doing the heavy lifting.

I don't think the French are sailing (😉) a neutral course, they've got ships in there, but they're always quite careful to not be seen as doing the Americans bidding. I assume it's all political posturing. But the French are as, or possibly more active, around the globe than the UK is.

Victorian
9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Anyway, the Houthis have been causing trouble for ages, and what did Kermit Starmer do to fix it?   Nothing, that's what.

Labour Party Shitebags.  Time for change.  Vote Cap'n Rishi. 🇬🇧

Correct.  Rishi and his cabinet have "come in" and are getting on with the job of delivering the peoples' priorities.  Stop the drones.

Attacking civilian shipping is nothing new in the middle east.

Attacking it with missiles is new and a serious escalation.

Civilian shipping in international waters has every right to be protected by the international community.

Having said that, the fact that it's the UK and USA who are doing the protecting is a bit of a problem given their history in the region and their open support of the Israeli massacres in Gaza.

But having said THAT, at least this time the UK and USA have a UN Resolution behind them, backing their actions.

Unlike the last few times when they went off-grid and just acted because they felt like it.

As usual when it comes to the Middle East, it's a mess and any action (or inaction) will just make things worse.

There are no solutions in that part of the world.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Boab said:

Yip.

Straight out the Johnson playbook.

Domestic or International shitshow on the horizon?

You need a day trip to Kiev!

Get the X-small camo gear on and look tough on TV

Risible.

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, Boab said:

:spoton:

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Straight out the Johnson playbook.

Domestic or International shitshow on the horizon?

You need a day trip to Kiev!

Get the X-small camo gear on and look tough on TV

Risible.

C'mon, Thor, the pantomime is contrived, obviously, but what are the strategic alternatives? Dinnae say 'stop backing the expantionist Jews', because that's just a sideshow. 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

C'mon, Thor, the pantomime is contrived, obviously, but what are the strategic alternatives? Dinnae say 'stop backing the expantionist Jews', because that's just a sideshow. 

It's an election year my good man and nothing screams man of action like bombing the shit out of some random brown people. 

Supporting the expansionist Jews is a given though. 

Mind you it'll probably stimulate sales of planes and munitions to the Saudis too so the Tory backers will get a wee windfall before the Junta is launched out on it's ear. 

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's an election year my good man and nothing screams man of action like bombing the shit out of some random brown people. 

That's some weapons-grade, tunnel-visioned cynicism right there. :D

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

That's some weapons-grade, tunnel-visioned cynicism right there. :D

It's my super power - miserable cynical old **** 😎

Wee Rashid can feel the hot breath of Richard Tice and Nigel Farage on the back of his neck as they prepare to ram a Reform Party shaped dildo right up his Jimmy Carter!

He'll do anything to keep the empty shell of the Tory party alive including turning a blind eye to genocide and cosplaying a statesman to bomb the shite out of a couple of dozen bedouins in a desert. 

millerjames398

One of my best mates works as a sparky for the US navy in Djibouti on lemmerier camp,,bit worryin as one of the 1st and closest targets for Yemen to hit is the camp he's on,,mad ****er chasing the crazy money 😂

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Attacking civilian shipping is nothing new in the middle east.

Attacking it with missiles is new and a serious escalation.

Civilian shipping in international waters has every right to be protected by the international community.

Having said that, the fact that it's the UK and USA who are doing the protecting is a bit of a problem given their history in the region and their open support of the Israeli massacres in Gaza.

But having said THAT, at least this time the UK and USA have a UN Resolution behind them, backing their actions.

Unlike the last few times when they went off-grid and just acted because they felt like it.

As usual when it comes to the Middle East, it's a mess and any action (or inaction) will just make things worse.

There are no solutions in that part of the world.

That's fair, but to be honest, there are a lot of countries that are quite happy to sit in the background and let the UK and USA take the lead on these things, avoid the diplomatic complications and benefit from the safety said action might bring. The UK and USA can absolutely be criticised for a lot of things they've done, but a lot of other countries are also fairly sleekit at best or cowardly at worst with these things. NATO defence spending is a classic example of countries wanting the benefits without the responsibility.

Japan Jambo
8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's fair, but to be honest, there are a lot of countries that are quite happy to sit in the background and let the UK and USA take the lead on these things, avoid the diplomatic complications and benefit from the safety said action might bring. The UK and USA can absolutely be criticised for a lot of things they've done, but a lot of other countries are also fairly sleekit at best or cowardly at worst with these things. NATO defence spending is a classic example of countries wanting the benefits without the responsibility.

Yup the old free-rider problem looms large yet again. If Trump gets in he may well eviscerate NATO as a result of it. 

19 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Correct.

Which is why the UN resolution backing the strikes passed.

Tacit support without doing the act yourself.

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

That will be the cost of fridge magnets and dishcloths going up now, this may effect the tartan tat shops 

Every customer of Home Bargains and B&M will be cracking it now.  Not much in these outlets not made in China.  

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's my super power - miserable cynical old **** 😎

Old? I had you pegged as a fresh faced youngster like me.

doctor jambo
41 minutes ago, Cade said:

Correct.

Which is why the UN resolution backing the strikes passed.

Tacit support without doing the act yourself.

The un should pay for it.

They should openly put funds into it- you know , collective responsibility.

Every nation benefits from the US and UK doing this.

Trump was right- everyone should fund it.