League expansion

Jackhmfc1348

LarrysRightFoot
3 minutes ago, Philfigo said:

Yeah he seem like a guy who just calls it as it is, but I bet his CEO would have a different view.

He seems to run the club 

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LarrysRightFoot

• OTT

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

kingantti1874

Unpopular but the real solution is to let the big clubs in Scotland compete in a bigger league.  And by the big clubs in mean hearts and Aberdeen as well as the old firm.

we will NEVER reach our potential, it boils my piss watching teams like Luton, Brighton  and Bournemouth spend millions and millions. We are bigger than all

of these clubs.  Easily. 

i would love hearts to get the opportunity build in a British league. 

These smaller teams would get bigger crowds from the likes of hearts hibs and Aberdeen if the league was more competitive anyway.

We usually have a great away support as it stands never mind if we stood a chance of winning a league title. We would sell out Livingston's entire ground for starters.

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Unpopular but the real solution is to let the big clubs in Scotland compete in a bigger league.  And by the big clubs in mean hearts and Aberdeen as well as the old firm.

we will NEVER reach our potential, it boils my piss watching teams like Luton, Brighton  and Bournemouth spend millions and millions. We are bigger than all

of these clubs.  Easily. 

i would love hearts to get the opportunity build in a British league. 

That would be cool to see us compete in England. I've done that in fifa before. Brought hearts all the way up from the bottom league and eventually won the English premiership. 😆 

kingantti1874
Just now, Hansel said:

That would be cool to see us compete in England. I've done that in fifa before. Brought hearts all the way up from the bottom league and eventually won the English premiership. 😆 

It would be brilliant. We’d have a real purpose and a clear path.

Muppetboy
9 hours ago, GlasgoJambo said:

Can’t say for sure but think you may be the first person to have suggested this.

Nae need lol

RustyRightPeg

Always said, if things are to change, German football is the model to follow. From top to bottom, ownership, ticket pricing, league structure etc, the whole lot.

1971fozzy

No Thanks. 
It would be months of meaningless fixtures and believe me boredom will soon set in and there would be plenty empty seats in a lot of stadiums. 
Right now every game means something to every team , usually for the whole season.

kingantti1874
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Always said, if things are to change, German football is the model to follow. From top to bottom, ownership, ticket pricing, league structure etc, the whole lot.

We can’t copy a nation of 85million people mate nice as it is, we don’t have the people or the finance.

I don’t think hearts model would work for any other club either .

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We can’t copy a nation of 85million people mate nice as it is, we don’t have the people or the finance.

I don’t think hearts model would work for any other club either .

Didn’t say copy it, just said follow their lead in our own unique way. Realise it wouldn’t be possible 100% but we’d be daft not to use stuff they do for the greater good of our game. 

Hmfc1965
8 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

No Thanks. 
It would be months of meaningless fixtures and believe me boredom will soon set in and there would be plenty empty seats in a lot of stadiums. 
Right now every game means something to every team , usually for the whole season.

Exactly. The one thing the current set up has going for it is that most games are meaningful more or less to the end of the season.

Hearts1975
5 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

You Sir have nailed it 👌 would absolutely love to see this happen.

But unfortunately the idiots who run us will never adopt such a sensible league structure set up.

But no it will always be about pandering to sky and 4 x OF games a season with a bullshit TV deal that no one really gives a toss about anyway. 

This crap set up that we have helps the OF the most and it allows them to maintain their iron grip on scottish football forever.

3rd Para, and unfortunately end of the discussion as far as it will go.

So frustrating as a new set up and 2 games, home and away, would be perfect 

Even if the clubs put forward motions it just takes 1 out of 12 clubs to block it.

With there being 2 clubs who hold the top seats at the captain's table, it ain't gonna change anytime soon 

🙁

David McCaig
53 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I doubt many ( any? ) of the top clubs would go to an 18 club league playing each other twice. Gives two less games and makes it less attractive to TV.  Money talks and it would be a tad quieter with this arrangement.  

I could see a league of 26 with some sort of balanced split ( as proposed by someone at Hearts previoudly ) bring more a go-er.

2 fewer home games

4 fewer category A games

A greatly reduced TV pot being split 18 ways instead of 12.

An 18 team league would be financial suicide.

jamboozy

In the old league set up we had a lot of mid table , meaningless games, BUT we only played for 2 points a win. Just saying.

Phil D. Corners

Personally I don’t believe the lower championship teams are strong enough to play in the top level. 

I could predict regular double digit thrashing by the old firm. 

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Didn’t say copy it, just said follow their lead in our own unique way. Realise it wouldn’t be possible 100% but we’d be daft not to use stuff they do for the greater good of our game. 

Their model is the best in football mate, but their ownership model, their ability to distribute finance, their tv revenues  are entirely dependent on people volume mate. 

I do agree with you btw, we should take learning where we can but I just don’t think much of that model would work here. 

but tbh, nothing works here. Hence why we should be looking to abandon Scottish football and join a proper league system 😁 nothing would please me more than seeing the GFA die.

Edited by kingantti1874

26 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It would be brilliant. We’d have a real purpose and a clear path.

Agreed. The EFL wouldn't be interested though. Nothing in it for them.

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I have previously suggested the apparently precious (I’m not sure it’s really the case) 4 OF games a season could be retained in some way.

Say a preseason ‘curtain raiser’ at Hampden for the Old Firm cup then in the winter break the 2 ‘world super powers’ could bugger off to Australia or Canada and play each other and ‘advertise’ Scottish football. 

Heaven forbid another club or clubs actually develop and won the league they could eventually take one of both the OFs places in these games. 

As for the meaningless games thing I just don’t buy it - it infers there’s not meaningless games at the end of the season at present- which there is. 

However, the main point is player development and more expensive football as there may be less fear - as highlighted by David Martindale recently and numerous others including fans for years. 

Having attended every game just about in 60's and 70's the only thing that we hax as excitement were relegation battles.  There were other seasons when we were midtable, and nothing really at stake and it did lower an already pretty low standard.  St Mirren v Anybody else midtable couldn't even get a pulse going. 

1971fozzy

Also did we not put a revamp suggestion forward in Covid after our demotion ? 
And were told to GTF ?

Byyy The Light
8 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It has been covered before, but no harm in discussing it again…

Personally, this is what I’d like to see:

3 Main Leagues

- Premiership (18 teams)

- Championship (18 teams)

- Conference/Another (12 teams)

Below that, Highland and Lowland Leagues as is (numbers could vary).

PREMIERSHIP

Legue Format

18 teams playing each other twice, home and away. No split, 34 games over the season. Allows for a winter break and more opportunity to reschedule without fixture lists being too packed.

European Playoffs

We currently have 5 European spots:

1st = Champions League

2nd = Champions League playoffs

SC Winner = Europa League playoffs

3rd = Conference League playoffs

4th = Conference League playoffs

(We all know what happens if the SC winner has already got European qualification)

What I would suggest, is at the end of the 34 game campaign and the SC final is done, the teams from 4th to 7th (assuming SC winner hasn’t qualified already, otherwise it would be 5th to 8th) have playoffs. Semi-finals at each home ground and final at Hampden. The winner gets the last European spot, that would normally be held for the 5th team (4th in league or 5th if SC winners already qualified) This would allow the teams to have an extra few games, would also add excitement to end of the season.

Relegation

3 teams automatically relegated, no relegation playoff in the top league

Participating Teams

Using the current league standings of the Premiership and Championship, the 18 teams would be:

Aberdeen

Airdrie

Celtic

Dundee

Dundee Utd

Dunfermline

Greenock Morton

Heart of Midlothian

Hibernian

Kilmarnock

Livingston

Motherwell

Partick Thistle

Raith Rovers

Rangers

Ross County

St. Johnstone

St. Mirren

CHAMPIONSHIP

League Format

18 teams playing each other twice, home and away. 34 games, no split. Allows for a winter break and more opportunity to reschedule without fixture lists being too packed.

Promotion Playoff

Top 2 teams automatically get promoted to the Premiership. Teams 3rd to 6th go into play-offs, two legged semi finals (one at each ground) and Final at Hampden.

Relegation / Relegation Play-off

Bottom 2 Teams automatically relegated to Conference/Another. Team that finished 16th has two legged playoff against team that wins promotion playoffs in Conference/Another.

Participating Teams

Using the current league standings of the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2, the 18 teams would be:

Annan Athletic

Alloa

Arbroath

Ayr

Cove Rangers

Dumbarton

Falkirk

FC Edinburgh

Hamilton

Inverness CT

Kelty Hearts

Montrose

Peterhead

Queen of the South

Queen’s Park

Stenhousemuir

Stirling Albion

Spartans

CONFERENCE/ANOTHER

League Format

12 teams playing each other 3 times, home and away. 33 games, then split like Premiership currently has. 38 games in total, allowing teams unlikely to advance in cups some extra gate receipt opportunities.

Promotion Playoff

Top 2 teams automatically get promoted to the Championship. Teams 3rd and 4th go into play-offs, two legs one at each ground. The winner then has a two legged playoff against the team who finished 16th in the Championship.

Relegation

Bottom 2 Teams automatically relegated to Highland or Lowland Leagues to be replaced by Champions of each the Highland League and the Lowland League.

Participating Teams

Using the current league standings of League 2, and for the purposes of this hypothetical scenario selective teams from Highland and Lowland leagues (based mostly on who’s been in the league set up recently) the 12 teams could be:

Albion Rovers
Bonnyrigg Rose

Brechin City

Celtic B

Clyde

Cowdenbeath

East Fife

East Kilbride

Elgin City

Forfar

Hearts B

Stranraer

*Celtic B and Hearts B could not be promoted, but could be relegated

SUPER CUP

To satisfy those complaining about lack of OF games (TV), a Super Cup between league and cup winner from previous season can be the season opener. Either one off at Hampden (like in England) or two legs like European countries do, with one at each ground.

SCOTTISH CUP

No change

LEAGUE CUP

Same group format to begin with, but knockout stages are two legs. One at each home ground, all the way to the semi finals, only the final would be played at Hampden. Means teams worrying about dropping from 38 to 34 games have the opportunity to get more games through competition progression.

RESERVES

I would like an official in line reserve league set up, like the EPL2. If this was in place, then B teams would not be needed and would be replaced in Conference/Another league by other teams in the pyramid.

Far far too sensible

I've said it before but the Belgian league has 16 teams with end of season playoffs for the title, Euro places and relegation. Very few meaningless matches. Belgian league is thriving on the European stage too and had three teams going for the title up to injury time last season. I would go 16 Premier league, similar sized 2nd division and regionalised below that, North, East and West. Pretty much 90% of teams in senior football would move up one or two divisions overnight so shouldn't be hard to get most clubs on board.

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Also did we not put a revamp suggestion forward in Covid after our demotion ? 
And were told to GTF ?

Yes, but that was self interest to avoid demotion. Why haven't we raised it since?

Byyy The Light
27 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

2 fewer home games

4 fewer category A games

A greatly reduced TV pot being split 18 ways instead of 12.

An 18 team league would be financial suicide.

Don’t agree. Crowds would be up, smaller clubs would get more money. Standard would rise across the board.

We go on a sustained winning run and we’re taking 5k plus to away games all over the country, especially if it’s a one off trip to Pittodrie for example

Weebroon98
1 minute ago, Flimsy said:

I've said it before but the Belgian league has 16 teams with end of season playoffs for the title, Euro places and relegation. Very few meaningless matches. Belgian league is thriving on the European stage too and had three teams going for the title up to injury time last season. I would go 16 Premier league, similar sized 2nd division and regionalised below that, North, East and West. Pretty much 90% of teams in senior football would move up one or two divisions overnight so shouldn't be hard to get most clubs on board.

Great idea and would improve the league but majority of the top league including the sheep and hibs want the OF £'s

1971fozzy
1 minute ago, Flimsy said:

Yes, but that was self interest to avoid demotion. Why haven't we raised it since?

probably because there’s no appetite for it , these same clubs that want 2 home games v old firm, hearts and hibs will still say no.

we took 5,000 to Livingston. They’re not going to want to replace that with a home game v Raith Rovers.

Just now, Weebroon98 said:

Great idea and would improve the league but majority of the top league including the sheep and hibs want the OF £'s

Finishing top six would get 4 matches vs Old Firm. Old Firm pretty much 99.9% certain to get their 4 matches too.

Phil D. Corners
2 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

I would give this a try. I.e. a play off. 

Modern football is all about who had the biggest cheque book and leagues can be bought. A chance play off would help neutralise this. 

Byyy The Light
12 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Having attended every game just about in 60's and 70's the only thing that we hax as excitement were relegation battles.  There were other seasons when we were midtable, and nothing really at stake and it did lower an already pretty low standard.  St Mirren v Anybody else midtable couldn't even get a pulse going. 

There was less incentive for European spots back then. Season tickets weren’t as prevalent and it was 2 point for a win.

Football as a business/industry and the customer habits have changed beyond all recognition since the 70s.

The meaningless games chat is a lot of nonsense in my opinion. Every game could be argued to be meaningless as we have no chance of winning the league.

Just now, Phil D. Corners said:

I would give this a try. I.e. a play off. 

Modern football is all about who had the biggest cheque book and leagues can be bought. A chance play off would help neutralise this. 

It's not a one match play off, it's top six playing each other twice. Interestingly, they halve points won in the first 30 games though.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

Don’t agree. Crowds would be up, smaller clubs would get more money. Standard would rise across the board.

We go on a sustained winning run and we’re taking 5k plus to away games all over the country, especially if it’s a one off trip to Pittodrie for example

I don’t think crowds would be up for Motherwell v Morton tbh. We may well take 5k but we will only be visiting once, as will Aberdeen and Hibs. They will go from 10 home games against the big 5 to 5z. 

Putting aside fact that the chances of it ever happening are zero I wouldn’t think gates would improve for a lot of clubs. 

Jackhmfc1348
9 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It has been covered before, but no harm in discussing it again…

Personally, this is what I’d like to see:

3 Main Leagues

- Premiership (18 teams)

- Championship (18 teams)

- Conference/Another (12 teams)

Below that, Highland and Lowland Leagues as is (numbers could vary).

PREMIERSHIP

Legue Format

18 teams playing each other twice, home and away. No split, 34 games over the season. Allows for a winter break and more opportunity to reschedule without fixture lists being too packed.

European Playoffs

We currently have 5 European spots:

1st = Champions League

2nd = Champions League playoffs

SC Winner = Europa League playoffs

3rd = Conference League playoffs

4th = Conference League playoffs

(We all know what happens if the SC winner has already got European qualification)

What I would suggest, is at the end of the 34 game campaign and the SC final is done, the teams from 4th to 7th (assuming SC winner hasn’t qualified already, otherwise it would be 5th to 8th) have playoffs. Semi-finals at each home ground and final at Hampden. The winner gets the last European spot, that would normally be held for the 5th team (4th in league or 5th if SC winners already qualified) This would allow the teams to have an extra few games, would also add excitement to end of the season.

Relegation

3 teams automatically relegated, no relegation playoff in the top league

Participating Teams

Using the current league standings of the Premiership and Championship, the 18 teams would be:

Aberdeen

Airdrie

Celtic

Dundee

Dundee Utd

Dunfermline

Greenock Morton

Heart of Midlothian

Hibernian

Kilmarnock

Livingston

Motherwell

Partick Thistle

Raith Rovers

Rangers

Ross County

St. Johnstone

St. Mirren

CHAMPIONSHIP

League Format

18 teams playing each other twice, home and away. 34 games, no split. Allows for a winter break and more opportunity to reschedule without fixture lists being too packed.

Promotion Playoff

Top 2 teams automatically get promoted to the Premiership. Teams 3rd to 6th go into play-offs, two legged semi finals (one at each ground) and Final at Hampden.

Relegation / Relegation Play-off

Bottom 2 Teams automatically relegated to Conference/Another. Team that finished 16th has two legged playoff against team that wins promotion playoffs in Conference/Another.

Participating Teams

Using the current league standings of the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2, the 18 teams would be:

Annan Athletic

Alloa

Arbroath

Ayr

Cove Rangers

Dumbarton

Falkirk

FC Edinburgh

Hamilton

Inverness CT

Kelty Hearts

Montrose

Peterhead

Queen of the South

Queen’s Park

Stenhousemuir

Stirling Albion

Spartans

CONFERENCE/ANOTHER

League Format

12 teams playing each other 3 times, home and away. 33 games, then split like Premiership currently has. 38 games in total, allowing teams unlikely to advance in cups some extra gate receipt opportunities.

Promotion Playoff

Top 2 teams automatically get promoted to the Championship. Teams 3rd and 4th go into play-offs, two legs one at each ground. The winner then has a two legged playoff against the team who finished 16th in the Championship.

Relegation

Bottom 2 Teams automatically relegated to Highland or Lowland Leagues to be replaced by Champions of each the Highland League and the Lowland League.

Participating Teams

Using the current league standings of League 2, and for the purposes of this hypothetical scenario selective teams from Highland and Lowland leagues (based mostly on who’s been in the league set up recently) the 12 teams could be:

Albion Rovers
Bonnyrigg Rose

Brechin City

Celtic B

Clyde

Cowdenbeath

East Fife

East Kilbride

Elgin City

Forfar

Hearts B

Stranraer

*Celtic B and Hearts B could not be promoted, but could be relegated

SUPER CUP

To satisfy those complaining about lack of OF games (TV), a Super Cup between league and cup winner from previous season can be the season opener. Either one off at Hampden (like in England) or two legs like European countries do, with one at each ground.

SCOTTISH CUP

No change

LEAGUE CUP

Same group format to begin with, but knockout stages are two legs. One at each home ground, all the way to the semi finals, only the final would be played at Hampden. Means teams worrying about dropping from 38 to 34 games have the opportunity to get more games through competition progression.

RESERVES

I would like an official in line reserve league set up, like the EPL2. If this was in place, then B teams would not be needed and would be replaced in Conference/Another league by other teams in the pyramid.

That would be a great format 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Weebroon98 said:

see my earlier suggestion. Everyone would get something .  Basically the Belgian system without the point reset. And gives everyone the number of fixtures they want 

Edited by kingantti1874

Gorgie_Rules

I know you can’t just pick and choose teams, but seeing clubs with bigger supports/stadiums in the top flight would be good, along with derbies.

The likes of Dunfermline, Dundee Utd, Partick, Falkirk, Ayr. And then having derbies such as Dundee, Fife, Ayrshire etc would certainly make things more interesting. 

Nothing will change without the Old Firms say so though, so its a non starter.

LarrysRightFoot

Can’t stand the financial suicide argument. The game managed fine without Rangers in the top flight for 4 seasons, us for 2, Hibs for 3. 

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don’t think crowds would be up for Motherwell v Morton tbh. We may well take 5k but we will only be visiting once, as will Aberdeen and Hibs. They will go from 10 home games against the big 5 to 5z. 

Putting aside fact that the chances of it ever happening are zero I wouldn’t think gates would improve for a lot of clubs. 

If Motherwell are playing well and on a run they’d get a crowd.

You can’t convince me it’s any different from Motherwell v Ross County/Livingston/Dundee twice or 3 times a season.

I agree there’s no chance of it happening because people upstairs can’t see past the end of their noses.

LarrysRightFoot
23 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

St Mirren v anybody just now doesn’t get anyone other than St Mirren and their oppositions fans pulses racing! 

Plus as I and others have pointed out there were about 3 meaningful places to play for back then now there would be 7 or 8.

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Phil D. Corners
5 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

It's not a one match play off, it's top six playing each other twice. Interestingly, they halve points won in the first 30 games though.

Yeah. I’m actually kinda against a single match play off. But a bit if chance for a few teams is something I like. 

2 hours ago, Hansel said:

The bum cheeks and the TV companies wouldn't part with their precious 4 glasgow derbies per year.

Doesn't matter what the fans think unfortunately. 

This

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

If Motherwell are playing well and on a run they’d get a crowd.

You can’t convince me it’s any different from Motherwell v Ross County/Livingston/Dundee twice or 3 times a season.

I agree there’s no chance of it happening because people upstairs can’t see past the end of their noses.

No it’s not different from well v RC.  Already a fixture with near zero interest. More of these types of fixtures won’t sell the league.  

I think you overestimate the size of these clubs - they are big enough to go in a sustained run and they simply do not have the support, they don’t exist.

There are better formats but a straight 18 in Scotland isn’t one of them imo.  

Phil D. Corners

Going to chuck in the South American 2 leagues of 10 format with mid season relegation for bottom 2/ top 2 teams. 

I really think this would work well in Scotland. I think it would be great for majority of teams in the league and could pave the way for a 18/20 team top tier. 

BackOfTheNet
9 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Can’t stand the financial suicide argument. The game managed fine without Rangers in the top flight for 4 seasons, us for 2, Hibs for 3. 

Let’s not let facts get in the way of a good soundbite though

Footballfirst

Uniform 16 team leagues throughout the pyramid, 3 up 3 down, creates lots of fluidity between leagues.

Top league of 16, play everyone twice, then split into 4 groups of 4 home and away. 36 games. Almost guarantees 4 games a season for the OF in the top group playing for the title.  2nd group of 4 likely playing for a Euro spot, bottom 4 playing to avoid relegation.

Second tier, also 16 teams. An an 8/8 split after 30 games could be used to provide another 7 games, alternatively play a league cup for the division.

Third tier downwards regionalised, North East, Central, South West. Champions of each league promoted automatically.

80 teams across the top 3 tiers encompasses 42 SPFL, 18 HL, 16 LL, plus 4 from EOS/WOS or opportunity for B teams.

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

the small clubs revenues dipped quite a lot. It’s not “suicide” but they won’t implement a system which results in less money. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Uniform 16 team leagues throughout the pyramid, 3 up 3 down, creates lots of fluidity between leagues.

Top league of 16, play everyone twice, then split into 4 groups of 4 home and away. 36 games. Almost guarantees 4 games a season for the OF in the top group playing for the title.  2nd group of 4 likely playing for a Euro spot, bottom 4 playing to avoid relegation.

Second tier, also 16 teams. An an 8/8 split after 30 games could be used to provide another 7 games, alternatively play a league cup for the division.

Third tier downwards regionalised, North East, Central, South West. Champions of each league promoted automatically.

80 teams across the top 3 tiers encompasses 42 SPFL, 18 HL, 16 LL, plus 4 from EOS/WOS or opportunity for B teams.

split twice.

First after 30 games into 2 groups of 8

then after 37 4 groups of 4 

40 fixtures in total. 

avoids massive fixture imbalance if you are suggesting 37 games which I assume you are.  They will never go for 44

Edited by kingantti1874

Jackhmfc1348

For everyone saying about meaningless games surely watching hearts play Kilmarnock 4 times a season and a high chance of playing them in the cup is abit boring 

the English championship has 24 teams (not saying Scotland should do that because that’s way to big) and their games are never meaningless 

johnnythejambo
4 hours ago, Sherbet said:

I can assure you the old 18 team league was 5h1t as well.for hearts latterly, usually upper mid table. Couldn't challenge for the league, couldn't get relegated. If you went out the SC in the first round the season was effectively over in January as most games were meaningless

Exactly 

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

No it’s not different from well v RC.  Already a fixture with near zero interest. More of these types of fixtures won’t sell the league.  

I think you overestimate the size of these clubs - they are big enough to go in a sustained run and they simply do not have the support, they don’t exist.

There are better formats but a straight 18 in Scotland isn’t one of them imo.  

I’d argue for any format that’s not the current set up tbh. It’s killing the game slowly.

I think teams like Motherwell have suffered from the malaise of the general public caused by the current set up and the dominance of the Old Firm.

Granted they might not ever be the size of Hearts but they would still be a competitive stable club.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

split twice.

First after 30 games into 2 groups of 8

then after 37 4 groups of 4 

40 fixtures in total. 

The double split increases the chance of unbalanced fixtures home/away or against a particular opponent.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The double split increases the chance of unbalanced fixtures home/away or against a particular opponent.

Reduces the risk against the 4 in your group.  Would create a guaranteed imbalance against the second pot.  

How many game are you advocating for

44 games is too many imo

37 is a guaranteed imbalance for 7 fixtures 

33 not enough games.  harms revenues.

if it’s 36 you play each other twice in the pits of 4 then you’d need 12 teams to give up their old firm and hearts / Aberdeen hearts fixtures.  I do like this idea but I don’t think it would be approved.

40 and the double split is the sweet spot imo 

there are better solutions than mine tbh, however I’m trying to come up with one teams would actually vote for. Slight increase in fixtures offsetting the revenue loss

Edited by kingantti1874

BackOfTheNet
14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Problem with this set up is the 3rd group of 4. Both yourself and kimgantti have suggested this, but that 3rd group of 4 would be the meaningless games everyone is going on about.

Splits create more meaningless games than an 18 team league with 10 or 11 of its positions meaning something.