Has Edinburgh went down the cludgie?

EH11_2NL

doddsyJR9
1 minute ago, Bender said:

Nae worries, you think the left wing want to see an end to *checks notes* shops. Crackpot. 

Are you 'left wing'?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FWJ

• doddsyJR9

• trotter

• Ulysses

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, doddsyJR9 said:

Are you 'left wing'?

My political leanings are as relevant to this discussion as the lack of cars speeding up and down Princes Street are to the type of shops opening up town. 

doddsyJR9
Just now, Bender said:

My political leanings are as relevant to this discussion as the lack of cars speeding up and down Princes Street are to the type of shops opening up town. 

Couldn't you have made the 'speeding cars'' do 'twenty is plenty'?

1 minute ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Couldn't you have made the 'speeding cars'' do 'twenty is plenty'?

No, lowering the speed limit would probably have made John Lewis go into administration or something. 

doddsyJR9
Just now, Bender said:

No, lowering the speed limit would probably have made John Lewis go into administration or something. 

Aye okay pal. 

2 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Aye okay pal. 

Best of luck dealing with the new regulations about parking on the pavement. Hopefully it doesn’t cause Urban Outfitters to burn down. 

doddsyJR9
Just now, Bender said:

Best of luck dealing with the new regulations about parking on the pavement. Hopefully it doesn’t cause Urban Outfitters to burn down. 

Beat it. 

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Indeed.  Then move across and have a look at Dublin, which is showing pretty much the same issues.

The problem with Edinburgh isn't that it's worse than other places; it's that it's been better in the past.  It's still magnificent to look at, but it could be a bit better down at street level.

I disagree that Edinburgh has been better in the past. 

Princes street perhaps but the Edinburgh of today is way better than the industrial,reekie, gap site ridden place of my youth (I’m 53).

The pubs, restaurants, hotels and general infrastructure are so much better today. 

Folk only really complain about a few tourist tat shops on princes street to be honest but the rest of the city is looking mighty fine. 

There’s been so much regeneration. 

Section Q
16 hours ago, TallPaul said:

The new St James' centre is smart with some nice shops. Seems the retailers are opting out of the older buildings 

It's drab and devoid of all colour and quite a dismal place to walk around.

Should suit Edinburgh down to the ground to be fair.

27 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Folk only really complain about a few tourist tat shops on princes street to be honest but the rest of the city is looking mighty fine. 

Princes Street (ish) is the bit that used to be better, and it's the bit that a lot of people get to see most.  City centres are kinda like thumbnails or mugshots, so how a city centre looks and feels does have an impact on the city's reputation.  I do think a lot of urban centres in Britain and Ireland have gone downhill since 2008 (or thereabouts).  Although I have more limited experience of them, I'm not sure this is true to the same extent in urban centres on the Continent.

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, Section Q said:

It's drab and devoid of all colour and quite a dismal place to walk around.

Should suit Edinburgh down to the ground to be fair.

You wanting bouncy castles?

Its decent. A fair selection of shops and has an open air feel about it. 

Pans Jambo

Was in Edinburgh on Saturday for some lunch, did the Johnny Walker tour and then a few drinks before getting the train home. The rooftop lounge at Johnny Walkers is really nice with lovely views across the city. Would recommend.

In general terms, I would say that there appears to be 2 levels of bars available. Really nice ones where its a bloody rip-off that's likely for tourists and pretentious folk with too much money (or the plastic Kardashians) , and more reasonable bars that are 'sweaty' with sticky carpets, disgusting broken toilets and not been painted for years.

Prime example being we went into the Cafe Royal which had a lively atmosphere and seemed quite nice. Then we went next door to the Guildford arms which seemed to me that it was once a nice pub but has been "let-go". Horrible sticky carpet and an awful atmosphere. You can see it's been 'let-go' over the years. I remember being in there many years ago and my recollection is it was nice.

Impression is that Edinburgh town centre bars have went to the dugs (unless you have a wedge to spend in a plastic pretentious bar).

Shooter McGavin

A lot of Edinburgh is really nice, and a lot of it is a total toilet. Pretty much the same as anywhere in Scotland.

Most of the folk I know who live in Edinburgh have a hint of snobbery about them - but them moan constantly about how expensive it is and how that means they can't really save money, and how the council are s****, and how there is dugsh*te everywhere, how the city centres a bit of a dump, how it's a nightmare during the fringe etc.

Section Q
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

You wanting bouncy castles?

Its decent. A fair selection of shops and has an open air feel about it. 

Decent is a compromise........

Drab and grey . . . Very Edinburgh......!

Bouncy castles . . . ?

I don't often shop on the high street to be totally honest. But the St James Quarter is a massive improvement on what it replaced. It's an obvious success. I think it works well and is packed anytime I'm walking through. 

The last remaining tenement block refurbishment, outside the entrance to the W Hotel is very well done.

il Duce McTarkin
12 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I was enquiring about joining an Edinburgh Leisure gym today. I work away from home roughly 6 months of the year, and Ed' Leisure has no package available which makes financial sense for me. Nuffield a bit further down the road offers an offshore membership which you can use for 6 months of the year broken up any way that is convenient. Ed' Leisure have even done away with the 'pay for 8 and get 10' package which I have used a lot in the past. Also, the gym closes eary afternoon at weekends, which is also inconvenient for many folk these days.

As a consequence I'll be going elsewhere, so they've done themselves out of the best part of 500 quid minimum from me. With this inherent inflexibility, nae wonder they're screwed. Folk will just say **** 'em and go somewhere cheaper.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I started a thread on West Lothian Council closing three swimming pools.

The thread met a very lax response that surprised me.

My feelings are these are victims of a short term issue (cost living and energy price rise).

We have millions spent from the Lottery funds on athletes.

With this short term outlook, we will have no athletes to sponsor in years to come.

So wrong to let these facilities to close. 

Edinburgh is terrific. People who don't like it can only have lived in a handful of top tier places.

It's streets ahead of pretty much every UK city barring a couple.

highlandjambo3

I’m down tomorrow for a couple of days…..taking the grandkids bowling at fountain park…..not looking forward to driving from Gorebridge to fountain park at about 10mph…..does my nut in 🤬.  Didn’t mind growing up in Edinburgh (didn’t have a choice though) but, I’d never live there.

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I was enquiring about joining an Edinburgh Leisure gym today. I work away from home roughly 6 months of the year, and Ed' Leisure has no package available which makes financial sense for me. Nuffield a bit further down the road offers an offshore membership which you can use for 6 months of the year broken up any way that is convenient. Ed' Leisure have even done away with the 'pay for 8 and get 10' package which I have used a lot in the past. Also, the gym closes eary afternoon at weekends, which is also inconvenient for many folk these days.

As a consequence I'll be going elsewhere, so they've done themselves out of the best part of 500 quid minimum from me. With this inherent inflexibility, nae wonder they're screwed. Folk will just say **** 'em and go somewhere cheaper.

Based on nothing except casual observation i feel the council leisure centres have never recovered from covid/lockdown. Moreso because there did not seem to be a proper push to get people back in to the pools, gyms etc

il Duce McTarkin
14 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Based on nothing except casual observation i feel the council leisure centres have never recovered from covid/lockdown. Moreso because there did not seem to be a proper push to get people back in to the pools, gyms etc

You're probably right, Nookie, but that may be down to the lack of resources for an effective promotional campaign.