Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not Hawaii? 

Aleutian islands

Samuel Camazzola
50 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nope. 

👍 I'll take your wisdom and see if this comes to my advantage when the question appears on the Chase. 😁

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Depending on various things, barrel length, care and cleaning, caliber, cartridge, how hot the round is loaded, but, 6 seconds will take maybe 3000 shots.

Barrel life expectancy…..never heard of that one.🤷‍♂️

When you join the military your issues with a rifle, it’s yours, you keep it till you leave, the same one.  I had mine for over 20 years, no barrel replacement required. 

I've fired 3000 shots through a weapon in the space of 30 minutes (see below)…..said weapon went on to spend 20+ years in service…… no barrel replacement ever required.

The only barrel regulations I recall were on the warrior infantry fighting vehicle, the 30mm cannon had a “rounds fired” register, when it reached a certain limit (can’t recall what) it was re rifled, dunno what that entailed as it was done by an armourer.

Tanks/artillery I don’t know about.

IMG_5965.jpeg

il Duce McTarkin
20 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

IMG_5965.jpeg

So eh, how would one go about acquiring one of these?

highlandjambo3
29 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Kevin Bridges can get you one for forty quid……..or speak to any American 😁

Edited by highlandjambo3

Dawnrazor
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

When you join the military your issues with a rifle, it’s yours, you keep it till you leave, the same one.  I had mine for over 20 years, no barrel replacement required. 

I've fired 3000 shots through a weapon in the space of 30 minutes (see below)…..said weapon went on to spend 20+ years in service…… no barrel replacement ever required.

The only barrel regulations I recall were on the warrior infantry fighting vehicle, the 30mm cannon had a “rounds fired” register, when it reached a certain limit (can’t recall what) it was re rifled, dunno what that entailed as it was done by an armourer.

IMG_5965.jpeg

I'm can't comment on the quality or expectation of accuracy in military rifles of the time you were in the Army, the first barrel on my .243 (6×52) lasted about 3500 ish rounds before the accuracy dropped off and groups started opening up to an unacceptable level, the rounds were pushing the bullets at around 3600fps, so the barrel life was a bit above 7 seconds I think. Many new cartridges like the 26 Nosler, 6 & 6.5x284 will fire less than 1000 rounds before the inevitable loss of accuracy, a barrel life of around 3 or so seconds. Throat and crown damage being the reason, as well as some damage to the rifeling.

Overbored (a large case volume or case capacity, coupled with a relatively small diameter bullet)cartridges like the 25-06, .220 Swift, 6 Dasher, 26 Nosler and their like have shorter barrel life's, pushing bullets to or over 4000fps, than a .308 (7.62x51 nato) who's barrel will last longer.

Many target shooters, F Class ect, who come up with and develop wildcat rounds have to be competent rifle smiths due to the rate the go through barrels. If you're firing a semi auto at things the size of a tank or a land rover or spraying bullets over an area at non specific targets then pinpoint moa or sub moa accuracy is not an overriding factor, but would a sniper go into the field with a shot out barrel with a damaged troat and crown and expect to shoot the enemy in the the head at 8 or 900 meters?

Edited by Dawnrazor

superjack
28 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm can't comment on the quality or expectation of accuracy in military rifles of the time you were in the Army, the first barrel on my .243 (6×52) lasted about 3500 ish rounds before the accuracy dropped off and groups started opening up to an unacceptable level, the rounds were pushing the bullets at around 3600fps, so the barrel life was a bit above 7 seconds I think. Many new cartridges like the 26 Nosler, 6 & 6.5x284 will fire less than 1000 rounds before the inevitable loss of accuracy, a barrel life of around 3 or so seconds. Throat and crown damage being the reason, as well as some damage to the rifeling.

Overbored (a large case volume or case capacity, coupled with a relatively small diameter bullet)cartridges like the 25-06, .220 Swift, 6 Dasher, 26 Nosler and their like have shorter barrel life's, pushing bullets to or over 4000fps, than a .308 (7.62x51 nato) who's barrel will last longer.

Many target shooters, F Class ect, who come up with and develop wildcat rounds have to be competent rifle smiths due to the rate the go through barrels. If you're firing a semi auto at things the size of a tank or a land rover or spraying bullets over an area at non specific targets then pinpoint moa or sub moa accuracy is not an overriding factor, but would a sniper go into the field with a shot out barrel with a damaged troat and crown and expect to shoot the enemy in the the head at 8 or 900 meters?

I was an armourer when I was in the RAF, and I didn't know about this life expectancy of the barrel. Like @highlandjambo3, I've spent many a day on the range firing fully automatic rifles with no loss of accuracy. Maybe military gear is just built to tougher specs.

On the tornado F3, after a seriesn of firing their guns (30mm high explosive rounds that looked like dildos), the barrels are changed out. Not sure if they were re rifled though as we only swapped them out and sent them back to the gun bay.

3 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Just pop into your local grocery shop in Idaho.

Dawnrazor
1 hour ago, superjack said:

I was an armourer when I was in the RAF, and I didn't know about this life expectancy of the barrel. Like @highlandjambo3, I've spent many a day on the range firing fully automatic rifles with no loss of accuracy. Maybe military gear is just built to tougher specs.

On the tornado F3, after a seriesn of firing their guns (30mm high explosive rounds that looked like dildos), the barrels are changed out. Not sure if they were re rifled though as we only swapped them out and sent them back to the gun bay.

I'd love to know what range you were shooting at? What groups were acceptable?

What measurements were used, MOA?

M16's were usually shot out before 10000 shots, with serious accuracy drop off before that. Barrel damage is inevitable, you cannot put thousands of rounds down a barrel without any effect.

5 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

IMG_5965.jpeg

Ah the ole GPMG. Im sure hot gun is 200 rounds so plenty barrel changes needed surely? Or do you mean none of them broke/cracked?

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, Negan said:

Ah the ole GPMG. Im sure hot gun is 200 rounds so plenty barrel changes needed surely? Or do you mean none of them broke/cracked?

200 rounds before the barrel needs swapped?

superjack
24 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

M16's were usually shot out before 10000 shots, with serious accuracy drop off before that. Barrel damage is inevitable, you cannot put thousands of rounds down a barrel without any effect.

It was gpmg, 7.62mm, or an lsw, 5.56mm.

We done this in training on the range 1 day. I ended up posted to a squadron and not in the armoury. Probably basing my (lack of) knowledge on the basic training we had for maintenance. A long time ago as well.

Mikey1874

Artificial intelligence. In America they use an algorithm to try to prevent opiod abuse in prescriptions.

But one problem is people are being refused prescriptions because in America when an animal is prescribed medicines it is under the name of the owner and the algorithm is including these in the assessments. 

Dawnrazor
12 minutes ago, superjack said:

It was gpmg, 7.62mm, or an lsw, 5.56mm.

We done this in training on the range 1 day. I ended up posted to a squadron and not in the armoury. Probably basing my (lack of) knowledge on the basic training we had for maintenance. A long time ago as well.

That's. 308 and .223 in civilian term, the .308 for years was, and still is in some places, the go to sniper caliber, very accurate and not known as a "berrel burner" if used with sensible rounds, not wound up to the maximum or over SAAMI pressures, the barrel would last probably 12 to 15 seconds but they're swapped berore that usually. The .223 is a very common cartridge, I'd say one of the top 3 used, these can be loaded very hot and can burn out a barrel in inside 3000 rounds.

The thing about accuracy is expectation, if you're in the army and use an SA80 with the very short 13.5 inch barrel and you're shooting at man sized targets on the move, you'd probably be happy getting 3 shots inside an 18 inch circle at 50 meters,the berrel could be pretty shot out and you'd still get that, but take that same rife to a 100 meter range when it's fired into the thousands of rounds and it wouldn't group anywhere near MOA due to the damage caused by firing lots of shots in a short space of time. 

highlandjambo3
36 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

M16's were usually shot out before 10000 shots, with serious accuracy drop off before that. Barrel damage is inevitable, you cannot put thousands of rounds down a barrel without any effect.

Usually grouping on a 100m range although this can be done on a 25m/barrack range.  The correct zero point (CZP) is (was) 100mm above the white centre patch on a target on a 100m range.  This allowed you to hit targets up to 300m without adjusting your sight, 300m being judged as the maximum range an individual can hit a target at with a personal rifle, 600m is deemed the maximum range a group can effectively hit a target.  

We then move onto support weapons like the GPMG (sustained fire) mentioned above, on a tripod you can effectively fire out to 2km but the tracer burns out at 1200 so, it can be difficult to see your “strike” after 1200m, there is 1 tracer to every 4 rounds on a GPMG belt.  Yes the guidelines do determine when to barrel change but, sometimes on active service your a bit to….hmmm….busy to change the barrel.  Same with the warrior chain gun, there are pre determined barrel changes but you do what you can when you can.  As both weapons are area oppressors you don’t need to be to accurate, the warrior has a 1 tracer to 1 round ammunition belt……..it’s a sight to see 10 of these lined us for live firing at night.

Dawnrazor
3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Usually grouping on a 100m range although this can be done on a 25m/barrack range.  The correct zero point (CZP) is (was) 100mm above the white centre patch on a target on a 100m range.  This allowed you to hit targets up to 300m without adjusting your sight, 300m being judged as the maximum range an individual can hit a target at with a personal rifle, 600m is deemed the maximum range a group can effectively hit a target.  

We then move onto support weapons like the GPMG (sustained fire) mentioned above, on a tripod you can effectively fire out to 2km but the tracer burns out at 1200 so, it can be difficult to see your “strike” after 1200m, there is 1 tracer to every 4 rounds on a GPMG belt.  Yes the guidelines do determine when to barrel change but, sometimes on active service your a bit to….hmmm….busy to change the barrel.  Same with the warrior chain gun, there are pre determined barrel changes but you do what you can when you can.  As both weapons are area oppressors you don’t need to be to accurate, the warrior has a 1 tracer to 1 round ammunition belt……..it’s a sight to see 10 of these lined us for live firing at night.

Pretty close to the point blank system. 

What group sizes were you aiming to get at 300 yards? A rifle shooting MOA should get inside or on 3 inch.

Edited by Dawnrazor

highlandjambo3
19 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Pretty close to the point blank system. 

What group sizes were you aiming to get at 300 yards? A rifle shooting MOA should get inside or on 3 inch.

All grouping was done at 100m (or 25m barrack range).

Zeroing and grouping is stage 1 of training the battle shot.

Application/advanced application of fire is stage 2 & 3, at this stage you would be engaging static and moving targets at up to 300m whilst standing, kneeling or prone position, there is no requirement to measure a group as this was covered at stage 1, the touch test here is a pass or fail I.e 7 shots hits out of 10 is a pass.

highlandjambo3

I passed my infantry skill at arms course which allowed my to train personnel on all infantry weapons up to 50calibre, this also included grenade, 51mm mortar, 66 & 90mm anti tank missile launchers.  I expanded my knowledge by learning explosive ordinance and, spent 18weeks at the anti tank division training as platoon commander, the AT weapon at that time was MILAN……..I could not even wildly guess at how many rounds I have fired in that time 🤷‍♂️

I know my bazookas 😁

IMG_5966.jpeg

Dawnrazor
43 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

All grouping was done at 100m (or 25m barrack range).

Zeroing and grouping is stage 1 of training the battle shot.

Application/advanced application of fire is stage 2 & 3, at this stage you would be engaging static and moving targets at up to 300m whilst standing, kneeling or prone position, there is no requirement to measure a group as this was covered at stage 1, the touch test here is a pass or fail I.e 7 shots hits out of 10 is a pass.

Difficult to test for accuracy of the weapon if groups aren't measured, the 7 out of 10 system I presume would be the minimum pass and further instruction would determine the weapon and user to a higher standard. I'd love to fire some of the big boy toys you'll have used!!

highlandjambo3
16 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Difficult to test for accuracy of the weapon if groups aren't measured, the 7 out of 10 system I presume would be the minimum pass and further instruction would determine the weapon and user to a higher standard. I'd love to fire some of the big boy toys you'll have used!!

Like I said….the grouping and zeroing at stage 1 remains back there and isn’t revisited unless there is some concern over a soldiers accuracy during the remaining stages…ie the sight is broken, been damaged or tampered with.

That 7 out of 10 was just an example and, would only be used as part of an overall stage of one shoot practice ie 10 rounds standing, 10 rounds, kneeling, 10 rounds laying down (prone) all at 300m, 30 rounds expended, pass for standing would be lower than the pass for kneeling which would be lower than pass for prone.  Troops then advance 100m….repeat the shoot (pass is adjusted as they are closer)….advance another 100m…..repeat……….So that’s 90 rounds fired, 2 magazine changes, 3 different distances with 3 different firing postures………this is just one example…the accuracy of the practice is quite simply a pass or fail at the end..hope it’s clear 👍

UK firing ranges are all monitored by a system called SARTS (small arms range targetry system) delivered by Lockheed Martin…..it’s a hi tech piece of work…..it basically puts an invisible screen over the target which then detects every single shot (even the ones that miss) and, the soldiers can see each strike via a iPad tablet like thing…….it does so much more as well but, would take ages to go through it.

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Like I said….the grouping and zeroing at stage 1 remains back there and isn’t revisited unless there is some concern over a soldiers accuracy during the remaining stages…ie the sight is broken, been damaged or tampered with.

That 7 out of 10 was just an example and, would only be used as part of an overall stage of one shoot practice ie 10 rounds standing, 10 rounds, kneeling, 10 rounds laying down (prone) all at 300m, 30 rounds expended, pass for standing would be lower than the pass for kneeling which would be lower than pass for prone.  Troops then advance 100m….repeat the shoot (pass is adjusted as they are closer)….advance another 100m…..repeat……….So that’s 90 rounds fired, 2 magazine changes, 3 different distances with 3 different firing postures………this is just one example…the accuracy of the practice is quite simply a pass or fail at the end..hope it’s clear 👍

UK firing ranges are all monitored by a system called SARTS (small arms range targetry system) delivered by Lockheed Martin…..it’s a hi tech piece of work…..it basically puts an invisible screen over the target which then detects every single shot (even the ones that miss) and, the soldiers can see each strike via a iPad tablet like thing…….it does so much more as well but, would take ages to go through it.

👍

il Duce McTarkin

Well that was an enjoyabe and interesting exchange. 

25 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

We had our buddy watch over our shoulder and we'd then go up and measure our grouping manually and marked it down in our booklet. Are you saying that was a classic make it hard for the sake of it Army charade and we could have just been given a digital read out?

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We had our buddy watch over our shoulder and we'd then go up and measure our grouping manually and marked it down in our booklet. Are you saying that was a classic make it hard for the sake of it Army charade and we could have just been given a digital read out?

Often in long distance target shooting, there's a camera on the target and a tablet or laptop next to you showing the bullets strike points.

highlandjambo3
11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yes that’s old school stuff…..nip down the range with a ruler and measure the size of the group.  The requirements are the same today, just the methods have changed…………they even give sojurz winter socks now 🤬

highlandjambo3
9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Often in long distance target shooting, there's a camera on the target and a tablet or laptop next to you showing the bullets strike points.

I never did any official sniper training during my service but, I did assist two sniper instructors in my unit to conduct training for 10 potential candidates to be sent to the sniper school division.  I had literally no idea how much work was involved and how demanding it is, the last 5% is the shot…..the other 95% build up takes some balls (stamina/endurance)

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I never did any official sniper training during my service but, I did assist two sniper instructors in my unit to conduct training for 10 potential candidates to be sent to the sniper school division.  I had literally no idea how much work was involved and how demanding it is, the last 5% is the shot…..the other 95% build up takes some balls (stamina/endurance)

I find the whole sniper thing fascinating, not just the accuracy at which they can fire a rifle but over the distances they do, having to factor in the coriolis force into making a shot!!!

There's a few good docu's on YouTube about their training and books like those on Colonel Hathcock are a brilliant read.

I've always promised myself a range day with an ex military guy up in Dumfrieshire, he does days training at ranges out to 1km, I'm a decent enough shot and have decent enough gear but I reckon you'd learn a lot from someone like that. 

been here before
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I find the whole sniper thing fascinating, not just the accuracy at which they can fire a rifle but over the distances they do, having to factor in the coriolis force into making a shot!!!

There's a few good docu's on YouTube about their training and books like those on Colonel Hathcock are a brilliant read.

I've always promised myself a range day with an ex military guy up in Dumfrieshire, he does days training at ranges out to 1km, I'm a decent enough shot and have decent enough gear but I reckon you'd learn a lot from someone like that. 

Some of the videos Craig Harrison has on youtube made by LADbible and others are quite engrossing. Not just about his sniper training and deployment but about his struggles following it with PTSD.

Dawnrazor
Just now, been here before said:

Some of the videos Craig Harrison has on youtube made by LADbible and others are quite engrossing. Not just about his sniper training and deployment but about his struggles following it with PTSD.

Yep, I've some of his videos, bloody hell it takes a special kind of man to do what he's done.

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, been here before said:

Seen those. Lad has some struggles now. 
He’s actually got a good podcast with James English too. 

been here before
22 hours ago, been here before said:

Mickey1874 posts more links on this board than every other member of every other message board in the world combined.

Strange but true...

On 16/01/2024 at 18:36, Mikey1874 said:

Since he's already been mentioned

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not such an unusual occurance

6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

200 rounds before the barrel needs swapped?

yeah.

Dawnrazor
20 minutes ago, Negan said:

yeah.

Makes sense, are the barrels easy to swap out? I don’t know anything about that kind of weapon.

the posh bit
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not such an unusual occurance

Guy killed one hell of a lot of civilians during his 28 years of delusion. 

30 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Makes sense, are the barrels easy to swap out? I don’t know anything about that kind of weapon.

Yeah, simple, the plastic barrel grip its pushed up and you just slide it off. Never touch the barrell though as it will melt your skin down to the bone in seconds. Like cheese stuck to a pizza  box lol

Dawnrazor
7 hours ago, Negan said:

According to the 'tinterweb, the barrels were designed to be changed every 440 shots or 2 full belts, understandable when you think of the temperature the barrel must get too.

Dawnrazor
Just now, Negan said:

Yeah, simple, the plastic barrel grip its pushed up and you just slide it off. Never touch the barrell though as it will melt your skin down to the bone in seconds. Like cheese stuck to a pizza  box lol

Aye, I can only imagine the state of a barrel after it was changed, I'd love to see one😅

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Aye, I can only imagine the state of a barrel after it was changed, I'd love to see one😅

Its goes a sort of white colour on the outside and the inside is full or carbon which is always satisfying to clean with a pull through cloth 

Dawnrazor
4 minutes ago, Negan said:

Its goes a sort of white colour on the outside and the inside is full or carbon which is always satisfying to clean with a pull through cloth 

Did the berrels get reused?

4 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes that’s old school stuff…..nip down the range with a ruler and measure the size of the group.  The requirements are the same today, just the methods have changed…………they even give sojurz winter socks now 🤬

I'm guessing it was to teach us some lesson, about something or other.

Even in my winter socks I was freezing, we were there so long marking the books 😂

5 hours ago, been here before said:

Strange but true...

31 more links the night.  :vrface:

Not quite the record, though.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Did the berrels get reused?

yeah, after they cool down they are cleaned, inspected and theyre good to go again. If youre in combat they just get reused right away, no cleaning 😅

henrysmithsgloves

The average life of a SA80 is four seconds when handled by a squaddie 🤐

7 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Well that was an enjoyabe and interesting exchange. 

Was?

8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

According to Reader's Digest, the world's shortest commercial flight is in Scotland.

The wee hop in Shetland.