WTF! Stranger than fiction facts.

Tazio

Kick off with this one. 
He fathered a child when he was in his 60’s, that child then fathered a child when he was in his 70’s. The grandchild was born in 1928 and is still alive in his early 90’s. 

IMG_0782.jpeg

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was watching the excellent Vietnam War series on the Documentary Channel today and realised that JFK was pretty much a bumbling fool like Boris Johnson - history has been very kind to him because he was assassinated...

14 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Was watching the excellent Vietnam War series on the Documentary Channel today and realised that JFK was pretty much a bumbling fool like Boris Johnson - history has been very kind to him because he was assassinated...

Not wrong there.

Tyrannosaurus Rex is nearer an iPad than it is to Stegosaurus

The “Resusci-Annie” CPR training doll is modelled on a body fished out of the Seine in Paris

Edited by FWJ

ri Alban
9 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Tyrannosaurus Rex is nearer an iPad than it is to Stegosaurus

The “Resusci-Annie” CPR training doll is modelled on a body fished out of the Seine in Paris

BlueRiver
19 hours ago, Ulysses said:

In 1912, it was reported that an orphanage in Paris ran a raffle where the prizes were live babies.

Snopes doesn't confirm the story as true, but it was published in a number of papers and magazines.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/03/18/paris-orphanage-raffle-babies/

I like the clarification that they were in fact live babies 👀

I would argue that even more incredible than the story quoted by the OP, is the fact that Helen Viola Jackson, the last widow of a veteran of the US Civil War, died in 2020 - that's 155 years after the end of the war! Her husband was born in 1843.

Another one that seems quite surprising is that the father of the ex PM John Major (who is 80) was born in 1879.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Identical twins don't have the same fingerprints.

But they have the same smell.

Everyone else is unique

Shanks said no

The highest paid entertainer of the 19th century was a farter

Going by the nickname “Le Petomane”, Joseph Pujol was a French professional farter. To get an idea how popular Pujol was in Paris back then, he earned even more money than the likes of Pablo Picasso and Marcel Proust.

He was the “main event” at the Moulin Rouge, and toured the world for more than two decades with incredible success. What exactly was his talent? He seduced his audiences with his artistic and musical farts.

Le Petomane promotional poster.

http://www.weirdhistorian.com/le-petomane/

the posh bit

"Le Petomane”, Joseph Pujol was the highest paid performer of the 19th Century. His act? He was a professional farter who toured the world and headlined the Moulin Rouge. 

hughesie27
44 minutes ago, Shanks said no said:

The highest paid entertainer of the 19th century was a farter

Going by the nickname “Le Petomane”, Joseph Pujol was a French professional farter. To get an idea how popular Pujol was in Paris back then, he earned even more money than the likes of Pablo Picasso and Marcel Proust.

He was the “main event” at the Moulin Rouge, and toured the world for more than two decades with incredible success. What exactly was his talent? He seduced his audiences with his artistic and musical farts.

Le Petomane promotional poster.

http://www.weirdhistorian.com/le-petomane/

38 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

"Le Petomane”, Joseph Pujol was the highest paid performer of the 19th Century. His act? He was a professional farter who toured the world and headlined the Moulin Rouge. 

:_wtf___by_Green_Ogr

2 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

I like the clarification that they were in fact live babies 👀

:laugh:

Lone Striker
23 hours ago, Spellczech said:

They also share the reputation of having shagged an astronomical  number of  women (mostly blondes).   In JFK's case, this may have contributed to his severe back pain. for which he required to wear a back-brace  support thingy a lot of the time. 

I watched a documentary on LBJ earlier this year, and was astonished to hear that when he took over from  JFK his record of shagging mistresses  was quite prolific too.

Spellczech
16 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

They also share the reputation of having shagged an astronomical  number of  women (mostly blondes).   In JFK's case, this may have contributed to his severe back pain. for which he required to wear a back-brace  support thingy a lot of the time. 

I watched a documentary on LBJ earlier this year, and was astonished to hear that when he took over from  JFK his record of shagging mistresses  was quite prolific too.

The documentary did not spare him either, but he'd never had the posthumously polished reputation of Kennedy. The filmmakers linked JFK's failures so succinctly that you kind of came to the conclusion that the assassination was just the American way of doing what happened to Boris here too. 

JudyJudyJudy

The actress Hedy Lamarr once known as the “ most beautiful woman in the world” was also the co inventor of frequency hoping , an earlier version of the GPS /wifi system . Fascinating. 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

The documentary did not spare him either, but he'd never had the posthumously polished reputation of Kennedy. The filmmakers linked JFK's failures so succinctly that you kind of came to the conclusion that the assassination was just the American way of doing what happened to Boris here too. 

Yes, quite possibly.  The Oliver STone documentary brought to light the infighting &  serious disagreements  between LBJ and JFK.  Can't remember the details, but the inference was that events surrounding the choice of cavalcade route, plus unexplained deviation from emergency protocol for the body immediately after the shooting, plus missing  testimony from 2 witnesses at the first official Congressional inquiry   all raised suspicion that LBJ had been involved somehow in the plot, even if it was just to turn a blind eye to what he knew.

Greedy Jambo

The CIA run the world, and there's nothing the president can do about it. 

WorldChampions1902
3 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

The CIA run the world, and there's nothing the president can do about it. 

Which is just one of the reasons why JFK was assassinated.

When Kennedy was asked to approve the CIA Operation Northwoods, which proposed the blowing up of US aircraft and ships, acts of terrorism across major US cities and a whole string of other murderous acts against US citizens, he not only point blank refused, he declared that he would quote, “smash the CIA into a thousand pieces”.

Kennedy also seriously p****d off senior members of the CIA with his legendary sha****ng exploits, one of whom was Mary Pinchot Meyer. She was the wife of CIA member Cord Meyer, who had very strong ties to Allen Dulles, the head of the CIA, whom Kennedy had previously fired, after the Bay of Pigs fiasco. Mary Pinchot Meyer kept a diary and not long after the Warren Commission released its bollocks findings, she was ‘murdered’. The patsy that was arrested was subsequently acquitted. Her diary was never found. And despite her husbands role, she was, like JFK , critical of the CIA.

Just another ‘coincidental’ death in the JFK assassination story.

Maple Leaf
25 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

When Kennedy was asked to approve the CIA Operation Northwoods, which proposed the blowing up of US aircraft and ships, acts of terrorism across major US cities and a whole string of other murderous acts against US citizens, he not only point blank refused, he declared that he would quote, “smash the CIA into a thousand pieces”.

Kennedy also seriously p****d off senior members of the CIA with his legendary sha****ng exploits, one of whom was Mary Pinchot Meyer. She was the wife of CIA member Cord Meyer, who had very strong ties to Allen Dulles, the head of the CIA, whom Kennedy had previously fired, after the Bay of Pigs fiasco. Mary Pinchot Meyer kept a diary and not long after the Warren Commission released its bollocks findings, she was ‘murdered’. The patsy that was arrested was subsequently acquitted. Her diary was never found. And despite her husbands role, she was, like JFK , critical of the CIA.

I don't want the thread to become a discussion on the Kennedy assassination, but an unbiased view of all the evidence would indicate that the CIA was involved, as was the Chicago Mafia.  And the paraffin tests on Lee Harvey Oswald were negative, proving that he did not fire a rifle that day.  Before he was murdered to shut him up, Oswald declared that he was a patsy, and he was.

AlphonseCapone
15 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I don't want the thread to become a discussion on the Kennedy assassination, but an unbiased view of all the evidence would indicate that the CIA was involved, as was the Chicago Mafia.  And the paraffin tests on Lee Harvey Oswald were negative, proving that he did not fire a rifle that day.  Before he was murdered to shut him up, Oswald declared that he was a patsy, and he was.

I haven't really looked into anything to do with JFK, just doesn't hold much appeal to me, maybe due to my age, but I just assumed that the conspiracy theories were simply that, mad conspiracies. That not the case?

Maple Leaf
12 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I haven't really looked into anything to do with JFK, just doesn't hold much appeal to me, maybe due to my age, but I just assumed that the conspiracy theories were simply that, mad conspiracies. That not the case?

I've read several books on the subject where the evidence is thoroughly reviewed.  Based on that, imo the assassination was a joint effort by the CIA and mafia, and Oswald had nothing to do with it.  The CIA/mafia had motive and had the means, whereas Oswald had neither.

WorldChampions1902
6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This is yet another ‘rabbit hole’. If you want to form your own opinion, do some reading. Proper reading. If you do, you will start to see a pattern. MSM lies clearly and unambiguously contradicted by witness testimony. Witness testimony that the Warren Commission chose to ignore because it didn’t fit the lone gunman conclusion.

Talking of witnesses, the Times of London reported a few years after the assassination of the 20 or so suspicious deaths of witnesses whose declarations contradicted the Warren Commission Report. They paid actuaries to come up with the odds (using their age profiles, occupations, etc) of their premature deaths. The conclusion? One hundred thousand billion to one! (Karate chops to the neck, multiple car accidents, shootings……..the whole shebang).

Nothing to see here though.

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Why would they need to do that if they already run things?

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I've read several books on the subject where the evidence is thoroughly reviewed.  Based on that, imo the assassination was a joint effort by the CIA and mafia, and Oswald had nothing to do with it.  The CIA/mafia had motive and had the means, whereas Oswald had neither.

Was one Best Evidence by David S. Lifton?

WorldChampions1902
19 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Why would they need to do that if they already run things?

The CIA needed JFK to sign off on the Operation Northwoods shitshow because it gave their shitshow ‘validity’. When Kennedy told the CIA to bolt, they facilitated his liquidation.

The previous sentence hopefully reinforces the message that they “run things”. As posited by @Greedy Jambo previously.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

JudyJudyJudy
57 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I thought the film “ jfk” was brilliant . The editing was superb and summing up by Jim Garrison at the end was stunning piece of cinema . I think that Oswald was a patsy , 💯 

WorldChampions1902
9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I thought the film “ jfk” was brilliant . The editing was superb and summing up by Jim Garrison at the end was stunning piece of cinema . I think that Oswald was a patsy , 💯 

Yes indeed - an absolutely brilliant film. And yet the Jim Garrison story still doesn’t get the credit it deserves IMHO. An interesting footnote to that film has been the unrelenting determination of Oliver Stone to try and get to the truth, right to this day.

Had it not been for Jim Garrison, we wouldn’t have seen the Zapruder film that wasn’t leaked until the mid 1970’s and which totally destroys the Warren Commission Report.

Maple Leaf
36 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Was one Best Evidence by David S. Lifton?

Yes.  The book that really opened my eyes was "Rush to Judgement" by Mark Lane.

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

And yet the Jim Garrison story still doesn’t get the credit it deserves IMHO. An

Yes garrison  has been ridiculed and maligned ( for the obvious reasons ) Stone  is a good man with principles and a searcher of the truth .Hes been a thorn in the side of the establishment , much like Michael Moore .  I believe his and Garrisons version of what happened to JFK. 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

WorldChampions1902
5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes @John Findlay and “Rush to Judgement” are real benchmarks for anyone wanting to delve more into this tragic event.

RFK Jnr has been brutally honest in recent months about CIA involvement in his uncles assassination, and he has also been recommending another new book in the assassination which I haven’t yet read.

What I find really, really depressing is the total lack of awareness of this utter tragedy. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, this world would be such a better place, had JFK lived.

I used to listen to a song back in the 80s whose lyrics went

"If I was the CIA, I would kill anyone who got in my way"

D'ya think I can find it anywhere on the internet machine now?  Not a chance.

:conspiracy:

When people died at the City of Edinburgh Poorhouse (aka Craiglockhart Poorhouse) the address "144 Comiston Road" was frequently used on their death certificate.   Similarly it was used frequently on birth certificates.

This address was actually the East Lodge which was at the east end of the poorhouse's long driveway where it joined up with Comiston Road. The driveway was, and can still be seen, in the woodland parallel to Greenbank Drive. Long after the driveway became disused it still had a gate (which was always padlocked shut) in Comiston Road right beside the old lodge house.

The Lodge address was used on birth/death certificates to remove the "stigma" of being born or dying at the Poorhouse.

The lodge house was demolished in the 1980s and replaced by a block of retirement flats.  You can still see the old stone gate posts.

I don't know if that is stranger than fiction, but it is interesting nonetheless.

140 Comiston Road LOdge.JPG

140 Comiston Road.JPG

^^^^ Jaysus, @Sydney after reading your story the photo of the modern building with the original stone gate posts looks a bit spooky.  :eek: 

ri Alban

If the CIA were all that, why is Trump still alive.

Anyway 

Carl Fredrickson

Cecil Chubb went to an action in 1903 to buy dining furniture that his wife liked. Instead of the dining furniture, he bought the Stonehenge monument for £6,600. 

In 1918 he gifted the site to the nation.

This is what I was told and I am happy to be corrected. Also, if anyone has a record of his wife's response when he told her, please let me know.  

Japan Jambo
On 01/01/2024 at 18:13, FWJ said:

You could have caught a London Underground train to watch a public execution at Newgate 

The incredible fact being they weren't on strike?

John Findlay
11 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes I read Best Evidence over Forty Years ago. Overall a very good book, though I have to admit I did get a bit lost when he went into great detail with regard to the medical evidence.

hughesie27
9 hours ago, Sydney said:

When people died at the City of Edinburgh Poorhouse (aka Craiglockhart Poorhouse) the address "144 Comiston Road" was frequently used on their death certificate.   Similarly it was used frequently on birth certificates.

This address was actually the East Lodge which was at the east end of the poorhouse's long driveway where it joined up with Comiston Road. The driveway was, and can still be seen, in the woodland parallel to Greenbank Drive. Long after the driveway became disused it still had a gate (which was always padlocked shut) in Comiston Road right beside the old lodge house.

The Lodge address was used on birth/death certificates to remove the "stigma" of being born or dying at the Poorhouse.

The lodge house was demolished in the 1980s and replaced by a block of retirement flats.  You can still see the old stone gate posts.

I don't know if that is stranger than fiction, but it is interesting nonetheless.

140 Comiston Road LOdge.JPG

140 Comiston Road.JPG

Certainly more interesting that the JFK chat 😁

superjack
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cecil Chubb went to an action in 1903 to buy dining furniture that his wife liked. Instead of the dining furniture, he bought the Stonehenge monument for £6,600. 

In 1918 he gifted the site to the nation.

This is what I was told and I am happy to be corrected. Also, if anyone has a record of his wife's response when he told her, please let me know.  

When he bought stonehenge it would have looked quite different to how it looks now. After 1918, it was rebuilt as most of the stones were lying flat. As a result, most of stonehenge standing stones are seated in concrete amd it was only rebuilt how they think it was meamt to look.

45 minutes ago, superjack said:

When he bought stonehenge it would have looked quite different to how it looks now. After 1918, it was rebuilt as most of the stones were lying flat. As a result, most of stonehenge standing stones are seated in concrete amd it was only rebuilt how they think it was meamt to look.

I only found that out a few weeks ago. The before and after photos are very different. 

Lone Striker

Abraham Lincoln's coffin was moved 17 times to different locations - and in 5 of those, the coffin was opened to check that the correct body was still inside !!     In some cases it was due to poorly chosen  mausoleum sites.  Another reason was that several (failed or foiled) attempts had been made to steal his coffin by criminal gangs as a ransom, either to  obtain big money for its release or official pardons for criminal associates in prison. 

This is a great thread, btw. Second only to the Edinburgh History one.  :rock2:

That thing you do

Pancho Villa, famous as one of the key people in Mexicos war of independence most hated adversary was a northern Mexico Scottish Landowner from Edinburgh.

Said landowner not only refused to allow the division del norte batallion villa was in to seek shelter but he was hated for levying taxes on his land for locals to live there. Crofting and private land ownership not being a concept mexicans had heard of.

After the war was won Villa had him buried up to his neck  in the desert, run over by horses, then shot and buried.

In the book "The life and times of Pancho Villa" he described the Scottish landowner "the vilest scum to walk the face of the earth".

9780804765176_300_450.webp

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Abraham Lincoln's coffin was moved 17 times to different locations - and in 5 of those, the coffin was opened to check that the correct body was still inside !!     In some cases it was due to poorly chosen  mausoleum sites.  Another reason was that several (failed or foiled) attempts had been made to steal his coffin by criminal gangs as a ransom, either to  obtain big money for its release or official pardons for criminal associates in prison. 

This is a great thread, btw. Second only to the Edinburgh History one.  :rock2:

It really is . 

Sadly the patent expired and ofcourse greedy pharma got they hands on it 

IMG_6884.jpeg