WTF! Stranger than fiction facts.

Tazio

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

In 1935, fishermen caught a tiger shark and put it on display in an aquarium in Sydney. 

Shortly after, the shark fell ill, vomiting in front of a small crowd. Among the contents was a left hand and forearm bearing a distinctive tattoo. Fingerprints confirmed the limb belonged to James "Jim" Smith, a former boxer and petty criminal who had been missing since April 7, 1935.

Upon examination, it was discovered that the limb had been deliberately severed with a knife, leading to a murder investigation.

Initial investigations pointed towards a Sydney businessman named Reginald William Lloyd Holmes. Holmes, known for his fraudulent activities and smuggling, also managed a prosperous family boat-building business.

Holmes had hired Smith multiple times for insurance scams.They later joined forces in criminal endeavors with Patrick Francis Brady, an ex-serviceman and convicted forger.

Smith was last spotted at the Cecil Hotel in the southern Sydney suburb of Cronulla on April 7, 1935, enjoying drinks and cards with Patrick Francis Brady. Prior to this, he had informed his wife that he was going fishing.

During that period, Brady had rented a small cottage on Taloombi Street, Cronulla. Police suspected that Smith met his unfortunate fate at this very cottage, alleging it to be the location of his murder.

Port Hacking and Gunnamatta Bay were searched by the Navy and the Air Force, but the rest of Smith's body was never found.

Brady was arrested on 16 May and charged with the murder of Smith.

Initially, Holmes denied any association with Brady but four days later, on 20 May 1935, the businessman went into his boatshed and attempted suicide by shooting himself in the head with a .32 calibre pistol. 

However, the bullet instead flattened against the bone of his forehead and he was merely stunned. 

Holmes eventually cooperated with the police stating that Brady had killed Smith, dismembered his body and stowed it into a trunk that he had then thrown into Gunnamatta Bay.

IMG_0806.jpeg

Not convinced about the fingerprint part, I’d imagine they’re be a mess after being dumped in the sea and spending time inside a shark. The tattoo would be a better indicator of identity. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I continue to regard this as a WTF thing. John Cazale was only in 5 films, quite good ones I’d say. 

IMG_0811.jpeg

superjack
6 hours ago, Tazio said:

I continue to regard this as a WTF thing. John Cazale was only in 5 films, quite good ones I’d say. 

IMG_0811.jpeg

I actually came on to post the same thing after seeing it on Facebook.

William H. Bonney
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

IMG_0811.jpeg

And all nominated for best picture. 

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

IMG_0811.jpeg

23 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

And all nominated for best picture. 

Further to that Cazale appeared in archive footage in godfather part 3 which was also nominated for best picture oscar.

henrysmithsgloves

CP-30 had two different coloured legs, most folk remember otherwise... including me😆

54 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

CP-30 had two different coloured legs, most folk remember otherwise... including me😆

Until 'The Force Awakens', when they made his right leg gold like the other one. 

1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

C-3PO :ninja:

henrysmithsgloves
Just now, milky_26 said:

any facts about RD-22?

Runs on AAA batteries 🧐😆

The famous American blues guitarist, B.B. king - the B.B. stands for 'Blues Boy'   However.....

His real name is Riley B.King, and the B in that stands for absolutely nothing. It's only an initial. 

il Duce McTarkin
On 24/01/2024 at 13:33, jim747 said:

Swears a lot.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

What would happen if someone kicked a football at 90% of the speed of light?

I couldn't say precisely. However, it's probably not all that different to what would happen if someone threw a baseball at 90% of the speed of light.

And someone has helpfully made a video to explain what would happen if someone were to pitch a baseball at that speed.