WTF! Stranger than fiction facts.

Tazio

John Gentleman
On 03/01/2024 at 21:09, superjack said:

When he bought stonehenge it would have looked quite different to how it looks now. After 1918, it was rebuilt as most of the stones were lying flat. As a result, most of stonehenge standing stones are seated in concrete amd it was only rebuilt how they think it was meamt to look.

Have the 'Scottish' stones' (Callanish, Stenness) been propped up to?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, jamboj said:

France's longest land border is with Brazil

And France’s only land border with the Netherlands is on an island in the Caribbean.

superjack
8 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Have the 'Scottish' stones' (Callanish, Stenness) been propped up to?

No, they're still in their natural position. 

It's possible to sail from the UK to New Zealand in a straight line without ever touching land......

1 hour ago, Daktari said:

It's possible to sail from the UK to New Zealand in a straight line without ever touching land......

You can get from Lisbon to Pyongyang in North Korea and only change train 3 times. Lisbon to Hendaye in France, Hendaye to Paris, Paris to Moscow, Moscow to Pyongyang. 

Males in the UK are 22 times more likely to be circumcised than males in Ireland.  :eek: 

According to a paper written in 2016, 0.93% of the Irish male population was circumcised, compared with 20.7% of the UK male population.

Estimation of country-specific and global prevalence of male circumcision | Population Health Metrics | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)

5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Males in the UK are 22 times more likely to be circumcised than males in Ireland.  :eek: 

According to a paper written in 2016, 0.93% of the Irish male population was circumcised, compared with 20.7% of the UK male population.

Estimation of country-specific and global prevalence of male circumcision | Population Health Metrics | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)

Another custom Israel and most of their neighbours share. 

12 hours ago, Tazio said:

You can get from Lisbon to Pyongyang in North Korea and only change train 3 times. Lisbon to Hendaye in France, Hendaye to Paris, Paris to Moscow, Moscow to Pyongyang. 

For anyone interested in doing this, the Paris-Moscow train was suspended during Covid and the suspension has remained since the Russia-Ukraine war took off again. Interestingly, the train gets jacked up in Brest, Belarus, so that the wheelsets can be changed from European standard track gauge to Russian gauge.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/paris-to-moscow-express.htm

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

For anyone interested in doing this, the Paris-Moscow train was suspended during Covid and the suspension has remained since the Russia-Ukraine war took off again. Interestingly, the train gets jacked up in Brest, Belarus, so that the wheelsets can be changed from European standard track gauge to Russian gauge.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/paris-to-moscow-express.htm

i remember when travelling from Warsaw to Kiev on a train for a Scotland game (Robbie's only cap) they stopped us on the border and we went for a pint in the station while they jacked up the carriages and changed the wheels, asked the guard why they were a different gauge and he told me it was to prevent invasion. 

8 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

i remember when travelling from Warsaw to Kiev on a train for a Scotland game (Robbie's only cap) they stopped us on the border and we went for a pint in the station while they jacked up the carriages and changed the wheels, asked the guard why they were a different gauge and he told me it was to prevent invasion. 

He was spot on it seems.

The Russian track gauge, 1,524 mm, was determined by Russian Emperor Nikolay I, deliberately chosen differently from the European railway track gauge of 1,435 mm, which was established by that time, because "[...] if any enemy from Europe shall fight against us, he will not travel on our railway...".

https://1520.ru/about/track/?language=en

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_ft_and_1520_mm_gauge_railways

Edited by redjambo

highlandjambo3
19 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Most dogs communicate with each other with morse code 

The Dachshund being the most prolific……I heard 😁

John Findlay
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Don't give up the day job

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Surely Dalmatians are the most proficient in morse😀

22 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Had a thought, is it more than. A coincidence that the majority circumcision countries originally were sandy ones? That stuff gets everywhere. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Had a thought, is it more than. A coincidence that the majority circumcision countries originally were sandy ones? That stuff gets everywhere. 

Ow.

JudyJudyJudy
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Another interesting fact regarding circumcising , you have 40% less chance  of catching hiv ( if you have u safe sex like ) if you are cut . 

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Another interesting fact regarding circumcising , you have 40% less chance  of catching hiv ( if you have u safe sex like ) if you are cut . 

Meant “ don’t “ ! 

30 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

And more pertinent to he majority of the population countries where it is the norm have much lower incidences of cervical cancer. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And more pertinent to he majority of the population countries where it is the norm have much lower incidences of cervical cancer. 

Interesting 

17 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Surely Dalmatians are the most proficient in morse😀

:spoton:

On 14/01/2024 at 20:58, rudi must stay said:

Most dogs communicate with each other with morse code 

Speaking of Morse code, the theme tune of the old sit com 'Some Mothers do 'ave 'em' (Google it kids...) was based on the morse code for the letters of the title of the show. 

In 1999 sky diver Joan Murray survived falling 14,500ft in North Carolina after both parachutes malfunctioned. She landed directly on a mound of fire ants with doctors believing that the 200+ stings by the ants caused an adrenaline spike that kept her heart beating and saved her life.

John Gentleman
On 16/01/2024 at 19:05, JudyJudyJudy said:

That leaves 60%. A dice not worth rolling, I'd have thought.

John Gentleman
On 16/01/2024 at 19:37, Tazio said:

Link?

16 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Link?

Just google (other search engines are available) it and there are quite a few reports out there. Obviously as it’s an ongoing research there are varying views from different circumstances such as number of sexual partners in men and differing rates of the presence of HPV. 
https://srh.bmj.com/content/familyplanning/35/1/5.full.pdf

been here before

Mickey1874 posts more links on this board than every other member of every other message board in the world combined.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

The life of a rifle barrel is about 6 seconds.

I read than and went "erm, what??" then I thought about it and it makes sense.

superjack
2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I read than and went "erm, what??" then I thought about it and it makes sense.

Lost me on this 1.

Just now, superjack said:

Lost me on this 1.

A bullet will be in the barrel for an incredibly short time, and a lot of shots fired to add up to 6 seconds. 

Dawnrazor

Depending on various things, barrel length, care and cleaning, caliber, cartridge, how hot the round is loaded, but, 6 seconds will take maybe 3000 shots.

il Duce McTarkin
9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Depending on various things, barrel length, care and cleaning, caliber, cartridge, how hot the round is loaded, but, 6 seconds will take maybe 3000 shots.

Actually no, that would probably be a spell in the pokey 

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

the posh bit

King Henry VIII had at least 4 Grooms of the Stool, whose role in life was to wipe his fat manky arse. He knighted 3 of them. 

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

King Henry VIII had at least 4 Grooms of the Stool, whose role in life was to wipe his fat manky arse. He knighted 3 of them. 

Is 'knighted' rhyming slang?

29 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Henry VIII only had 4, or possibly 3 wives, depending on which branch of Christianity you follow. It was never 6.

54 minutes ago, JWL said:

Henry VIII only had 4, or possibly 3 wives, depending on which branch of Christianity you follow. It was never 6.

It was indeed 6. 3 were annulled though. So, legally you are correct, but in practical terms he married 6 women and had them as wifes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wives_of_Henry_VIII

4 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Excellent, that means my car is only several weeks old, rather than 4 years then. I like this warped way of counting lifespan.

Dawnrazor
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Excellent, that means my car is only several weeks old, rather than 4 years then. I like this warped way of counting lifespan.

Yep, get it sold now!

periodictabledancer
On 12/01/2024 at 06:01, Samuel Camazzola said:

As well as being the most westerly US State, Alaska is also the most eastern. 

And northern. 

3 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Actually no, that would probably be a spell in the pokey 

Took me a few minutes to get that one.  :laugh: :whistling: 

5 hours ago, the posh bit said:

Arise Sir Shitesalot

3 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

And northern. 

And closest to Japan.