What has happened since the last 7 games of 22/23?

AC Mallin_51

12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Smith was absolutely pish last season.   I agree with everything else

He was clearly coming to his end of time, and never been replaced to a greater standard 😩

I'm not going to over romanticise the last seven games of last season. It is the over romanticising of what happened at that time that has led to Steven Naismith becoming Hearts manager.

If you really scrutinise what happened in that time period it wasn't that impressive. We won two games out of seven. We were dreadful away to Hibs(I'd give Naismith a SLIGHT pass for that as he had only been in the job a few days). We thrashed a poor Ross County team who had a teenage laddie in their team who had an absolute nightmare that day. We beat Aberdeen, fair enough. We were pish away to St Mirren and got bailed out by a 96th minute penalty that frankly I'm not even convinced was a penalty. We drew at Ibrox in Allan McGregor's testimonial when Rangers looked half arsed about even being there. We hung on like grim death to get a draw at home to Hibs in the last game of the season.

And this is what some people in the boardroom and in the stands were getting excited about and wanted to see more of?

Sorry. Not for me. He should never have been given the job.

Edited by No Idle Talk

On 10/12/2023 at 11:17, Shaggy2 said:

Looking back it’s crazy to think that we were almost all on board (on JKB, as Andrew McKinlay is quick to point out 😂) based on the style of play. Some had reservations based on only 2 wins from those 7 games, but as you rightly say the games were against the top sides and Ross County. 
We almost all had faith that style of play would yield positive results in the long run. At this moment in time results are samey samey and style of play has gone to shit. Two home wins v Aberdeen (an Aberdeen that are as bad at Tynecastle as we are up there) is all we’ve managed against last season’s top six sides. Counting the first Hibs game, fairly or not (exclude it if you want) that’s two wins in 12 (or 11) games under the current management that’s very much looking like it could be 2 in 15 (or 14) before the month is out. 
I desperately wanted Naismith to succeed and I’ve defended him vociferously on numerous occasions in the past 8 months. Sadly it’s just not happening. 
Saturday is a write off for me so it has to be a convincing win v a struggling St Mirren, at worst a scoring draw at ER and convincing wins v Ross County and the Livi gang. 
I demanded 9/9 v Motherwell, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock so maybe they read my posts and comply! 😂

The pace and movement of Gino gave us the out ball over the top. He has been a massive miss.

19 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

He was clearly coming to his end of time, and never been replaced to a greater standard 😩

He wasn’t replaced at all. 

Fozzyonthefence
12 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

I'm not going to over romanticise the last seven games of last season. It is the over romanticising of what happened at that time that has led to Steven Naismith becoming Hearts manager.

If you really scrutinise what happened in that time period it wasn't that impressive. We won two games out of seven. We were dreadful away to Hibs(I'd give Naismith a SLIGHT pass for that as he had only been in the job a few days). We thrashed a poor Ross County team who had a teenage laddie in their team who had an absolute nightmare that day. We beat Aberdeen, fair enough. We were pish away to St Mirren and got bailed out by a 96th minute penalty that frankly I'm not even convinced was a penalty. We drew at Ibrox in Allan McGregor's testimonial when Rangers looked half arsed about even being there. We hung on like grim death to get a draw at home to Hibs in the last game of the season.

And this is what some people in the boardroom and in the stands were getting excited about and wanted to see more of?

Remind us how many red cards we got again?  You don’t think that was a factor in some of the results? 

6 of the 7 games against the top 6 and only 2 defeats despite 3 red cards wasn’t bad at all. As you suggested, a bit unfair to blame SN for the shite performance at ER.  Then our best performance of the season against Ross County - suits the haters to write off the opposition but they had the best defensive record outside the OF.  We scored 6 and it should have been double that.  

Home performance v Aberdeen was also excellent and we had over 30 shots at goal in a very one sided game (a better performance than the 5-0 v the sheep for many I recall).

Home game v Celtic, excellent again until a very harsh red card just before half time then the inevitable. 

Rangers away, good start at Ibrox for a change then hanging on 2nd half and a lucky point but a point at Ibrox with an injury time equaliser never to be sniffed at as we can’t buy a result against that lot. 

St Mirren away, absolute pish but the 10 men battled away to get an unlikely point despite another joke red card which was later rescinded. 

And Hibs at home.  Another red card, a very early one this time and played the majority of the game with 10 men.  Another battling point to keep Hibs below us and enter Europe a round later. 

Overall summary - lots of promise from the home games but still a lot of work required on away form. 

That I would say is a much fairer reflection of what happened than your summary and is obviously the way the board viewed it too.  But some on here just decided that they were never going to support a rookie manager. 

The problem is that Naismith got the job and then did what young inexperienced managers do - allow an experienced coach who has always coached teams at the relegation end of table be foisted upon him as his assistant. Suddenly we end up trying to protect 1-0 leads, and being happy with draws...

Edited by Spellczech

46 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Remind us how many red cards we got again?  You don’t think that was a factor in some of the results? 

6 of the 7 games against the top 6 and only 2 defeats despite 3 red cards wasn’t bad at all. As you suggested, a bit unfair to blame SN for the shite performance at ER.  Then our best performance of the season against Ross County - suits the haters to write off the opposition but they had the best defensive record outside the OF.  We scored 6 and it should have been double that.  

Home performance v Aberdeen was also excellent and we had over 30 shots at goal in a very one sided game (a better performance than the 5-0 v the sheep for many I recall).

Home game v Celtic, excellent again until a very harsh red card just before half time then the inevitable. 

Rangers away, good start at Ibrox for a change then hanging on 2nd half and a lucky point but a point at Ibrox with an injury time equaliser never to be sniffed at as we can’t buy a result against that lot. 

St Mirren away, absolute pish but the 10 men battled away to get an unlikely point despite another joke red card which was later rescinded. 

And Hibs at home.  Another red card, a very early one this time and played the majority of the game with 10 men.  Another battling point to keep Hibs below us and enter Europe a round later. 

Overall summary - lots of promise from the home games but still a lot of work required on away form. 

That I would say is a much fairer reflection of what happened than your summary and is obviously the way the board viewed it too.  But some on here just decided that they were never going to support a rookie manager. 

Lots of promise from the home games.ha ha ha fizzy you need to stay out the boozer if that's your take on the performances.

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

Lots of promise from the home games.ha ha ha fizzy you need to stay out the boozer if that's your take on the performances.

I was talking about the end of last season not this season.   If you want to argue the home games against Ross County and Aberdeen weren’t two of the best performances of the season then I’d respectfully point out you need to take your blinkers off. And if you’re not happy with 8 goals and 60 odd shots at goal in 2 games (against the 3rd best team and the team with the best defensive record outside the OF) then maybe you should start watching something else rather than Hearts on a Saturday afternoon because it ain’t going to get better than that (as we’ve unfortunately seen this season). 

2 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

This.

28 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I was talking about the end of last season not this season.   If you want to argue the home games against Ross County and Aberdeen weren’t two of the best performances of the season then I’d respectfully point out you need to take your blinkers off. And if you’re not happy with 8 goals and 60 odd shots at goal in 2 games (against the 3rd best team and the team with the best defensive record outside the OF) then maybe you should start watching something else rather than Hearts on a Saturday afternoon because it ain’t going to get better than that (as we’ve unfortunately seen this season). 

Fizzy the 2 games you mentioned were carefully selected.what other games could we write home about?you'd be struggling.the hearts home form now consists mainly of scraping wins mainly.teams don't fear us anymore home or away.because they have now sussed us and know exactly how to play us.

2 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

:spoton:

Fozzyonthefence
14 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

Fizzy the 2 games you mentioned were carefully selected.what other games could we write home about?you'd be struggling.the hearts home form now consists mainly of scraping wins mainly.teams don't fear us anymore home or away.because they have now sussed us and know exactly how to play us.

Not carefully selected at all, my post was about all 7 games of Naismith’s interim spell which was in response to a completely negative post about the same 7 games which failed to acknowledge that 2 of our best performances came within those 7 games and there were also mitigating circumstances (3 red cards in the other 5 games).  It was a sample size of 7 games (only 4 were at home) because that was all he got.  Surely you’d admit we were also excellent against Celtic in the first half too until Cochrane’s red? There were positive signs, that’s why the vast majority on here were happy when Naismith got the job permanently.  There’s been a hell of a lot of backtracking and revisionism since then though and I foot pretty amusing. 

You’re now talking about this season and the home form has been shite.  The point being is if it had carried on like the Ross County and Aberdeen games then nobody would be complaining but it hasn’t, hence the thread title.  Actually I take that back, there would still be the usual torn faced gits moaning about only scoring 6 from 30 shots or only winning because the opposition was pish or some other negative shite to suit their agenda 

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not carefully selected at all, my post was about all 7 games of Naismith’s interim spell which was in response to a completely negative post about the same 7 games which failed to acknowledge that 2 of our best performances came within those 7 games and there were also mitigating circumstances (3 red cards in the other 5 games).  It was a sample size of 7 games (only 4 were at home) because that was all he got.  Surely you’d admit we were also excellent against Celtic in the first half too until Cochrane’s red? There were positive signs, that’s why the vast majority on here were happy when Naismith got the job permanently.  There’s been a hell of a lot of backtracking and revisionism since then though and I foot pretty amusing. 

You’re now talking about this season and the home form has been shite.  The point being is if it had carried on like the Ross County and Aberdeen games then nobody would be complaining but it hasn’t, hence the thread title.  Actually I take that back, there would still be the usual torn faced gits moaning about only scoring 6 from 30 shots or only winning because the opposition was pish or some other negative shite to suit their agenda 

Fozzy. Like the previous poster stated the 2 positive performances merely papered over the cracks.this season there is no sign of the way hearts set themselves up in the two games you mention.do we just sit and mark time until they decide to come up with one again.so you can quote 35 shots against st mirren or motherwell to suit your stats.the sad reality is hearts are underperforming badly and have been for a good while.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

Fozzy. Like the previous poster stated the 2 positive performances merely papered over the cracks.this season there is no sign of the way hearts set themselves up in the two games you mention.do we just sit and mark time until they decide to come up with one again.so you can quote 35 shots against st mirren or motherwell to suit your stats.the sad reality is hearts are underperforming badly and have been for a good while.

No, I’d say the 4 wins on the bounce recently are papering over the cracks this season.  They weren’t good performances and we were never going to carry on winning playing like that.  Doesn’t make any sense though saying two really good performances last season are papering over the cracks this season.  More like a false dawn. 

Anyway I’m not disagreeing with you about this season, I was disagreeing with another poster’s summary of the last 7 games last season.   Unlike many on here though I’ll continue to give the manager credit for good performances and results and call him out when we’re shite.  It’s ok to do both. 

Have thought this question many times myself. Apologies if another poster has already answered with similar but for me it can only be that at the time he had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Set the team up very offensively and simply go for it. High energy and high pressing. It worked and he got the job, now he has a job to lose and has became weary of that.

Strip it back Naisy and go back to what got the fans excited at the end of last season, press high and force the opposition into mistakes. 

The only explanation IMO.

23 minutes ago, Gordon_1874 said:

Have thought this question many times myself. Apologies if another poster has already answered with similar but for me it can only be that at the time he had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Set the team up very offensively and simply go for it. High energy and high pressing. It worked and he got the job, now he has a job to lose and has became weary of that.

Strip it back Naisy and go back to what got the fans excited at the end of last season, press high and force the opposition into mistakes. 

You’ve got it spot on. There is too much short-term pressure on him. Next game “must win” from the pitchfork brigade then moan that he was too cautious.  

As to the GPG last season, remove the County game and we were barely over a goal per game, much like this season.

Knock Ginnelly out with no scoring replacement and that about does it.

Beyond that, though, I think last season we had players who were well coached and well drilled under the previous management but were fed up with Robbie's "stay the course" demeanor and Elbows abdicating all coaching responsibility entirely, from what it sounds like, along with Snoddy yelling at them all the time. When Naismith took over, launched Snodgrass, put Atkinson back in frame, and shook things up a bit, we still had the same largely well-coached bunch but they were having fun again.

Whatever the **** we did over the summer in training clearly didn't work, though, because the plan was to install a 4-4-2 with inverted fullbacks and we were sussed out in 15 minutes of game time in that formation and could never find a way forward. Instead they've reverted to the same system Robbie had them well drilled in, which has improved results, but since it's not the current coaches' system so they're struggling to figure out how to create attack out of it.

Summer training was McAvoy's remit and apparently it was a disaster. Recruitment was Naismith's remit and apparently it was a disaster. Our goalie coach seems to have done an okay job though.

25 minutes ago, Sid said:

You’ve got it spot on. There is too much short-term pressure on him. Next game “must win” from the pitchfork brigade then moan that he was too cautious.  

“Pitchfork brigade”….wind yer neck in,people pay their hard earned money to watch that shite week in week out.

pettigrewsstylist
5 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Ginnelly helped paper over a lot of problems.

Charlatan, easily replaced, ten a penny,,,,,,oh wait.....

pettigrewsstylist
56 minutes ago, Gordon_1874 said:

Nae RB, problem numero uno.

9 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

“Pitchfork brigade”….wind yer neck in,people pay their hard earned money to watch that shite week in week out.

Not saying football is pretty or acceptable. The point I was making is very specific. The pitchfork brigade do not allow a manager enough time to lose one game before they are out with their pitchforks.  So what is a manager going to do?  Try to build an attacking structure or try not to lose. Lock in any advantage (and park the bus)? Because if they get it wrong that day, they could be out by Monday.  
An example above of some tube saying he must win the next two or he’s out. Celtic away!!! 
I was supporting a very valid point on why his team looks worse than when he was on probation.  
Sharpen your pitchfork for Saturday night if it’s anything less than three points (cos Killie beat them -on their plastic pitch). 

4 minutes ago, Sid said:

Not saying football is pretty or acceptable. The point I was making is very specific. The pitchfork brigade do not allow a manager enough time to lose one game before they are out with their pitchforks.  So what is a manager going to do?  Try to build an attacking structure or try not to lose. Lock in any advantage (and park the bus)? Because if they get it wrong that day, they could be out by Monday.  
An example above of some tube saying he must win the next two or he’s out. Celtic away!!! 
I was supporting a very valid point on why his team looks worse than when he was on probation.  
Sharpen your pitchfork for Saturday night if it’s anything less than three points (cos Killie beat them -on their plastic pitch). 

Two or three questions:

1.Has Naismith improved any player in the team/squad?

2.Have any of our new signings (apart from Kent) improved our team?

3.what is our playing style?

52 minutes ago, Sid said:

As agent said "wind in your neck" define pitchfork brigade? I am very worried the way my team are heading on the park and voice my concerns on here and out with this forum .and will continue to do so .It's what you would term "concerned fan" and not the s$%# that you come out with.

25 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

IMG_3653.thumb.jpeg.19efe0780a904049fe45838a36cc98b6.jpeg

:facepalm:
edit: not aimed at you Agentjambo, what happened to fielding your best performing players?

Edited by jamboozy

6 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

:facepalm:
edit: not aimed at you Agentjambo, what happened to fielding your best performing players?

That’s my point for posting,you can have a great game then be dropped the next…the players can’t be happy with that,no incentive for anyone to play well.

Just now, Agentjambo said:

That’s my point for posting,you can have a great game then be dropped the next…the players can’t be happy with that,no incentive for anyone to play well.

Exactly, what happens if you, as an individual player, have a great game although the team looses? Then, discovering you’re not in contention for the next game? You would be thinking, what’s the point?

1 minute ago, jamboozy said:

Exactly, what happens if you, as an individual player, have a great game although the team looses? Then, discovering you’re not in contention for the next game? You would be thinking, what’s the point?

Exactly.

It has been a very long time since the club signed a player, made him better then sold him on.

Apart from Shanks, we seem to knock any skill, motivation, pace, confidence and talent out of the lot of them.

Can't help feeling our coaching, fitness  and training needs a major overhaul.

19 minutes ago, Australis said:

It has been a very long time since the club signed a player, made him better then sold him on.

Apart from Shanks, we seem to knock any skill, motivation, pace, confidence and talent out of the lot of them.

It's not been that long surely

22 minutes ago, Australis said:

Can't remember the last player I would have been upset about losing.

Instead of playing to try and get the job, attacking teams putting pressure on and trying to win, he's now reverted to playing to not get beat. Simple as that. 

21 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I’m 100% convinced that once Neilson was sacked Naismith was always getting the job no one else was considered.

6 hours ago, Australis said:

True. Hearts should be a great club for ambitious players to get plenty of game time at a decent level before moving on to bigger things (like Hickey). Most players who leave us are consigned to the lower leagues in England or Scotland. The exceptions like Souttar, Paterson and Ginnelly generally leave on a free so we get little or no financial benefit.

Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee Utd (going back a bit further) have all made significant gains from transfers.

It doesn't say much for our youth system or our transfer policy.

21 hours ago, Kev1998 said:

As agent said "wind in your neck" define pitchfork brigade? I am very worried the way my team are heading on the park and voice my concerns on here and out with this forum .and will continue to do so .It's what you would term "concerned fan" and not the s$%# that you come out with.

Pitchfork brigade are people who call for the sacking of an employee after too short a time.  

22 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Two or three questions:

1.Has Naismith improved any player in the team/squad?

2.Have any of our new signings (apart from Kent) improved our team?

3.what is our playing style?

1.  Kent and Rowles. 
2.  What’s this got to do with getting your pitchfork out for the manager. He’s hardly had much influence in our signing policy. 
3.  Too slow. 

Questions show you don’t understand the point being made. 

He has also just said himself he is a tinkerer.So it's not even the defence of not knowing his best team yet he just likes to chop and change.He said it doesn't even matter if you have played great the previous game you can still be out the next.

**** me what happend to the incentive to do well.

2 minutes ago, Sid said:

1.  Kent and Rowles. 
2.  What’s this got to do with getting your pitchfork out for the manager. He’s hardly had much influence in our signing policy. 
3.  Too slow. 

Questions show you don’t understand the point being made. 

I think Kent was already good

6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I think Kent was already good

I think he was ok. I think he, and central defence got better. Shipping less goals, particularly crosses. However, ball over top have not got right, yet.  

On 10/12/2023 at 10:57, AC Mallin_51 said:

When Naismith was appointed one thing I was really optimistic about was seeing some quality attacking football. He served his trade as an attacking player unlike Levein and Neilson who were defenders, so I thought that may have shown some what in how his teams set up.

Rewind to Naismith’s stint as interim manager, the last 7 games of last season. We scored 13 goals in 7 games. The only 2 we didn’t score were his first game which was against Hibs away where he’d only been in the door a couple days and the other was against Celtic where we actually looked really threatening until a harsh red card.

We average a goal per game ratio in those 7 games, which were mostly against top half sides , of 1.86. We looked like to be playing some good attacking football and were creating a lot of chances. After 16 league games this season we have scored 15 goals so that’s an average of 0.93 goals per game. So nearly half. What on earth has happened? 

Ginnelly scored 4 of those 13 goals and we haven’t replaced him properly so that could obviously be a key factor. But why has the team got so bad in the final 3rd. We literally just don’t look like creating anything in the final 3rd at times, it’s so so negative. I just don’t understand why tbe change in philosophy from those 7 games last season. It really is mind boggling

People have a rose-tinted retrospective on Ginelly. Yes he was good in the last 6-8months of his contract but apart from that he only gave us some long injury layoffs and a couple of cup cameos which seem to have provided him with "cult legend status"... From wiki (so unsure if correct) he seems to have continued this pattern at Swansea with a goal on his debut being his only one, and a mere 6 appearances against his name?

Having said this we have failed to replace him - It appears that Tagawa was meant to be the man, but that hasn't happened yet.

Another point is the "injuries" excuse. We've been hearing this every season for about 5 years now...Clearly the squad players are failing to step up.

Youth? We don't seem to have much still....We were told it would be a 5 year wait in 2014, and 2019 was 5 years ago...yet we are still waiting! So why was the Head of Academy given First Team Coach responsibilities when he hadn't yet fulfilled his remit????

I have come to the conclusion that a certain grumpy and slightly misogynistic poster is correct, and things are too cosy and complacent at the top end of the club. Perhaps there are too many distractions with trying to be a community club, and the people in charge are forgetting that we are first and foremost a football club?

We_are_the_Hearts
4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

People have a rose-tinted retrospective on Ginelly. Yes he was good in the last 6-8months of his contract but apart from that he only gave us some long injury layoffs and a couple of cup cameos which seem to have provided him with "cult legend status"... From wiki (so unsure if correct) he seems to have continued this pattern at Swansea with a goal on his debut being his only one, and a mere 6 appearances against his name?

Having said this we have failed to replace him - It appears that Tagawa was meant to be the man, but that hasn't happened yet.

Another point is the "injuries" excuse. We've been hearing this every season for about 5 years now...Clearly the squad players are failing to step up.

Youth? We don't seem to have much still....We were told it would be a 5 year wait in 2014, and 2019 was 5 years ago...yet we are still waiting! So why was the Head of Academy given First Team Coach responsibilities when he hadn't yet fulfilled his remit????

I have come to the conclusion that a certain grumpy and slightly misogynistic poster is correct, and things are too cosy and complacent at the top end of the club. Perhaps there are too many distractions with trying to be a community club, and the people in charge are forgetting that we are first and foremost a football club?

In a nutshell and can include the players in that

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

A football club?   since when!!