What has happened since the last 7 games of 22/23?

AC Mallin_51

When Naismith was appointed one thing I was really optimistic about was seeing some quality attacking football. He served his trade as an attacking player unlike Levein and Neilson who were defenders, so I thought that may have shown some what in how his teams set up.

Rewind to Naismith’s stint as interim manager, the last 7 games of last season. We scored 13 goals in 7 games. The only 2 we didn’t score were his first game which was against Hibs away where he’d only been in the door a couple days and the other was against Celtic where we actually looked really threatening until a harsh red card.

We average a goal per game ratio in those 7 games, which were mostly against top half sides , of 1.86. We looked like to be playing some good attacking football and were creating a lot of chances. After 16 league games this season we have scored 15 goals so that’s an average of 0.93 goals per game. So nearly half. What on earth has happened? 

Ginnelly scored 4 of those 13 goals and we haven’t replaced him properly so that could obviously be a key factor. But why has the team got so bad in the final 3rd. We literally just don’t look like creating anything in the final 3rd at times, it’s so so negative. I just don’t understand why tbe change in philosophy from those 7 games last season. It really is mind boggling

Edited by AC Mallin_51

Looking back it’s crazy to think that we were almost all on board (on JKB, as Andrew McKinlay is quick to point out 😂) based on the style of play. Some had reservations based on only 2 wins from those 7 games, but as you rightly say the games were against the top sides and Ross County. 
We almost all had faith that style of play would yield positive results in the long run. At this moment in time results are samey samey and style of play has gone to shit. Two home wins v Aberdeen (an Aberdeen that are as bad at Tynecastle as we are up there) is all we’ve managed against last season’s top six sides. Counting the first Hibs game, fairly or not (exclude it if you want) that’s two wins in 12 (or 11) games under the current management that’s very much looking like it could be 2 in 15 (or 14) before the month is out. 
I desperately wanted Naismith to succeed and I’ve defended him vociferously on numerous occasions in the past 8 months. Sadly it’s just not happening. 
Saturday is a write off for me so it has to be a convincing win v a struggling St Mirren, at worst a scoring draw at ER and convincing wins v Ross County and the Livi gang. 
I demanded 9/9 v Motherwell, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock so maybe they read my posts and comply! 😂

Changes personal too much for me, he just proves every week that he doesn’t know who to pick imo. He's clearly got a few favourites when in actual fact he should have 11. 

All quite ironic when the only man at the club the supporters will listen to is preaching on about sticking with the same manager over time. 

Dennis Reynolds

We weren't as good as people made out. Folk were just happy we seemed a bit better than a side who had just lost six out of seven games scoring five goals. 

We then won two out of seven scoring thirteen (with six coming in one game) and folk thought we had suddenly become amazing.

He got the job. 

I'm not sure I rate the coaching team doing very very little in big games and grinding out games against very poor opposition. Entirely reliant on Shankland to the extend where you can safely say stop Shankland & you stop hearts. 

Its absolutely woeful and largely comes down to the decision to appoint such an inexperienced manager supported with a makeshift coaching team. We cheaped out to the enth degree and are paying for it and will continue to pay for it. 

Bazzas right boot

Bob was doing a good job with what is generally a average bunch of footballers with a few standouts ( folk with sense knew this).

He'd done this over 4/5 seasons over 2 spells and had us where we should be, not perfect but in a good place.

Many on here inflated the quality of the squad to aid their next level and under performing narrative.

Poor form and reported unrest gave many fans the platform to champion their cause and many had grand ideas of a high level of manager coming in and elevating the squad to competing with the of and playing with flair- it was never going to happen, too many of our fans had lost all reality in their quest to get rid of Bob.

The board taken a side in the unrest and with results being shite Bob was the casualty.

Naismith was appointed,  with the blessing of the majority of fans and we played great v Ross county.

His cv did not indicate he was going to be a better manager than our previous one,  that didn't matter tho.

Savage has " backed" Naismith with poor signings like he did with Bob the season before, key areas have not been addressed with leavers and injured players not replaced adequately.

Scottish football is turgid, what folk want or imagine us to be doesn't exist.

A swashbuckling, next level Hearts team challenging the OF is a fantasy, the reality is that most games are battles, Scottish football is industrial and the best We'll do is 3rd, but we won't get that every season. 

The problem is that for some, this reality cannot be faced and when we are in about 3rd/4th and getting to finals many aren't happy, demand sackings to get us to the next level and when that doesn't materlise they then repeat the cycle but from a lower base.

We need to back our manager, not demand change at every bump in the Road and accept the reality, however shite of our position in Scottish and global football. We can then maybe build something over time.

At board level, Recruitment needs addressed by Savage/ board as it hasn't been good enough,  it cost Bob his job and it has not helped Naismith this season.

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Bob was doing a good job with what is generally a average bunch of footballers with a few standouts ( folk with sense knew this).

He'd done this over 4/5 seasons over 2 spells and had us where we should be, not perfect but in a good place.

Many on here inflated the quality of the squad to aid their next level and under performing narrative.

Poor form and reported unrest gave many fans the platform to champion their cause and many had grand ideas of a high level of manager coming in and elevating the squad to competing with the of and playing with flair- it was never going to happen, too many of our fans had lost all reality in their quest to get rid of Bob.

The board taken a side in the unrest and with results being shite Bob was the casualty.

Naismith was appointed,  with the blessing of the majority of fans and we played great v Ross county.

His cv did not indicate he was going to be a better manager than our previous one,  that didn't matter tho.

Savage has " backed" Naismith with poor signings like he did with Bob the season before, key areas have not been addressed with leavers and injured players not replaced adequately.

A swashbuckling, next level Hearts team challenging the OF is a fantasy, the reality is that most games are battles, Scottish football is industrial and the best We'll do is 3rd, but we won't get that every season. 

The problem is that for some, this reality cannot be faced and when we are in about 3rd/4th and getting to finals many aren't happy, demand sackings to get us to the next level and when that doesn't materlise they then repeat the cycle but from a lower base.

We need to back our manager, not demand change at every bump in the Road and accept the reality, however shite of our position in Scottish and global football. We can then maybe build something over time.

At board level, Recruitment needs addressed by Savage/ board as it hasn't been good enough,  it cost Bob his job and it has not helped Naismith this season.

So, to summarise, people on here are dreamers and we should welcome Bob back.😁Sorry, couldn’t resist, and I do get the point you’re making.

Edited by jamboozy

Thunder and Lightning
5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yey, another chance for you to talk about your favourite subject. 

Maybe you forgot 'bob' was getting his arse handed to him in the latter stages of his tenure and managed to throw away third. 

Fozzyonthefence
50 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Had to laugh at the time at the folk trying to highlight the positives under Naismith. 

We skelped a Highland League team, and did well against Aberdeen and grabbed a welcome point at Ibrox in a dead rubber. 

We also took 1/6 v Hibs. 

A Highland League club that plays in the Premiership and had the best defensive record outside the OF.  It was our best performance in years.  

The performance against Aberdeen was excellent too and we had over 60 shots at goal in those games.  Only lost 2 of those 7 games, played much better football than we are now and without 3 red cards would have picked up more points. 

What has changed?

Personal opinion. Neilson did a good job getting 3rd and did a commendable job in Europe and in the league when we were absolutely crippled by injury. I didn't really have any serious issues with what he did other than our away form and the football wasn't always pleasant to watch. If you're getting 3rd every year though and we're going into Europe and we're making money for progression I can live with that to an extent. Not to mention we got to multiple cup finals. Some good Hampden memories in there.

In the end. He lost the dressing room. Results went the wrong way. He had to go. 

That was the right decision. Neilson had to go.

Naismith was appointed and he has not been an improvement. The team has not improved. The football is worse to watch that it was with Neilson and Levein because at least with them, even when it was shit you could at least see what they were trying to do. This is eye bleeding and aimless.

If you take Naismith at his best and Neilson at his best. Naismith is a huge downgrade on Neilson and therein lies the problem.

We haven't shown ambition to progress and as a result we are now in regression.

Players are not buying into Naismiths tactics and have very little respect for him.

Constantly changing the team, because most weeks we are slow boring, predictable crap is not helping either.

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

So, to summarise, people on here are dreamers and we should welcome Bob back.😁Sorry, couldn’t resist, and I do get the point you’re making.

That was my summary.....😭

Nah, but as a club if we are sacking managers we should have a plan in place to get better, a bit like the players.

The list of managers that some had to replace Bob was fanciful at best, the reality was guys like McInnes,  Robinson or a young,  up and coming coach like Naismith ( like we gambled on Bob first time)

Fans can just demand sackings,  shout that player is shite, get rid of this player etc as they can just scream and shout, they don't need think of reality and what next - the board should be far more calm, less emotional and more strategic.

Sacking Bob and replacing him with Naismith was a punt, nothing suggested Naismith would be a better manager than Bob, nothing.

It's a punt that may work out still and I'm not for sacking Naismith.

Bouncing about managers will not improve us, there is no mystery manager that will cure all our ills, or for that matter Scottish footballs ills.

Recruitment concerns me as well, however the narrative by many last season was that we had a great squad and Bob was holding us back, with that being impossible now the same folk are bouncing about looking for other folk to blame and sack. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nah, but as a club if we are sacking managers we should have a plan in place to get better, a bit like the players.

The list of managers that some had to replace Bob was fanciful at best, the reality was guys like McInnes,  Robinson or a young,  up and coming coach like Naismith ( like we gambled on Bob first time)

Fans can just demand sackings,  shout that player is shite, get rid of this player etc as they can just scream and shout, they don't need think of reality and what next - the board should be far more calm, less emotional and more strategic.

Sacking Bob and replacing him with Naismith was a punt, nothing suggested Naismith would be a better manager than Bob, nothing.

It's a punt that may work out still and I'm not for sacking Naismith.

Bouncing about managers will not improve us, there is no mystery manager that will cute all our ills, or for that matter Scottish footballs ills.

Recruitment concerns me as well, however the narrative by many last season was that we had a great squad and Bob was holding us back, with that being impossible now the same folk are bouncing about looking for other folk to blame and sack. 

I agree calling for everyone to be sacked every time results don’t go our way is not the way forward, but, if the board want their ‘ punt’ to succeed then they need to get serious and back him, not by putting pals and pals of pals into jobs that they are not good enough for, no, back him by getting the right people to help him.

For what it’s worth I thought Robbie 1st time around was exciting and forward looking, but the Robbie with the wrong people at his side influencing him was , in my opinion, the undoing of him.

I want Naismith to succeed, but feel he has the wrong people assisting him.

Probably a bit of the fear factor which is fair enough for him personally tbh. If he goes gung ho and is sacked sitting in the bottom half, his next job will be in a division below.

It's not what we want to see and not what we signed up for. I'm sure he and McKinlay know that though, despite him saying it's what we wanted.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

I agree calling for everyone to be sacked every time results don’t go our way is not the way forward, but, if the board want their ‘ punt’ to succeed then they need to get serious and back him, not by putting pals and pals of pals into jobs that they are not good enough for, no, back him by getting the right people to help him.

For what it’s worth I thought Robbie 1st time around was exciting and forward looking, but the Robbie with the wrong people at his side influencing him was , in my opinion, the undoing of him.

Questions on Savage for me.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Questions on Savage for me.

Agree, he needs to have a clear plan about what he wants to do at the AGM, no BS just be sincere about our direction and aims going forward. If his pals are not up to the job? Then, that’s on him. I’m sure he has enough of a survival instinct to start doing things right. 

Shooter McGavin

If someone told you we’ve sacked Naismith, and we’re actively looking at potential replacements from the lowland league, you’d think they’re mental.

Why we thought a manager from 4 leagues below us, who only won 2 in 7, would be an upgrade on Neilson I’ll never know.

Truly baffling.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, jamboozy said:

Agree, he needs to have a clear plan about what he wants to do at the AGM, no BS just be sincere about our direction and aims going forward. If his pals are not up to the job? Then, that’s on him. I’m sure he has enough of a survival instinct to start doing things right. 

No sound bites about challenging the OF either just to appease the simple thinking amongst us.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fair and reasoned post, I expect you to get pelters for it though.

Edit: having read the rest of the thread, happy to acknowledge I was wrong about the pelters 

Edited by cazzyy

7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

No sound bites about challenging the OF either just to appease the simple thinking amongst us.

Well said.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

When Naismith was appointed one thing I was really optimistic about was seeing some quality attacking football. He served his trade as an attacking player unlike Levein and Neilson who were defenders, so I thought that may have shown some what in how his teams set up.

Rewind to Naismith’s stint as interim manager, the last 7 games of last season. We scored 13 goals in 7 games. The only 2 we didn’t score were his first game which was against Hibs away where he’d only been in the door a couple days and the other was against Celtic where we actually looked really threatening until a harsh red card.

We average a goal per game ratio in those 7 games, which were mostly against top half sides , of 1.86. We looked like to be playing some good attacking football and were creating a lot of chances. After 16 league games this season we have scored 15 goals so that’s an average of 0.93 goals per game. So nearly half. What on earth has happened? 

Ginnelly scored 4 of those 13 goals and we haven’t replaced him properly so that could obviously be a key factor. But why has the team got so bad in the final 3rd. We literally just don’t look like creating anything in the final 3rd at times, it’s so so negative. I just don’t understand why tbe change in philosophy from those 7 games last season. It really is mind boggling

I would remove Ross County goals from that, and then remove Ginelly stats and replace with Vargas stats.

Should make sense then probably.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

He has changed his philosophy of getting the ball forward quickly and men supporting the attack, fullbacks not being inverted now.
Tagawa and Vargas were signed to play the role Ginnelly did, he’s playing Boyce instead with an equally slow Lowry/Grant behind and two DMs that cant see a forward pass or get a goal. The move to 5 at the back is defensive and just means all the wrong players see too much of the ball. 
As for Bobs best buddy, nobody expects us to challenge the uglies but we expect them to try, and give them a bloody nose now and then. 

28 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I would remove Ross County goals from that, and then remove Ginelly stats and replace with Vargas stats.

Should make sense then probably.

Thing is though I think the Ross County game is probably the best example. I couldn’t see us putting 3 past anyone at the moment never mind 6! I’m sure we had around 30 attempts at goal that day aswell, I think the 2-1 win over Aberdeen was similar

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Thing is though I think the Ross County game is probably the best example. I couldn’t see us putting 3 past anyone at the moment never mind 6! I’m sure we had around 30 attempts at goal that day aswell, I think the 2-1 win over Aberdeen was similar

Are those 6 goals not massivley skewing the figures youre using to gauge performance in last 7 games?

Ginnelly has been a massive loss for us.

His pace and movement was brilliant for our team.

We could play in behind and he would pose a threat most of the time.

No one in our current team can hold a candle to him unfortunately. 

Doesn't help our midfield are really struggling to move the ball forward quickly and that Shankland has to drop deep all the time.

I didn’t think Naismith was the right man for the job, I thought he should have been assistant manager at best to an experienced manager but who would that be? It has to come down to money and who we can afford. That would mean people like McInnes or Robinson and neither of them were popular choices with the fans. So now we are stuck with Naismith for the foreseeable unless it really goes tits up. Maybe he wouldn’t be under so much pressure if we were playing the attacking football he promised instead of the absolute crap we are seeing now. Problem is he doesn’t have the players to do it anyway as our recruitment of so called attacking players has been woeful, not one has been anywhere near good enough. One thing for sure is we need to keep Shankland or we really will be screwed.

20 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Are those 6 goals not massivley skewing the figures youre using to gauge performance in last 7 games?

Yeah of course you take the 6 goals out that then it doesn’t look as great but itd actually still be better if you took ALL 6 out. You could argue you shouldn’t count the first hibs game as Naismith was just in the job. We put 2 past St mirren, Rangers and Aberdeen. The Celtic game we didn’t score but I certainly fancied us to until Cochrane went off. What I’m saying is there’s absolutely no danger we’d put 6 past anyone now. We hardly ever put 2 past anyone and we did that 3/7 games 

pettigrewsstylist
1 minute ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Yeah of course you take the 6 goals out that then it doesn’t look as great but itd actually still be better if you took ALL 6 out. You could argue you shouldn’t count the first hibs game as Naismith was just in the job. We put 2 past St mirren, Rangers and Aberdeen. The Celtic game we didn’t score but I certainly fancied us to until Cochrane went off. What I’m saying is there’s absolutely no danger we’d put 6 past anyone now. We hardly ever put 2 past anyone and we did that 3/7 games 

Rangers season was over. Take Ginnelly goals out and replace with Vargas avg. Wont be that different from this season then.

3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Had to laugh at the time at the folk trying to highlight the positives under Naismith. 

We skelped a Highland League team, and did well against Aberdeen and grabbed a welcome point at Ibrox in a dead rubber. 

We also took 1/6 v Hibs. 

The football was better than we had been subjected to  we have now reverted back to our default tactics

3 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

If someone told you we’ve sacked Naismith, and we’re actively looking at potential replacements from the lowland league, you’d think they’re mental.

Why we thought a manager from 4 leagues below us, who only won 2 in 7, would be an upgrade on Neilson I’ll never know.

Truly baffling.

For any sakes stop talking sense! 😂😂😂 You are correct though how in any bussiness environment a board of a company with an annual turnover of around £20 million and come to the conclusion that some with no experience whatsoever of the post they are being required to fill is "The right man" for the job defies any rational at all... we are trusting our club to this lot.

11 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

For any sakes stop talking sense! 😂😂😂 You are correct though how in any bussiness environment a board of a company with an annual turnover of around £20 million and come to the conclusion that some with no experience whatsoever of the post they are being required to fill is "The right man" for the job defies any rational at all... we are trusting our club to this lot.

Crazy when you think of it like that. From a business perspective it just wouldn't happen. 

Football has too much sentiment at times. Even if he had us playing alright in his interim spell it still should have been a proper recruitment process.

We pretty much just conceded that he was the best we could get and was already in the door so an easy appointment. 

They can say "it's what the fans wanted" all they want but if they listened to the fans every week we would have a new manager in every Sunday evening. They can't pick and choose when to run that narrative.

6 hours ago, Bauld said:

Personal opinion. Neilson did a good job getting 3rd and did a commendable job in Europe and in the league when we were absolutely crippled by injury. I didn't really have any serious issues with what he did other than our away form and the football wasn't always pleasant to watch. If you're getting 3rd every year though and we're going into Europe and we're making money for progression I can live with that to an extent. Not to mention we got to multiple cup finals. Some good Hampden memories in there.

In the end. He lost the dressing room. Results went the wrong way. He had to go. 

That was the right decision. Neilson had to go.

Naismith was appointed and he has not been an improvement. The team has not improved. The football is worse to watch that it was with Neilson and Levein because at least with them, even when it was shit you could at least see what they were trying to do. This is eye bleeding and aimless.

If you take Naismith at his best and Neilson at his best. Naismith is a huge downgrade on Neilson and therein lies the problem.

We haven't shown ambition to progress and as a result we are now in regression.

hard to disagree with any of that

gordon simpson
6 hours ago, jamboozy said:

the rockets who want everyone sacked are the main problem with our club 

Although I am not one for calling for Naismith's head (yet).  I do agree with the OP sentiments.  I was excited with the way we played in those last few home games last season and thought this was the approach to get everyone behind the appointment of Naismith.  Our style of play this season has been disappointing.  We need to quicken the play, I think it's that simple.  Get the ball forward quicker and don't be scared to make mistakes.  It's all a bit too careful.  

29 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Although I am not one for calling for Naismith's head (yet).  I do agree with the OP sentiments.  I was excited with the way we played in those last few home games last season and thought this was the approach to get everyone behind the appointment of Naismith.  Our style of play this season has been disappointing.  We need to quicken the play, I think it's that simple.  Get the ball forward quicker and don't be scared to make mistakes.  It's all a bit too careful.  

potential argument that Naismith has focused on shoring up the defence as a priority? - before saturday we'd hardly conceded.

Once that's sorted / stable foundations, then focus on midfield etc?

think the club were also hoping Beni would be starting to come back to his old self. He's sadly still looking average - hope to god he finds his old form.

Gorgie Garcon

Outside of Frankie Kent, the recruitment has been absolutely pathetic.

We look soft, weak, tactically inept every week. Not to mention that the speed at which we play is horiffic. That falls on both the coaching staff (collectively) and also the recruitment has been a disgrace. There seems to be no fight in us at all anymore. We have also accepted mediocrity higher up. 

I wanted Naisy to do well and still do, but it's another experiment that just isn't working. Every manager that has come in under Budge plays it safe, as per their remit. She has also put too much faith in people who are not interested in a successful football club. Supporters, despite all of us pledging, get soaked at Pittodrie whilst the board sit around the table discussing what towels to pick for the hotel.

The coaching staff collectively I wouldn't get excited about if I was playing 

Watched highlights of Brighton the other week they had at one point in an attack 7 men in the box , they are great to watch . Hearts are too negative in there play and it’s obvious it’s being coached into them. We need a clear out of the coaches and get a  new sporting director in with a decent track record of attacking football. Appoint a decent head scout and bulk up some of these players we currently have that are brushed aside in a one on one duel. But maybe this is all too obvious. 

We're missing Ginnelly's pace. Had he been with us this season, we'd probably still have the slow build up play from the back but we'd be stretching opposition defence more as they try to cover him.

The lack of lineup continuity is a problem too. Naismith says he picks the team based upon the opposition. Players aren't getting a proper run to form relationships and seemingly dropped the next game despite having a good game before.

13 minutes ago, Gorgie Garcon said:

Outside of Frankie Kent, the recruitment has been absolutely pathetic.

We look soft, weak, tactically inept every week. Not to mention that the speed at which we play is horiffic. That falls on both the coaching staff (collectively) and also the recruitment has been a disgrace. There seems to be no fight in us at all anymore. We have also accepted mediocrity higher up. 

I wanted Naisy to do well and still do, but it's another experiment that just isn't working. Every manager that has come in under Budge plays it safe, as per their remit. She has also put too much faith in people who are not interested in a successful football club. Supporters, despite all of us pledging, get soaked at Pittodrie whilst the board sit around the table discussing what towels to pick for the hotel.

The coaching staff collectively I wouldn't get excited about if I was playing 

Soft, weak,and tactically inept.add in unfit and heartless to that and you've summed us up.i get criticism  on here for stating that I want to see hearts playing good football.where others would say 1-0 win suffices.to what ends though.were never going to win any leagueplaying the turgid stuff we play.so why not go back to basics?get the wingers hitting the line.coach big Frankie to play forward out of defence,get a whole new midfield.one s that will battle for the jersey(and can pick a forward pass)if we are beaten I'd rather go down fighting.season is dead already and that ain't acceptable.

The formation doesn’t suit our attacking players. Last season when Naisy took over we played a 4-2-3-1 occasionally morphing into a 4-4-2 - Oda & McKay getting behind them in the wide areas & cutting in, Gino running off Shankland behind their CBs. We had pace, drive and width playing like this. 

5atb suits our CBs which is all good but the wingbacks struggle. We have very little pace up top without any wingers with Vargas, Forrest & Oda often shoved in out of position either as a striker or a wingback to accommodate. Neither of Boyce & Shankland have great pace nor do Grant or Lowry playing in behind so our ability to counter is severely limited.

The 5atb was fine as a means to an end with Oda, Tagawa, Vargas, McKay all having injuries leaving us short on pace/wingers, no real fit RB, Sibbick needing dropped after some howlers but Forrest fit to use as the RWB for emergency cover, Rowles struggling but nobody to replace him with so at least an extra body in there gives more protection etc. Now that we have guys back I hope we consign it to history again & get back to a formation that allows our Wingers to hit on the counter - either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3

24 minutes ago, kila said:

We're missing Ginnelly's pace. Had he been with us this season, we'd probably still have the slow build up play from the back but we'd be stretching opposition defence more as they try to cover him.

The lack of lineup continuity is a problem too. Naismith says he picks the team based upon the opposition. Players aren't getting a proper run to form relationships and seemingly dropped the next game despite having a good game before.

Missing his pace and Smith's ability to defend, cover and also get down the wing.

We knew Gino and Smith were leaving well in advance, yet we bring in Vargas to replace Gino, utterly rubbish, he's lumped a shot from 30 yards that hit the bar and done nothing at all in any game.

I think the main problem is that the players don't appear to be fit enough both physically and mentally for the modern game. Ok from time to time things might not gel, everyone can have off days but there's no excuse for not having a high fitness level - a level that we believe is higher than that of the opposition. For a team with Hearts' ambition it's absolutely crucial. We may not have the finances to attract players with better ability than we already have but surely the professionals at the club can work harder to be quicker and sharper.

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Missing his pace and Smith's ability to defend, cover and also get down the wing.

We knew Gino and Smith were leaving well in advance, yet we bring in Vargas to replace Gino, utterly rubbish, he's lumped a shot from 30 yards that hit the bar and done nothing at all in any game.

Smith was absolutely pish last season.   I agree with everything else