Advice on buying a car for my son

Craigieboy

I had a 1.0 punto for my first car and a 1.6 focus for my second and there was only a few quids diffrence in price. Check stuff like the 308, DS3, Astra etc it might work out cheaper.

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Then, if you want him to have a car, get one that you insure for yourself as main driver with him added. 

I definitely would not suggest doing this, because it's insurance fraud, specifically insurance fraud called Fronting.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/what-is-car-insurance-fronting/#:~:text=Fronting in car insurance is,result in a cheaper premium

The insurance policy will be invalidated if you are caught, which they will look into very quickly after any sort of accident - especially if it's some 1.0 litre shitbox whilst the "main driver" also has a much nicer car.  Your son is then going to have to lie to them to keep up the main driver charade, which will be harder to explain if they don't live at home, and have to answer questions about what the car was doing in a different town or city, for example.  As soon as they find out that's happened, you are both ****ed. 

Since the policy is invalidated, your son would probably end up with points on their licence, which as a new driver will disqualify them from driving, and the resultant fine. 

You will both likely also end up in court as your ex-insurance provider recover costs against you, and you both might end up getting prosecuted for insurance fraud. 

It's absolutely not worth it.  If your son has a careless accident, which let's face it, is entirely possible, you could end up ****ing him for life, taking away his driving licence, giving him a criminal record, wrecking his credit score, and meaning he'll never get a cheap insurance policy ever again in the future. 

By all means, they can put the parent as a named driver. Just absolutely do not do it the other way around. 

It's shite that insurance is so expensive, but don't ***** around with it to try and cheat the system.  It will work perfectly, right up until it doesn't. 

P.S - I know it's not your son, it was just easier to write it like that :lol:

8 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's the 1.0 or 1.1 I'll be looking for, I've see a couple and they're just seem a lot of car for the money.

Yes they are. Come with good level of kit for not alot of money 

Just now, Class of 75 said:

Yes they are. Come with good level of kit for not alot of money 

The wife's is the same, there's a couple of wee niggles but for the money, impressive.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

The wife's is the same, there's a couple of wee niggles but for the money, impressive.

Yep totally. They are not perfect but both of mine have been reliable and have been up and down the country.

Edited by Class of 75

On 06/12/2023 at 15:19, Dawnrazor said:

Fiestas are now the most stolen cars in the UK due to Ford stopping making them, getting stolen for parts.

I'm looking at a Dacia Sandero 1.1, seem to get a lot of car for less money than a similar model by a different maker, my wife got a Duster last year and she loves it.

There's no excuse for how badly these cars do in safety tests. I'd let my mother-in-law drive a Dacia but there's no way I'd let my kids in one. Be safer in a go kart.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/dacia/sandero/reliability#:~:text=With a stronger chassis and,by industry experts Euro NCAP.

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, tian447 said:

I definitely would not suggest doing this, because it's insurance fraud, specifically insurance fraud called Fronting.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/what-is-car-insurance-fronting/#:~:text=Fronting in car insurance is,result in a cheaper premium

The insurance policy will be invalidated if you are caught, which they will look into very quickly after any sort of accident - especially if it's some 1.0 litre shitbox whilst the "main driver" also has a much nicer car.  Your son is then going to have to lie to them to keep up the main driver charade, which will be harder to explain if they don't live at home, and have to answer questions about what the car was doing in a different town or city, for example.  As soon as they find out that's happened, you are both ****ed. 

Since the policy is invalidated, your son would probably end up with points on their licence, which as a new driver will disqualify them from driving, and the resultant fine. 

You will both likely also end up in court as your ex-insurance provider recover costs against you, and you both might end up getting prosecuted for insurance fraud. 

It's absolutely not worth it.  If your son has a careless accident, which let's face it, is entirely possible, you could end up ****ing him for life, taking away his driving licence, giving him a criminal record, wrecking his credit score, and meaning he'll never get a cheap insurance policy ever again in the future. 

By all means, they can put the parent as a named driver. Just absolutely do not do it the other way around. 

It's shite that insurance is so expensive, but don't ***** around with it to try and cheat the system.  It will work perfectly, right up until it doesn't. 

P.S - I know it's not your son, it was just easier to write it like that :lol:

This is very welcome insight.

What I was suggesting wasn't quite the fraud you describe but I can see why you'd read it thar way. My plan is to have Junior named on what will be my car when I get it. I won't have a second, better car and, love him though I do, I'm not buying him a car for his own use. 

It's still bloody complex to find a car that will be decent enough to fit the bill of being decent enough for me, whilst being insurable for him as a genuine named driver. There's not much of a difference in premiums over a wide range of cars for me but, when he's added to the quote, it could mean adding anything between £1,500 and £4,000.

Is that plot about building up a No Claims Bonus on a moped legit? The guy who gave me the tip is lovely but might be dodgy in some regards.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

This is very welcome insight.

What I was suggesting wasn't quite the fraud you describe but I can see why you'd read it thar way. My plan is to have Junior named on what will be my car when I get it. I won't have a second, better car and, love him though I do, I'm not buying him a car for his own use. 

It's still bloody complex to find a car that will be decent enough to fit the bill of being decent enough for me, whilst being insurable for him as a genuine named driver. There's not much of a difference in premiums over a wide range of cars for me but, when he's added to the quote, it could mean adding anything between £1,500 and £4,000.

Is that plot about building up a No Claims Bonus on a moped legit? The guy who gave me the tip is lovely but might be dodgy in some regards.

Definitely wasn't suggesting that you'd be Del Boy'ing the system like that, and reading my comment back, it does sound rather sanctimonious which wasn't my intention :lol:

It's just one of these things that no doubt countless people do, either purposefully or unintentionally, but it really has the potential to **** you and the other drivers day, week, and many years up.  And it would be just your luck that you end up the one that gets caught doing it! 

If you're named as the main driver on a policy, you need to make sure without any room for doubt in the slightest that you drive the car the majority of the time.  Insurance companies are *******s, and if they sniff the slightest trace of potential blood in your circumstances, they will get their bit and more. 

Named drivers are a good way to get someone on the road for cheaper, usually to both drivers benefit, but unfortunately the insurance bar stewards seem to be catching on.  Having a named driver on my policy this year, for the first time in 6 years, increased my overall price quite significantly so the missus is stuck in her own car for the time being :lol:

The moped thing would be a way of building a no claims bonus, but generally the NCD is non-transferable between vehicle categories unless you can get them to agree to it. It likely means you'll have no claims bonuses for motorbikes, but unlikely that your provider will accept it being used for a car policy.  Not sure if this is something that has changed in recent years or not.  I've never actually had to prove to insurers when I've been taking out new policies that I have proof of no claims, assuming it's mostly automated these days. 

No claims is a joke anyway. I'm up to 8 years no claims now, and the price just keeps going up and up every year. They have us bent over a barrel and there is no way of fighting back. 

The lads that look after my car suggested to me a few years ago that a Citroën c1 was a good first car for my son (who still hasn't done anything about learning to drive. Too busy lying in bed after getting home at 4 in the morning 🙄)

My parents added me as a named driver to a car they owned. Some insurance companies (Admiral) allow named drivers to build NCD of their own. I did the same when wife passed her test as an adult then within a couple of years switched it as she was bizarrely cheaper. Now it has switched again and her car is more expensive to insure even though a lot cheaper than mine, as it is more easily nicked...Whole system is a bit weird.

Although the above is technically illegal, I was in a no fault crash whilst a student in Edinburgh whilst the car was registered in Glasgow (although the crash occurred in Cheshire). Claim was not a problem, indeed the police and insurance were very complimentary of my written account of the details!

Edited by Spellczech

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

My parents added me as a named driver to a car they owned. Some insurance companies (Admiral) allow named drivers to build NCD of their own. I did the same when wife passed her test as an adult then within a couple of years switched it as she was bizarrely cheaper. Now it has switched again and her car is more expensive to insure even though a lot cheaper than mine, as it is more easily nicked...Whole system is a bit weird.

Yeah there are a huge number of factors that go into how much a specific car cost to insure, access to parts (which for the likes of a fiesta will start pushing insurance up now that they aren't being made anymore), how easy/difficult the car is to repair (bumper design plays a big part in this) how easy it can be stolen, 

Should also say that this thread makes me sad, my car is in group 43 ffs

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Yeah there are a huge number of factors that go into how much a specific car cost to insure, access to parts (which for the likes of a fiesta will start pushing insurance up now that they aren't being made anymore), how easy/difficult the car is to repair (bumper design plays a big part in this) how easy it can be stolen, 

Should also say that this thread makes me sad, my car is in group 43 ffs

I never knew such a thing existed. 

Are you in a modded Panzer? 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Jump onto Autotrader, their search filters let you search by insurance group

Also scroll down on this page on Moneysupermarket and it gives a list of cars by insurance group https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/groups/

That site's all over the place. 

I put in Mrs Knightley's car to the search and it was put in group 15 but when I looked at the group by group listing, there it was in group 2. 

Just now, I P Knightley said:

I put in Mrs Knightley's car to the search and it was put in group 15 but when I looked at the group by group listing, there it was in group 2. 

I was once looking at my insurance renewal quote so started tweaking things on comparison site to try to work out what was driving the increase - Out of the blue my own insurer contacted me asking me to prove a couple of things. When I called them it turned out that they all swap details and my playing around with quote data on a comparison site had raised flags against me with my own insurer...I observed that this seemed a bit dodgy and nefarious data protection-wise, but their view was that I should not do what I had done...

On 06/12/2023 at 14:37, Craigieboy said:

I don’t know where to start these days. My son is wanting a car. Budget maybe around 5-6k. He’s only 19 so it needs to be something modest in terms of insurance. A corsa or suchlike. 

Is it best to go through a dealership or private?

Dealerships are better for any problems with the car, maybe a 3 month warranty with car where as

private would be more difficult to solve any problems.

Private is cheaper for sure , make sure you have a good road test to listen for any problems,

also do a  check for outstanding finance and crash reports, 

Whatever you do. If the car isn’t gonna be used for long distance regular steer clear of diesels cause the DPF will likely block up. I’m sure it’s any 09 onwards DPF’s are fitted. If pre 09 then this advice won’t be needed 

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I never knew such a thing existed. 

Are you in a modded Panzer? 

close, a 2011 Range Rover Sport

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

May well be down to year or model variant?

Also actually the more I think about it having a 1-50 scale for insurance groups is just nonsense, 1-10 or something I get but is there honestly going to be any price difference between groups 15 & 16? 

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, Ribble said:

close, a 2011 Range Rover Sport

OK, I get that. I took a lift with a pal in a 59 plate Sport years ago. He's a security guy, driving a very high profile and not universally loved individual around. I asked why he favoured the Sport over the bigger Rangie and his response was, "it's got a double chassis, so if I need to ram someone in a getaway, there's a better chance of getting clear of the danger."

I'm sure that answers like that haven't helped your premium.

And if you were thinking of trading up to a newer model big Rangie, too bad. He was in a 14 plate one a couple of years later.

1 minute ago, Craigieboy said:

So it would seem that insurance is coming in at over 2k. 

Un-****ing-believable. 

FFS!!

I had this conversation with my son last week, he's at sixth form college until 2025 then he's got two years at uni', he'll be about twenty one before he can afford to run a car even if I buy him one 😞

3 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

Un-****ing-believable. 

For what car??

Un-****ing-believable. 

🤣🤣

It's funny seeing younger Dads pain.

🤣🤣🤣

Got the youngest a Suzuki Alto about 5 years ago when she was 17, took a lot of convincing because she wanted a racing Car. But after doing the numbers and showing her how much proper Cars really cost she accepted the Suzuki. It was about 3 bags of sand with only 30k on the clock, she's still cruising around in it today with zero issues from purchase. Bought from a reputable dealer with a years warranty.  

Un-****ing-believable. 

You can reduce that mate by fixing a guvnor .

Not great for the wee man's ego but hey.

2 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Got the youngest a Suzuki Alto about 5 years ago when she was 17, took a lot of convincing because she wanted a racing Car. But after doing the numbers and showing her how much proper Cars really cost she accepted the Suzuki. It was about 3 bags of sand with only 30k on the clock, she's still cruising around in it today with zero issues from purchase. Bought from a reputable dealer with a years warranty.  

Insurance costs ?

Just insure the car in your name and get your son to eat pies grow a moustache and greet like fek about insurance and traffic jams and he'll pass as you.

😁

28 minutes ago, Ked said:

Insurance costs ?

Think she paid about a grand for the 1st year if she put one of those tracker things on it. It was 5 years ago obviously and insurance costs alter like the wind. 

Doubt there's anything under a grand for under 21s these days. 

Think she paid about a grand for the 1st year if she put one of those tracker things on it. It was 5 years ago obviously and insurance costs alter like the wind. 

Doubt there's anything under a grand for under 21s these days. 

Under 2 mate .

Even a tracker I think doesn't go much below.

It's an accepted rip off.

My wee boy the youngest and finest of the thieving robbing gits that are my brood is already talking about his first car.

I wished I'd been born gay .

The fun I'd have had without having bairns....

8 minutes ago, Ked said:

Under 2 mate .

Even a tracker I think doesn't go much below.

It's an accepted rip off.

My wee boy the youngest and finest of the thieving robbing gits that are my brood is already talking about his first car.

I wished I'd been born gay .

The fun I'd have had without having bairns....

The area the Car is "parked" in can make a substantial difference if memory serves. So if you've got a "relative" somewhere out in the sticks that's quiet it might be worth doing a search with the different address on the comparison sites 😉

The area the Car is "parked" in can make a substantial difference if memory serves. So if you've got a "relative" somewhere out in the sticks that's quiet it might be worth doing a search with the different address on the comparison sites 😉

About 50 pence mate a year...😄

Best things what you did buddy.

The tracker thing.

Got a hibs mate whose hibs laddie travelled with the sign about a tracker .

His laddie was so hibs.

Tough on the outside and a wee shitebag .

I loved walking by him and going vrrrrroooom vroom vroom vroom 

His father used to pull me quietly .

Gonnae stop.thar.

Vrroooooom .

Ye hud tae very there

27 minutes ago, Ked said:

About 50 pence mate a year...😄

Best things what you did buddy.

The tracker thing.

Got a hibs mate whose hibs laddie travelled with the sign about a tracker .

His laddie was so hibs.

Tough on the outside and a wee shitebag .

I loved walking by him and going vrrrrroooom vroom vroom vroom 

His father used to pull me quietly .

Gonnae stop.thar.

Vrroooooom .

Ye hud tae very there

😆😆😆😆😆😆 excellent.

I'm pretty clueless on these things nowadays, got absolutely no idea what my vehicles cost to insure now, got a secretary for all that stuff 😆😆

Shouldn't laugh right enough. Quite scary how little I do financially these days  🤔

So my boy passed his test yesterday with only one fault. Pwoud. 

He’s buying a 2015 Corsa and the insurance is 2k. Absolutely ****ing brutal. 

10 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

So my boy passed his test yesterday with only one fault. Pwoud. 

He’s buying a 2015 Corsa and the insurance is 2k. Absolutely ****ing brutal. 

Well done to your son👏👏