Advice on buying a car for my son

Craigieboy

I don’t know where to start these days. My son is wanting a car. Budget maybe around 5-6k. He’s only 19 so it needs to be something modest in terms of insurance. A corsa or suchlike. 

Is it best to go through a dealership or private?

Edited by Craigieboy

henrysmithsgloves

Better off with a banger that's cheap on insurance,till he gains experience and a decent NCD. I went down that route with my kids,my son no problems. My daughter however is another story 🤬🤬

13 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Insurance will be extortionate. :(

Yip. First year or so will be painful. I’ve agreed to pay it too. 

:levein2:

7 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Better off with a banger that's cheap on insurance,till he gains experience and a decent NCD. I went down that route with my kids,my son no problems. My daughter however is another story 🤬🤬

Insurance wont be much difference in a banged up Corsa than a new one.

Something small Corsa, Punto, Mini first years insurance you just need to take on the chin but saying that mines went up 40% this year anyway. PCP from Arnold Clark could get you something for a 100-140 a month with a small deposit. Just select something 5 years old to make sure its eligible.

16 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

I don’t know where to start these days. My son is wanting a car. Budget maybe around 5-6k. He’s only 19 so it needs to be something modest in terms of insurance. A corsa or suchlike. 

If I was doing this here, I'd start private, but see what I could find.

A lot of the dealers selling at that price range would be selling cars that were traded in to other dealers and passed on to them on auction or trade sales.  Nothing wrong with that, but not quite the same as buying something a couple of years old from a dealer who took it directly from a customer on trade in.

With a private sale you've no warranty or comeback, but you should be able to leverage a better price.  So it's all about your own ability to spot potential trouble in a car, and then you're trying to find something with a reliable history and so on.  On the other hand, I'm not sure how much comeback you have if you're buying a car at £5-6K from a dealer.

That's all based on the market in Ireland.  Scotland may be different, though.

A few Volkswagen Ups for sale in Edinburgh/Glasgow on the lowest insurance group and under 6 grand

Bit different than my first £500 Golf that at times the only door that opened from the outside was the boot :lol: 

1 minute ago, Jambo4050 said:

Ford fiesta eco boost 1.0 would be my choice.

zero road tax on it too.

Had one of these - fantastic little motor 

Imagine the insurance will be quite high - it’s not a slow car that’s for sure 

Fiestas are now the most stolen cars in the UK due to Ford stopping making them, getting stolen for parts.

I'm looking at a Dacia Sandero 1.1, seem to get a lot of car for less money than a similar model by a different maker, my wife got a Duster last year and she loves it.

54 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

We’ve always went through a dealership only because I don’t know a mechanic or about fixing cars. Always negotiated some sort of warranty plus next service/mot at least to give a little peace of mind. Insurance will be a killer pretty much regardless. Like you we paid for our kids first year or until they were earning a decent enough wage. 3 out 4 done just the youngest to go who is nearing 15 and it starts all over again. 🥲

Thunder and Lightning

Download one of the apps that let's you see a cars mot history. At the very least it will let you see it's previous issues. 

Edited by Thunder and Lightning

1 hour ago, Craigieboy said:

Luck of the draw, you get dealers who'll sell you a lemon on the wrong day and individuals who'll do the same.

If you sign up to auto trader (free account) you can pretend you own the car you're looking at and create a selling ad for it (without posting it)

It pulls through all the regular MOT info, mileage etc, but also the stuff you'd normally have to pay for, like has it been a write off, or stolen. It'll also generate an expected price which should give you an idea at least 

40 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Don't go for a Vauxhall. They're shite.

Kia, Hyundai or similar.

My mechanic does nothing but moan about Kia engines

How are insurance groups/categories worked out in the UK?  Here it's almost entirely based in engine size, which means it's more or less the same cost to insure a 1.0 litre 125 bhp Focus as a 1.0 litre 60 bhp Skoda Fabia.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

My son is 17 in a couple of weeks so I'm very interested in these replies.

Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf. B.

Can't go wrong, imo.

10 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Can't go wrong, imo.

I'm much more of a Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 6x6 man, or, a Puch

Haflinger either 4x4 or 6x6😎

henrysmithsgloves
19 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Now you are talking,fond memories of the pinzgauer😁

35 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

34 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

How are insurance groups/categories worked out in the UK?  Here it's almost entirely based in engine size, which means it's more or less the same cost to insure a 1.0 litre 125 bhp Focus as a 1.0 litre 60 bhp Skoda Fabia.

The Focus has twice as much power (turbo charged) though and is a bigger car.

Did a quick auto trader search and a 2015 Focus Zetec 1.0 is in insurance group 11 but a similar aged Skoda Fabia with a no turbo 1.0 is only in insurance group 3.

How much that will lower the insurance depends on the driver I guess.

Edited by heartsfc_fan

Shooter McGavin

I'd even try to go for something a bit cheaper, maybe a £2k/3k car with 50,000 miles on the clock?

Get a few years out of it, and he won't be overly bothered about scuffs and scrapes etc.

First years insurance is a b******.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

il Duce McTarkin
25 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aye, decent utility motor that'll get you about, but if it's the bitches he's after it's a Tiger or a Sd.Kfz. 251 half-track.

Bitches love half-tracks.

Lord Montpelier

Get him a Volvo 340 like my old man did back in the day if you can find one. 

Terrible for pulling the burds but built like a sherman tank if you ever happened to hit a wall (for example)

50 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Can't go wrong, imo.

MK IV or MK VI.

2 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Can't go wrong, imo.

Better to read the trade reviews.

"– it was underpowered, had limited maneuverability due to its extreme weight, was prone to malfunctions, and had significant design defects (mainly in the propulsion system)."

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/paper-tiger-or-king-tiger-german.html

12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

"– it was underpowered, had limited maneuverability due to its extreme weight, was prone to malfunctions, and had significant design defects (mainly in the propulsion system)."

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/paper-tiger-or-king-tiger-german.html

Sounds like Morgan's sister in law.

periodictabledancer

Buy from a reputable dealer because if ANYTHING goes wrong and they start messing you about you can just hand it back and get a refund. On the downside, you're highly unlikely to be able to negotiate the price down as there's such a shortage of second cars. 

I'd go for a Ford every time in this market , reliable as hell. 

Stick yourself on his insurance as well, sometimes it lowers the price by quite a bit. Also look at the black box insurers, not great for street cred but gives him a reason to be sensible for the first year at least.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

It's up against a Corsa or Ford Fiesta ffs, not the combined might of the British Empire, ANZACs, USA, and Red B*****ding army.

Besides, it gets the bursds wet (but not as wet as a half-track does.

16 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Fiestas are now the most stolen cars in the UK due to Ford stopping making them, getting stolen for parts.

I'm looking at a Dacia Sandero 1.1, seem to get a lot of car for less money than a similar model by a different maker, my wife got a Duster last year and she loves it.

That's the spirit, all wives should have dusters. 

My eldest has a VW Up as his first car! He is 6 foot 4 and absolutely loves it! Easy to park, cheap to insure and has had his for 5 years!

Traded in a fiesta last year and got a 15 plate Hyundai i40. Diesel with plenty miles on it but only one previous owner with full service history and receipts for every bit of work done on it and in cracking condition. It's top spec so the heated seats and steering wheel have been great the last week or so. Got it from Lanarkshire Car sales as the owner is a friend of a friend. 

Insurance is pretty decent and low road tax. I love it. First car I have genuinely given a shit about. 

I would stay away from Corsas, Fiestas and Polos as the insurance on them is usually higher due to the number of accidents they're involved in - tends to be young and inexperienced drivers who drive the majority of them.

Have a look at things like the Hyundai i30, Mazda 2, or Toyota Yaris.  Especially the Mazda 2, I've had 2 of them and they are rock solid wee cars.  

What about getting an older car and insuring it for third party only?

If you're buying from a dealership it's worth asking them about insurance. They can sometimes get better prices.

39 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

What about getting an older car and insuring it for third party only?

If you're buying from a dealership it's worth asking them about insurance. They can sometimes get better prices.

My experience of this was very different. When I bought my first car new from the dealership, they gave me 7 day driveaway insurance through Mazda.  My insurance for that year through AXA ended up being about £600, which I thought was alright for a new driver. 

When Mazda phoned with their insurance quote it was £3800 a year :lol:

4 years later, I did end up going with them as it was £750 for the year and they were on par with everyone else.  But as a new driver, it was piss taking of the highest level!! 

It will differ with different manufacturers, but holy **** as a new driver it was bad! 

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Not if you're going into the private hire business, though. 

Insurance for that is on another planet. 

21 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Hello mate, totally agree. I have a Stepway, 80 miles to the gallon 1.5 diesel but no road tax as under the emissions limit

Edited by Class of 75

10 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Hello mate, totally agree. I have a Stepway, 80 miles to the gallon 1.5 diesel but no road tax as under the emissions limit

People do seem to really love their Dacias

44 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

People do seem to really love their Dacias

For about 26 or so years we had Golf TDi's, when the last one was due for a change we went to look for another, but I just couldn't justify the money garages were asking. My wife isn't at all snobby about cars, or anything else for that matter, we had both talked about the Duster, quite liked the look of them and, as we live out in the sticks, the 4x4 was a draw as she's missed it over the year, she often has to take the car to the end of our drive if it's going to snow or be a hard frost. We got a three year old Duster for 14k, 35 thousand in the clock, she loves it, I really like it, it was stolen today I'd go and buy another tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

It's the 1.0 or 1.1 I'll be looking for, I've see a couple and they're just seem a lot of car for the money.

Would definitely recommend a Volkswagen group car; Polos might be a bit expensive but Seat Ibizas and Skoda Fabias are essentially the same car. Reliable as anything and parts are plentiful, fairly cheap servicing too.

And avoid dealers like the plague, they'll have no qualms about doing a botch job on a dodgy motor and palming it off on an unsuspecting punter. The online ones seem a bit better as they do have fairly rigorous checks, or just go private and make sure you've got someone with you who knows a bit about cars and can spot any potential issues.

I P Knightley

A spot of advice I was given on getting round the ridiculous costs of insuring a teenager in his early years of driving was to get him insured 3rd party on a moped. It's about the cheapest insurance you can get but it will build up a no-claims discount for him. He doesn't have to use the moped, in fact, the guy giving me this tip doesn't even own the moped that he's insured his lad on. 

Then, if you want him to have a car, get one that you insure for yourself as main driver with him added. Some insurance companies give you a rate for an added driver which is based on the number of miles they drive. So, you pay initially for, say, 2,000 miles and if it looks like he's going to do more, you top up. I've not looked any further into that; presume it needs a black box or he must log into an app before driving so that the company can be sure that the piss isn't being taken. Company's called Marmalade.

Although GoCompare etc. are good in very many regards, the absence of a proper, human insurance, with whom you can discuss issues like this is a flippin' nightmare. I'm trying to discover what would be a decent car to have for me with son added - having passed his test recently. It's been a lot of trial and error. Huge differences between insurance costs depending on which car it is - even if spec like the engine size, power, top speed, 0-60, number of doors etc. are within a bawhair of each other, you can see the premium double if you look at a Fiat rather than a Ford. 

Insurance? 

Mental!!!

New Town Loafer
23 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Can't go wrong, imo.

Seconded. Very effective.

On 06/12/2023 at 15:41, heartsfc_fan said:

Don't go for a Vauxhall. They're shite.

Kia, Hyundai or similar.

You have completely undersold this point!!!

They're that bad, the government should have public enquiry into why Vauxhall's even exist!