Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• Dawnrazor

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• periodictabledancer

3 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

At £112 a pop it feckin should be. 

Edit : for a case. 😅

Where?  Can I buy it at that price in NI?  It's over 20 yoyos a feckin' bottle here.  :vangry:

periodictabledancer
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Where?  Can I buy it at that price in NI?  It's over 20 yoyos a feckin' bottle here.  :vangry:

https://vinewhisperer.uk/product/astrolabe-kekerengu-coast-sauvignon-blanc/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAnL-sBhBnEiwAJRGigvQJPg-bPsoav_fwa0DOEIXcwhop5xsF_k-0rbeCmzL8g5MwId03RhoCseYQAvD_BwE

I just googled out of curiosity - big Sauvy fan  myself.

No clue on shipping. 

periodictabledancer
9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Waitrose ?

This looks good.

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/sauvignon-blanc/astrolabe-awatere-sauvignon-blanc?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAnL-sBhBnEiwAJRGigi8ueUm_zkj0ZexEMBV1yvfCPNmuYIYVUPOirI_G-Ifj-o6S89ReBxoCMr8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

12 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Eek - that's a 6-bottle case, so £18.75 (€21.61) a bottle.  My local off-licence charges €22.75 for a single bottle, though I have bought it on discount for €19.95.

If you're a fan of Sauvignon Blanc you'll really like it.  It's made close to the sea, and don't ask me why but it tastes like that to me.

Edited by Ulysses

2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

We have Awatere from time to time here.  I really like it, and it's one of Mme U's favourites. 

Try also their "standard" Astrolabe Sauvignon Blanc which is really nice and should be a bit cheaper.

periodictabledancer
4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

We have Awatere from time to time here.  I really like it, and it's one of Mme U's favourites. 

Try also their "standard" Astrolabe Sauvignon Blanc which is really nice and should be a bit cheaper.

:thumb:

Tonight's gonna be a good night....."

2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

:thumb:

Tonight's gonna be a good night....."

Also - but I dunno where you might find it - try Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc.  I mean, I know where I can find it, but it's a bit of a distance for you to drive.... :booze: 

This one popped up on my Facebook memories just now from 5 years ago. Sadly this year is about £80 to £90 a pop now so it will have to stay a memory. 

IMG_0780.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

This one popped up on my Facebook memories just now from 5 years ago. Sadly this year is about £80 to £90 a pop now so it will have to stay a memory. 

IMG_0780.jpeg

My local off-licence has a 2016 for €42.  

Just now, Ulysses said:

My local off-licence has a 2016 for €42.  

In Musar terms that’s a newbie as they only release it normally after 7 years. So that 2007 wasn’t available until 2014. It’s very year dependent for the quality so maybe buy a couple of the 2016 and lay them off if it turns out to be a good year. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

In Musar terms that’s a newbie as they only release it normally after 7 years. So that 2007 wasn’t available until 2014. It’s very year dependent for the quality so maybe buy a couple of the 2016 and lay them off if it turns out to be a good year. 

Gonna do that.  

periodictabledancer
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Also - but I dunno where you might find it - try Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc.  I mean, I know where I can find it, but it's a bit of a distance for you to drive.... :booze: 

Well, if needs must .....😄

That thing you do

Mexico now has a growing wine industry. The climate in the sierra madre has always been good for it but vineyards have started springing up in last 5 to 10 years.

Had the below at christmas. Going again tonight.

Not sure how easy it is to get in UK but its an easily drinkable smooth friuty red.

images (14).jpeg

That thing you do
On 03/12/2023 at 15:08, Tazio said:

I’m a bit of fan of it as well. The Trivento from Tesco is a nice drop. One of the best things about modern wine making is that unless you drop to stupid cheap it’s hard to find something horrible. Not always great but always drinkable. I’m trying the Tesco Finest Malbec Mendoza today. It’s rather pleasant and went very well with the ribeye steak with dauphinois potatoes I cooked earlier. 

Assuming this is argentinian as Mendoza is just the argentine side of the chile/argentine border.

It makes sense they would do decent wine there being elevated in the andes.

Chiean wine better though in my opinion. Casa Blanca region is very good.

Having a bottle of a Ribera Del Duero Crianza that I got for Christmas from a pal. It’s not too bad and a nice change from the New World stuff I mostly drink. 

Edited by Tazio
Read the label before you post

• 2 weeks later...
Dawnrazor

I got a bottle of Cahors Malbec tonight, so so, maybe a 6/10.

Screenshot_20240113-210631_Chrome.jpg

mrmarkus1981_1

Argentinian Malbec

or

Marlborough Sauvignon

or

GTF

In a nice way though 😘

Wine is rank rotten. Sorry but it is. Unless it's mixed with cider. Then it's party time. 🥳

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Wine is rank rotten. Sorry but it is. Unless it's mixed with cider. Then it's party time. 🥳

Lager with Buckie and a few ice cubes ..quality .

1 minute ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Never tried it, as a can drink lager.  But I was quite partial to a bottle of Buckie walking the 200m from the shop to the Pub in my late teens early twenties. You need a starter before the main. Plus pubs rip the piss.

That thing you do

Ive just had the drink below, called "Tinto de Verano" or Summer Red Wine. Our local pizzeria offers it with any meal order.

Its decently smooth and refreshing.

The recipe is

• 500 ml of red of your choice
  • 500 ml of soda water
  • Shot of white or dark vermuth
  • Lemon/Orange Slices
  • Ice to cool

Article-Tinto-de-Verano-Spritz-Recipe.jpg

Edited by That thing you do

8 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

^^^^

FFS🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

Having previously recommended Whispering Angel, I bought this today mainly because of its name. :ninja:

20240203_172846.thumb.jpg.b96aa43f6eb37a2c183c88a04280aeb5.jpg

joondalupjambo

Grab a bottle of Western Australia SB out of Sainsbury's.  It is from the Margaret River area and is in Sainsbury's Finest Range.  You will not get a bad bottle of Western Aussie wine and this is up there.  About 9 quid and worth every cent.  Hard to get WA wines off the supermarket shelf now but when you see any grab them.  I am no wine conossour but WA stuff is some of the easiest drinking I have ever had.

Dawnrazor
42 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Grab a bottle of Western Australia SB out of Sainsbury's.  It is from the Margaret River area and is in Sainsbury's Finest Range.  You will not get a bad bottle of Western Aussie wine and this is up there.  About 9 quid and worth every cent.  Hard to get WA wines off the supermarket shelf now but when you see any grab them.  I am no wine conossour but WA stuff is some of the easiest drinking I have ever had.

👍 I'll look out for it.

il Duce McTarkin
On 13/01/2024 at 16:37, Jeffros Furios said:

A favourite pre-match refreshment in Fish-mooth's flat above Johnny's Amusements on Gorgie Road circa 1994 iirc.

highlandjambo3

I’ve always felt like a wine tramp as I can only drink white Chardonnay, I believe red wine is a notch higher but I’ve tried it, it’s not for me.

heatonjambo
On 31/12/2023 at 01:37, Tazio said:

IMG_0780.jpeg

You need to watch the documentary/film - Wine and War about the history of wine making in the Lebanon 

great movie I’m sure you’ll like it

Edited by heatonjambo

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

A favourite pre-match refreshment in Fish-mooth's flat above Johnny's Amusements on Gorgie Road circa 1994 iirc.

A snakebite with some Château for the special occasion :jjyay:

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

A snakebite with some Château for the special occasion :jjyay:

For washing down the post-match Bill Leckies.

:jjyay:

JudyJudyJudy

I like wine but rarely drink it as it gets me legless.  So i avoid it. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Coming out of a dry January with a Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano from Tesco. £12 but worth spending a bit more after a month without a drop of booze.

Definitely going to cut back this year as feeling a lot healthier right now.

4 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I really cant get into red wine, bogging stuff. 

It has its moments, but as I get older I find that the headaches aren't really worth it.

3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I prefer white wine to red wine 

3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I’ve always felt like a wine tramp as I can only drink white Chardonnay, I believe red wine is a notch higher but I’ve tried it, it’s not for me.

There are several rosés listed earlier in this thread.  You should give one or two of them a go.  I know they might look a bit pink and girly, but they're quite decent, with some of the taste and body advantages of reds but without all the heaviness and tannins.

4 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

You need to watch the documentary/film - Wine and War about the history of wine making in the Lebanon 

Cheers. I’ll have a look for it. 

Sooperstar
22 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

I thought that said Wine & Var for a second there and, well, that would explain a lot. 

periodictabledancer
23 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Get yourself down to Waitrose. Chateau Tanunda  (honest)   , a lovely Oz chardonnay that drinks like a smooth burgundy, reduced to £7.50 a bottle.  Had great reviews pre Xmas. 

heatonjambo
20 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I thought that said Wine & Var for a second there and, well, that would explain a lot. 

😀

Any oneophiles out there tried orange (or amber) wine? Had a bottle sitting about for a year now and never quite fancied it.

Sooperstar
42 minutes ago, westbow said:

Any oneophiles out there tried orange (or amber) wine? Had a bottle sitting about for a year now and never quite fancied it.

Tried some in Little Rascals (wine bar on St John's Road) a couple of years back. It was fine. 

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, westbow said:

Tried a couple from Majestic wines : I don't get it , it was nothing special and aside from the unusual colour I don't see what all the fuss is about. 

Having a very nice Margaret River Cab Sauv just now.

Margaret River in the south-west of Western Australia is, along with Franschhoek in the Western Cape, my move-to-if-I-win-the-lottery place.

• 2 weeks later...
All roads lead to Gorgie

Any one looking for a good red should try an Aldi Vinsobres, a Rhone Village that won't break the bank. Best red I have tried since going through the annual dry January. 

periodictabledancer
On 07/02/2024 at 19:44, FWJ said:

Having a very nice Margaret River Cab Sauv just now.

Margaret River in the south-west of Western Australia is, along with Franschhoek in the Western Cape, my move-to-if-I-win-the-lottery place.

Featured heavily in a BBC prog with John Torode yesterday about W Australia. 

6 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Any one looking for a good red should try an Aldi Vinsobres, a Rhone Village that won't break the bank. Best red I have tried since going through the annual dry January. 

Dry January, congratulations...👏🏻 spellings on point also...:wink: ...phew!