*****Official Heart of Midlothian v Rangers Match Thread *****

David66k

alicante jambo
48 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

You’re most likely right, but the game at Ibrox suggested that maybe it isn’t an absolute foregone conclusion.

Naismith got it bang on at ibrox. Haring not being sharp enough lost us that game. Maybe just maybe naismith will have something up his sleeve.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Watt-Zeefuik

• GinRummy

• Buster HMFC

alicante jambo
4 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

How exciting todays news, both Craigs and Barrie, what additions to the squad for this period. Getting Atkinson back would balance things out better on the right also

Fecking amazing news . I genuinly never realised they were that close. Although it will take weeks to get back to full fitness. Least its a start.

56 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Most of us were won over some time ago. 

And will remain won over regardless of what happens tomorrow. 

I'm still on the fence mate.

What gives me a bit of hope is confidence from winning,Shankland and Morelos isn't playing.

Hearts 2 v 1 Walk aways

pettigrewsstylist
5 hours ago, Kyle Lafferty HoMSC said:

McKay and Atkinson (surprisingly) have been huge misses imo. 

Agree fully about McKay, think he could hopefully put an end to our relative struggles in front of goal.

He is another we wouldnt be able to replace on our wages. Missed him big time.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, alicante jambo said:

Naismith got it bang on at ibrox. Haring not being sharp enough lost us that game. Maybe just maybe naismith will have something up his sleeve.

Not too sure the tactics were bang on as opposed to rangers being lethargic in front of goal tbh.

Can't see his tactics being " give rangers lots of ball and let them have lots of attempts on goal" tbh

We'll be very lucky to score in the first minute again as well, but you never know!

pettigrewsstylist
11 minutes ago, FJT said:

@Kyle Lafferty HoMSC completely agree we’ve really missed McKay and Atkinson. I actually think Atkinson, despite earlier frailties, was really coming on and making a big difference down that flank. Gaping hole there since. 

Cant see anybody but Sibbick getting nod there tomm. Sums it up. 

All 4 refs from Glasgow/WoS.

Wee Willie's in the middle, Anderson from Ayrshire is 4th official while the 2 VAR refs are both from Weegieland (Steve McLean whose brother was a signed Rangers player and Gary Hilland).

Maybe someone could keep a lookout before the game and see them all tripping off the Rangers team bus.

Franksluckypants

Our fortune has got to change at some point. Obviously need more than just crossing the fingers with top performances required from all including our subs.

2:1 though would take a draw.

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

It's game day , cmon the Hearts HHGH 

:yas:  Lets hope they're up for it. I'll take a sneaky 1-0 against the run of play and a barrage of dodgy refereeing decisions. 

Of the 4 the only two I'd start are Natty and Gordon. We've no real viable option in that RWB role so if Natty is fit he should start.

Team for me:

Gordon (will likely be Clark)

Kingsley
Kent

Rowles

Atkinson (will likely be Oda or Sibbick)

Beni

Nieuwenhof

Grant

Cochrane

Shankland

Tagawa

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

:yas:  Lets hope they're up for it. I'll take a sneaky 1-0 against the run of play and a barrage of dodgy refereeing decisions. 

Will take anything that gives us the 3pts buddy

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

You may well get the last of those wishes, but not in our favour 

25 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Of the 4 the only two I'd start are Natty and Gordon. We've no real viable option in that RWB role so if Natty is fit he should start.

Team for me:

Gordon (will likely be Clark)

Kingsley
Kent

Rowles

Atkinson (will likely be Oda or Sibbick)

Beni

Nieuwenhof

Grant

Cochrane

Shankland

Tagawa

You would start with Gordon in this match? He doesn't need to be rushed back.

6 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Yes I would. He isn't being rushed back, he's fit and available. It's a bone injury, would be completely different if it was ligaments like Halkett, who I wouldn't start.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Dont see us winning tonight , they have better players and the referees will not allow it if they can help it , even if we did manage to make it close again

See if we did though being five points off second at this stage in the season after a run of five in a row would be pretty sensational form . we would also likely be five points clear of Hibs who you would expect Celtic to take care of at home 

A win tonight with other results going our way could really change the complexion of the season 

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Dont see us winning tonight , they have better players and the referees will not allow it if they can help it , even if we did manage to make it close again

See if we did though being five points off second at this stage in the season after a run of five in a row would be pretty sensational form . we would also likely be five points clear of Hibs who you would expect Celtic to take care of at home 

A win tonight with other results going our way could really change the complexion of the season 

It's all fine lines but if we had held on at Ibrox a win tonight would have us 2nd! I agree though they have better players and the help of the officials and VAR so an almighty task. Not like the 80s where you could just get stuck in, hard nowadays as one mistimed tackle and you are away. Our press needs to be controlled as well because they have pace that can hurt you in behind.

We_are_the_Hearts
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yes I would. He isn't being rushed back, he's fit and available. It's a bone injury, would be completely different if it was ligaments like Halkett, who I wouldn't start.

Clark aint getting dropped after 2 clean sheets

2 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Clark aint getting dropped after 2 clean sheets

This. 

As much as we all want Gordon back what kind of message does that send. 4 wins in a row, clean sheets being the foundation in the last 2 and then gets papped out the team. 

On the face of it we are solid at the back but really we rode our luck a bit on Saturday. We have to be organised and keep our shape at the back, we had full backs "tucking in" against Celtic here and they took full advantage of the uncontested space in wide areas, it is not how you want to play it is how you need to play, keep the shape right across the back line. They will press high so get it forward quickly, if that is long, route one, over the top so be it, do not play into their hands by playing it about the back. Our midfield needs to engage and contribute more. We will need pace up front and get them turning, we have been rolling over for too long in these OF matches, time to change.

Edited by Skacelsid
Missed a word

RWB is the only position that really troubles me atm. Forrest isn't the answer and Sibbick absolutely isn't the answer. Gets torn apart every time he plays. The only other realistic option I could think of for tonight would be Denholm since he's playing there for Scotland u21s. Even then that wouldn't fill me with much confidence. Definitely our weakest area of the squad and I'm sure the club have a few targets lined up for January.

15 hours ago, GinRummy said:

There might be some truth to that but in recent years we’ve played into their hands at times. The ridiculous midfield selection by Robbie that home game against Huns and continuing with a two man midfield after Beni got injured didn’t help one bit. Getting our bit right gives us a better chance and I actually think the current 3-5-2 shape could work well.  

I think the 3-5-2 would stop us being outnumbered in midfield. Agree I wouldn't be giving McKay his first start back after injury in this game. At best he'd get through the minutes uninjured - but take loads of stick for doing nothing up against superior opponents who are just able to defend against him.

I'd keep him back for the st mirren and h1b5 games - maybe give him 10-15 mins v the sheep and celtic to get some match fitness in the legs

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The outfield players will no doubt come back with sub minutes, like Beni, however big decision when you ditch the keeper. But its Craig Gordon, its no ordinary keeper

1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

I think the 3-5-2 would stop us being outnumbered in midfield. Agree I wouldn't be giving McKay his first start back after injury in this game. At best he'd get through the minutes uninjured - but take loads of stick for doing nothing up against superior opponents who are just able to defend against him.

I'd keep him back for the st mirren and h1b5 games - maybe give him 10-15 mins v the sheep and celtic to get some match fitness in the legs

I'd definitely not start any of them. Atkinson would be best coming off the bench for a few games and let him get his confidence up, his confidence has bee low before. The time to change either your keeper or central defence is definitely not against the old firm, especially after two clean sheets. 

Said earlier in the thread I'd like McKay back for St Mirren match 👍

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I'd definitely not start any of them. Atkinson would be best coming off the bench for a few games and let him get his confidence up, his confidence has bee low before. The time to change either your keeper or central defence is definitely not against the old firm, especially after two clean sheets. 

Said earlier in the thread I'd like McKay back for St Mirren match 👍

totally agree. 👍

9 minutes ago, Chimp said:

RWB is the only position that really troubles me atm. Forrest isn't the answer and Sibbick absolutely isn't the answer. Gets torn apart every time he plays. The only other realistic option I could think of for tonight would be Denholm since he's playing there for Scotland u21s. Even then that wouldn't fill me with much confidence. Definitely our weakest area of the squad and I'm sure the club have a few targets lined up for January.

Forrest struggled against St Johnstone, it would be a bit silly if Naisy started him at RWB. Sibbick struggled against Rangers at Hampden and Naisy moved Oda from RWB at the earliest opportunity on Saturday. As you say, no good options but I think Sibbick will get the nod.

Hopefully we can put Tavernier and Barasic under pressure tonight. Tavernier in particular is extremely vulnerable defensively. We've seen that several times at Tynecastle over the years. Unless of course we intend to make him look like Cafu as we did the other week at Hampden. 

pettigrewsstylist
32 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I was half expecting him to come on in RWB last week, having played plenty mins there in week prior.

The fact he sidnt leads me to beleive he wont tonight.

I wont be massively surprised if i see a back 4 start tonight with Toby at RB.

33 minutes ago, Chimp said:

No he doesn't.

27 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Forrest struggled against St Johnstone, it would be a bit silly if Naisy started him at RWB. Sibbick struggled against Rangers at Hampden and Naisy moved Oda from RWB at the earliest opportunity on Saturday. As you say, no good options but I think Sibbick will get the nod.

I have watched Forrest since he was a schoolboy at Ayr United, but he has struggled recently against the better SPL teams, I think he might be away in the January break to somewhere like Motherwell or St Johnstone. 

I like Denholm and think he might be versatile enough to do a job as a right-sided wingback, there is nothing wrong with Sibbick in that position either, and Nat should be back soon.

1 hour ago, 151 said:

This. 

As much as we all want Gordon back what kind of message does that send. 4 wins in a row, clean sheets being the foundation in the last 2 and then gets papped out the team. 

I just don't see how you can drop Scotland's current first-choice keeper when he's in good form. Craig will be on the bench until Zander is injured I think.

I'm looking forward to the game. Always love a night game under the lights in a packed Tynecastle.  Interested to see how close we can go tonight. Player confidence is so key. Would love to sit in on the team talk. Little things can make a difference like having a extra day over Rangers to prepare, defending a four game winning streak and of course  the backing of us with a reduced away support. Turning the tables, pressure is right on them, they are 8 points behind  Celtic with a game in hand. 'Can't afford a slip up' will play on their minds if we can stay in the game. Just hope the officials don't spoil it if we ever get to that point. That's the key for us always to stay in the game and kick on. Big test as aways with OF games and as with every game you just never know anything can happen.  ....Common the Jambos...

58 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

No he doesn't.

He really does. Still loses his man and barely ever manages to block crosses. He's been getting roasted any time he's played recently. No idea how you could say he's been even remotely good defensively.

Edited by Chimp

59 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I was half expecting him to come on in RWB last week, having played plenty mins there in week prior.

The fact he sidnt leads me to beleive he wont tonight.

I wont be massively surprised if i see a back 4 start tonight with Toby at RB.

Yeah you might be right, unfortunately. He had a howler last game against them and he's a liability.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Hopefully we can put Tavernier and Barasic under pressure tonight. Tavernier in particular is extremely vulnerable defensively. We've seen that several times at Tynecastle over the years. Unless of course we intend to make him look like Cafu as we did the other week at Hampden. 

The only time those pair ever look good is when they aren't tested. Any pressure on them and they are very suspect. If Oda starts I'd like to see him have a real go at them.

2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Rushed ? He’s been playing bounce games for 6 weeks. I’d get him in ASAP. Tonight if possible.He improves us enormously in that position

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

No he doesn't.

Was Hampden the last game he started in? Played well on Saturday when he came on but my only reservation is he had a stinker against Rangers in the semi. Denholm an interesting option but failing that I do think it will be Toby.

Edited by GinRummy

8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Rushed ? He’s been playing bounce games for 6 weeks. I’d get him in ASAP. Tonight if possible.He improves us enormously in that position

Yeah it certainly wouldn't be rushed. How else are you supposed to do it? Bring him on for the last 20 mins over the next few games? 

He's an experienced top keeper and far better than Clark, who has been very suspect recently. Naismith won't drop him but Gordon should start if he's fit.

2 hours ago, gordiegords said:

Time for tagawa to get a run of games.

This for me.

We need a bit of pace and presence up front.

1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Yeah it certainly wouldn't be rushed. How else are you supposed to do it? Bring him on for the last 20 mins over the next few games? 

He's an experienced top keeper and far better than Clark, who has been very suspect recently. Naismith won't drop him but Gordon should start if he's fit.

Probably in a game we would be expecting to control, with maybe only realistically needing to face a couple of shots/crosses. 

Tonight will probably be a tough game in terms of pressure, loads of crosses into the box etc.

I do get your point though, could end up needing to save loads against shite teams. There is no ideal time it's probably more for Clark - off the back of 2 clean sheets is the wrong time.