*****Official Heart of Midlothian v Rangers Match Thread *****

David66k

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

How is that true?  What's so wrong with his game at the moment??  

What were our two best moves in the last two games?  The two that ended with Cochrane having shots on goal due to his penetrating runs, the first of which he also set up starting with a nutmeg.  Who has put the most dangerous balls in to the box in the last couple of games?  Who set up our winner against St Johnstone?

What's been poor?  Danny Armstrong getting past him a bit!? Won't be the first or last, and he made at least one crucial block tackle in a dangerous moment I can think of.

What I would say is he misses McKay.  His inverted runs are perfect for Barrie to pick out.

Spot on.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Watt-Zeefuik

• GinRummy

• Buster HMFC

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Clark,

Kingsley Kent Rowles

Sibbick Cochrane

Baningime Denholm Niuewenhof

Shankland Tagawa.

Assuming Devlin knock will keep him out as will Boyces, with another game on Saturday, probably more important still, we need to have something left in the tank for that one.

Hard week this.

A yellow and at least one red card for every player you have listed. It really is not worth the money to go to games these days as we know the result before KO. Every single Hearts fan should put money on Sevco getting a penalty and donate the winnings to FoH.

Ex member of the SaS
21 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

if we go 4 at the back it needs to be 4 across the back, we need our full backs to stay wide not this tucking in nonsense, we did not contest wide areas against Celtic at home and gave them freedom to rip us apart. Our pitch is narrow and it's not difficult cover the width. On the face of it we are defending well but rode our luck yesterday, the rest of December will be a  different challenge. If our midfield was doing more it would ask less of defenders and let them do their job. There is no good reason why we cannot give this Rangers team a decent game.

Agreed, every single player has to tackle them at every level on the pitch. No point allowing their defenders to wander into our half with the ball, it simply allows them to spray passes and open up the defense. Tackle them before the half way line and you have a shorter distance to their goal.

7 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Clark,

Kingsley Kent Rowles

Sibbick Cochrane

Baningime Denholm Niuewenhof

Shankland Tagawa.

Assuming Devlin knock will keep him out as will Boyces, with another game on Saturday, probably more important still, we need to have something left in the tank for that one.

Hard week this.

I think Devlin took a kick so he should be fine, didn't look a muscle injury. I think Boyce will miss out. Having seen Newcastle play the way they did in Paris with no subs and then do the same against Man U on Saturday, again with no subs until injury time, there should be no excuses of fatigue or not being able to play 3 games in a week. We should be going all out to take 3 points on Wednesday night. 

8 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

We need to change our approach when playing them at home, what we have tried previously has never worked. We need high tempo pressing them all over the pitch. I would swap Grant for Devlin for this one as well, Devlin is made for these types of games and will be far more effective than Grant. This is all on the assumption he is fit after the knock he got at the weekend. Rangers are nothing special and we are more than capable of taking something from the game. We need to be disciplined though and defend properly from the first whistle. We always seem to lose early goals to the OF at home which makes it so tough to get a foothold in the game and puts us on the back foot straight away. 

Grant just dosn't look interested. He has the odd nice touch and can pick the odd decent pass but he is not cut out for games where you need a blood and thunder approach.

We need tio use our bench well to curtail them. By that I mean giving someone say 60 minutes to run their heart out and replace them with someone who will do the same.

If Oda starts then he needs to take his man on and not cut inside. Haring and Halliday should be nowhere near this game hopefully even from the bench.

They are definitely no great shakes but then they still have a lot of movement in their team which we need to defend and Rowles needs to stay on his feet and react much quicker.

I would also prefer Kingsley to be on the left to help the bombscare that is Cochrane to defend. He is fine going forward but costs us dearly at times and he is worth a penalty to them.

The only problem with that is that with Kingsley on the Left that would probably mean Sibbick on the right and we know what he is capable of doing by way of making mistakes.

That might just leave the door open to play Forrest at RWB.

We really need to be well up for this and get right in their faces for the whole duration of the game but I will be very surprised if we manage it as we seem to have lost this from our game now or don't have the players capable of doing it.

We can live in hope.

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Grant just dosn't look interested. He has the odd nice touch and can pick the odd decent pass but he is not cut out for games where you need a blood and thunder approach.

We need tio use our bench well to curtail them. By that I mean giving someone say 60 minutes to run their heart out and replace them with someone who will do the same.

If Oda starts then he needs to take his man on and not cut inside. Haring and Halliday should be nowhere near this game hopefully even from the bench.

They are definitely no great shakes but then they still have a lot of movement in their team which we need to defend and Rowles needs to stay on his feet and react much quicker.

I would also prefer Kingsley to be on the left to help the bombscare that is Cochrane to defend. He is fine going forward but costs us dearly at times and he is worth a penalty to them.

The only problem with that is that with Kingsley on the Left that would probably mean Sibbick on the right and we know what he is capable of doing by way of making mistakes.

We really need to be well up for this and get right in their faces for the whole duration of the game but I will be very surprised if we manage it as we seem to have lost this from our game now or don't have the players capable of doing it.

We can live in hope.

Where to start on this one.  Your plan seems to be to drop Kye for this game?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I think Devlin took a kick so he should be fine, didn't look a muscle injury. I think Boyce will miss out. Having seen Newcastle play the way they did in Paris with no subs and then do the same against Man U on Saturday, again with no subs until injury time, there should be no excuses of fatigue or not being able to play 3 games in a week. We should be going all out to take 3 points on Wednesday night. 

The difference being they have superior athletes and pay for superior athletes, its not purely skill level. I dont personally believe thats like for like, and I did see Newcastle perform very poorly against Bournemouth without any energy. 

I'm with you though, there should be maximum effort made and through the pain barrier this week, could make all the difference

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We can live in hope.

Grant not really my cuppa, but he is a different type of player, wouldnt say he isnt interested, he was the man who helped Shankland  for the goal on Saturday by making the run that forced the error. Things like that can go unnoticed. I wouldnt play him away from home though, 

Grant not really my cuppa, but he is a different type of player, wouldnt say he isnt interested, he was the man who helped Shankland  for the goal on Saturday by making the run that forced the error. Things like that can go unnoticed. I wouldnt play him away from home though, 

Grant just seems to drift around a lot of the time and doesn't get as involved as he should. He is capable of some nice play but I don't think this is the game for him. Against StJ last week his pressing off the ball second half was terrible, at one point he was just walking about. Our biggest issue is RWB, not convinced by Toby, Forrest or Oda in there. Forrest was terrible against St Johnstone, Oda wasn't much better on Saturday and Sibbick just makes a daft mistake all the time when playing a big game. 

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Devlin looked a sore one on Saturday.  I;m assuming he's out....  I'd actually maybe go Denholm.  It's him or Grant isn't it.

I'd also be tempted to start Tagawa...

Was hoping Devlin was just a knock. I'd prefer Denholm to Grant for this one as well.

I doubt he'll start Tagawa but he showed enough on Saturday that he'd be worth the risk.

Edited by GinRummy

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Was hoping Devlin was just a knock. I'd prefer Denholm to Grant for this one as well.

I doubt he'll start Tagawa but he showed enough on Saturday that he'd be worth the risk.

Rangers keep getting caught out with pace in behind, I can see Tagawas chance with Boyce injury

Big chance for us to make a big statement this week and set us up nicely for December. At it from the start and we need to get our noses in front and they will collapse. 

From what I've seen of dessers and lammers they genuinely would struggle to get in our team. There for the taking and I hope naismith is drilling this into the players this week. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Rangers keep getting caught out with pace in behind, I can see Tagawas chance with Boyce injury

Reminding me of when Leveins team beat Celtic 1-0 in 2018. IIRC Levein stuck Mulraney on Tierney which completely nullified him as he couldn't get forward because of Mulraneys pace to get behind him. 

The same thing could apply with Tavernier. His game isn't defending, and I think someone like Oda could cause him problems. 

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

What were our two best moves in the last two games?  The two that ended with Cochrane having shots on goal due to his penetrating runs, the first of which he also set up starting with a nutmeg.  Who has put the most dangerous balls in to the box in the last couple of games?  Who set up our winner against St Johnstone?

What's been poor?  Danny Armstrong getting past him a bit!? Won't be the first or last, and he made at least one crucial block tackle in a dangerous moment I can think of.

What I would say is he misses McKay.  His inverted runs are perfect for Barrie to pick out.

I've been really annoyed with Cochrane recently, but it's because he's one of my favourite players and he keeps getting sent off and giving away penalties.

I even said we should get rid, but it was frustration talking, I'd be gutted if he left.

He's one of the good guys is Alex.

22 minutes ago, OTT said:

Reminding me of when Leveins team beat Celtic 1-0 in 2018. IIRC Levein stuck Mulraney on Tierney which completely nullified him as he couldn't get forward because of Mulraneys pace to get behind him. 

The same thing could apply with Tavernier. His game isn't defending, and I think someone like Oda could cause him problems. 

Not if he cuts inside which he tends to do these days. If he takes him on and gets to the byeline then that would stretch them rather than running into their CB's.

32 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

We need to be playing the right sort of balls into him and the wide players though.

Look at the damage Hibs did against Aberdeen with the balls over the top for Boyle. Just shows what can happen with the direct route and a bit of pace. The final pass and shooting on target helps though. 

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Not if he cuts inside which he tends to do these days. If he takes him on and gets to the byeline then that would stretch them rather than running into their CB's.

True, with a finisher like Shankland, I cannot fathom why our wingers refuse to hit the byline. 

I've noticed how many goals Celtic score that are basically tap ins and its ridiculous. But, that is the path of least resistance for them to scoring. They face the same 11 men behind the ball "low block" nonsense at Livi, Killie, St Mirren etc. so its kind of annoying watching our wingers refuse to do similar. Like we're trying to work too hard, rather than working smarter. 

Where to start on this one.  Your plan seems to be to drop Kye for this game?

I was thinking more of Kingsley on the left of a back four.

Clark

Sibbick Kent Rowles Kingsley

Forrest Beni Devlin Cochrane

Tagawa  Shankland

Just now, OTT said:

True, with a finisher like Shankland, I cannot fathom why our wingers refuse to hit the byline. 

I've noticed how many goals Celtic score that are basically tap ins and its ridiculous. But, that is the path of least resistance for them to scoring. They face the same 11 men behind the ball "low block" nonsense at Livi, Killie, St Mirren etc. so its kind of annoying watching our wingers refuse to do similar. Like we're trying to work too hard, rather than working smarter. 

With Celtic their movement is superb and they are always close to being offside. They are quick as well which helps.

That is what lets down Boyce and Shankland, their lack of pace.

But Oda, Vargas and Tagawa are all pretty quick so we need to make the best use of that and turn their defenders as often as possible.

We are getting nothing out this game and the authorities will ensure that.  Even the SevCo penalty fraud being highlighted in the press will change nothing.

The cheats will ensure the cheats win.

38 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

I've been really annoyed with Cochrane recently, but it's because he's one of my favourite players and he keeps getting sent off and giving away penalties.

I even said we should get rid, but it was frustration talking, I'd be gutted if he left.

He's one of the good guys is Alex.

Yeah I love his attitude.  Totally gives a shit and gets Hearts.  Tbf this season Smithee, two penalties against him, one an atrocious dive, the other a "modern" handball he could do nowt about.  Unlucky

And his sendings off last year.  2 bookings against Celtic, well technically, but there were worse fouls than both not carded.  Straight red against Celtc pure cheating by the officials, and to be honest his one against Hibs, he went to clear the ball on got done on his blind side, not sure it's rash, it's just a but unlucky on a breaking ball.

So, they're all stats against his name, but I just don't think too much of it was terrible play from him.  None of it perfect of course(!) but also he's been heavily punished for small slips if anything

16 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Clark

Tagawa  Shankland

Ah misread you.  Sorry mate

Yeah, dont mind that.  Th  Iere's definite merit in a back 4 for this one, I really think there is.  And pressing them a bit higher up the park may be more doable in this setup.  

Only thing is the 3 at back has been serving us well, so itd be a big call to change it.  Plus, I'd probably like 3 in midfield which the 352 allows (which still letting us having 2 up front).

Of course the 352 could become 532 or even 541 which can be an issue, so if we stick with it, we need to be brave and still pay high up the park.

I think personally the 352 just shades it for me as it allows us to get more of our best players on the park.  If it's pure personnel, I'd rather have Newy than Forrest (I know not straight swap), so the 352 allows that.

The OTHER option is more of a 433 with your back 4, 3xCM and 3 up top to really chase them down.  Flank Shanks with Tagawa and Oda/Vargas and go smashmouth at them.  This drops Cochrane from the team completely though, which I don't love.

WHo knows!!!!

If it’s Collum that’s the ref then the talk afterwards won’t be about the match or the result, the talk will be about Collum.

And that’s just the way he likes it.

The goal on Sat was due to Shanks getting to the bye line and firing it in, goalkeeper makes a hash of it.   Keep firing ball into six yard box, good chance our guys get a touch or defender og.  

Kidd’s Boots
55 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Clark

Tagawa  Shankland

I’d be very happy with this. We haven’t been tested with Kingsley at RB, and this is not the match to start it. Sevci have a bit of pace up front so Sibbick settles my nerves on that front. I’d keep Hoff in the middle, he can pick the passes Devlin can’t and if Tagawa plays on the shoulder we will have space to exploit. 

We_are_the_Hearts
2 minutes ago, Rods said:

Same team as Killie except Sibbick in for Oda and Tagawa for Boyce.

I get the feeling we might not get cheated out of a result this time.

This although would be tempted with Devlin or Denholm for Grant as well

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, OTT said:

I take it you didnt watch Celtic yesterday then :)

2 worldies and a breakaway from almost the equaliser. We had more joy against St Johnstone than they did

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Rods said:

Same team as Killie except Sibbick in for Oda and Tagawa for Boyce.

I get the feeling we might not get cheated out of a result this time.

Heat is definitely on the officials following a spell of quite obvious bias, they may need to rein it in. Wouldnt bet the house on it mind 😉

16 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I take it you didnt watch Celtic yesterday then :)

2 worldies and a breakaway from almost the equaliser. We had more joy against St Johnstone than they did

😂 it was more the volume of tap ins kyogo has scored over the last couple of seasons. Maybe Rodger’s has changed how they play? 

5 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Heat is definitely on the officials following a spell of quite obvious bias, they may need to rein it in. Wouldnt bet the house on it mind 😉

Mate so much focus on all the penalty Rangers stuff which may be mildly amusing if you're an OF supporter, but if you're actually one of the other 10 teams it's actually a slap in the face.

As I always say, the penalties are the ugly obvious bit, but not the bit that actually makes the difference, not really imo anyway.  The ref needs to find a reason to give or not give them.  There'll be grey area and you know they'll go one way at one end of the park and one way at the other.  BUt at the same time, the situations are not that often.  And it can be highlighted.  

What really really REALLY gets me more is the stuff that never ever gets aired.  The "wee" fouls we don't get in their final third but they get in ours.  The yellow card we get early in the game but their guy doesn't and in fact gets away with a few similar.

These are the things that actually change the course of a game.  The things that allow Rangers and Celitc to stay camped in your half.  So much emphasis put on Rangers' penalty against us.  Soft and shite?  Poor from Haring?  Both!!!  But the fact is that if we'd got the blatant freekick 30 yards out from their goal out on the touchline 90 seconds before they got the corner, none of it happens.  We either keep the ball in the corrner, or we even put it in the box and see if we can make something happen.  Either way, we have territory, possession and the clock ticks down.

THESE are the decisions referees up here will continue to shaft us with.  We had the same against Celtic the week before with a blatant foul on Shanks before they ran up and scored.  Nowt said.  Great counterattack I'll bet.

I lost my shit at a hun who was in the Hearts end last season when Devlin was sent off.  He had it up on his phone showing me how it was a red etc etc.  Among telling him he needed to £$%^ off out my end of the ground, I was trying to get it through to him that it may technically be a red, but does he think a Rangers player would get more than a yellow for the same - Joe Aribo's two footed lunge for example - they just don't see it.

What happens is every "big" moment is looked at in isolation.  So is the Rangers penalty "technically" a penalty.  Well, a lot of the tine, yeah it is.  Has the same been given to every other team who has had a similar offence against them?! No.  Was that Cammy stamp a red?  Well, yeah probs.  But have we seen Rangers players do the same?  Betcha.

It sucks.  There are what 40/50 decisions a ref needs to make each game and every one of them affects the flow.  When they ref everyone of them at the very extremes of that grey area in both directions, it isn't the penalties than hurt - the penalties are a result of the rest.  A sum of the parts, I guess.

Look at the diving they've got away with just in their last 2 games, Rangers and Celitc - no yellows, so no build up to suspensions.  The whole thing needs looked at but the thing is the "penalty to Rangers" thing actually masks it all imo.

Do I have any faith the refs will be under pressure to be less obvious?  No.  Not sure they're capable - the whole issue is they're brought up and through the whole West Coast refs cabal to behave this way.  Seen a stat that 74 of our last 75 games against the OF have had a West Coast ref!!! What!?!?!?!

Absolute Scenes
4 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

Maybe... and `at the moment` is the crucial phrase here.  Not enough to call him `a liability` - that's harsh to say the least.  Why come away with this sort of stuff when a player's form dips a bit?  Does nothing to help their confidence.

For us we’ve had too many players dip in form, hence why we didn’t finish 3rd. Cochrane recently, in my opinion, has shown weaknesses defencively. He’s also had a pretty high red card count in a relatively young career, highlighting he has had his fair share of careless moments. It’s not a stick to beat him with nor is it turning on players. It’s simply wanting our players to be at their best (which I know can often feel like a tough ask as realistically players who play consistently well for long periods of time tend to not spend much time in the SPFL.
last season, We effectively handed Aberdeen that euro money. We need our guys to be on the ball, as much as possible. 

4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

It’s just an opinion formed on watching him recently. Last season he was red carded for two identical tackles on Cadden and Maeda at Tynecastle, in a short space of time. This season he hasn’t looked as good as he could be, as we know he can be. 

I don’t disagree that Cochrane hasn’t also contributed, but the number of poor crosses in that barely reach the first man, that are so easily cleared by defences isn’t great. I do genuinely think that we can do better, and it’s clear he is still relatively raw, but in my ideal world, each starting 11 player would be experienced enough to not be labelled as “raw” and have the ability to do simple things consistently, like cross a ball. 

I do look forward to McKay coming as it’ll be interesting to see how Cochrane fares. If he kicks on and improves I’ll hold my hands up

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Mate so much focus on all the penalty Rangers stuff which may be mildly amusing if you're an OF supporter, but if you're actually one of the other 10 teams it's actually a slap in the face.

As I always say, the penalties are the ugly obvious bit, but not the bit that actually makes the difference, not really imo anyway.  The ref needs to find a reason to give or not give them.  There'll be grey area and you know they'll go one way at one end of the park and one way at the other.  BUt at the same time, the situations are not that often.  And it can be highlighted.  

What really really REALLY gets me more is the stuff that never ever gets aired.  The "wee" fouls we don't get in their final third but they get in ours.  The yellow card we get early in the game but their guy doesn't and in fact gets away with a few similar.

These are the things that actually change the course of a game.  The things that allow Rangers and Celitc to stay camped in your half.  So much emphasis put on Rangers' penalty against us.  Soft and shite?  Poor from Haring?  Both!!!  But the fact is that if we'd got the blatant freekick 30 yards out from their goal out on the touchline 90 seconds before they got the corner, none of it happens.  We either keep the ball in the corrner, or we even put it in the box and see if we can make something happen.  Either way, we have territory, possession and the clock ticks down.

THESE are the decisions referees up here will continue to shaft us with.  We had the same against Celtic the week before with a blatant foul on Shanks before they ran up and scored.  Nowt said.  Great counterattack I'll bet.

I lost my shit at a hun who was in the Hearts end last season when Devlin was sent off.  He had it up on his phone showing me how it was a red etc etc.  Among telling him he needed to £$%^ off out my end of the ground, I was trying to get it through to him that it may technically be a red, but does he think a Rangers player would get more than a yellow for the same - Joe Aribo's two footed lunge for example - they just don't see it.

What happens is every "big" moment is looked at in isolation.  So is the Rangers penalty "technically" a penalty.  Well, a lot of the tine, yeah it is.  Has the same been given to every other team who has had a similar offence against them?! No.  Was that Cammy stamp a red?  Well, yeah probs.  But have we seen Rangers players do the same?  Betcha.

It sucks.  There are what 40/50 decisions a ref needs to make each game and every one of them affects the flow.  When they ref everyone of them at the very extremes of that grey area in both directions, it isn't the penalties than hurt - the penalties are a result of the rest.  A sum of the parts, I guess.

Look at the diving they've got away with just in their last 2 games, Rangers and Celitc - no yellows, so no build up to suspensions.  The whole thing needs looked at but the thing is the "penalty to Rangers" thing actually masks it all imo.

Do I have any faith the refs will be under pressure to be less obvious?  No.  Not sure they're capable - the whole issue is they're brought up and through the whole West Coast refs cabal to behave this way.  Seen a stat that 74 of our last 75 games against the OF have had a West Coast ref!!! What!?!?!?!

I could have written that word for word, but I'm glad you did instead :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

On Cochrane, Killie actually switched Armstrong each half to see if they could get more joy on the right, says it all really

Hearts need to go 4-3-3 on wed.

Clark

Kingsley Kent rowles Cochran

Beni denholm Hoff

Oda shanks tagawa

I say this every time we play them and have still to see it applied.

Rangers create so many chances from Tav and barisic it's no even funny.

Press they two and have shanks cover the two cb and they go long.

Match up their 3 in midfield as last few times we have been out numbered.

If we sit off them and let them play it will be several goals to nil.

On Cochrane, Killie actually switched Armstrong each half to see if they could get more joy on the right, says it all really

Yup.  I think people maybe see Armstrong having a good game and htink hes done Cochrane, but if you look at it, he didn't often go past Alex.  His best run was against Grant (who had dilligently covered for Alex who'd just made a really good run that nearly got him in if I remember rightly).  FIrstly, think he was offside anyway, so their best chance of the game wouldnt have counted, but it was the only real time he hurt us other than dead balls.  Otherise, he looked dangerous is all, and he can go both ways and is willing to swing balls in before an FB engages, which is hard to deal with.

I'm just not seeing the thing about Alex not playing well.  He can be rash, I have to admit that, but he also plays with his heart on his sleeve, which I like, so I duno, don't want to take that away.

Don't think he's an issue basically is all I'm saying!

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Agreed, every single player has to tackle them at every level on the pitch. No point allowing their defenders to wander into our half with the ball, it simply allows them to spray passes and open up the defense. Tackle them before the half way line and you have a shorter distance to their goal.

This. And standing off attackers, letting them advance and get a shot away. Boils my blood!

Just now, TheBigO said:

Yup.  I think people maybe see Armstrong having a good game and htink hes done Cochrane, but if you look at it, he didn't often go past Alex.  His best run was against Grant (who had dilligently covered for Alex who'd just made a really good run that nearly got him in if I remember rightly).  FIrstly, think he was offside anyway, so their best chance of the game wouldnt have counted, but it was the only real time he hurt us other than dead balls.  Otherise, he looked dangerous is all, and he can go both ways and is willing to swing balls in before an FB engages, which is hard to deal with.

I'm just not seeing the thing about Alex not playing well.  He can be rash, I have to admit that, but he also plays with his heart on his sleeve, which I like, so I duno, don't want to take that away.

I don't think Cochrane has been as good as he can be so far this season. Not terrible by any means but I have higher expectations from him.

3 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

Hearts need to go 4-3-3 on wed.

Clark

Kingsley Kent rowles Cochran

Beni denholm Hoff

Oda shanks tagawa

I say this every time we play them and have still to see it applied.

Rangers create so many chances from Tav and barisic it's no even funny.

Press they two and have shanks cover the two cb and they go long.

Match up their 3 in midfield as last few times we have been out numbered.

If we sit off them and let them play it will be several goals to nil.

I said same team up above and agree its a good option, covers more bases.

Issue you have is your wide men becoming wingbacks.  I'd be playing this to be brave, push them back rather than the opposite but that's easier said than done and you're leaving your FBs two on one.  In theory I like it, in practice, not so sure I guess!!!

4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I said same team up above and agree its a good option, covers more bases.

Issue you have is your wide men becoming wingbacks.  I'd be playing this to be brave, push them back rather than the opposite but that's easier said than done and you're leaving your FBs two on one.  In theory I like it, in practice, not so sure I guess!!!

If we can press the two full backs up the park it means it will be one v one in the wide areas.

Means oda and tagawa have to match their runs and leave the full backs to deal with their two wide forwards.

I’d be very surprised if Naisy switched to 4 at the back given our recent success. A 3-5-2 still matches them in the middle of the park and we’ve looked a lot more solid defensively 

We_are_the_Hearts
7 minutes ago, Jamb04life said:

I’d be very surprised if Naisy switched to 4 at the back given our recent success. A 3-5-2 still matches them in the middle of the park and we’ve looked a lot more solid defensively 

Correct

9 minutes ago, Jamb04life said:

Agree. Stacking the midfield is our best bet to choking things out. 

Would like to see us go direct too. Think Shanks and Tagawa could have some joy there. 

Ah misread you.  Sorry mate

Yeah, dont mind that.  Th  Iere's definite merit in a back 4 for this one, I really think there is.  And pressing them a bit higher up the park may be more doable in this setup.  

Only thing is the 3 at back has been serving us well, so itd be a big call to change it.  Plus, I'd probably like 3 in midfield which the 352 allows (which still letting us having 2 up front).

Of course the 352 could become 532 or even 541 which can be an issue, so if we stick with it, we need to be brave and still pay high up the park.

I think personally the 352 just shades it for me as it allows us to get more of our best players on the park.  If it's pure personnel, I'd rather have Newy than Forrest (I know not straight swap), so the 352 allows that.

The OTHER option is more of a 433 with your back 4, 3xCM and 3 up top to really chase them down.  Flank Shanks with Tagawa and Oda/Vargas and go smashmouth at them.  This drops Cochrane from the team completely though, which I don't love.

WHo knows!!!!

My original team is still what I think would be best and making use of the bench I would swap Forrest and Cochrane for Oda and Vargas and maybe Hof (or Denholm) for Devlin depending on how he is after his knock on Saturday.

They tend to play a 4 2 3 1 so if Shankland or Tagawa drop deeper which they often do then we can have the three in central mid.

15 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Devlin if fit, is a must start for me. He helps set the tempo in these games and the best way to play them at Tynecastle is pressing them and not letting them get into a rhythm. 

Similarly I'd start Tagawa if Boyce is out as he has real pace and looks strong, gives them something to worry about in behind.

Agree with all that but you know Devlin will get booked early for his first tackle that takes the edge off his game. 🤷‍♂️

Lord Beni of Gorgie
43 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I think we are working well through every player, coach etc. The amount of folk looking for a gripe these days is through the roof. Not just Hearts, everything.

Won 4 in a row for first time in 5 years and folk still wanting a change of manager, its fantastic really, just how angry and upset folk get over nothing

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Agree with all that but you know Devlin will get booked early for his first tackle that takes the edge off his game. 🤷‍♂️

I like Devlin, but I guess this is a big reason he has found himself benched. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Jimbojack said:

Is this game sold out

About 700 left but you need 15 loyalty points I think (or a friend who has)