HP Printer - Ink Cartridges

Stuart Lyon

Bought this replacement ink fro Tesco - Printer recognised it as a refilled HP original and let me print the "alignment" page. The printer won't print when a back print is requested but will print in B&W if Colour is selected? Tried looking on the web for a solution but no luck finding one that works.  Its an HP Office Jet 5200 series printer; can anyone help please?

HP302.png

Doctor FinnBarr
51 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Bought this replacement ink fro Tesco - Printer recognised it as a refilled HP original and let me print the "alignment" page. The printer won't print when a back print is requested but will print in B&W if Colour is selected? Tried looking on the web for a solution but no luck finding one that works.  Its an HP Office Jet 5200 series printer; can anyone help please?

HP302.png

HP printer I had at the time wouldn't even recognise it, had to take it back and buy the HP one.

24 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

HP printer I had at the time wouldn't even recognise it, had to take it back and buy the HP one.

I’m beginning to think that’s what I’ll have to do.

periodictabledancer

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/11/23635168/hp-printer-update-brick-third-party-ink-dynamic-security

HP is preventing more customers from using third-party ink with their printers. Numerous reports scattered across Reddit, Twitter, and the HP community forum suggest that a recent printer firmware update is blocking the use of non-HP ink as part of the company’s stringent “dynamic security” policy, as first reported by Ars Technica.

First introduced in 2016, dynamic security is part of HP’s cartridge authentication process the company says should “protect the quality of our customer experience, maintain the integrity of our printing systems, and protect our intellectual property.” This means barring the use of ink or toner cartridges that do not contain “new or reused HP chips or electronic circuitry” in some printers, something HP has already faced criticism and several class action lawsuits over.

Despite this, it seems HP’s expanding its dynamic security policy to more devices that were once compatible with non-HP cartridges. One Reddit user, u/grhhull, says they’re no longer able to use third-party ink cartridges with their HP printer. Instead of displaying a bypassable message that indicates HP can’t guarantee the quality of their print, u/grhhull says their printer won’t use a third-party cartridge at all.