Booing Baningime Backpasses

BackOfTheNet

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

what is required in these circumstances is width, players who can beat a man, and players who can pick a pass. 

we were far to narrow, Forrest was poor and had no one going beyond him. Lowry, Grant, Shankland and Boyce all want to drop off and play in the same areas.  They try no to but that is their natural inclination 

these games are tough. We dont make it easy on ourselves though. 

They are only easy if you score early and the opposition open up.

We done it v Rangers at Ibrox,  Motherwell yesterday at parkhead,  it's across all leagues.

The next best thing is to give little away, keep a clean sheet and grind out the win.

Last season the clean sheet part was a big issue. In these games we'd concede a daft goal as we couldn't defend high balls.

Even Arsenal are doing it at times.

Since we battered an open Ross county team, most away teams are very defensive.

I'm not sold on Boyce/ Shankland combo either, but it seems the best we've got atm- not another great summer transfer window tbh, outside Kent no one as really made a difference, so far.

Rangers today are playing a very high line, we could do with pace as an option.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Star Lizard

• Bazzas right boot

• Agentjambo

• Luckies1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately we have a massive number of supporters that revel in misery. We can all hear them grizzling away, "I ****ing hate so and so" "why is so and so starting" "Hes Shite" . . All quotes heard within minutes of KO. First slack pass "there you go, hes Shite" and the running commentary of Shiteness begins.

The desire to moan has been passed down from generation to generation imo.

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

The team is on a hiding to nothing in these types of games but what irked me was our drop in individual workrate.  It’s the key in these games.

When a team sits in you have to work harder in possession as much as out of it.  Pull people around, get the ball played on even quicker and ripple off that.  

Players need to do much more on the ball, not just pass and stand.  

It slipped in to a recycling of the ball exercise.  St Johnstone had some wee spells where they worked harder than us, they seemed to find space better than us , be stronger and find each other better in decent positions.  

Yep, good point. I’m delighted with the win yesterday, moreso today as it keeps things ticking over given upcoming fixtures. But I can’t deny that after the first 20 minutes I was disappointed in the overall energy levels and general hunger. I thought the tide had turned in that regard but frankly St Johnstone out worked us and at times we looked timid and dominated physically. I know that Naismith tried to talk up the performance but I don’t believe for a second he’ll privately be happy at a number of individual players who lost one on one battles constantly and took the easy option far too often. Especially given his musings as to bravery on the ball and pass and move at pace etc. I said on another thread certain players are getting plenty opportunities and not grasping them, making it easy for the likes of McKay to stroll back into the side once fit.

11 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Kent is good CH but , when using a defender to make the telling pass/bring ball from defence , Rowles is surely the better option 

yep, that happens when we play a back 4, Kye can carry out of defence.

The game yesterday once again highlighted for me the poor coaching at Hearts.

When in possession our players are static when we should be looking to drag the defenders out and play in behind them.

We don't play balls into the channels for our players to run on to its always to feet.

I watched numerous times yesterday shanks and Boyce about 5 yards away from each other.

Our wide players also pick up the ball far to deep which allows the opposition time to reset.

As for the pass by Beni he didn't even look before he played it to Kent a quick look behind would have shown how much space he had.

Football is a simple game and we seem to over complicate it.

lost in space

I wasn't able to be at the game or see highlights so can't comment on this game.

Since there seems to be a unanimous view on this thread that booing is not acceptable - how else are supporters supposed to show their displeasure?

4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Yep, good point. I’m delighted with the win yesterday, moreso today as it keeps things ticking over given upcoming fixtures. But I can’t deny that after the first 20 minutes I was disappointed in the overall energy levels and general hunger. I thought the tide had turned in that regard but frankly St Johnstone out worked us and at times we looked timid and dominated physically. I know that Naismith tried to talk up the performance but I don’t believe for a second he’ll privately be happy at a number of individual players who lost one on one battles constantly and took the easy option far too often. Especially given his musings as to bravery on the ball and pass and move at pace etc. I said on another thread certain players are getting plenty opportunities and not grasping them, making it easy for the likes of McKay to stroll back into the side once fit.

Aye, agree.  Taking into considering what you say about Naismith….I said to my mate at the game he probably deserves another couple of windows as long as results tick along and we don’t nosedive.

We have to see what he does to turn around the squad, what players he does and doesn’t rate and we see those changes over the next year. We have to see the type of player he really wants in the side. 

Just now, (referring to the workrate point) it’s part of the make up we need to see change and in time that’s down to him and the changes that’ll come. Because if the same things continue long term, then people will start to point the finger at him.  Good change can mean a few things but it’ll primarily come from the players he introduces and his influence.  

Didn't boo, don't boo but did find our performance y'day frustrating. I think some players decision making is questionable and I'm not sure Shankland/Boyce combo is the right one.

It's great we got another 3 points albeit against a side I would expect us to beat. Let's see how we do over the next few games.

If we can bring in a  right back, a midfielder who is prepared to get on the ball and make things happen and target man striker then i think we won't be far away from 3rd. 

Head The Brick
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Although we could/should have been on the front foot more and had more pace about our game, the loud vociferous booing when Baningime played a back pass was stupidly over the top. One of them he was facing his own goal to start with and didn’t know what was behind him for crying out loud.

So, the booers: Naive fans not knowing how football works, or impatient imbeciles venting? Discuss…

Pot and Kettle? On the 2nd occasion (facing his own goal) Beni had all the time in the world to have a look (which he should be doing before receiving the ball) and realize that he has time and space to turn and move forward with the ball. He will almost certainly have received a shout from Kent of "time and or turn" but chose to play the ball 1st time straight back to where it had just arrived from. The fans who have a better view from the stands and a clearer picture of the space available chose to boo in frustration (in huge numbers btw) at the poor decision making of Beni on this occasion.

I reckon that with so many folk actually booing at the same time due to the poor choice of Beni, that the statement in bold above describes the folk who didn't vent there frustration at the lack of game awareness shown by the player. I will say in defense of Beni that it is not like him and his game awareness is usually one of his best attributes.

10 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

The game yesterday once again highlighted for me the poor coaching at Hearts.

When in possession our players are static when we should be looking to drag the defenders out and play in behind them.

We don't play balls into the channels for our players to run on to its always to feet.

I watched numerous times yesterday shanks and Boyce about 5 yards away from each other.

Our wide players also pick up the ball far to deep which allows the opposition time to reset.

As for the pass by Beni he didn't even look before he played it to Kent a quick look behind would have shown how much space he had.

Football is a simple game and we seem to over complicate it.

Agree 100% Our players also pick the ball up often facing their own goals which doesn't help.

Beni was one of our better players I thought and is still getting back to full fitness and lacking that bit of belief. But he is getting there slowly but surely.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

We have some really grim fans . Booing your own players is idiotic and doing it when they complete a pass to their team mate is even more stupid 

One guy came steaming into the gents just before ht complaining loudly about Forrest - ‘why does Naisy keep starting him, he has only scored 3 goals in last 4 seasons for us’   Wasn’t having it when he was told that Forrest has only been playing for us for 18 months and has scored T least double that. Imbeciles. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Lacking ambition?

That makes no sense.

To make forward passes you generally need movement and space.

Giving the ball away just so the pass is forward is also useless, keeping possession is far better than giving it away, especially when winning.

Beni also played a fantastic through ball v Motherwell which led to a goal.

Kicking the ball forward just for the sakes of playing it forward is Lacking bravery, intelligence,  courage and ambition.

No, it entirely makes sense and feeds into why Naismith is constantly asking the players to be braver. If we're more adventorus and ambitious with what we're trying to do on the ball to break down the other team the crowd won't boo. The volume of backwards passes breeds more negativity and I think the crowd are largely wise to it. You can almost sense when a player has no idea what they want to do with the ball and are just taking an easy pass to pass on that responsibility to someone else - we all want to see players taking more ownership, Rowles for example against Killie had a fantastic run which created Grants goal. Rather than passing the ball on and absolving himself of responsibility, he took ownership of it and made something happen. Actually think that was a big turning point in his form this season too. He's been excellent since. 

Beni playing that great through ball is just proof of why we need to be more ambitious in possession. The quality is there and the players CAN do it. 

I'm not saying NO BACKWARDS PASSES EVER!!! But I am saying that we should move the ball with purpose and particularly when Kent and Rowles are squaring the ball back to one another, there isn't a feeling of much purpose in how we're moving the ball - that leads to frustration from fans. 

As well, if this leads to us losing the ball more, then I say good. Lets force the other team to do something with the ball and rely on our quality to win the ball back and ideally catch them in transition to get a half chance/ full chance at getting a decent shot off. 

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

One guy came steaming into the gents just before ht complaining loudly about Forrest - ‘why does Naisy keep starting him, he has only scored 3 goals in last 4 seasons for us’   Wasn’t having it when he was told that Forrest has only been playing for us for 18 months and has scored T least double that. Imbeciles. 

The toilet bawlers are a hoot . I could picture the exact scene as you described it . Smash the door open and bawl out the complaints while you are just trying to have a piss in peace . Even better when someone calmly points out they are talking shite :lol: 

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

No, it entirely makes sense and feeds into why Naismith is constantly asking the players to be braver. If we're more adventorus and ambitious with what we're trying to do on the ball to break down the other team the crowd won't boo. The volume of backwards passes breeds more negativity and I think the crowd are largely wise to it. You can almost sense when a player has no idea what they want to do with the ball and are just taking an easy pass to pass on that responsibility to someone else - we all want to see players taking more ownership, Rowles for example against Killie had a fantastic run which created Grants goal. Rather than passing the ball on and absolving himself of responsibility, he took ownership of it and made something happen. Actually think that was a big turning point in his form this season too. He's been excellent since. 

Beni playing that great through ball is just proof of why we need to be more ambitious in possession. The quality is there and the players CAN do it. 

I'm not saying NO BACKWARDS PASSES EVER!!! But I am saying that we should move the ball with purpose and particularly when Kent and Rowles are squaring the ball back to one another, there isn't a feeling of much purpose in how we're moving the ball - that leads to frustration from fans. 

As well, if this leads to us losing the ball more, then I say good. Lets force the other team to do something with the ball and rely on our quality to win the ball back and ideally catch them in transition to get a half chance/ full chance at getting a decent shot off. 

Good post. You’ve accurately explained very well what’s been happening. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We do miss a pacey striker,  but not yesterday.

There was no space behind yesterday to play balls behind.

I'd like us to have the option.

Aye it’s not an option when the opposition just camp in and sit everyone behind the ball. I think a big target man  would be handy as an option when teams play that way against us. 

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

Good post.  Agree with other posters saying about movement ahead of the ball but there was quite a few times in the second half when we refused to nip the ball through to Boyce or Shankland who had come off that half yard to make themselves available…..that’s the bravery Naismith could be talking about.  Oda did it when he came on, zipped balls in as soon as he saw movement ahead of him.

In the first half for the opening 15, 20 mins we did get balls into the forwards and worked off them.  Slowly, we lost belief and confidence in doing that and it really isn’t good enough. It’s like we got nervy because we weren’t in front, and as I say, it was more evident in the second period until the winner.  

Even guys like Kingsley who isn’t a kid anymore, started to look apprehensive, needing encouragement from the stands to go around Forrest or Oda who went inside….just to give an option further up and wider.  It’s like players switch off or lose concentration.  

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, OTT said:

Nah, punting it away or playing aimless forward passes is the opposite of ambition and bravery. 

It's lazy and lacks intelligence.

Keeping possession, recycling it, showing patience despite arseholes booing is the definition of bravery and ambition.

Ofc good players can drive forward more often and make better and quicker decisions  but Beni is good at our level in that regard.

Fort Vallance
2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Although we could/should have been on the front foot more and had more pace about our game, the loud vociferous booing when Baningime played a back pass was stupidly over the top. One of them he was facing his own goal to start with and didn’t know what was behind him for crying out loud.

So, the booers: Naive fans not knowing how football works, or impatient imbeciles venting? Discuss…

Some of our own fans are muppets. Yesterday because we hadn't scored after half an hour they're getting restless. That clearly gets to the players and they take less risks. The opposition get a lift and it gets even harder. Livingston game was the same. Some of them need to realise the game lasts 90 minutes. 

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

On the two or three occasions he did it there wasn't much else as an option. The Boos would have been even louder if he'd lost the ball trying to make a forward pass.

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

Frustration with our tactics. He did it twice in succession.  

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

We have some really grim fans . Booing your own players is idiotic and doing it when they complete a pass to their team mate is even more stupid 

On the two or three occasions he did it there wasn't much else as an option. The Boos would have been even louder if he'd lost the ball trying to make a forward pass.

3 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Some of our own fans are muppets. Yesterday because we hadn't scored after half an hour they're getting restless. That clearly gets to the players and they take less risks. The opposition get a lift and it gets even harder. Livingston game was the same. Some of them need to realise the game lasts 90 minutes. 

You could see it affect Forrest, who started brightly. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Agreed, but booing your own player recycling the ball and keeping possession?

:vrface:

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Yip, opposition managers openly state that as a tactic and these types play their role in the pantomime perfectly.

Muppets is correct.

Booing a back pass from a midfielder to a CH when 1-0 up is a certain kind of special tho.

Next level muppet behaviour.

Apparently Kent made the most passes yesterday (100). Next most, Rowles, with 67! 🤔  We are still lacking the quality and balance in midfield. 

39 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Pot and Kettle? On the 2nd occasion (facing his own goal) Beni had all the time in the world to have a look (which he should be doing before receiving the ball) and realize that he has time and space to turn and move forward with the ball. He will almost certainly have received a shout from Kent of "time and or turn" but chose to play the ball 1st time straight back to where it had just arrived from. The fans who have a better view from the stands and a clearer picture of the space available chose to boo in frustration (in huge numbers btw) at the poor decision making of Beni on this occasion.

I reckon that with so many folk actually booing at the same time due to the poor choice of Beni, that the statement in bold above describes the folk who didn't vent there frustration at the lack of game awareness shown by the player. I will say in defense of Beni that it is not like him and his game awareness is usually one of his best attributes.

Why would Kent almost have certainly said that? I didn’t see him point or mouth anything. St. Johnstone started closing our midfield down after our good start, Baningime received the ball and didn’t look, yes, but if he chooses to turn and Phillips is on him he’s in trouble, he made a call not knowing what was behind him. Frustrating? Of course. But also a perfectly understandable decision for the player to make? Most definitely.

It is a shame that this is the topic of conversation after winning our third game in a row . Is it fair to say some of our supporters will never be happy regardless

Talked about by the players and coaches at half time when booed at 0-0 a d the backpasses at full time

Can't imagine it's doing our players any good 

1 minute ago, Albert McFly said:

Talked about by the players and coaches at half time when booed at 0-0 a d the backpasses at full time

Can't imagine it's doing our players any good 

Of course it isnt but some just cant help themselves . It is the main reason some people go to watch us 

I felt that Devlin and Beni had a decent understanding, and could find each other with short passes to get through tight marking.  Grant hasn't played all that much lately.

It wasn't Beni's best game for sure, but booing a player usually leads to them playing worse.  

Sometimes we don't play long passes, cross balls, and the wee passes give teams time to shuffle across.  I thought that was our problem yesterday.

Delighted to have Beni back, rate him very highly, albeit he's not back to where he was pre-injury as yet.

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

It was a build up of fans frustrations over the relentless sideward and backwards passing from our team.

Seems without Ginnelly in the team we no longer play long balls in behind.

To be fair, you can only really play long balls in behind if the opposition defence steps up and vacates that area. It never really happened against St Johnstone, because tactically they were setup to hit on the counter and stay solid in defence. Shankland can win a header, but he's not a traditional Sandy Clark style target man, flicking the ball on for willing runners.

Which leads us to trying to go through the middle of the park, hoping to open up the defence with intricate passing, utilising the touch of players like Boyce, Lowrie and Shankland. It worked well early in the game on one memorable occasion which nearly culminated in a goal for Cochrane. Actually, our goal came from similar play through the thirds with Shanks coming short to build the play from deep, in fact most of our chances came through that style of play.

I guess its a case of injuries dictating playing style more than anything just now. But there is no doubt fear of a misplaced pass will weigh heavily on players minds given the general reaction of our fans towards that kind of behaviour...

2 hours ago, Ford Prentice said:

I didn't boo but I did groan and moan and on one occasion swore loudly. St Johnstone were happy to have Kent on the ball and Beni just passed it back to him again and again and again. The time that got the loudest response was a pass back to Kent when Beni was in the opposition half and had clear options ahead, passing back to Kent looked harder than passing it forward. Disappointment with the lack of imagination and bravery on the ball was neither naive nor imbecilic, if anything the crowd was very patient given how bloody awful most of it was to watch.

Yep him and Kent on the ball tested my patience yesterday . Kent in particular seemed too indecisive at times and Ben made numerous sloppy errors . 

I reckon Levein knew exactly what he was doing by having his whole team back, no press and a high defensive line. 

Frustrate us and ultimately get the crowd on the players back.

2 hours ago, Russ1977 said:

In games like yesterday it would be handy having a target man on the bench to bring on and give us a different option. Shankland and Boyce are both good players but they are very similar. 

totally agreed re target man alternative ! but re our two main strikers - except one is a natural scorer - the other has a barn door spring to mind, with chances to games/goals ratio. 

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

He shouldn't have received the passes in the first place. 

4 hours ago, Russ1977 said:

With shankland and Boyce up front it’s pointless playing balls in behind as they’ve zero pace. 

Yes that was my point

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

I reckon Levein knew exactly what he was doing by having his whole team back, no press and a high defensive line. 

Frustrate us and ultimately get the crowd on the players back.

Absolutely right there! 

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Yes that was my point

Really keen to see Tagawa playing off of Shanks. 

As has already been discussed, think Boyce is too similar (just without the goals). 

3 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Agree with all that.  Whilst I suspect that Forrest was on to give cover to Kingsley (who had a good game) he spent most time on one dimensional runs to the by line instead of mixing it and cutting inside looking for the shot.

I can't understand why Oda and or Vargas were not brought on sooner or either as starters.

As for Beni ( I will never boo any of our  players regardless of how poor they are playing) he was frustratingly negative for a player who  has so much talent and ability to take the ball forward, which indeed he did latterly when we had more attacking momentum.

11 minutes ago, OTT said:

Really keen to see Tagawa playing off of Shanks. 

As has already been discussed, think Boyce is too similar (just without the goals). 

Yip, want this too 

1 minute ago, chrystaf said:

Agree with all that.  Whilst I suspect that Forrest was on to give cover to Kingsley (who had a good game) he spent most time on one dimensional runs to the by line instead of mixing it and cutting inside looking for the shot.

I can't understand why Oda and or Vargas were not brought on sooner or either as starters.

As for Beni ( I will never boo any of our  players regardless of how poor they are playing) he was frustratingly negative for a player who  has so much talent and ability to take the ball forward, which indeed he did latterly when we had more attacking momentum.

I think it's worth noting that Forrest, Grant, Boyce were all in training over the international break whilst Vargas and Oda were away in Central America and the Middle East respectively. At least that's the theory I'm clinging too when it comes to the selections of the former names yesterday!

If there was a monthly award for running towards the byeline and hitting it off the defender standing immediately in front of you then Forrest would have wrapped it up yesterday!  Beni's confidence is the issue for me. I think his match legs are improving but he needs to now step up and show he's one of the best midfielders in the league outside of Glasgow. We need him to take games and dominate that area. He is capable but he needs to be more courageous on the ball in trying to make more decisive things happen. 

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

I think it's worth noting that Forrest, Grant, Boyce were all in training over the international break whilst Vargas and Oda were away in Central America and the Middle East respectively. At least that's the theory I'm clinging too when it comes to the selections of the former names yesterday!

If there was a monthly award for running towards the byeline and hitting it off the defender standing immediately in front of you then Forrest would have wrapped it up yesterday!  Beni's confidence is the issue for me. I think his match legs are improving but he needs to now step up and show he's one of the best midfielders in the league outside of Glasgow. We need him to take games and dominate that area. He is capable but he needs to be more courageous on the ball in trying to make more decisive things happen. 

Good points.  Beni needs to lead again and not to follow.

3 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Good points.  Beni needs to lead again and not to follow.

I fear Beni is still a bit worried of another injury 

Edited by Gorgierools

RustyRightPeg

Some brain dead arseholes in our support. St Johnstone 11 men behind the ball, so let’s force it eh. 

Beni tries a hard ball and gives it away, no doubt they’d still boo. Morons. 

Perth to Paisley
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Won't be wanting another contract. 

He will be, just it will be a more lucrative contract away from us. He realised during his injury period its a short career and another injury might be his last. He needs the reassurance of a bigger pay out, should that happen.

We were always just going to be 'thankful'  for having him - pity his appearances on the pitch have been curtailed.

What might have been....

😗😗

7 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Sick to the back teeth of these fans who think booing the team/player/passages of play is called for, absolutely grinds ma' bones. 

I know for a fact the players are mightily pissed off at the fans too for the regular booing especially as the half time whistle is sounded. 

The Auld Prick in lower Section C next to the camera stand needs to choose a different pastime in my opinion...

"**** off Hearts this is ****ing shite, Leveins standing laughing at us" was one of the few verbal bullshit comments that came out his mouth on Saturday. 

7 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I don't understand the people who moan when we're 1-0 up and Kent isn't moving the ball quickly enough.

They were still backs to the wall defending. Let him wait as long as it takes for them to come to him so we can draw them out.

We're winning 🤷‍♂️

Yes, that's what I was thinking. People getting impatient when we were under no pressure at all.

When I did groan loudly yesterday was a number of occasions when one of our forwards took an ambitious shot when they had options to make a simple pass to a team-mate in a better position. That's profligacy. Tippy tappy at the back when we're ahead is fine by me.