Dublin Stabbings

JyTees

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Immigration is a great thing.

multi-culturalism is a great thing .

we need more immigration.

not less.

I vastly prefer most immigrants I know to  most natives I know.

My kids friends are mostly the children of immigrants ( almost exclusively in fact )

hard working , polite, well presented .

great ethics about them.

I’d run immigration on a 1 in and 1 our policy .

admit one person willing to work , and shop out a local who isn’t .

Keep kidding yourself 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Ulysses

• Sooks

• il Duce McTarkin

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Thanks for that.

I know exactly where you are talking about on Sackville Street(naughty, naughty, John😉), having been there as recently as Aug 2019. May I recommend to anyone visiting the audio tour of the GPO on O'Connell Street, it is excellent.

I had read a few RTE reports online and watched the interview of the lady who ran across the street. Who I believe had been attending an inquiry into a nightclub fire from 1981? Longtime for an inquiry to be held. Forty Two years.

I agree more thuggery by neds to do a bit of unabashed pilfering and looting using the horrendous stabbing as am excuse. Very poor excuse at that.

I’d imagine it’s this …

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_fire

I remember it at the time, can’t believe it’s over 40 years ago.

My thanks to Ulysses as well.

New Town Loafer
10 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Scotland needs immigration.

Scotland, like the rest of Europe, needs its native people to have more children.

19 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Scotland, like the rest of Europe, needs its native people to have more children.

Picts, Celts or who?

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

It looks like it is another example of tragic events being committed by a baddie being capitalised upon by folk with an agenda to incite a mob who don't know any better. 

I'm not surprised to see who is joining in. 

Sadly, there is truth in this.

Videos all over social media showing mobs attacking lone police officers, charity tins being lifted out of businesses, businesses being looted, hotels set on fire etc.

What any of that achieves is anyones guess.

46 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Scotland needs immigration.

Controlled immigration not the everyone's welcome shit they do over there and the type people promote here.

5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I'll take that as my cue, cheers. 

Like a lot of people, a lot of what I know is based on news reports.  However, not all of it, as I was in the city centre for several hours earlier this evening.  I was at a social event with former workmates just a couple of hundred metres off O'Connell Street, and only a 5-10 minute walk from where the stabbings took place.  At about 5:30 pm I stopped at a Burger King next to O'Connell Bridge, which is where the rioters burned out a couple of buses later on.

The stabbing incident took place earlier in the afternoon on Parnell Square East, outside an Irish-medium primary school which also houses a childcare facility, when the kids were leaving school at around 1:30 pm.  Apparently a number of passers-by intervened to stop the stabbings and disarm the attacker, including a woman who ran across the street to confront him, and a Deliveroo moped rider who jumped off his bike, took off his helmet and used it to beat the attacker.  The attacker was injured and taken to hospital.  His injuries are described as serious, and he was also arrested. A 5-year old girl and a woman in her 30s were taken to hospital with serious injuries.  Two other children - a boy and a girl - were taken to hospital with more minor injuries, and the boy has since been discharged.  The attacker was earlier described as in his 50s, but later reports say he is in his 40s, and it has been reported that he migrated to Ireland more than 20 years ago and is now a citizen of the State.

A police cordon was put on the street and remained in place for several hours.  Later in the afternoon, a group of protesters gathered at the site of one of the police cordons, at the north end of O'Connell Street.  By any accounts I've read, the group waved some flags and banners with anti-immigration messages, and had what you'd call a noisy but peaceful protest.  After dark (which of course is quite early these days) a much larger group of younger males began to gather at the scene.  It's not clear whether the original protesters stayed there or moved on, but the younger group were not behaving in a peaceful manner, and began to disrupt traffic, pedestrians, and the cross-city tram lines which were close by.  

The police made the decision to press the group away from the cordon, and they temporarily dispersed.  But soon after a much larger group of young males returned to O'Connell Street, and it is from this point on that the property damage and violent behaviour happened as reported in the news.  Most of the incidents happened in a straight line along O'Connell Street and a short distance either side (for scale, think of the stretch of Princes Street from the Mound to Lothian Road).  The big incidents as described in the news were that a couple of cars, a tram car and (I think) 3 buses were set alight, all within a couple of hundred metres of each other.  An attempt was made to break into a hotel at the top of O'Connell Street and to set its reception area on fire.  It seems the logic was that the hotel is being used to house migrants - but as far as I know it's a regular tourist hotel, and its Google and Tripadvisor reviews seem to confirm that.  A number of shops were also looted - and yes, sorry for the cliché, but it was more or less all sportswear, menswear and electrical, with not much danger of the bookshops getting broken into.  There were also reports of a couple of attacks on people who were foreign or who "looked foreign", including at least one Deliveroo rider.

The event I was attending was in a well-protected secure building.  We were advised by police that it would be better to stay where we were until things quietened down, which is what we did.  At around 11, we were let know that things were a lot quieter, but when going home to avoid one or two streets that still had police cordons and if possible to drive rather than walk - in order to avoid occasional groups of teenage males who were engaging in anti-social and harassing behaviour.  The bigger problem at that stage was that the cross-city bus and tram services had been suspended.  I drove out of the city, and it was about as quiet or busy as any other Thursday at that time.

For a bit of context, the area I've described is on the fringe of the poorest, most deprived and most alienated district in Ireland - an area which has been the very essence of poor, drug-ridden, depressed Dublin for over two centuries.  It is gangland central, and I recall one news article from the 90s saying that nearly half of Ireland's property crime could be traced to about 1,000 people living in that district.  And so, not surprisingly, it has more than its fair share of what you'd call neds.  Normally they keep a low enough profile, and most of them couldn't give a crap about immigration or indeed any political topic.  But tonight they got cover for a bit of serious troublemaking, and IMO they took their chance.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out over the next few days.  There might be a bit of replaying or copycat stuff over the next night or two, or it might calm down.  The attack at the school was appalling and shocking, and it's not yet known what the attacker's motivation was.  I have a gut feeling that as the news unfolds it'll turn out that there's more to this than meets the eye, but I have no evidence at all of that and I'm not even sure what makes me think it.  Equally, it's hard to say how much of what went on afterwards was "far right protest" and how much was plain old-fashioned ned behaviour.  First of all, while some of the protesters at the site were probably "far right", I'd guess that others were locals who were just shocked by the incident.  Likewise, while no doubt they wanted to protest and gripe, and maybe even some of that might have been motivated by xenophobia, I don't think they planned for a couple of hundred teenage neds to show up and start making trouble.  Maybe I'm just being naïve, but I think the police Commissioner's take that this was "led" by far right elements is too much of a stretch.  On the other hand the later description by the operational Superintendent that it was more thuggery than protest rings more true.

Anyway, I must go into town more often on Thursday night.  :laugh: :eek: 

Thanks for posting. 👍

I skimmed by the obvious nonsense posts. Bams out in force as usual last night. Liked the bit about no book shops being broken into. Sums it up. 
The culprit was an Irish citizen…just the wrong colour ! 

il Duce McTarkin

Like a lot of people, a lot of what I know is based on news reports.  However, not all of it, as I was in the city centre for several hours earlier this evening.  I was at a social event with former workmates just a couple of hundred metres off O'Connell Street, and only a 5-10 minute walk from where the stabbings took place.  At about 5:30 pm I stopped at a Burger King next to O'Connell Bridge, which is where the rioters burned out a couple of buses later on.

The stabbing incident took place earlier in the afternoon on Parnell Square East, outside an Irish-medium primary school which also houses a childcare facility, when the kids were leaving school at around 1:30 pm.  Apparently a number of passers-by intervened to stop the stabbings and disarm the attacker, including a woman who ran across the street to confront him, and a Deliveroo moped rider who jumped off his bike, took off his helmet and used it to beat the attacker.  The attacker was injured and taken to hospital.  His injuries are described as serious, and he was also arrested. A 5-year old girl and a woman in her 30s were taken to hospital with serious injuries.  Two other children - a boy and a girl - were taken to hospital with more minor injuries, and the boy has since been discharged.  The attacker was earlier described as in his 50s, but later reports say he is in his 40s, and it has been reported that he migrated to Ireland more than 20 years ago and is now a citizen of the State.

A police cordon was put on the street and remained in place for several hours.  Later in the afternoon, a group of protesters gathered at the site of one of the police cordons, at the north end of O'Connell Street.  By any accounts I've read, the group waved some flags and banners with anti-immigration messages, and had what you'd call a noisy but peaceful protest.  After dark (which of course is quite early these days) a much larger group of younger males began to gather at the scene.  It's not clear whether the original protesters stayed there or moved on, but the younger group were not behaving in a peaceful manner, and began to disrupt traffic, pedestrians, and the cross-city tram lines which were close by.  

The police made the decision to press the group away from the cordon, and they temporarily dispersed.  But soon after a much larger group of young males returned to O'Connell Street, and it is from this point on that the property damage and violent behaviour happened as reported in the news.  Most of the incidents happened in a straight line along O'Connell Street and a short distance either side (for scale, think of the stretch of Princes Street from the Mound to Lothian Road).  The big incidents as described in the news were that a couple of cars, a tram car and (I think) 3 buses were set alight, all within a couple of hundred metres of each other.  An attempt was made to break into a hotel at the top of O'Connell Street and to set its reception area on fire.  It seems the logic was that the hotel is being used to house migrants - but as far as I know it's a regular tourist hotel, and its Google and Tripadvisor reviews seem to confirm that.  A number of shops were also looted - and yes, sorry for the cliché, but it was more or less all sportswear, menswear and electrical, with not much danger of the bookshops getting broken into.  There were also reports of a couple of attacks on people who were foreign or who "looked foreign", including at least one Deliveroo rider.

The event I was attending was in a well-protected secure building.  We were advised by police that it would be better to stay where we were until things quietened down, which is what we did.  At around 11, we were let know that things were a lot quieter, but when going home to avoid one or two streets that still had police cordons and if possible to drive rather than walk - in order to avoid occasional groups of teenage males who were engaging in anti-social and harassing behaviour.  The bigger problem at that stage was that the cross-city bus and tram services had been suspended.  I drove out of the city, and it was about as quiet or busy as any other Thursday at that time.

For a bit of context, the area I've described is on the fringe of the poorest, most deprived and most alienated district in Ireland - an area which has been the very essence of poor, drug-ridden, depressed Dublin for over two centuries.  It is gangland central, and I recall one news article from the 90s saying that nearly half of Ireland's property crime could be traced to about 1,000 people living in that district.  And so, not surprisingly, it has more than its fair share of what you'd call neds.  Normally they keep a low enough profile, and most of them couldn't give a crap about immigration or indeed any political topic.  But tonight they got cover for a bit of serious troublemaking, and IMO they took their chance.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out over the next few days.  There might be a bit of replaying or copycat stuff over the next night or two, or it might calm down.  The attack at the school was appalling and shocking, and it's not yet known what the attacker's motivation was.  I have a gut feeling that as the news unfolds it'll turn out that there's more to this than meets the eye, but I have no evidence at all of that and I'm not even sure what makes me think it.  Equally, it's hard to say how much of what went on afterwards was "far right protest" and how much was plain old-fashioned ned behaviour.  First of all, while some of the protesters at the site were probably "far right", I'd guess that others were locals who were just shocked by the incident.  Likewise, while no doubt they wanted to protest and gripe, and maybe even some of that might have been motivated by xenophobia, I don't think they planned for a couple of hundred teenage neds to show up and start making trouble.  Maybe I'm just being naïve, but I think the police Commissioner's take that this was "led" by far right elements is too much of a stretch.  On the other hand the later description by the operational Superintendent that it was more thuggery than protest rings more true.

Thanks for that. I hope you're managing to behave yourself...

Excellent posting . Thanks . You did make me laugh when you noted no book shops were raided 😂 shame as I’m looking to buy Barbra Streisand autobiography but it’s like £35 😂 as an aside I was in Dublin in 2007 to see Ms Streisand and it is a beautiful city full of lovely Irish people !! That accent 🙏

40 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Get shagging everyone.

I will . But doubt my contribution will increase the population😂

13 hours ago, Negan said:

more often than not it is immigrants causing these horrible acts. Why? I dont know, but recently it has been.

Where's your evidence for this?

2 hours ago, TallPaul said:

Keep kidding yourself 

I'd rather live in a Scotland full of immigrants than a Scotland full of the likes of you. No offence meant, obviously. 

1 hour ago, New Town Loafer said:

Can you say that in Gaelic or Pictish?

4 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

I'd rather live in a Scotland full of immigrants than a Scotland full of the likes of you. No offence meant, obviously. 

I'd probably prefer them over you. They might be capable of a grown up discussion without firing out personal insults at anyone who may disagree. 

Good post.

The poor cause chaos for decades but one guy who's been here for 20 years does similar and it's all immigrants now...

Poverty is the problem not immigration. 

Was glad to hear last night the locals were unhappy, taking to the streets and not standing for women and children being stabbed.

Then the reports of looting and rioting started and i was disgusted.

Keep kidding yourself 

It’s not gangs of immigrant kids roaming around causing havoc .

Or settling off fireworks , or rioting in niddrie or Dundee.

It is immigrant kids doing best in exams , well in uni and excelling generally.

They strive upwards, not sink downwards despite their low start.

nicer folk you couldn’t meet.

Humble, polite, hard working .

the odd bad one, but most of the problems here are entirely native.

the immigrants dilute our problems

4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Immigration is a great thing.

multi-culturalism is a great thing .

we need more immigration.

not less.

I vastly prefer most immigrants I know to  most natives I know.

My kids friends are mostly the children of immigrants ( almost exclusively in fact )

hard working , polite, well presented .

great ethics about them.

I’d run immigration on a 1 in and 1 our policy .

admit one person willing to work , and shop out a local who isn’t .

You're in Ayrshire? It's 98% Scottish/British there so you must have a small circle of friends.

It seems like a lot of counties are experiencing the negative effects of letting in unvetted immigrants without due care and attention.

Sweden seems to have realised that they are not all budding brain surgeons and engineering geniuses.

It will get worse before it gets any better IMO.

Anyway hopefully those kids will recover but they will be traumatised for life as will most who witnessed it. Doubt they will ever feel safe again.

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

You're in Ayrshire? It's 98% Scottish/British there so you must have a small circle of friends.

Kids are at school in glasgow .

my profession has very large numbers of  immigrants.

there is the occasional issue - low grade homophobia, some anti white cultural stuff.

but nothing you don’t hear from some natives .

They have been very welcoming to our kids, and it’s GOOD to share cultures and opinions.

My middle sons mates are about 20% white , 20% jewish and 60 % Asian.

My other 2 kids mates about the same .

These kids are not raised as bigots so all get on well because they are , well, race blind.

They see their friends, not a race or religion 

5 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

there is the occasional issue - low grade homophobia, some anti white cultural stuff.

They have been very welcoming to our kids, and it’s GOOD to share cultures and opinions.

These kids are not raised as bigots so all get on well because they are , well, race blind.

Controlled immigration is a wonderful thing. We need doctors, nurses and the best of the rest who want to integrate and build better lives for themselves here.

Uncontrolled immigration is disastrous.

17 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It’s not gangs of immigrant kids roaming around causing havoc .

Or settling off fireworks , or rioting in niddrie or Dundee.

It is immigrant kids doing best in exams , well in uni and excelling generally.

They strive upwards, not sink downwards despite their low start.

nicer folk you couldn’t meet.

Humble, polite, hard working .

the odd bad one, but most of the problems here are entirely native.

the immigrants dilute our problems

Agreed.

I disagree with poverty as an excuse too. Many born into poverty who have done well for themselves by sticking to those good Scot's traits. Sticking in at school and hardwork.

Which is far more apparent in the immigrants than the natives nowadays.

11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Agreed.

I disagree with poverty as an excuse too. Many born into poverty who have done well for themselves by sticking to those good Scot's traits. Sticking in at school and hardwork.

Which is far more apparent in the immigrants than the natives nowadays.

As for the great displacement theory.

Many people need shaken from their entitled complacency.

Shooter McGavin
31 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

So it was an immigrant that took down the attacker?

Bit of a tricky one for the "GET 'EM ALL OUT!" merchants...

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

That’ll fry their brains !

Great to se a good-guy immigrant selflessly take on the bad-guy immigrant.

15 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

My eldest's best mate at primary school is a laddie born in Lebanon after his parents had to flee Syria, where his big sister was born in their ancestral village.

Another baby boy on it's way in the next month or so, so this one will be Scottish by birth. Both parents attending college to perfect their English.

The 5 year old taches my son words in Arabic, and the 9 year old sister acts as translator between us and the parents when the English gets a bit much for them. 

She learned English in both Syria and Lebanon, and speaks like a native. Jock accent and all.

It's obviously tragic when shit goes down like in Dublin yesterday, but it pains me when folk jump on the anti-immigration bandwagon, and the folk that they have in mind would include the family that I'm on about. Brown, Middle-Eastern, Arabic speakers. 

The tone of popular discourse has taken a worrying turn for the worse, but the blame for this lies partially at the feet of those political parties who would rather use rabble-rousing sound-bites to win votes, than take the more difficult path of honest, grown-up, public debate. 

7 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

So it was an immigrant that took down the attacker?

Bit of a tricky one for the "GET 'EM ALL OUT!" merchants...

Yep it seems so . 😎To be honest I didn’t really take that much notice of his origin . I was applauding his selfish human Action . Him being or not being an immigrant was irrelevant to me . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

35 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

A good education and parents who believe in that certainly helps. 

Just now, Des Lynam said:

A good education and parents who believe in that certainly helps. 

We still have parents teaching their kids that catholics/ Protestants are bad.

it’s only taken half a millennia to reduce it to an irritating football issue.

1 hour ago, TallPaul said:

Screenshot_20231124-095244.png

So you're saying more often than not it's immigrants doing things and your evidence is 1 murder? A heinous act but not exactly overwhelming proof, unless you can prove that 0 murders of women have happened in Ireland in the same timescale.

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

parents teaching their kids that catholics/ Protestants are bad.

Probably a few are on this ! 

1 hour ago, TallPaul said:

I'd probably prefer them over you. They might be capable of a grown up discussion without firing out personal insults at anyone who may disagree. 

You can ****ing talk. 

Lots of footage of young white males, filming themselves laughing and cheering as they carry on looting shops and wrecking their own city. 

Still, immigration eh? 

24 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Great to se a good-guy immigrant selflessly take on the bad-guy immigrant.

My eldest's best mate at primary school is a laddie born in Lebanon after his parents had to flee Syria, where his big sister was born in their ancestral village.

Another baby boy on it's way in the next month or so, so this one will be Scottish by birth. Both parents attending college to perfect their English.

The 5 year old taches my son words in Arabic, and the 9 year old sister acts as translator between us and the parents when the English gets a bit much for them. 

She learned English in both Syria and Lebanon, and speaks like a native. Jock accent and all.

It's obviously tragic when shit goes down like in Dublin yesterday, but it pains me when folk jump on the anti-immigration bandwagon, and the folk that they have in mind would include the family that I'm on about. Brown, Middle-Eastern, Arabic speakers. 

The tone of popular discourse has taken a worrying turn for the worse, but the blame for this lies partially at the feet of those political parties who would rather use rabble-rousing sound-bites to win votes, than take the more difficult path of honest, grown-up, public debate. 

Great post, mate.

If there’s one thread that’ll make the xenophobes look even more ridiculous than they already are..this is it !

Edited by Boab

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

So you're saying more often than not it's immigrants doing things and your evidence is 1 murder? A heinous act but not exactly overwhelming proof, unless you can prove that 0 murders of women have happened in Ireland in the same timescale.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/23/afghan-asylum-seeker-murdered-aspiring-royal-marine/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/19/moroccan-asylum-seeker-charged-murder-pensioner-terrorism/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/dana-abdullah-paedophile-illegal-immigrant-stoke-trent-fenton-murder-a8855766.html

Still though everybody welcome Eh

10 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Lots of footage of young white males, filming themselves laughing and cheering as they carry on looting shops and wrecking their own city. 

Still, immigration eh? 

Viva the revolution. 

i wish jj was my dad

Controlled immigration not the everyone's welcome shit they do over there and the type people promote here.

I can't speak for Ireland but maybe if there was sufficient investment in the home office to deliver the necessary services rather than wasting the money on ludicrous schemes like Rwanda or putting people on boats the UKG would be able to control immigration more effectively. 

That thing you do
16 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

I know we have a number of posters from Ireland or at least based there who will be far better informed on these things than me but would I be right in saying that things are turning ugly over immigration? I'd noticed over the last few days a lot coming up on Twitter about the horrific Ashling Murphy murder and comment from the likes of Connor McGregor and other notable voices. This afternoon's events, and the stabbing of children and woman, the perpetrator appears to be another immigrant, seem to have inflamed an already precarious situation and the temperature appears to be at boiling point. Seeing lots of videos of it kicking off in Dublin in this last wee while. So is this a tipping point for a border that has welcomed huge numbers of immigrants? 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/17/ashling-murphy-man-jailed-life-murdering-irish-teacher

Sure immigration is the cause of this because its an immigrant that did it but if everyone takes a step back..

1) Why didnt the immigrant integrate?

2) What does the Irish Government do to help immigrants integrate? In Germany, my wife and I both got offered German cultural lessons and language lessons from the City of Berlin.

3) What checks are done?

4) Are there any good news stories about what immigrants have done? How many good news stories are needed to offset one appalling act?

This is a knee jerk get them all out scenario. The anger should be at the Irish authorities to sort their systems out and re-implement border checks if necesary for some nationalities or all as part of it (and yes they can do that)

New Town Loafer
1 hour ago, Australis said:

Was glad to hear last night the locals were unhappy, taking to the streets and not standing for women and children being stabbed.

Then the reports of looting and rioting started and i was disgusted.

Yes, it’s a shame but you can see their frustration. A recent, peaceful march against immigration took place and instead of dialogue the protesters received abuse and tarred with the ‘racist’ and ‘far-right’ brush. It’s inevitable that this would occur at some point, unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Viva the revolution. 

This story suggests to me that the issue is with the white youths .

out of control, badly brought up , mal contents .

I have more in common with the nations immigrants , than many of my fellow Scot’s 

That thing you do
16 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Ok, what about crime by the natives? We dont want to corrall all bearded white men into a camp or deport them when Peter Sutcliffe murders folk but all brown people out when one commits a crime?

Open borders are only a disaster because the government handling of them is a disaster.

It's a real shame the Irish show their true colours to non Irish people in need, considering their own past. 

They campaigned to have the Afghan refugees sent back more than 20 years ago, and never miss a trick to blame immigrants when things aren't going well in their own country.

New Town Loafer
Just now, That thing you do said:

Open borders are only a disaster because the government handling of them is a disaster.

Open borders are a complete disaster for multiple reasons, one of which is people come from completely alien cultures that have no respect for the host culture. That then sets off conflict.

Another is that when taking people from war zones, we like to assume they are all friendly, happy-go-lucky people, when plenty of them have severe mental health issues as a result of war. That’s before we even consider their lack of comparability with western society.

GP places, housing, schools etc. all get put under severe pressure by open borders, too, and ‘build more housing’ isn’t the answer.

14 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Aye, it's a good laugh, eh? 

If black kids were doing similar in London he'd be completely losing what's left of his shit.