• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• TheBigO

• Ricardo Quaresma

• HopeDiouf

2 minutes ago, comradejambo said:

Was aiming for this month…. Any further news on him?

Saw him in the PR bar mid week , looked lean and was walking normally 

Seen him in a few of the little snippets of training past week or two on instagram stories so suggests he is back in full training. Likely won't want to rush him after last time round but I reckon we might see him make a squad this side of New Year.

35 minutes ago, Tour22 said:

Can't rely on him, made of glass unfortunately. 

Only since he came to Hearts! He's been unfortunate! Never been like that with Livi! 

No rush, no point.

He's had a bad run, think he was rushed last time. Actually had pretty decent fitness run (lack of injury at least) for long time before the recent hell loop.

Could be big for us, could break again and imagine that'll be that if does. Brutal really. Solid defender if can come back...

9 hours ago, gar jambo said:

Only since he came to Hearts! He's been unfortunate! Never been like that with Livi! 

Only recently. I’m pretty sure he was the only player who played every game when we were in the Championship.

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that December is mental for number of games being played. For a player, there’s a fine line between fully fit and playable - wouldn’t surprise me if he was in the team 

Would be fascinating to see our defence with both Halkett and Kent in it. 

Have had two dominant CBs at the same time since Presley and Webster?

Zal and Berra briefly? 

24 minutes ago, CMc said:

Would be fascinating to see our defence with both Halkett and Kent in it. 

Have had two dominant CBs at the same time since Presley and Webster?

Zal and Berra briefly? 

I actually think that would be a poor pairing in a back 4. In my head it's 1 or the other. In a back 3 yes. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
4 hours ago, Section Q said:

Back to full training......

Training is training

He needs game's to build up his match fitness but will not be able to play consistently full high intensity competitive 90 minute game's for a few months all going well he will need to be careful not to overdo it to begin with as with Boyce and Benni who have been in and out of the team 

1 minute ago, superjack said:

I actually think that would be a poor pairing in a back 4. In my head it's 1 or the other. In a back 3 yes. 

I think the only option is a back 3 if we want Halkett and Kent in the side. Also worth mentioning Halkett performs at a vastly higher level in a 3 than he does in a 4.

Kent on the right, Halkett in the middle, Rowles on the left.

2 minutes ago, superjack said:

Yeah, think it would be great in a back three. 

They are both ok on the ball. But normally the front foot/back foot combo works best. Also handy to have a lefty. 

Maybe a two against the OF in a 451?

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I think the only option is a back 3 if we want Halkett and Kent in the side. Also worth mentioning Halkett performs at a vastly higher level in a 3 than he does in a 4.

Kent on the right, Halkett in the middle, Rowles on the left.

That's the back 3 I was going to add to my post, too early in the morning for me though.

Kent looks uncomfortable bringing the ball out from the back and as a wide centre back in a 3, you need to be able to do that. 

Reckon therefore it will be Halkett or Kent in the middle. Rowles on the left and then Kingsley on the right.

Was skeptical with Kingsley on his weaker side against Livi but he looked fine. Didn’t have to defend much obviously however bringing the ball out from the back wise, he was good. 

Punt Sibbick in January and replace with someone who can play right centre back in a 3. As I think the 3 at the back is here to stay. 

54 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Kent looks uncomfortable bringing the ball out from the back and as a wide centre back in a 3, you need to be able to do that. 

Reckon therefore it will be Halkett or Kent in the middle. Rowles on the left and then Kingsley on the right.

Was skeptical with Kingsley on his weaker side against Livi but he looked fine. Didn’t have to defend much obviously however bringing the ball out from the back wise, he was good. 

Punt Sibbick in January and replace with someone who can play right centre back in a 3. As I think the 3 at the back is here to stay. 

If Halkett gets back to full fitness and form  we won't be leaving either him or Kent on the bench.

1 hour ago, Famous 1874 said:

Agree Kent sitting too deep when we were starting to build and not keen on taking ball forward. Might be able to coach that out of him.  
Kingsley on wrong side didn’t make any errors but no option to stay or pass wide cutting off some of the options of quick build up. Against the likes of Livi, we need to be able to very quickly probe every angle. At some point we find the hole. Kingsley in that position didn’t help. 
That said, he will score a stunning free kick tomorrow. Hope it’s enough to take us through. 

SectionDJambo

Hopefully he’ll be ok this time.

His troubles all started with a vicious tackle from a Hibs hammer thrower during the cup semi final win. Maloney sent them out to kick us off the park and Beaton let it go for far too long.

5 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Hopefully he’ll be ok this time.

His troubles all started with a vicious tackle from a Hibs hammer thrower during the cup semi final win. Maloney sent them out to kick us off the park and Beaton let it go for far too long.

Newels assault on McKay near the start of the game set the tone 

• 2 weeks later...
kingantti1874

Any update on Mackay and Natty. In Barrie’s case I’m still not sure I’ve seen it confirmed what the actual injury was!! 

our comms on injuries is strangely lacking 

13 minutes ago, ginger jambo98 said:

January for him and Craig Gordon according to Naismith.

GUess it makes sense but still can't help being a bit disappointed.  They'll be more disappointed than me I'd think though!

11 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

GUess it makes sense but still can't help being a bit disappointed.  They'll be more disappointed than me I'd think though!

They have probably known all along their expected return dates, they will both only want to come back when they are fit enough and won't break down again. No point in coming back if they last half an hour and then take another few weeks out. Hopefully both in prime condition when they return and can have an impact second half of the season. With the SC to go for it might work out well to have them both back. 

28 minutes ago, ginger jambo98 said:

January for him and Craig Gordon according to Naismith.

Don’t think he’ll ever be the player he was, really hope I’m wrong.

His confidence will be shot, it will be a long time before he’s anywhere near match fit. I just fear for him.

Edited by jamboozy

Just now, jamboozy said:

Don’t think he’ll ever be the player he was, really hope I’m wrong.

His confidence will be shot, it will be a long time before he’s anywhere near match fit.

I'm not so sure, he has come back from an injury that he retired from and got back to his best. If anyone can do it then its Gordon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if when he comes back its like he hasn't been away. That's what I'm hoping for anyway for his sake and ours. 

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

I'm not so sure, he has come back from an injury that he retired from and got back to his best. If anyone can do it then its Gordon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if when he comes back its like he hasn't been away. That's what I'm hoping for anyway for his sake and ours. 

Sorry PS , I should’ve made it clear it was Craig Halkett I was referring to.

Wholeheartedly agree about Craig Gordon. 👍

13 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Seems to be pushed further and further back his return date.

I don't think he can afford to break down again. Needs to make sure when he comes back, its for good and there isn't another long lay off immediately on the cards. 

Agree though, its frustrating. 

Looking forward to a back 3 of Kent Halks and Rowles - Genuinely think that trio is best of the rest. 

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Any update on Mackay and Natty. In Barrie’s case I’m still not sure I’ve seen it confirmed what the actual injury was!! 

our comms on injuries is strangely lacking 

Naismith said today they are both running on grass again, but it will take time (I suspect they will be back after the winter break like the Craigs.)

Kent and Halkett will be first names on team sheet if both fit. 

If played in a three, Kent Halkett Rowles. 

If played in a 4, same as above, with Atkinson or another experienced new signing at RB. 

Kingsley will surely not be shoehorned into playing on the right and will vie with Cochrane for a start on the left. Kingsley an able deputy in any defensive position when needed. 

If Kingsley carries on in this form, I think it's Cochrane that will struggle to get starts tbh. 

The way Beni has been managed gives me hope. Yes, he's a little bit younger, but we're starting to see him get back to his best now. 

Was genuinely worried his career might have been over.

Fort Vallance
9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Naismith said today they are both running on grass again, but it will take time (I suspect they will be back after the winter break like the Craigs.)

The way I read it was that Atkinson and Mackay were quite a bit behind the other too. End of January sounds a bit more likely.

4 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

The way Beni has been managed gives me hope. Yes, he's a little bit younger, but we're starting to see him get back to his best now. 

Was genuinely worried his career might have been over.

Agree but sadly it won’t be with us. 

21 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

They have probably known all along their expected return dates, they will both only want to come back when they are fit enough and won't break down again. No point in coming back if they last half an hour and then take another few weeks out. Hopefully both in prime condition when they return and can have an impact second half of the season. With the SC to go for it might work out well to have them both back. 

Oh absolutely! Don't disagree with the course of action.  Just desperate to have them back!!

To be fair our defence has probably been our most funtional department this season - Kent has made a huge difference (excellent recruitment - imagine that!).  Bar a couple of real individual errors, it's been a good unit (and despite injuries to the Fbs).

It's the Craigseses' leadership and grit I'm after (well, that and Gordon's world class saves!).  I said on a thread yesterday that one great thing perhaps overlooked is that these guys and Barrie will be back at training day in day out, raising the quality and intensity of every session and now being there to show the newer guys our standards.  That's no bad thing.  We HAVE got leaders in our dressing room, we've simply been missing 2 the two lead leaders for quite a while.  So yeah hopefully New Year just means that's when they'll play or be ready for selection in the XI, but that they're in full squad training from now.

It's all good news man.

2 minutes ago, hmfc4life1991 said:

Halkett and Craig Gordon are scheduled to play in a behind closed doors game against Queens Park today. 

great news.

See when he does return are we all in agreement that while he is getting back up to speed , we will use the following terms ( many other people agree needs to feature heavily in the absence of actual facts ) :

Slow

Unathletic 

Les Dawson towing a caravan

Not the same player he was

Disinterested

Fat

Never that good to begin with

Maybe pre determine a time limit on it before we all accept that players take time to return to match fitness and sharpness after long term injury 

Edited by Sooks

7 minutes ago, hmfc4life1991 said:

Halkett and Craig Gordon are scheduled to play in a behind closed doors game against Queens Park today. 

Great! I hope it goes well for them.👍

10 minutes ago, hmfc4life1991 said:

That's great news, fingers crossed all goes well. Any news on Natty and Barrie?