• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• TheBigO

• Ricardo Quaresma

• HopeDiouf

25 minutes ago, Sooks said:

See when he does return are we all in agreement that while he is getting back up to speed , we will use the following terms ( many other people agree needs to feature heavily in the absence of actual facts ) :

Slow

Unathletic 

Les Dawson towing a caravan

Not the same player he was

Disinterested

Fat

Never that good to begin with

Maybe pre determine a time limit on it before we all accept that players take time to return to match fitness and sharpness after long term injury 

You forgot "finished".  Good thing about that one is we can start using it now!

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

Does anyone know how Pollock's recovery is getting on?

Not me! But the nature of this type of injury is I'm not sure they can timescale it as such.  He could be looking great and it comes back.  Be great to see the lad back.  What a shame for him.

Just now, TheBigO said:

How could I forget . We could then start repeating a funny about how he is Scottish . Pretty sure that one has never been done before 

Just now, Sooks said:

How could I forget . We could then start repeating a funny about how he is Scottish . Pretty sure that one has never been done before 

Just checked and he is actually 28, so that'll work perfectly!!!!!! Yassssss!!!

Just now, TheBigO said:

Just checked and he is actually 28, so that'll work perfectly!!!!!! Yassssss!!!

It is a shame we wont see him again though . He is clearly finished 

Thunder and Lightning
9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Wage thief 

Just now, tiger Rudi said:

Kent and Halkett will be first names on team sheet if both fit. 

If played in a three, Kent Halkett Rowles. 

If played in a 4, same as above, with Atkinson or another experienced new signing at RB. 

Kingsley will surely not be shoehorned into playing on the right and will vie with Cochrane for a start on the left. Kingsley an able deputy in any defensive position when needed. 

If Kingsley carries on in this form, I think it's Cochrane that will struggle to get starts tbh. 

From memory, Halkett struggled in a 2 (at least initially). 

I think in a 3, we'll see a really strong back line with a solid mix of strength, aerial dominance and ball playing ability. 

Quite excited TBH! :D 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

See when he does return are we all in agreement that while he is getting back up to speed , we will use the following terms ( many other people agree needs to feature heavily in the absence of actual facts ) :

Slow

Unathletic 

Disinterested

Fat

Maybe pre determine a time limit on it before we all accept that players take time to return to match fitness and sharpness after long term injury 

3 month JKB bans for anyone not using these terms or similar. 

Carthorse huddy!

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

3 month JKB bans for anyone not using these terms or similar. 

Carthorse huddy!

Drifts in and out of games 

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Drifts in and out of games 

In and out so much, they can rename the song/dance the Halkey Calkey - amirite? 

1 hour ago, tiger Rudi said:

Kent and Halkett will be first names on team sheet if both fit. 

If played in a three, Kent Halkett Rowles. 

If played in a 4, same as above, with Atkinson or another experienced new signing at RB. 

Kingsley will surely not be shoehorned into playing on the right and will vie with Cochrane for a start on the left. Kingsley an able deputy in any defensive position when needed. 

If Kingsley carries on in this form, I think it's Cochrane that will struggle to get starts tbh. 

Rowles will be in the side regardless of whether Halkett is ever fit. 

38 minutes ago, OTT said:

From memory, Halkett struggled in a 2 (at least initially). 

I think in a 3, we'll see a really strong back line with a solid mix of strength, aerial dominance and ball playing ability. 

Quite excited TBH! :D 

I think Halks struggled in a two solely because of the other "one".  He had a mix of Berra and Popescu and maybe a few others, never got a settled partner.  Looked fine when he had Souttar, but that was rare.  I think he and Rowles or he and Kent would work just fine.  Thing is I kinda want them all to play.  And Kingsley!!!!!  A central back 4 RCB, RCCVB, LCCB, LCB.  Maybe invented something there!

(What am I saying, Livvy played it - with deep lying fullbacks - only last week!)

6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

In and out so much, they can rename the song/dance the Halkey Calkey - amirite? 

You are . After the hilarious Mr Fartypantz and Chubland nicknames , the bar was set quite high but that would make a good nickname for him 

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I think Halks struggled in a two solely because of the other "one".  He had a mix of Berra and Popescu and maybe a few others, never got a settled partner.  Looked fine when he had Souttar, but that was rare.  I think he and Rowles or he and Kent would work just fine.  Thing is I kinda want them all to play.  And Kingsley!!!!!  A central back 4 RCB, RCCVB, LCCB, LCB.  Maybe invented something there!

(What am I saying, Livvy played it - with deep lying fullbacks - only last week!)

I think when Halkett is back it allows us to mix things up a bit with so many players. Its easy to forget that Kent has played every game so far this season (he has already had 19 competitive appearances for us) though looking at his past seasons he does seem to play a lot of games a season. Kingsley showing his ability at RCB, but if Halkett is back then you can rest Rowles and play Kingsley LCB and be back to the strong back line two seasons ago. Certainly a lot of competition in there.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

Agree but sadly it won’t be with us. 

you’ve gone balls deep on this one based on a comment at a gym.  I believe that happened btw so don’t doubt you but things change, and club have said they are actively discussing so may be more of a possibility that it seemed at the time 

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think when Halkett is back it allows us to mix things up a bit with so many players. Its easy to forget that Kent has played every game so far this season (he has already had 19 competitive appearances for us) though looking at his past seasons he does seem to play a lot of games a season. Kingsley showing his ability at RCB, but if Halkett is back then you can rest Rowles and play Kingsley LCB and be back to the strong back line two seasons ago. Certainly a lot of competition in there.

Yes there is.  Halks can also play RCB or CCB (the middle one!?).  I kinda think Kent is maybe only a CCB in a three.  Might be wrong but I think so.  Halks has a bit more football about him that Kent - he can step forward reasonably well.

Four very good CHs there.  Toby backing them up, Cochrane at a pinch too.  Not a bad situation at all, really.  Even without Halks, we're fine back there.

Leads us to Jan - RB, CM, CF...? Know its the wrong thread for it, but I feel with Halks coming back, and Barrie, we're fine at CB and on the wings.  We're fine at LB too.  

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Yes there is.  Halks can also play RCB or CCB (the middle one!?).  I kinda think Kent is maybe only a CCB in a three.  Might be wrong but I think so.  Halks has a bit more football about him that Kent - he can step forward reasonably well.

Four very good CHs there.  Toby backing them up, Cochrane at a pinch too.  Not a bad situation at all, really.  Even without Halks, we're fine back there.

Leads us to Jan - RB, CM, CF...? Know its the wrong thread for it, but I feel with Halks coming back, and Barrie, we're fine at CB and on the wings.  We're fine at LB too.  

Fairly obvious to everyone we need a RB.  Why we didn't bother to replace Smith in summer is beyond me.  Paying the price atm.  Hopefully we resolve this self inflicted problem in January.

Edited by HopeDiouf

Just now, HopeDiouf said:

Fairly obvious to everyone we need a RB.  Why we didn't bother to replace Smith in summer is beyond me.  Paying the price atm.  Hopefully we resolve this self inflicted problem in January.

Funny cos RB concerns me waaaay less than it does most people.  Natty was playing very well and got what can only be described as a freak injury.  Toby has shown he can do it, Forrest against weaker opp at Tynie we play as a winger out there and I quite like that.  I'd like to improve the area, but I don't see the point in bringing in an RB to have another RB if that makes sense.  We kinda did that with Offiah (bit unlucky with his health issues) and a loan kinda feels right until we find the guy who will really elevate the position.

Remember our first choice is the Aussie first choice RB.  And he was playing very well. His confidence especially in his defending has shot up since Naisy took over.

I think CF is actually about our biggest issue.  Perhaps due to the minimum impact Tagawa has had.  But he's on a long contract, so all good in terms of the lad himself, I'm sure he'll get there.  I wonder if a Simms type loan is what we need for immediate impact there come Jan.

Sorry, I'd taken this miles off topic, espcially seeing as theres a Jan transfer window thread!!

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Only bothers trying when his contract is up for renewal 

Clearly doesn't respect the manager. Dressing room has gone. 

Edited by Thunder and Lightning

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Funny cos RB concerns me waaaay less than it does most people.  Natty was playing very well and got what can only be described as a freak injury.  Toby has shown he can do it, Forrest against weaker opp at Tynie we play as a winger out there and I quite like that.  I'd like to improve the area, but I don't see the point in bringing in an RB to have another RB if that makes sense.  We kinda did that with Offiah (bit unlucky with his health issues) and a loan kinda feels right until we find the guy who will really elevate the position.

Remember our first choice is the Aussie first choice RB.  And he was playing very well. His confidence especially in his defending has shot up since Naisy took over.

I think CF is actually about our biggest issue.  Perhaps due to the minimum impact Tagawa has had.  But he's on a long contract, so all good in terms of the lad himself, I'm sure he'll get there.  I wonder if a Simms type loan is what we need for immediate impact there come Jan.

Sorry, I'd taken this miles off topic, espcially seeing as theres a Jan transfer window thread!!

Bottom line is you don't get away with one RB all season.  Failing to sign a second RB to compete with Atkinson was madness. As for Sibbick, he has shown repeatedly that he can't do it.  If we play him there, he'll makes mistakes and costs us goals.  Not really his fault.  He's not a RB.  And neither is Offiah, he's a centre half who we've played at RB cause we didn't bother to sign a 2nd RB.

Edited by HopeDiouf

Bottom line is you don't get away with one RB all season.  Failing to sign a second RB to compete with Atkinson was madness. As for Sibbick, he has shown repeatedly that he can't do it.  If we play him there, he'll makes mistakes and costs us goals.  Not really his fault.  He's not a RB.  

Was madness to even try.

Bottom line is you don't get away with one RB all season.  Failing to sign a second RB to compete with Atkinson was madness. As for Sibbick, he has shown repeatedly that he can't do it.  If we play him there, he'll makes mistakes and costs us goals.  Not really his fault.  He's not a RB.  

Hm, not so sure that's the case at RWB tbf.  Get Toby working essentially in straight lines he's absolutely fine.  I think the coaches quite like him there, i think they hoped Offiah would offer a lot there.  And i think more than anything we showed faith in Natty.  It's unlucky is what it is.

What depth do others have at FB?  Aberdeen and Hibs for example?  I genuinely don't know.

I'm not actually trying to say we don't need one by the way!!!!!  Just that it concerns me a bit less than it does others who seem to think it's been nigh on a disgrace we didn't bring someone in.  We tried to bring in higher quality, we missed out - our number one target broke his bloody leg! So we pivoted, and I think at start of season we looked fine.  How many goals we lost from our right side!?  Again I don't know, but not much jumps out.  Toby gave away a daft penalty against Rangers.  His other errors I think were at CH, no?

Hm, not so sure that's the case at RWB tbf.  Get Toby working essentially in straight lines he's absolutely fine.  I think the coaches quite like him there, i think they hoped Offiah would offer a lot there.  And i think more than anything we showed faith in Natty.  It's unlucky is what it is.

What depth do others have at FB?  Aberdeen and Hibs for example?  I genuinely don't know.

I'm not actually trying to say we don't need one by the way!!!!!  Just that it concerns me a bit less than it does others who seem to think it's been nigh on a disgrace we didn't bring someone in.  We tried to bring in higher quality, we missed out - our number one target broke his bloody leg! So we pivoted, and I think at start of season we looked fine.  How many goals we lost from our right side!?  Again I don't know, but not much jumps out.  Toby gave away a daft penalty against Rangers.  His other errors I think were at CH, no?

Offiah, again, is a Centre half, who we've ended up playing at RB cause we didn't bother to sign a 2nd RB for the season ahead.

Anyway, think we can all agree signing an actual RB to compete with Atkinson would be a good plan for January.  Or we can continue shoe-horning centre halfs and wingers into that role. :)

Edited by HopeDiouf

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Offiah, again, is a Centre half, who we've ended up playing at RB cause we didn't bother to sign a 2nd RB for the season ahead.

Anyway, think we can all agree signing an actual RB to compete with Atkinson would be a good plan for January.  Or we can continue shoe-horning centre halfs and wingers into that role. :)

Or use Forrester as back up? 

Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Or use Forrester as back up? 

well that would be a different way to go.  Wouldn't be against it.  We've not done that though - we've shoe-horned wingers and CH's in there

He's a CH on Fifa is he?  Who says he's a CH?  Who says Toby is a CH?  Sorry not meaning to be argumentative (and take topic further away and a debate over something I've actually only got mild opinion on!haha!), but I dont buy that.  A player has a set of attributes and a coach uses them where he best sees them utilised.  The whole thing about a player "being" this or that, I personally don't buy into it

You can play a guy out of position, but that means you aren't utilising his strengths.  Shanks in midfield for Neilson.  Madness!!!  I'd suggest Barrie as an 8 as well.

But both Toby and Offiah are athletes who can run directly with the ball, who can overlap but also have great recovery runs in them.  They're both good one on one too and won't lose many ground duels (albeit this slightly theory with Offiah as not seen enough).  At this stage of both careers, that adds up to RB/RWB.  Calling them CHs makes no difference to their actual attributes.

At what point did Schweinsteiger stop being a winger playing CM, or Lahm stop being an RB playing CM.  Or when we won the cup was Big Slim a CH playing RB.  Was Weir when he played there?  Was Pressley?  Maybe.  Depends how you view these things.  But did they do the job well?  All that matters.

Kingsley, an LB, right!?  He's played his best games for us at LCB.  He's currently about our best player at RCB.  He doesn't need branded!

SOrry rant.  Not aimed at you HD, just the "he's an XYZ" thing always gets me going.

Halks!!! Yay!!

Just now, TheBigO said:

He's a CH on Fifa is he?  Who says he's a CH?  Who says Toby is a CH?  Sorry not meaning to be argumentative (and take topic further away and a debate over something I've actually only got mild opinion on!haha!), but I dont buy that.  A player has a set of attributes and a coach uses them where he best sees them utilised.  The whole thing about a player "being" this or that, I personally don't buy into it

You can play a guy out of position, but that means you aren't utilising his strengths.  Shanks in midfield for Neilson.  Madness!!!  I'd suggest Barrie as an 8 as well.

But both Toby and Offiah are athletes who can run directly with the ball, who can overlap but also have great recovery runs in them.  They're both good one on one too and won't lose many ground duels (albeit this slightly theory with Offiah as not seen enough).  At this stage of both careers, that adds up to RB/RWB.  Calling them CHs makes no difference to their actual attributes.

At what point did Schweinsteiger stop being a winger playing CM, or Lahm stop being an RB playing CM.  Or when we won the cup was Big Slim a CH playing RB.  Was Weir when he played there?  Was Pressley?  Maybe.  Depends how you view these things.  But did they do the job well?  All that matters.

Kingsley, an LB, right!?  He's played his best games for us at LCB.  He's currently about our best player at RCB.  He doesn't need branded!

SOrry rant.  Not aimed at you HD, just the "he's an XYZ" thing always gets me going.

Halks!!! Yay!!

it's where they've played most of their games.  Google Offiah he'll come up as a CH.  play them at RB for a year or two and they'll learn.  And if they have the attributes improve and get better at that position.  But playing guys out of position tends to not get best out of them at least in short term.

it's where they've played most of their games.  Google Offiah he'll come up as a CH.  play them at RB for a year or two and they'll learn.  And if they have the attributes improve and get better at that position.  But playing guys out of position tends to not get best out of them at least in short term.

But my point is I don't actually think they're out of position!!!  I don't keep up with EPL much but wasn't John Stones used at RB a lot at Man City?  Differnent level obviously (just a bit).  But google him.

We differ on it, that's cool.

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

But my point is I don't actually think they're out of position!!!  I don't keep up with EPL much but wasn't John Stones used at RB a lot at Man City?  Differnent level obviously (just a bit).  But google him.

We differ on it, that's cool.

if any of our out of position centre halfs or wingers had been even close to capable of properly filling the RB role, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  But we are where we are.

Quite simply, right now, left footer Stephen Kingsley is our best (fit) RB option.

Edited by HopeDiouf

if any of our out of position centre halfs or wingers had been even close to capable of properly filling the RB role, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  But we are where we are.

Similar budgets, both of us have our first choice RB out.  Delfiere/16 yearold bairn who doesn't look ready at Hibs.  Toby/Forrest/Offiah at Hearts.

I know we need to aim to be miles ahead of Hibs.  And their recruitment is famously shit.

Alls I'm saying is I don't think its the issue some think it is.  I'd rather we do with what we have which IMO (and that's the bit, I get its not a widely held opinion!!) is fine and work on bringing in someone who lifts the position.  That's harder to do.  We thought we had the guy, he got hurt.  Plan B (maybe even C) was an EPL loanee.

2 hours ago, jamboozy said:

Sorry PS , I should’ve made it clear it was Craig Halkett I was referring to.

Wholeheartedly agree about Craig Gordon. 👍

Yeah you could be right with Halkett which would be a shame, he is tremendous when fit and on form. I think our backline would be so much better having him in there. I always felt we missed him more than Souttar when both were out. 

isn't it Ajax who play their academy / youth players in all positions as they progress towards the first team?

I think we have quite versatile players in our squad - Kingsley, Cochrane and Rowles - also thought Sibbick has looked OK at RB of late.

Similar budgets, both of us have our first choice RB out.  Delfiere/16 yearold bairn who doesn't look ready at Hibs.  Toby/Forrest/Offiah at Hearts.

I know we need to aim to be miles ahead of Hibs.  And their recruitment is famously shit.

Alls I'm saying is I don't think its the issue some think it is.  I'd rather we do with what we have which IMO (and that's the bit, I get its not a widely held opinion!!) is fine and work on bringing in someone who lifts the position.  That's harder to do.  We thought we had the guy, he got hurt.  Plan B (maybe even C) was an EPL loanee.

I'd be fine with us playing young Forrester.  But evidently, we've chosen not to do that.

1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

isn't it Ajax who play their academy / youth players in all positions as they progress towards the first team?

I think we have quite versatile players in our squad - Kingsley, Cochrane and Rowles - also thought Sibbick has looked OK at RB of late.

Sibbick will be OK there - till his next mistake.  Not really his fault. 

Pasquale for King

I said when he did it that we would be lucky to see him play again this year, then he appeared at training in May and we all hoped he would be back soon. Looks like it will be December at best but getting him some games to get match fit wont be easy, look at hard its been to get Gordon some.

jamboinglasgow
30 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You can now see why Lewis Neilson went out on loan. He was never going to get much game time, but at Partick he has already played over 1,000 minutes and will play all season and hopefully come back next season ready to play.

29 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

I do think they are expecting to sign a RB in January, so didn't want to get a player in who would be a third choice in January (Offiah playing centre back as well as right back adds depth, Sibbick can play right back and centre back.) I still think we will look to sign Riku Handa again in January.

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

He was awful there at Hampden and was lucky he lasted so long, players were running off him and he allowed the LB down the line constantly without blocking one cross. 
He can play a few positions but is master of none. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You can now see why Lewis Neilson went out on loan. He was never going to get much game time, but at Partick he has already played over 1,000 minutes and will play all season and hopefully come back next season ready to play.

I do think they are expecting to sign a RB in January, so didn't want to get a player in who would be a third choice in January (Offiah playing centre back as well as right back adds depth, Sibbick can play right back and centre back.) I still think we will look to sign Riku Handa again in January.

Yes, quite excited by Neilson.  We're going to be very well of at CH next season.  Cash in on Rowles maybe?  Believe Neilson playing on the left at the moment....

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Slow

Unathletic 

Disinterested

Fat

I thought you were picking our next line up there :rofl:

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Lets hope so, Nostradamus wasn’t required to guess that Atkinson would get injured at some point. 

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

If thats the case, and I hope it is, thats at least the start of a plan.  Should've done something tho for short term e.g. given Smith an extra 6 months.  Starting season with one RB was asking to end up in position we are in.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yes, quite excited by Neilson.  We're going to be very well of at CH next season.  Cash in on Rowles maybe?  Believe Neilson playing on the left at the moment....

You cant say that for certain, Halkett and Kingsley are out of contract and Toby isnt a CH. 

Pasquale for King

If thats the case, and I hope it is, thats at least the start of a plan.  Should've done something tho for short term e.g. given Smith an extra 6 months.  Starting season with one RB was asking to end up in position we are in.

Smith was done years ago. Bad planning really and Offiah was a late panic loan that hasn’t worked out. 

On 03/11/2023 at 18:12, Sooks said:

Saw him in the PR bar mid week , looked lean and was walking normally 

With the time he has been out, does "walking normally" mean he was limping. :whistling:

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You cant say that for certain, Halkett and Kingsley are out of contract and Toby isnt a CH. 

Kingsley has another year after this season.

Halkett you'd hope would be easy enough to deal with given how long he's been out. Would likely want security himself.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Kingsley has another year after this season.

Halkett you'd hope would be easy enough to deal with given how long he's been out. Would likely want security himself.

Apologies i read that wrong 👍🏽
We said that Souttar should be easy enough to deal with, thats if he proves his fitness and that hes back to where he was before he was rushed back for the final then twice again last season.