***Official Heart of Midlothian v Rangers Semi-Final Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

Screenshot_20201016-102020_Twitter.thumb.jpg.8795883a7dccea178115267828d6e09b.jpg1, Never 'Beaton' Rangers at Hampden. 

2, Hearts have never won at Hampden whilst I've personally been in the East Terracing.

3, Hearts have never won a League Cup Semi Final at Hampden

I'm guessing the vast majority of Hearts fans were not around in 1962 to see us last win the League Cup. 

Would be nice to see the maroon ribbons on the lugs as opposed to blue or red ones. 

kb4dhb.jpg

hearts-captain-dave-mackay-proudly-holds-aloft-21916425.jpg.webp

Hearts Annual Dance -Willie Bauld rLeague Cup Plaque.jpg

dfrtb.JPG

1954 League Cup, team home on top of bus.jpg

Third Lanark (N) 2-1 (SLCF) 24.10.1959 Hearts parade Cup thr.jpg

Screenshot_20221009_010918.jpg

Screenshot_20230227-214351_Twitter.thumb.jpg.4cd9b1561e1afe63668c6b8d9a77e5d0.jpg

Screenshot_20220725-225901_eBay.thumb.jpg.abf42d6027582490265b2b05974eb575.jpg

Screenshot_20220610-044527_eBay.thumb.jpg.23be1c9bbed6d90acc2ae048fb73e854.jpg

matt_grays_goal_v_hearts_med.jpeg

Motherwell (N) 4-2 (SLCF) 23.10.1954 Captains shake at start.jpg

Motherwell (N) 4-2 (SLCF) 23.10.1954 Winning Team Group Pict.jpg

1954 League Cup, Parker accepts the Trophy.jpg

Love them

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Morgan

• OTT

• Ricardo Quaresma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

We really cannot afford to lose an early goal or that could be that .

We need total focus from everyone from the first whistle. Pressing them high and in their faces from the start.

Get through the first half without conceding and we are in with a chance 

Could work both ways, lose an early goal and means we need to come out and get at them. Last 2 times against them we've scored early. Don't think I could watch almost  another full game of us sitting back and holding on for our lives.

Agree though getting through the first half without conceding would give us a much better chance.

Edited by Chimp

49 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I'd be starting Beni and Hof in the middle on Sunday. Hof has that ability to drive forward and carry the ball and played really well against that lot last week.

I wouldn't be starting Devlin, he'd no doubt get booked early doors and become almost ineffective after that like he normally does once he receives a card. 

Beni, Hoff and Grant for me in the middle. Devlin and Boyce to play their part late on from the bench. Hopefully when we are still in the game. 

Would be starting Devlin. Maybe even edging Beni just now. Beni didn’t have a lot to do on Wed night but there was moments he didn’t look himself, wee bit cagey in possession when he’d normally make that familiar burst with the ball….all understandable as it takes a long time to come back to resembling previous levels from that injury. 

Devlin for me is a big game player. He seems to switch on even more and can be dynamite for us with his desire to press opponents.  It’s something we need to do to make ourselves competitive on Sunday, we can’t have players sitting back when the chance is there to close down.  

Devlin, Hoff and Grant.  Vargas back in to run off Shanks.  Oda instead of Forrest.  The latter goes missing v Rangers and Celtic.  Was ok on Wed night but he seems to lack courage v Celtic and Rangers. 

49 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Would be starting Devlin. Maybe even edging Beni just now. Beni didn’t have a lot to do on Wed night but there was moments he didn’t look himself, wee bit cagey in possession when he’d normally make that familiar burst with the ball….all understandable as it takes a long time to come back to resembling previous levels from that injury. 

Devlin for me is a big game player. He seems to switch on even more and can be dynamite for us with his desire to press opponents.  It’s something we need to do to make ourselves competitive on Sunday, we can’t have players sitting back when the chance is there to close down.  

Devlin, Hoff and Grant.  Vargas back in to run off Shanks.  Oda instead of Forrest.  The latter goes missing v Rangers and Celtic.  Was ok on Wed night but he seems to lack courage v Celtic and Rangers. 

Beni for Hoff and agree with the rest.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Clark

Offiah Kent Rowles Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Banigime Nieuwenhof

Shankland Oda

McGovern, Sibbick, Haring, Boyce, Forrest, Grant, Halliday, Vargas

Gordon, Halkett, McKay, Atkinson, Tagawa back for the final

Final

Gordon, Atkinson, Kent, Halkett, Kingsley

Devlin, Baningime, Nieuewenhof

Oda, Shankland, McKay

Clark, Rowles, Cochrane, Grant, Boyce, Tagawa, Vargas, Forrest, Sibbick, Halliday

How many subs are you allowed :lol:

15 hours ago, Walrus said:

Line up from when we played them at Hampden in 2019

20231102_195053.jpg.fae82c2936a22e502b3344930916a838.jpg

I think this once and for all answers whether or not Joe Savage is doing a good job with recruitment.....

2 hours ago, Scott980612 said:

Hearts 1 vs 0 Rangers. 

Goldson red card 81. 

Shankland pen 82  

Cochrane red card 94. 

Rangers miss pen 95. 

From a referee in a domestic game involving rangers? Not a chance 😂 the rest could happen though

11 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Who would get in our current team from that squad? Not Berra if this is after his injury against Celtic, that leaves Hickey and Smith fighting it out for RB and Clare and Bozanic maybe worth a spot on the bench. Shows how much we've improved.

Do not think it would be much of a fight between Hickey and Smith . You could probably play Hickey in every position except keeper and number nine and he would be our best player

2 hours ago, dannymack said:

Screenshot_20201016-102020_Twitter.thumb.jpg.8795883a7dccea178115267828d6e09b.jpg1, Never 'Beaton' Rangers at Hampden. 

2, Hearts have never won at Hampden whilst I've personally been in the East Terracing.

3, Hearts have never won a League Cup Semi Final at Hampden

I'm guessing the vast majority of Hearts fans were not around in 1962 to see us last win the League Cup. 

Would be nice to see the maroon ribbons on the lugs as opposed to blue or red ones. 

kb4dhb.jpg

hearts-captain-dave-mackay-proudly-holds-aloft-21916425.jpg.webp

Hearts Annual Dance -Willie Bauld rLeague Cup Plaque.jpg

dfrtb.JPG

1954 League Cup, team home on top of bus.jpg

Third Lanark (N) 2-1 (SLCF) 24.10.1959 Hearts parade Cup thr.jpg

Screenshot_20221009_010918.jpg

Screenshot_20230227-214351_Twitter.thumb.jpg.4cd9b1561e1afe63668c6b8d9a77e5d0.jpg

Screenshot_20220725-225901_eBay.thumb.jpg.abf42d6027582490265b2b05974eb575.jpg

Screenshot_20220610-044527_eBay.thumb.jpg.23be1c9bbed6d90acc2ae048fb73e854.jpg

matt_grays_goal_v_hearts_med.jpeg

Motherwell (N) 4-2 (SLCF) 23.10.1954 Captains shake at start.jpg

Motherwell (N) 4-2 (SLCF) 23.10.1954 Winning Team Group Pict.jpg

1954 League Cup, Parker accepts the Trophy.jpg

So the Tynecastle Arms used to be called Campbells by the picture of the bus passing McLeod  st? 

The new West End
24 minutes ago, Texaco said:

So the Tynecastle Arms used to be called Campbells by the picture of the bus passing McLeod  st? 

Yes and also Hares

Some of us older guys still call it Campbells

1 hour ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

From a referee in a domestic game involving rangers? Not a chance 😂 the rest could happen though

Your probably right!!!

Diadora Van Basten

Clark

Kent.   Kingsley Rowles

Offiah. Devlin.  Beni.  Cochrane 

Grant

Shankland Boyce

19 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Remember the semi final where Barry Ferguson was allowed to play basketball , I wonder what ridiculous thing the refs will allow them to get away with this time .

Hope we go for it and manage a miracle  but just don't see them let us .

18 hours ago, FerryJambo81 said:

He practically caught the ****ing ball and kicked it in. Even from the stands it was clear as day...brutal

Are you guys referring to different occasions? The one I remember is when the ball was about to hit his face and he caught it with two hands, dropped it at his feet, and cleared it. No penalty given 

48 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Clark

Kent.   Kingsley Rowles

Offiah. Devlin.  Beni.  Cochrane 

Grant

Shankland Boyce

Reasonable, but I would play Kingsley at right back like Wednesday, which might mean playing Forrest instead of Offiah.  

19 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Are you guys referring to different occasions? The one I remember is when the ball was about to hit his face and he caught it with two hands, dropped it at his feet, and cleared it. No penalty given 

2008 semi, Barry scored after about catching the ball is the one I'm thinking.

Full disclosure, had to use Google for year😂

ToadKiller Dog
27 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

2008 cup semi on a horrible  wet night , ferguson clear as day controlled it with his arm before turning and scoring. 

I could see it from a horrible view ,but the Orc refs team missed it  .

Hampden had bloody sunk tractor tyre tracks on the pitch also.

33 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

2008 cup semi on a horrible  wet night , ferguson clear as day controlled it with his arm before turning and scoring. 

I could see it from a horrible view ,but the Orc refs team missed it  .

Hampden had bloody sunk tractor tyre tracks on the pitch also.

We were clearly on same page mate 😂

Was brutal. Only saving grace, I lived next to Hampden at time so was on couch 10 mins after game rather than queueing at Mount Florida

Clark

Kingsley Kent Rowles Cochrane 

Beni 

Devlin       Hoff 

Yoda                        Vargas

Shankland 

**** knows how it'll go. 

Ricardo Quaresma
21 hours ago, FerryJambo81 said:

We need a lot of things to go our way, can only hope. Don't concede early is key. Maybe don't grab tops in box too...

The romantic in me sees this as a 2012 play book and history repeating itself. Same other semi, other side of uglies but played week before with contentious decisions impacting game. Can live in hope

'Mon Hearts, let's do this...!!!

The honkin' hooper match, all goals by him, plus a penalty shortly before HT

alan muir ref

Ricardo Quaresma
17 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

The big huns have hit a bit of form or getting the job done either way :(

that lammers in particular looked a total donkey but his cv suggests he’s not that bad and looks like he might be coming good

as per about 40 of the last 45 years we need to be on it they need to be slightly off it and the ref /  var need to stay out of it

I wonder if they’ll have another massive pyro display 🙀

3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Reasonable, but I would play Kingsley at right back like Wednesday, which might mean playing Forrest instead of Offiah.  

Kingsley wasn't right back. He was right in a back 3. 

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Clark

Kingsley Kent Rowles Cochrane 

Beni 

Devlin       Hoff 

Yoda                        Vargas

Shankland 

**** knows how it'll go. 

Would be happy with that.  No harm in detailing Nieuwenhoff  to try and be further forward.  Seems to be in his nature and style when the opportunity is there.  By nature he’d tuck in when we don’t have the ball too.  

Oda and Vargas to give Shankland pace to work with and help open up the room to play.  

Edited by Debut 4

Clark

Kingsley Kent Rowles

Offiah Devlin Beni Cochrane

Oda Shankland Vargas

I think we need 2 defensive CMs with our wing backs trying to get forward to keep their full backs pinned back.

Really hope we try to play the way we did first half at Ibrox and don't play a 541 with everyone behind the ball.

If we do end up parking the bus, push Vargas up front and look for the ball over the top on the counter.

Keep Sibbick on the bench please!

Zander

Kingsley Kent Rowles

Devlin

Forrest Beni            Hof Cochrane

Grant

Shankland

I have no clue what kind of formation that is (361?), but it gets all the players I want on the field. I'd have been tempted to play Sibbick at RCB, but don't trust him. Too many big errors. I think our biggest strength is in midfield, and I genuinely believe Devlin, Beni & Hof can go toe to toe with Rangers midfield. Add in Grant for good measure and you outnumber them in midfield and have Cochrane and Forrest  as wingbacks. providing width. 

We need to find a way of choking the life out of the game and not allowing Rangers time on the ball IMO. 4 men in the middle of midfield could do that, but would leave us vulnerable elsewhere. If we could trust Sibbick, he'd be preferable at RCB, but it is what it is. 

Well I've just set off on the long overnight journey North for the weekend , taking in the game, just my 2nd of the season. Last Sunday at least gives me some hope we could sneak it. Really looking forward to it. A lot will depend on our ability to snuff them out and stop them playing. It may not be much of a spectacle but if we win, none of us will give the slightest toss.

Come on the Jambos!

Clark

Offiah Kent Rowles Kingsley

Devlin Grant Neiwenhof 

Shanks

Oda Vargas

Bench 

Gordon Tagawa Boyce Forrest Beni Cochrane Sibbick

We need 3 midfielders in there imo to try and win the midfield battle, think we need pace up top too, Need to try and put their full backs under as much pressure as possible, If Oda and Vargas can do that and keep Shankland in the middle sniffing about their goal, we can hurt them.

Not sure how this will go, would snap your hand off for a 1-1 then win on pens but we will probably get pumped 3 or 4-1.

34 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Well I've just set off on the long overnight journey North for the weekend , taking in the game, just my 2nd of the season. Last Sunday at least gives me some hope we could sneak it. Really looking forward to it. A lot will depend on our ability to snuff them out and stop them playing. It may not be much of a spectacle but if we win, none of us will give the slightest toss.

Come on the Jambos!

Top post. I ‘salute you’!

Stupid Sexy Flanders
On 02/11/2023 at 19:52, Walrus said:

Line up from when we played them at Hampden in 2019

20231102_195053.jpg.fae82c2936a22e502b3344930916a838.jpg

Our bus was absolutely bouncing on the way through, then we saw the line up and the atmosphere died a death. 😄

2 hours ago, OTT said:

Zander

Kingsley Kent Rowles

Devlin

Forrest Beni            Hof Cochrane

Grant

Shankland

I have no clue what kind of formation that is (361?), but it gets all the players I want on the field. I'd have been tempted to play Sibbick at RCB, but don't trust him. Too many big errors. I think our biggest strength is in midfield, and I genuinely believe Devlin, Beni & Hof can go toe to toe with Rangers midfield. Add in Grant for good measure and you outnumber them in midfield and have Cochrane and Forrest  as wingbacks. providing width. 

We need to find a way of choking the life out of the game and not allowing Rangers time on the ball IMO. 4 men in the middle of midfield could do that, but would leave us vulnerable elsewhere. If we could trust Sibbick, he'd be preferable at RCB, but it is what it is. 

It's an interesting idea, especially in the midfield area, but playing Forrest on the right, with him being an attacking player, means that they could get down our left, expose and run at Kingsley 

Hampden is a big pitch and Kingsley is also a left footer which would be a weakness 

It could very well backfire for the above reason 

1 hour ago, Independence said:

Top post. I ‘salute you’!

Ta👍 But you can bet your boots there will be many others traveling much further than me! 

We've just got to keep turning up for those Semi Finals v the OF. We'll catch them on an off day sooner or later.

7 hours ago, FerryJambo81 said:

We were clearly on same page mate 😂

Was brutal. Only saving grace, I lived next to Hampden at time so was on couch 10 mins after game rather than queueing at Mount Florida

That night after the game I went for a pint with my brother who stayed in Glasgow. The goal was shown on TV and I shouted at the screen calling him a cheating *******. Turns out we were in the company of exclusively Rangers fans, one of who calmy took me aside and told me to shut up or he'd shoot me 😂

Was incredibly disconcerting. If he'd shouted me down it'd have made sense, but the quietness of it creeped me out 

5 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

The honkin' hooper match, all goals by him, plus a penalty shortly before HT

alan muir ref

Canna mind who but we 'scored' first too, clearly over line on video.

It's been done to death but the playing field is not level. Sport should always be about integrity first and foremost. There's even a term, sportsmanship.

They will win more often than not on level playing field, yet we have a set up that fundamentally does its level best to give them an additional advantage. Let's be honest, rangers more so. It upsets my soul. How can I teach my kids about winning honestly in our set up. Its not anti hearts or anyone else, it's just pro OF.

Still, I kinda fancy an upset Sunday...Hooe springs eternal.

1 minute ago, Bob Loblaw said:

That night after the game I went for a pint with my brother who stayed in Glasgow. The goal was shown on TV and I shouted at the screen calling him a cheating *******. Turns out we were in the company of exclusively Rangers fans, one of who calmy took me aside and told me to shut up or he'd shoot me 😂

Was incredibly disconcerting. If he'd shouted me down it'd have made sense, but the quietness of it creeped me out 

😂 can see why. Shouting is funny, calculated threats less so.

From the other end of stadium it was obvious, still annoys me.

Kids put some thing on YouTube earlier, decisions in football involving them. Showed the Davis / Miko one. 15 years later it made me angry and I like to think myself a reasonable middle aged man 🤦‍♂️😂

1 minute ago, FerryJambo81 said:

😂 can see why. Shouting is funny, calculated threats less so.

From the other end of stadium it was obvious, still annoys me.

Kids put some thing on YouTube earlier, decisions in football involving them. Showed the Davis / Miko one. 15 years later it made me angry and I like to think myself a reasonable middle aged man 🤦‍♂️😂

Never been so angry at a game as the Miko one. Still annoys me to this day when I watch the footage.

8 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Never been so angry at a game as the Miko one. Still annoys me to this day when I watch the footage.

Agreed mate. Coulda (nearly did) cause riot. Most blatant cheating ever. Funny thing when you watch, can actually see Dallas looking very unsure. That fat twat made it happen and won them the league. Was it Hugh (Keevins was it?) who said he should get rangers winners medal too, outrageous.

We are almost an hour in to the day before the big one

I saw enough last Sunday to feel a lot more confident about this than the last two times I travelled to Hampden to see us face these ****ing Hun dickheads 

Get the inferiority complexes in the bin . They are miles away from being a great team . If we get our shit together we are more than capable of beating them 

Let the build up start properly

Hearts Hearts Glorious Hearts 

Edited by Sooks

Selkirkhmfc1874
13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

We are almost an hour in to the day before the big one

I saw enough last Sunday to feel a lot more confident about this than the last two times I travelled to Hampden to see us face these ****ing Hun dickheads 

Get the inferiority complexes in the bin . They are miles away from being a great team . If we get our shit together we are more than capable of beating them 

Let the build up start properly

Hearts Hearts Glorious Hearts 

This ! Play like we did in 1st half last week for the full game and we got chance here , like you got far more hope than I did before last weeks game

If we play like we did first half last game then we might get a win. But we can't sit back and let them attack. We need to hit them full on. If we do we will win. Memories of Parkhead 96. 1-0 win for the JTs. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Jambo said:

If we play like we did first half last game then we might get a win. But we can't sit back and let them attack. We need to hit them full on. If we do we will win. Memories of Parkhead 96. 1-0 win for the JTs. 

If we play like that they will get some dubous pen or red card in their favour.

Nick Walsh and the other GFA officials will be well briefed.