Who do you want as our next manager?

gregzy2k7

33 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'm also on the McInnes train. Get it done before it's too late. 

Yep. McInnes for me too. whatever he costs in compensation and whatever he needs to convince him to come.  

We need someone we can tolerate for 3-4 seasons and get some stability and grit back into the football department. We are the softest team in the league by a distance and I want us to be the hardest. 

My only condition would be that he must mentor someone we choose to take over once he’s done. 

He’d mostly get the results we’d expect a club with our resources to get. We’ll be solid if unspectacular, he’ll get the odd result against the OF. He’ll take us to the latter stages of cups  and he won’t shit the bed going to places like Dundee. He’ll have the odd brainfart result but he’ll finish 3rd once he weeds the squad a bit and gets rid of people who’ve been coasting and thinking that’s okay

The guy is wasted at Kilmarnock. He’s got the nous and the petrol in the tank to manage a big club with better resources IMO

Edited by JimmyCant

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• OTT

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

20 minutes ago, OTT said:

Neilson would still be Hearts manager if he didn't lose those games and lost the dressing room. 

We can bump our gums about style of play, but its results that matter. 

Also, of the view style of play only matters if you look uncomfortable/bad at what you're trying to do. 

Would happily watch hoofball or counter attacking football if executed properly. 

One question on McInnes - no issue with him and Shanks from their Aberdeen days?

You say that but people were moaning when Neilson was winning games. 

We'd be in the exact same position in 2 years as we were with Neilson. 3rd or 4th but people will have the exact same gripes. 

31 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Aberdeen fans were fed up of the football they were playing under Mcinness. Hearts fan were fed up with the football we were playing under Neilson. 

Mcinness is a solid manager but is he really that much different to why people didn't like Neilson?

He was there for around 8 years, it was always going to happen. I wish we'd had him during that period. The Aberdeen fans were more than happy with him for the majority of his tenure.

Bobs second season in the Championship was dreadful from the start. Yes we got promoted but a potato would have achieved the same. 

I can't help but think that a backed McInness would be a really good fit for us. At least you know what you're getting with him, team selection, tactics etc. We wouldn't be looking at the listed starting 11 and wondering what formation we would be playing and who was playing where like we have been for god knows how many years now.

Edited by Bad Religion

Being realistic ideally I really think we should look at the Scandi leagues/other European leagues just below our level where we can compete financially. Find someone who's challenged for a title & see if we can tempt them over rather than someone who's teams are usually stuck fighting relegation/happy to sit in mid table in the English lower leagues or Scotland.

I really do think we have a lot to offer as a club. We're financially stable, we have a big support, great city, the squad doesn't need a huge overhaul, we give managers time (maybe too much sometimes), it's a realistic target to reach European football or domestic Cup Finals, chance to test yourself against huge well known clubs like Celtic & Rangers (cringe but it's true). Get in a proven winner even if not at a great level who ideally plays the type of football we want, let them bring in whoever they need to make their job easier & sell the positives to them even if we're just a stepping stone.

Ex member of the SaS

Sorry but NO to Mcinness, his teams are dire and boring, steady maybe but did Aberdeen dominate third when he was there? Our financial state should have third pretty much in the bag every season, maybe swapping with one other team something like the bigots do now. but a consistent third means more income ( from many sources ) and more income and a higher league position means we could attract better players. It's a self fulfilling system.

Off field is strong but without the on field we are nothing but another mid range company,

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

4 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

You say that but people were moaning when Neilson was winning games. 

We'd be in the exact same position in 2 years as we were with Neilson. 3rd or 4th but people will have the exact same gripes. 

People moan, its something to take with a grain of salt. Never going to please 100% of people. 

My first choice would not be McInnes as I've said elsewhere, that would be a foreign coach with all they bring, but the one thing I'll say about McInnes is that he simplifies the game, unlike what we have suffered for a few years now. Football is a simple game complicated by idiots. 

14 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

He was there for around 8 years, it was always going to happen. I wish we'd had him during that period. The Aberdeen fans were more than happy with him for the majority of his tenure.

Bobs second season in the Championship was dreadful from the start. Yes we got promoted but a potato would have achieved the same. 

I can't help but think that a backed McInness would be a really good fit for us. At least you know what you're getting with him, team selection, tactics etc. We wouldn't be looking at the listed starting 11 and wondering what formation we would be playing and who was playing where like we have been for god knows how many years now.

Neilson was a bottle merchant who often had the players available to play a bit more expansive football. His tactical strategy and mindset meant that a lot of those players underachieved. The squads he had underachieved in some senses. The next ugly performance or spell  was always just round the corner and he wouldn’t change or freshen when things needed changing and he didn’t really ever learn or develop

Edited by JimmyCant

2 hours ago, ScottieMac17 said:
A bit left-field but Quique Sánchez Flores (ex Watford manager) managed all over the world and at some big clubs. He is currently without a job after being punted by Getafe last season. 

Might be a little outside our budget but would be a great choice if could get him in 

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Pep Guardiola

Might as well go uber ridiculous because we aint getting anybody of any note anytime soon.

The SPFL is absolute dogshite with zero ambition to get anywhere near competitive, no players are coming, why the rubber duck anybody thinks any manager of note will come, its a stepping stone to the bottom of the ocean.

The sooner everyone realises the games goosed, the better. Without some lunatic with a massive bag of money, we've probably peaked.

There is no appetite for the Scottish game anywhere, read yesterday about the Wrexham boys looked at an Irish club first then thought about coming to Scotland but soon realised there was absolutely no way to break the duopoly. 3rd is easily doable with not much investment, but whats the point in that.

We're utilising every resource available and still cant compete.

Not disagreeing with what you say however getting Hearts into Europe every season and knocking on the door of a trophy is achievable and would raise the managers stock as well as satisfying the support

2 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Yeah, let's get a new pilot when the plane's missing parts; that'll work

The manager was supposed to get the parts needed for the season ahead in the summer. If he failed to do that, its on him.

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

The manager was supposed to get the parts needed for the season ahead in the summer. If he failed to do that, its on him.

Don't think it is; don't think Robbie got what he wanted in January either

It's starting to make sense why other managerial candidates over the last few years are just not getting the job

They wanted more money and perhaps more control over the signings

Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

It's starting to make sense why other managerial candidates over the last few years are just not getting the job

Naismith said he was happy with his squad. So either lying, or too clueless to know how poor it is.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, HopeDiouf said:

Naismith said he was happy with his squad. So either lying, or too clueless to know how poor it is.

Yeah, he's going to publically say "I'm not ******* happy"

1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Yeah, he's going to publically say "I'm not ******* happy"

So just bullshitting to placate the fans...not really what I want as a leader.

25 minutes ago, Andyp1874 said:

Might be a little outside our budget but would be a great choice if could get him in 

Yeah I don't think he would be cheap, however an appointment like this would tick all the boxes and it would be a statement of intent from us. 

Would pretty much be the opposite of the Naismith appointment in every way.

Ricardo Quaresma

So, you want someone stupid enough to say he's not ******* happy

Schwing Schwing

Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

So, you want someone stupid enough to say he's not ******* happy

Schwing Schwing

Yes I want a manager who will speak up if not happy with squad, rather than pretend he's happy and we get beat by Motherwell and Dundee and St mirren,  then blame the poor quality of players.

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Pep Guardiola

Pep doesn't have the cajones to manage a club who don't have an open cheque book 😁😁

Would like to see him take over Norwich and try to win the prem.

Might as well go uber ridiculous because we aint getting anybody of any note anytime soon.

The SPFL is absolute dogshite with zero ambition to get anywhere near competitive, no players are coming, why the rubber duck anybody thinks any manager of note will come, its a stepping stone to the bottom of the ocean.

The sooner everyone realises the games goosed, the better. Without some lunatic with a massive bag of money, we've probably peaked.

There is no appetite for the Scottish game anywhere, read yesterday about the Wrexham boys looked at an Irish club first then thought about coming to Scotland but soon realised there was absolutely no way to break the duopoly. 3rd is easily doable with not much investment, but whats the point in that.

Rodgers and Clement would disagree with that.

If a coach like a Wilder or an O'Neil for example, wanted to rebuild their reputation at a club like Hearts and do well for 2-3 seasons without the fear of being sacked, then gain a move back to the top end of the champ or lower end of prem, then I think they would certainly consider it as a viable option, even if it's less money and not as glamorous as England's leagues.

I have absolutely no problem with that and or being used as a stepping stone, if it means success for us over a couple of seasons then brilliant, I'm sure Rodgers and Clement will be using the old firm for that exact same purpose.

We're utilising every resource available and still cant compete.

Except we didn't utilise any money on bringing in a decent experienced manager when we had the glorious chance to in the summer before our season started.

Instead we scrimped and saved and hoped that Naismith would turn out to be great. But instead he turned out to be shite, that's not utilising every resource available imo.

Ricardo Quaresma
2 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Yes I want a manager who will speak up if not happy with squad, rather than pretend he's happy and we get beat by Motherwell and Dundee and St mirren,  then blame the poor quality of players.

'the poor quality of players'

That's what he said?

19 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Not disagreeing with what you say however getting Hearts into Europe every season and knocking on the door of a trophy is achievable and would raise the managers stock as well as satisfying the support

The support will never be satisfied, not sure if thats actually a bad thing, but the expectation levels are ridiculous.

Look at your post, we're in Europe every year now and two games away from lifting a cup and the managers stock has fell off a cliff to the point there's loads want him replaced.

3 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

When the inevitable happens..

Who would your choice be for our next manager?

I personally would quite like to see us push the boat out and go for either Chris Wilder or Kevin Muscat.

If we wanted a cheaper option albeit would have to pay compensation then I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Stephen Robinson.

A manager that plays attacking football and an aggressive high press,playing to our philosophy and what the fans want.

Ultimately we need a new DOF and to get recruitment sorted first.

Edit.

Naismith is trying this^.

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

The support will never be satisfied, not sure if thats actually a bad thing, but the expectation levels are ridiculous.

Look at your post, we're in Europe every year now and two games away from lifting a cup and the managers stock has fell off a cliff to the point there's loads want him replaced.

Yes, cause weve won 3 out of 9 league games including losing to St mirren, Dundee and Motherwell, who's combined budget prob about same as ours

1 hour ago, Ari Gold said:

Aberdeen fans were fed up of the football they were playing under Mcinness. Hearts fan were fed up with the football we were playing under Neilson. 

Mcinness is a solid manager but is he really that much different to why people didn't like Neilson?

Spot on.

I see, OK

Well what did you mean then. You said no point replacing pilot when

plane has broken parts.  What parts are broken?

Ricardo Quaresma

Well what did you mean then. You said no point replacing pilot when

plane has broken parts.  What parts are broken?

There's not enough players and not enough money for more

Whats the point in bringing in McInnes or Robinson? We would only moan our arses off again as he plays dull negative Neilsonesque football. It would be going round in circles and i doubt any of them would give us a good run in Europe if we even got there!

There's not enough players and not enough money for more

So do you reckon naismith knows that and just bullshitting fans to placate people?  Or too clueless to realise?

19 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

and theres another couple of seasons with the 3 of them in the dugout🤔🤔🤔

Ricardo Quaresma
4 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

So do you reckon naismith knows that and just bullshitting fans to placate people?  Or too clueless to realise?

He justs wants to get on with it

You're not going to get a manager in his situation moaning and not accepting the challenge

We've not even had a decent squad, at all, from season's start

The players we got arrived too late, but it was proven they can already get up for a fight and do well in the derby, before the double calamity

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

11 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Naismith turning round and berating the players will lose him the dressing room,the players know it's not good enough, so him going over the same points in an aggressive manner won't do any good.

Some players take criticism and go out and play like a man possessed.

To prove the doubters wrong.

Others can't handle criticism, and need the arm around them and told in a gentle manner,and the manager to keep on top of them, praising them when doing basics correct,why do that? To regain confidence.

I could take criticism,unfortunately you have to accept it,it's very much a part of life.

It's how you handle it.

The criticism that Joe received is not right,don't physically abuse or verbally abuse him.

Have an honest and dignified opinion and say what you think is going wrong.

That said Joe knows what he signed up for,and has to be aware he will be judged when the team in general isn't performing.

Again that's life, and I'm a supporter of Naismith but he does deserve criticism.

Footballers etc can't have it all ways,you ride with it when times are good,and when times are bad you give that wee bit more.

Fans will appreciate this and remember.

Edited by Bongo 1874

2 hours ago, leginten said:

Three wins out of their last five now. Maybe he has turned a corner.

Ahhh… thought they were doing 💩

38 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

January was a poor window. No doubt about that. But he was backed to an extent last summer that is probably unrivalled in our history in terms of cumulative transfer fee outlay. He then proceeded to spunk an unassailable lead in 3rd. 

4 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

When the inevitable happens..

Who would your choice be for our next manager?

I personally would quite like to see us push the boat out and go for either Chris Wilder or Kevin Muscat.

If we wanted a cheaper option albeit would have to pay compensation then I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Stephen Robinson.

I sincerely hope Naismìth and Co turn it around

Stephen Robinson though.... deary me.

Robinson for me, we need some stability and can't risk another gamble which many outside Scotland would be. He knows the league, good track record at getting clubs punching above their weight. Get us on an upward trajectory.

Some of the bigger names are never gonna happen imo, fans need some sense of perspective. Claims of "show some ambition" and the like have no substance, other than allowing them to come out with the I told you so, if/ when it goes wrong, and setting the bar so high that the new manager is already on the back foot with a section of fans from the moment they're announced. Some clown on Facebook this week claiming he called out the Bobo Glint manager before his stock was high (March), as if the club missed a trick and could simply phone the guy and he'd jump at the chance to take over. 

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

McInnes. It's his last chance at a big gig. He'd love a shot at a big club with fans & cash. It's all about consistency. 

It’s actually surprising that McInnes hasn’t washed up in Edinburgh at any stage of his career so far. It will definitely happen, either at our end or down the road.

1 minute ago, leginten said:

It’s actually surprising that McInnes hasn’t washed up in Edinburgh at any stage of his career so far. It will definitely happen, either at our end or down the road.

Hibs

39 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Yes, cause weve won 3 out of 9 league games including losing to St mirren, Dundee and Motherwell, who's combined budget prob about same as ours

The season is over then, shut the doors and sack everyone.

Great stuff.

Ricardo Quaresma
10 minutes ago, Carter said:

January was a poor window. No doubt about that. But he was backed to an extent last summer that is probably unrivalled in our history in terms of cumulative transfer fee outlay. He then proceeded to spunk an unassailable lead in 3rd. 

True, yes

But January was odd, aside from obviously not getting CP, I feel there was stuff going on that he just couldn't accept

The Kuol move was pretty odd and I have a very strong feeling that we were going to sign him, but newcastle booted the door in and waved the cash, maybe, maybe not

But January window was pivotal in what went after; he didn't seem to want Kuol and that means he was originally our target or he was foistered upon Robbie as a temporary player, which is not that great

Prefer the Board take required responsibility & do significant research.

(Of course this means them actually knowing what they're looking for -

ach! Stuff it! Who is in the hallway).

"Get an expert in to do research if you are unknowledgeable"

Edited by hmfc1440
Mistake

4 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Robinson for me, we need some stability and can't risk another gamble which many outside Scotland would be. He knows the league, good track record at getting clubs punching above their weight. Get us on an upward trajectory.

Some of the bigger names are never gonna happen imo, fans need some sense of perspective. Claims of "show some ambition" and the like have no substance, other than allowing them to come out with the I told you so, if/ when it goes wrong, and setting the bar so high that the new manager is already on the back foot with a section of fans from the moment they're announced. Some clown on Facebook this week claiming he called out the Bobo Glint manager before his stock was high (March), as if the club missed a trick and could simply phone the guy and he'd jump at the chance to take over. 

When you mention bigger names, there seems to an element on here that thinks that you go from the level of RN and SN, to Pep and Mourinho and nothing in between. Someone posted yesterday that if Kilmarnock could attract Clark and McInnes then that should be the minimum standard for us. Hearts and Edinburgh is a big attraction to many and should not be underestimated. The question is will the board really try next time to see how high a calibre of coach we could attract.