Quitting smoking

JFK-1

Unknown user
On 30/09/2023 at 07:08, JFK-1 said:

Now 4 weeks today, still holding out but would still love a fag, that's annoying.

**** aye, you've already done the hardest bit, well done.

I made the cigarette represent something. For me I focussed on the massive conglomerate taking my money to feed me a painful, cancerous death.

I'm really aware that I continued to smoke joints without tobacco though, I never dealt with missing that smoke inhalation hit.

But you've got this, the fags are arseholes and bring nothing to your life.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cazzyy

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• JFK-1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jingle Bells

Went on the giving up smoking course at the chemist. Nicotine Patches were good but the white stick nicotine  inhalers crap, so bought a Vap instead but used it as little as possible

When the patches ran out I gave the Vap up to. Very mild withdrawal systems for a couple of weeks only.

Thereafter no strong urges for a fag at all.

Still fancy one too but I then think of the amount of money that I wasted over a 50 year period on them.

If I did I would be back on 20 a day within a week.

Hope that helps

J.T.F.Robertson

Anyone tried hypnotherapy? I know it won't be the same for all but any success stories?

I'll have no willpower until it's too late.

It's not often in life you get a silver bullet...but I would say VAPING IS a silver bullet.  It really does almost count as non smoking in terms of safety.

If smoking is 100% bad..and non smoking is 0%, vaping comes in at about 3% on that scale.

Very good improvement 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
6 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Anyone tried hypnotherapy? I know it won't be the same for all but any success stories?

One of my mates went to a hypnotherapist at Portobello. First thing he did when he came out, after, was spark up a fag.

JudyJudyJudy

Take up knitting 🧶 something to do with your hands . That’s one of the problems when people try to give up 😂

I haven't been using any nicotine replacement methods at all and now I don't think that I was even addicted to the nicotine, or at least not chronically. I think I have been addicted to the very act of smoking, and I still am to some degree but still not smoking. This is day 33

I never though I could quit smoking which is why I gave it so little thought over the years. Recently, I don't know why, I decided I was just sort of sick of it, didn't even enjoy it as such anymore. Plus I was experiencing this thing I hadn't really noticed before, I was waking up in the mornings with this taste of tar or something in my throat from the smoking.

The challenge from my wife to stop it just came at the right time. Next day I woke up with just 2 fags left in a pack and decided I will smoke these 2 then i'm done. Think I was already sick of smoking and looking for a prompt to stop it.

Edited by JFK-1

jack D and coke
On 04/10/2023 at 18:27, JudyJudyJudy said:

Bet  Youseff is glad health is devolved. Imagine the lost revenue in Scotland > 

Eh? A bizarre post but you think the fag duty comes to holyrood?
giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d77osavt6hgoa1ju56j8
Anyway good luck JFK you’ve broken it’s back. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Eh? A bizarre post but you think the fag duty comes to holyrood?
giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d77osavt6hgoa1ju56j8
Anyway good luck JFK you’ve broken it’s back. 

381699389_879151233568340_5407056761620789159_n.jpg

19 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

[big photo deleted]

I think he means that you could have had your cheap jibe about the SNP without at the same time showing off your lack of understanding of how the taxation and budgeting processes work in the UK.

Do you want to post the Mrs Slocombe flicking the vickies gif in reply to this, or will we just pretend you have and save the internet bandwidth?  :laugh: :runaway: 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I think he means that you could have had your cheap jibe about the SNP without at the same time showing off your lack of understanding of how the taxation and budgeting processes work in the UK.

Do you want to post the Mrs Slocombe flicking the vickies gif in reply to this, or will we just pretend you have and save the internet bandwidth?  :laugh: :runaway: 

Yeah I eventually worked that out 

58 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I haven't been using any nicotine replacement methods at all and now I don't think that I was even addicted to the nicotine, or at least not chronically. I think I have been addicted to the very act of smoking, and I still am to some degree but still not smoking. This is day 33

I never though I could quit smoking which is why I gave it so little thought over the years. Recently, I don't know why, I decided I was just sort of sick of it, didn't even enjoy it as such anymore. Plus I was experiencing this thing I hadn't really noticed before, I was waking up in the mornings with this taste of tar or something in my throat from the smoking.

The challenge from my wife to stop it just came at the right time. Next day I woke up with just 2 fags left in a pack and decided I will smoke these 2 then i'm done. Think I was already sick of smoking and looking for a prompt to stop it.

You're doing good JFK, keep it up. 

Today I experienced something that I haven't before. Someone came in from a fag shelter and all I thought was he's fecking stinking, did I used to smell that bad?

21 minutes ago, superjack said:

You're doing good JFK, keep it up. 

Today I experienced something that I haven't before. Someone came in from a fag shelter and all I thought was he's fecking stinking, did I used to smell that bad?

Just noticed something new myself though an odd thing. I can be around people smoking, doesn't bother me. But I just noticed and not for the first time that I have a thing about seeing someone smoke on film.

If I see people smoke on film, I want to smoke too.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Just noticed something new myself though an odd thing. I can be around people smoking, doesn't bother me. But I just noticed and not for the first time that I have a thing about seeing someone smoke on film.

Yes thats def a thing . I got rid of my ash trays in the house , anything related to smoking . 

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'd be the opposite.  Smoking on screen - meh.  Smoking around me - nope.

Question for you, and feel free not to answer.  Do you have friends/pals/workmates who smoke?

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I'd be the opposite.  Smoking on screen - meh.  Smoking around me - nope.

Question for you, and feel free not to answer.  Do you have friends/pals/workmates who smoke?

Few and far between, smokers are becoming rarer all the time. They're either dead or quitting I suppose, losers Trump would say. 

7 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Few and far between, smokers are becoming rarer all the time. They're either dead or quitting I suppose, losers Trump would say. 

Understood.  Unfortunately, they are a bad influence if you're quitting.  They probably don't intend to be, but they are.

jack D and coke
26 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I understood what you said earlier about still thinking you could just pick one up and smoke away. That happened to me a few times and I ended up succumbing when I’d tried to stop but the last time I’ve no idea what happened and something just clicked. I barely had a craving and 7 years past July since I had one and I utterly despise the habit. 
Do you drink at all? Reason I ask is I noticed how much better i felt next day after I didn’t smoke. 
I can’t think of any one bit of advice I’d give other than try to make yourself hate it. See it for the foul, disgusting habit it is. 
Good luck. 

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Do you drink at all? Reason I ask is I noticed how much better i felt next day after I didn’t smoke.

I'm not a teetotaler, in fact I have had more lost weekends than I could count but I haven't had a drink in over 10 years. I didn't make a decision to stop, I moved to the US where there isn't the same pub/drinking culture and where I was separated from my old drinking crowd, plus married a teetotal wife.

Or if not teetotal as close to it as you can get while still partaking in things like a celebratory glass of wine or something.

But speaking of smoking I would smoke a lot while drinking tea/coffee so I miss that for one thing.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm not a teetotaler, in fact I have had more lost weekends than I could count but I haven't had a drink in over 10 years. I didn't make a decision to stop, I moved to the US where there isn't the same pub/drinking culture and where I was separated from my old drinking crowd, plus married a teetotal wife.

Or if not teetotal as close to it as you can get while still partaking in things like a celebratory glass of wine or something.

But speaking of smoking I would smoke a lot while drinking tea/coffee so I miss that for one thing.

Right ok…how many of those fags do you actually enjoy? That was one thing I got into my head. I enjoyed a smoke after my dinner but once explained to me I didn’t enjoy so many of the other ones cos I smoked them just for that one after my dinner. 
So many times it really wasn’t enjoyable. 
I can’t be alone…

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Right ok…how many of those fags do you actually enjoy? That was one thing I got into my head. I enjoyed a smoke after my dinner but once explained to me I didn’t enjoy so many of the other ones cos I smoked them just for that one after my dinner. 
So many times it really wasn’t enjoyable. 
I can’t be alone…

Nah that was one of my main realisations in quitting too. Enjoyed about 3 from the pack and the rest were smoked purely out of habit or boredom. I even remember being halfway through some thinking that it was ****ing horrible. 

Unknown user
23 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

When I quit I was just ready to quit, but I ran with one "trick."

I left a fair bit of tobacco for the date I was quitting, maybe double what I'd normally go through, and forced myself to power smoke through it and get it finished. It was ****ing rank, and a really effective scunneration for me.

henrysmithsgloves
On 05/10/2023 at 02:33, J.T.F.Robertson said:

*Awaiting the jokes😁

• 4 months later...
PortyJambo

Vaping about to be taxed at the next budget according to the media (leaks) today. That's going to cut down on people quitting the fags by using vaping as an alternative if it is almost as expensive. It will also no doubt lead to black market vapes being more common.

Supposedly to make it too expensive for kids to buy and get addicted to. Here's an idea, come down hard on anyone that sells it to kids, and ban the ones that are packaged to be attractive to kids, rather than just making it expensive for everyone. But, hey, that won't add money to the coffers like a new tax will 😡

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Vaping about to be taxed at the next budget according to the media (leaks) today. That's going to cut down on people quitting the fags by using vaping as an alternative if it is almost as expensive. It will also no doubt lead to black market vapes being more common.

Supposedly to make it too expensive for kids to buy and get addicted to. Here's an idea, come down hard on anyone that sells it to kids, and ban the ones that are packaged to be attractive to kids, rather than just making it expensive for everyone. But, hey, that won't add money to the coffers like a new tax will 😡

If only there was some mechanism to raise public funds from the incomes of the rich. 

But it aint easy when you're a multi millionaire married into a billionaire family paying a net tax rate of 23 %.  Just where do you start ? 

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

True . 

12 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

According to the media articles published in the last couple of days, it's estimated that the extra duty on tobacco and vaping products will yield up to £500 million for the UK-wide Exchequer.  So when you consider that total tax revenues are running at over £780 billion, in fairness you'd have to conclude that it's not actually about the additional revenue.

That said, I'm not sure taxing vaping products is the answer.  They tried taxing tobacco to price it out of reach of young people, and that didn't work, so it's hard to see how it would work with vaping.

27 minutes ago, Ked said:

That's why drugs should remain illegal.

Getting taxed/robbed is fekin endemic

Contraband tobacco and drugs generate big sums of money for an underground industry in which huge untaxed profits are made by organised criminals.

Legal and taxed tobacco and drugs generate big sums of money for the government, who then use it to pay for public services or else to avoid raising other taxes.

If only there was some way to figure out which of those was worse.