Quitting smoking

JFK-1

Decided to stop smoking 16 days ago after being sort of prodded into it, my own fault actually. The wife spent almost $3,000 on what I deemed to be a waste of money, I said so, that resulted in a threat to chuck away 3 grand on garbage at least once every year while I continue spending about 3 grand a year on ciggies.

I should have conceded, apologised and left it at that then got back to having a smoke. Instead I stupidly allowed myself to be badgered into stopping smoking, and since i'm one of those I started so I will finish kind it's tearing me up. I had been smoking about 20 a day for decades, just the habit is hard to break far less a nicotine addiction.

One thing is keeping me going, I really can't believe how much easier my breathing is and in fact I can feel benefits all round, after just one day I felt it. This is still hard, very hard, but that's what's keeping me going, this clear and rapid improvement in health. Plus the promise if I last a year well I can then spend 3 grand on any old shit I feel like. Man she's so gullible, and will regret that big time. Providing I stick it out.

Edited by JFK-1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cazzyy

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• JFK-1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Decided to stop smoking 16 days ago after being sort of prodded into it, my own fault actually. The wife spent almost $3,000 on what I deemed to be a waste of money, I said so, that resulted in a threat to chuck away 3 grand on garbage at least once every year while I continue spending about 3 grand a year on ciggies.

I should have conceded, apologised and left it at that then got back to having a smoke. Instead I stupidly allowed myself to be badgered into stopping smoking, and since i'm one of those I started so I will finish kind it's tearing me up. I had been smoking about 20 a day for decades, just the habit is hard to break far less a nicotine addiction.

One thing is keeping me going, I really can't believe how much easier my breathing is and in fact I can feel benefits all round, after just one day I felt it. This is still hard, very hard, but that's what's keeping me going, this clear and rapid improvement in health. Plus the promise if I last a year well I can then spend 3 grand on any old shit I feel like. Man she's so gullible, and will regret that big time. Providing I stick it out.

Keep in there. I've been off for almost weeks now. What I find really helps is going to the gym.

What catches me out every time is I also enjoy a nice herbal smoke. A couple of visits with mates and I end up on joints. Not had any blow for 4 weeks and I'm giving my monthly purchase a miss in October.

33 minutes ago, superjack said:

Keep in there. I've been off for almost weeks now. What I find really helps is going to the gym.

What catches me out every time is I also enjoy a nice herbal smoke. A couple of visits with mates and I end up on joints. Not had any blow for 4 weeks and I'm giving my monthly purchase a miss in October.

By chance I quit smoking weed a couple of months ago, dunno if I could have stopped while still smoking weed. Which btw isn't to say I quit THC, I simply switched the delivery method from weed to vape which is far healthier plus far cheaper.

I'm in a funny place where I don't think I actually crave nicotine, but I do crave a fag. When i'm home I puff on my cannabis vape, when not home and if I were say at work I actually continue my old habit in a way. I take smoke breaks, I go to my old smoking spots but I don't smoke.

I take deep breaths and marvel at how much that has been improving since day one. There's a definite extra spring in my step and I think it even makes my cannabis vape more potent due to lungs being cleared of smoking induced mucus and more.

But, man I would love a fag. Seen online stuff saying that might stop around the 6 week mark, but might not. I'm still counting days, i'm now into day 17.   

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Well done and stick to it. It gets easier every day.

I gave up the fags 16 years ago. Admittedly I enjoyed a smoke. Given the cost of them now I'm thinking thank feck I did. I'm not rich enough to smoke. 

Edited by Marvin

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

By chance I quit smoking weed a couple of months ago, dunno if I could have stopped while still smoking weed. Which btw isn't to say I quit THC, I simply switched the delivery method from weed to vape which is far healthier plus far cheaper.

I'm in a funny place where I don't think I actually crave nicotine, but I do crave a fag. When i'm home I puff on my cannabis vape, when not home and if I were say at work I actually continue my old habit in a way. I take smoke breaks, I go to my old smoking spots but I don't smoke.

I take deep breaths and marvel at how much that has been improving since day one. There's a definite extra spring in my step and I think it even makes my cannabis vape more potent due to lungs being cleared of smoking induced mucus and more.

But, man I would love a fag. Seen online stuff saying that might stop around the 6 week mark, but might not. I'm still counting days, i'm now into day 17.   

I went over to vapes about 7 years ago and stopped them about 3 years ago and I would still swap my first born for a cigarette now, not really but the still wanting one hasn't gone away completely.

19 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

I went over to vapes about 7 years ago and stopped them about 3 years ago and I would still swap my first born for a cigarette now, not really but the still wanting one hasn't gone away completely.

I considered quitting the fags but weaning myself off nicotine with vapes, but decided to just go cold turkey so to speak, be completely done with it once and for all. Hopefully, I never tried stopping before and apparently most people try more than once before succeeding if at all. 

I need to get back off them. Started again in lockdown due to boredom.

It's all mental, the physical addiction is over very quick. I make all sorts of excuses as to putting it off and it's actually pathetic when you think of the fact you are spending thousands to make yourself ill. That's addiction for you I suppose.

Keep at mate. 

jack D and coke

Don’t even think about the money, it’s irrelevant. 7 and a half years off the snouts and I can’t believe I even smoked at all now. 
Don’t lie to yourself that you like it or enjoy it it’s nonsense. You maybe enjoy or slightly enjoy one of those fags a day and you smoke all the rest for that one. 
It’s an absolutely fecking foul, disgusting habit and you smell like an old tramp after having one. 
You’ll be glad you quit. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Well done. One of best decisions I’ve made, stopped last august I’d say the 2 month mark was when I stopped thinking about having a fag. I knew my weakness was gonna be at the weekends when the bevy starts flowing so I allowed myself a vape if im drinking fri or sat. Taste buds being able to taste again was probs the biggest factor in helping me stop. I was never a big eater before but all I could think about was food I wanted to get my hands on next. All the best mate, hopefully you can see it through. 

4 days is all it takes to get clear of the addiction. The rest is purely mentality.

Social situations and the typical association with booze being a big factor for many.

One thing I've noticed is hyper-sensitivity to 2nd hand fag smoke. It's a real phenomenon whereby, for example, waiting on a bus and someone else's exhaled puff passes one's nostrils. Boak inducing!

The bloke at the recent wummin's derby at Tynie puffing away on his vape with a newborn baby in a carry-cot by his side must have it bad!

As for the cost? €4.60 the other week in Thessonaliki. We get ripped off big time in 'Treasure Island' Britain, but I'm not too bothered about that other than it makes dodgy contraband fu' o' crap ingredients more attractive for illegal importers.

A quick off topic thought. €1.80 for the bus from Thessanoliki airport to the city centre. 17km. We really do get the piss ripped right out of us.

Anyhoo, stick in @JFK-1, and, yes ...

41 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Easiest thing in the world when the penny drops.

You actually have to want to give up. 

Not necessarily the easiest thing in the world, but you're spot-on with your succinct last sentence. 👍

I smoked now and then . Usually on nights out . But couple years ago had mouth cancer scare . Looked up on Google about it and promptly gave up that day . There is absolutely zero positives in smoking . I can’t even believe I did it. I think the best thing is complete cold Turkey .

jack D and coke

Don’t even consider vaping to fill the gap either. 
An absolutely pathetic and pitiful habit that’s even worse than smoking imo. 
Like a dummy tit for an adult. 

Mum and dad where both full time smokers. I've never took a draw or a puff of anything in my life. Think it's a disgusting smell and when speaking to people who smoke so much everyday their breath stinks aswell. My dad woke up one day and realised this and literally gave them up there and then and hasn't went back and that's been about 15 years. Mum still smokes but now only smokes outside. When she's looking after her grandchildren she doesn't smoke until they are away home again. So I can see her cutting but hopefully before giving it up.

Never seen the point in it at all. Not sure how people ever managed to get addicted to it 

When I was young and had very little disposal money, I decided that I wouldn't waste that money on cigarettes (I spent it on Hearts instead).  I was the only non-smoker in my circle of family and friends.

I simply never started smoking as there was always something else I preferred spending my money on.  Now, many years later, I don't know one person who smokes.  Not one.

The health problems from smoking are well-documented, so good luck to all those trying to quit.

It's great that you're feeling immediate health benefits and that £3,000 spending spree is a great carrot to aim for.

There will be hard times ahead when the novelty of better health wears off and you're bored or pished and craving a fag. 

Keep strong, willpower is the way to go.

I remember about 30 years ago on a Thursday night in the Ormelie in Joppa. I was in with a big group of pals (mixed gender, all from school). From memory there was around 20 of us and only one non-smoker. 

Only one of that 20 smokes now. I stopped in February 2012. If I can manage the stress of the build up to 19/05/12 without a smoke I can handle anything😀 

14 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I've never smoked but, out of interest, were the gruesome images you see on cigarette packs (assuming they have them in the US) ever a deterrent/make you think twice? Or, were they just ignored as you were going to smoke them regardless?

I don't think I'd be even remotely put off having a beer if they put equally bad images on tins of beer, so I assume it's the same for smokers.

Edited by Jambos_1874

10 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I've never smoked but, out of interest, were the gruesome images you see on cigarette packs (assuming they have them in the US) ever a deterrent/make you think twice? Or, were they just ignored as you were going to smoke them regardless?

I don't think I'd be even remotely put off having a beer if they put equally bad images on tins of beer, so I assume it's the same for smokers.

They don't have the images in the US, but it was meaningless to me when I was in UK. No more Intimidating than somebody saying if you step outside you might be hit by a bus, and squashed like this pic.

18 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Don’t even consider vaping to fill the gap either. 
An absolutely pathetic and pitiful habit that’s even worse than smoking imo. 
Like a dummy tit for an adult. 

Vaping is aimed at kids. When I was 14 I couldn't buy strawberry flavoured fags. I personally think vaping is worse for your health than what fags are. 

A quick shout out to the Allen Carr book - The Easy Way To Stop Smoking.

I don't normally go in for this self help malarkey, but that book got me and my parents off the cigs years ago. Sort off changes your attitude to the habit. 

Anyone who considers vaping as a viable alternative for smoking are frankly not serious about quitting. 

Anyone who thinks they can still partake in smoking or vaping cannabis but quit the fags are deluded. 

I have never seen anyone successfully quit unless they went full cold turkey and and completely cut it out their lives. It certainly ain’t easy but doable but there is no short cuts or alternatives to make it easier imo. 

Good luck to anyone attempting to quit. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

il Duce McTarkin
27 minutes ago, Life Aquatic said:

A quick shout out to the Allen Carr book - The Easy Way To Stop Smoking.

I don't normally go in for this self help malarkey, but that book got me and my parents off the cigs years ago. Sort off changes your attitude to the habit. 

I read it 23 years ago and haven't touched a tobacco product since.

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Anyone who thinks they can still partake in smoking or vaping cannabis but quit the fags are deluded. 

Apart from all the folk who've quit the fags for a couple of decades but continue to enjoy a wee pipe now and again.

1 minute ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I read it 23 years ago and haven't touched a tobacco product since.

Apart from all the folk who've quit the fags for a couple of decades but continue to enjoy a wee pipe now and again.

Who are all these folk who enjoy an occasional pipe? Possibly just yourself?

It’s just temptation that the vast majority of folk don’t need when they are quitting. Like an alcoholic visiting a pub and drinking non alcoholic beer or having a shandy. 

You might get someone who has quit 20 years ago able to do it…but for someone who currently stopping it is temptation that is no needed. 

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Vaping is aimed at kids. When I was 14 I couldn't buy strawberry flavoured fags. I personally think vaping is worse for your health than what fags are

The proof says otherwise.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Anyone who considers vaping as a viable alternative for smoking are frankly not serious about quitting. 

I have never seen anyone successfully quit unless they went full cold turkey and and completely cut it out their lives. It certainly ain’t easy but doable but there is no short cuts or alternatives to make it easier imo. 

I could meet you before the next home game, then you will have met someone who went to vapes before stopping completely.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I gave up tobacco 13 years ago and still smoke weed

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, cazzyy said:

I could meet you before the next home game, then you will have met someone who went to vapes before stopping completely.

My Mrs did the same. Gradually reduced the nicoteine in the vape before chucking it altogether after 6 months. 10 years tobacco free for her.

2 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

I gave up tobacco 13 years ago and still smoke weed

Deluded, bud. 

I gave up smoking 40 a day, about 7 yrs ago,

went to mike smith at napier university at colinton, (he wrote the hearts books) for hypnotherapy,doesnt put you under, just speaks

Best £100 i ever spent, for 2 sittings,

admittingly did have to buy new clothes and bedding, the smell lingers on your stuff for days/weeks

3 hours ago, cazzyy said:

The proof says otherwise.

Isn't the proof fabricated by the tobacco companies to make it appear more 'healthy' and at the same time getting youngsters hooked on them with the various flavours and colourful packaging?

I stopped. It was actually the nicotine chewing gum and some patches that sorted me out. 

Within about a month or so as well. Just make sure you get the right strengths. I got given the patches and the guy was a heavier smoker than me evidently. Was up all night staring at the ceiling like I'd been partying with Tony Montana off of the nicotine hit. 

Quit (again) a year ago .

vape when I feel like it.

It took 3 months to lose the weight I’d chucked on though .

i need the crutch of the vape for when I’m stressed

30 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Isn't the proof fabricated by the tobacco companies to make it appear more 'healthy' and at the same time getting youngsters hooked on them with the various flavours and colourful packaging?

There’s lots of proof out there already. Tobacco causes cancer, vapes don’t have tobacco in them. The chemicals within vapes are low and significantly lower than cigarettes. There is no proof to date that vapes cause cancer. 

I don’t smoke, never have. But having lost members of my family to lung cancer I do keep an eye on these discussions. 

il Duce McTarkin
8 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

I'm not with you

I gave up tobacco in 2001 and continued to enjoy a wee pipe of weed. Alim up there says folk that think that's possible are deluded, which woud include you and about another dozen folk that I know.

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Why would the tobacco companies make vaping more attractive than a tobacco product?

No doubt the flavours and packaging are attractive to youngsters, I reckon both will get regulated in time.

1 hour ago, Bungalow Bill said:

There’s lots of proof out there already. Tobacco causes cancer, vapes don’t have tobacco in them. The chemicals within vapes are low and significantly lower than cigarettes. There is no proof to date that vapes cause cancer. 

I don’t smoke, never have. But having lost members of my family to lung cancer I do keep an eye on these discussions. 

Correct, that's not to say that vaping is safe but pretty much everyone who has studied it says that it is safer than cigarette smoking 

2 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I gave up tobacco in 2001 and continued to enjoy a wee pipe of weed. Alim up there says folk that think that's possible are deluded, which woud include you and about another dozen folk that I know.

Ah gotcha, I thought you were talking about the Duke of the moon thing.

1 hour ago, cazzyy said:

Why would the tobacco companies make vaping more attractive than a tobacco product?

No doubt the flavours and packaging are attractive to youngsters, I reckon both will get regulated in time.

I'm sure a picture of lemons on vape packaging is more appealing to kids than a picture of diseased lungs on a pack of fags.

58 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'm sure a picture of lemons on vape packaging is more appealing to kids than a picture of diseased lungs on a pack of fags.

Vapes were around long before the tobacco companies got involved in them though.

Day 18 and while I find myself not thinking so much of smoking it's still there. At first I couldn't pass an hour without thinking of smoking, that's becoming gradually longer.

And I think I'm sleeping more, that's an odd one.

24 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Day 18 and while I find myself not thinking so much of smoking it's still there. At first I couldn't pass an hour without thinking of smoking, that's becoming gradually longer.

And I think I'm sleeping more, that's an odd one.

I'm almost through my 4th week. I was along at my mates having a few drinks on Friday, he's stopped as well. Even though we know there was baccie in his house (his Mrs still smokes), we never even considered it once. 

I know what you mean about the sleeping thing, I've noticed that as well. On the other hand, It's only been this week since ive started shitting properly again.

9 hours ago, superjack said:

I'm almost through my 4th week. I was along at my mates having a few drinks on Friday, he's stopped as well. Even though we know there was baccie in his house (his Mrs still smokes), we never even considered it once. 

I know what you mean about the sleeping thing, I've noticed that as well. On the other hand, It's only been this week since ive started shitting properly again.

I think that might have been hard for me, if ciggies were available in the house. I think certainly at this stage that might be too much of a temptation for me sometimes.

As it stands I would have to go out and drive a couple of miles or so round trip to get ciggies when I have a craving. I'm managing to resist that.

On 19/09/2023 at 05:49, JFK-1 said:

Filipino bride? 

I quit right at the start of lockdown, vaped for a couple of months but chucked that as well.  I could easily start again though and unfortunately the snacking as a replacement is a nightmare.

At 6p a unit guess we'll all be giving up the bevy soon as well.

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think that might have been hard for me, if ciggies were available in the house. I think certainly at this stage that might be too much of a temptation for me sometimes.

As it stands I would have to go out and drive a couple of miles or so round trip to get ciggies when I have a craving. I'm managing to resist that.

Because we were sitting in his barn, and his Mrs was in the house madenit easier. If I smelt her baccie it would probably have been different.

Something I've noticed previous, if I smell someone smoking tipped fags it doesn't affect me at all, only when I smell roll ups.