Quitting smoking

JFK-1

All roads lead to Gorgie
On 20/09/2023 at 13:05, Marvin said:

Isn't the proof fabricated by the tobacco companies to make it appear more 'healthy' and at the same time getting youngsters hooked on them with the various flavours and colourful packaging?

If they are aimed at smokers why not just make them tobacco flavour 😀

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cazzyy

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• JFK-1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gave up when fags went up to 50p a packet. I thought 'I'm not paying ten bob for 20 cigs '

My dad was a forty a day man from his teens, starting during WW2 when all soldiers got a large cigarette ration, something mental like 300 a week. Whilst serving in France, Holland and Germany he always kept some back as it was thought you could bribe your safe passage home as cigarette were that scarce. When he was about 75 got up one morning didn't fancy one and never had another.

When I was about five he taught me how how to roll me own ( saved him a job ) not sure that would be considered great parenting these days. Still we had to make our fun then.

Edited by Owlvisiting
Spelling

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 20/09/2023 at 08:57, AlimOzturk said:

Anyone who considers vaping as a viable alternative for smoking are frankly not serious about quitting. 

Anyone who thinks they can still partake in smoking or vaping cannabis but quit the fags are deluded. 

I have never seen anyone successfully quit unless they went full cold turkey and and completely cut it out their lives. It certainly ain’t easy but doable but there is no short cuts or alternatives to make it easier imo. 

Good luck to anyone attempting to quit. 

I've been doing this since I quit tobacco, in 2009. I find it incredibly easy, and wish I'd done it sooner.

Fwiw the folk having a dig and saying “I vape and don’t smoke fags..” or “

“I puff cannabis but don’t touch fags”

The thread is titled quitting smoking. Yes, you are deluded if you think

swapping fags for vaping is actually quitting. You are simply

swapping the methods of which you consume nicotine.  😂

I stopped smoking about 8 years ago. Went onto a vape for a few months then binned it. Never smoked since and don’t miss it. It’s disgusting and vaping is just as bad, they should be banned from sale and only used as a aid to stop which they were advertised as when they first appeared. It’s like begging to get cancer if you smoke and you get to be a smelly ***** at the same time.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

There's no nicotine in cannabis, bud. 👍

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yeah, no

32 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

There's no nicotine in cannabis, bud. 👍

30 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Yeah, no

Fully aware there is no nicotine in cannabis. If you are smoking it or vaping it, it is still ****ing up your lungs. Most folk also mix tobacco and weed together. 

Folk puffing on these machines and blowing out huge clouds of vapour into the air, thinking they have quit smoking :rofl: naw, ye haven’t. 

Anyways, each to their own.

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Fully aware there is no nicotine in cannabis. If you are smoking it or vaping it, it is still ****ing up your lungs. Most folk also mix tobacco and weed together. 

Folk puffing on these machines and blowing out huge clouds of vapour into the air, thinking they have quit smoking :rofl: naw, ye haven’t. 

Remind me, don't you drink every day?

22 hours ago, indianajones said:

A massive strain on the NHS. Selfish addiction. 

All the best with quitting though. 

Made a right arse out of this but got there in the end.

Screenshot_20230922-111240~2.png

Screenshot_20230922-111215~2.png

Edited by cazzyy

6 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Remind me, don't you drink every day?

Not had a drink in 7 weeks mate. 

But aye, I do like a drink. What’s yer point and what has my alcohol consumption got to do with smoking?

5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

But aye, I do like a drink. What’s yer point and what has my alcohol consumption got to do with smoking?

Thats a low blow from him . 

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Congrats. It was the hypocrisy mate.

17 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Agreed . 

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Nicotine is fairly harmless though. It's all the other stuff in tobacco that does the damage and there's none of that in a vape.

I think you need to read up a wee bit more on the subject before calling folk deluded.

Just now, cazzyy said:

Nicotine is fairly harmless though. It's all the other stuff in tobacco that does the damage and there's none of that in a vape.

I think you need to read up a wee bit more on the subject before calling folk deluded.

He’s saying there is still possibly harmful substances travelling to the lungs due to smoking vapes ? Also using a vape can cause harm to the lips and inside the mouth and Throat and no doubt cause cancers of those areas. 

5 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Congrats. It was the hypocrisy mate.

It would be hypocritical if I was having a go at folk for smoking or using cannabis which am not and have never done. I really couldn’t care if folk smoke or consume cannabis or not..it’s their bodies and money. However trying to tell yourself that you have stopped while puffing joints and vapes is akin to me saying I have stopped drinking by swapping vodka for beer. 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

He’s saying there is still possibly harmful substances travelling to the lungs due to smoking vapes ? Also using a vape can cause harm to the lips and inside the mouth and Throat and no doubt cause cancers of those areas. 

He was suggesting that vaping is simply swapping smoking for vaping with similar outcomes. 

I'm not claiming vaping is totally safe but it is much safer than tobacco smoking.

I'd also like to see some evidence that vaping "no doubt causes cancer of the mouth".

Screenshot_20230922-112823~2.png

6 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

Maybe less harmful than fags but still harmful and unfortunately far more

accessible and available to children. 

3 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

He was suggesting that vaping is simply swapping smoking for vaping with similar outcomes. 

I'm not claiming vaping is totally safe but it is much safer than tobacco smoking.

I'd also like to see some evidence that vaping "no doubt causes cancer of the mouth".

Screenshot_20230922-112823~2.png

I can Google too 

https://www.everydayhealth.com/oral-head-neck-cancer/can-vaping-cause-throat-cancer/#:~:text=As reported in a 2020,that doesn't go away.

IMG_5745.jpeg

il Duce McTarkin
36 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I'm not 'most folk'.

Never have been, never will be.

Chucked the baccy 22/23 years ago.

A wee sook on the green through a pipe fashioned from a spent vitamin T can isn't going to change any of the above.

Just now, cazzyy said:

A screenshot from the article you posted. Hardly screams "no doubt" does it?

Screenshot_20230922-114013~2.png

There is a risk . Simple as that. 

Some ingredients found in vapes

- nicotine, highly addictive and not as harmless as you would think. Can affect the development in adolescent brains. 

- propylene glycol, used in anti freeze and artificial fog machines 

- benzene, found in car exhaust smoke. 

- discetyl, proven to cause lung disease. Aka popcorn lung. 

- metals such as nickel, led and tin. 

and more. 

it’s totally unregulated as well. You often have no idea what you ingesting. 

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/e-cigarettes-vaping/whats-in-an-e-cigarette#:~:text=Nicotine – a highly addictive substance,cancer%2C including acetaldehyde and formaldehyde

14 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It would be hypocritical if I was having a go at folk for smoking or using cannabis which am not and have never done. I really couldn’t care if folk smoke or consume cannabis or not..it’s their bodies and money. However trying to tell yourself that you have stopped while puffing joints and vapes is akin to me saying I have stopped drinking by swapping vodka for beer. 

The title may say stopping smoking, but the OP's about tobacco btw.

I felt it was hypocritical because you're having a pop at people damaging themselves every day, while damaging yourself every day. Kudos to you for quitting though, I mean that.

1 minute ago, cazzyy said:

Nobody has denied that.

So it’s better not to vape then , ? Not to glamorise it as a healthier option to tobacco ? 

5 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I'm not 'most folk'.

Never have been, never will be.

Chucked the baccy 22/23 years ago.

A wee sook on the green through a pipe fashioned from a spent vitamin T can isn't going to change any of the above.

Fair enough man. Got my own vices so would never judge anyone on their own lifestyles. Each to their as i said earlier. 

il Duce McTarkin
8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Fair enough man. Got my own vices so would never judge anyone on their own lifestyles. Each to their as i said earlier. 

👍

I hope your vices fill your life with as much peasure as mines do, bud.

21 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Some ingredients found in vapes

- nicotine, highly addictive and not as harmless as you would think. Can affect the development in adolescent brains. 

- propylene glycol, used in anti freeze and artificial fog machines 

- benzene, found in car exhaust smoke. 

- discetyl, proven to cause lung disease. Aka popcorn lung. 

- metals such as nickel, led and tin. 

and more. 

it’s totally unregulated as well. You often have no idea what you ingesting. 

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/e-cigarettes-vaping/whats-in-an-e-cigarette#:~:text=Nicotine – a highly addictive substance,cancer%2C including acetaldehyde and formaldehyde

Nicotine - addictive but relatively harmless.

Propylene glycol -  a completely harmless chemical that also makes asthma inhalers work.

Benzene - under normal vaping conditions, you need to vape 125 mL e-liquid per day to be negatively exposed.

Diacetyl - banned in the UK in e-cigarettes and e-liquid.

Edited by cazzyy

18 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

So it’s better not to vape then , ? Not to glamorise it as a healthier option to tobacco ? 

It's better not to vape but as an aid to stop smoking it is a good option.

1 minute ago, cazzyy said:

It's better not to vape but as an aid to stop smoking it is a good option.

So it’s better not to vape. We got there eventually . 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

So it’s better not to vape. We got there eventually . 

Why are you saying "eventually"?

I've never said vaping is good, it's better than smoking and should be seen as an aid to stopping smoking.

3 hours ago, cazzyy said:

This is a good read from the UK Health Security Agency which covers some of the myths perpetuated on this thread.

https://ukhsa.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/20/clearing-up-some-myths-around-e-cigarettes/

That leaves no room for doubt. Vaping is a lot less dangerous than smoking.  Doesn't mean there's no risk from vaping, but it's nowhere near the level of danger from smoking.

Give up yer oul' cigs, lads.  Go cold turkey if you can, but otherwise vape and massively reduce the damage you're doing to yourself and those around you.

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, cazzyy said:

Nicotine - addictive but relatively harmless.

Propylene glycol -  a completely harmless chemical that also makes asthma inhalers work.

Benzene - under normal vaping conditions, you need to vape 125 mL e-liquid per day to be negatively exposed.

Diacetyl - banned in the UK in e-cigarettes and e-liquid.

I was in hospital recently and overheard doctors at the next bed trying to save the life of a young girl who had simply walked past a guy in the street who was vaping. The allergic reaction caused her throat to close up and she wasn't responding to adrenalin/drugs. They had to take her down to resus. 

Terrifying just listening to it. 

Wife ordered me some herbal tobacco and got me some lovely green. That way I can have a joint without worrying about taking nicotine and continuing the cycle.

Edited by superjack

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

I was in hospital recently and overheard doctors at the next bed trying to save the life of a young girl who had simply walked past a guy in the street who was vaping. The allergic reaction caused her throat to close up and she wasn't responding to adrenalin/drugs. They had to take her down to resus. 

That is terrifying, happens to folk with all sorts of allergies unfortunately.

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Wife ordered me some herbal tobacco and got me some lovely green. That way I can have a joint without worrying about taking nicotine and continuing the cycle.

Good luck but that stuff's rank, even the good ones like greengo

1 hour ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Good luck but that stuff's rank, even the good ones like greengo

I had some a few years ago that wasn't too bad. This stuff seems OK too. If I'm just having a quick puff I'll use a bong. But on a Friday night at my mates, I'll always prefer a joint. I'll let you know in a few hours if it was successful. My mates off the fags as well just now which in theory should make it easier.

14 minutes ago, superjack said:

I had some a few years ago that wasn't too bad. This stuff seems OK too. If I'm just having a quick puff I'll use a bong. But on a Friday night at my mates, I'll always prefer a joint. I'll let you know in a few hours if it was successful. My mates off the fags as well just now which in theory should make it easier.

The best compromise I've found is using a vape, then using the vaped weed as a tobacco substitute. Having said that, I prefer pure.

7 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Where?

2 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

The best compromise I've found is using a vape, then using the vaped weed as a tobacco substitute. Having said that, I prefer pure.

Not keen on vape weed things.

Always feel headachey with them.

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Now 4 weeks today, still holding out but would still love a fag, that's annoying.

Probably over the worst period, think of it as winning against the fag, stay strong ,be worth it.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Now 4 weeks today, still holding out but would still love a fag, that's annoying.

Doing good JFK. I'm still off them as well. I'm finding the gym is what's helping the most.