• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Samuel Camazzola

• Sooperstar

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

38 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Ciganda doing her best to throw her game away. Losing Solheim cup on her home soil not the finish she was looking for

Heroically bouncing back from a dodgy back nine to cream the last couple of holes is probably more like it. It's the Spanish way, don'tcha know? :D

Pasquale for King

I enjoyed that, not sure playing Nordqvist/Maguire and Hall/Boutier in both foursomes was a good idea. Probably should’ve just sneaked it but a good appetiser for next week. 

Malinga the Swinga
16 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Heroically bouncing back from a dodgy back nine to cream the last couple of holes is probably more like it. It's the Spanish way, don'tcha know? :D

More than happy to eat words. Her last 2 irons were things to remember when she has retired, especially after her 15th double bogey.

Imagine if you had to nominate 2 person from each team to take part in play off? That would be some pressure but as rules are rules, Europe don't give a ****.

Was Hedwall that turned it round though as she looked down and out.

If Ryder cup is equal to this, roll on next week.

Last thing, amazing how the stupid shouts were absent, bar the scenes at end. Made a much more enjoyable watch 

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

More than happy to eat words. Her last 2 irons were things to remember when she has retired, especially after her 15th double bogey.

Imagine if you had to nominate 2 person from each team to take part in play off? That would be some pressure but as rules are rules, Europe don't give a ****.

Last thing, amazing how the stupid shouts were absent, bar the scenes at end. Made a much more enjoyable watch 

Hopefully the 'Guardians' are muted next week. Better still, hopefully the Italian security have zero tolerance for their outfits and they can't set foot on the property. 

52 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The shite random shouts may have been but I noticed quite a lot of cheering at missed putts and the like. And one fan saying 'no no no no no no no' as a US putt tracked towards the hole at a vital point in one of the matches at the end (the putt snuck past). Now, that doesn't necessarily bother me, but it's not really in line with the etiquette is it. 

Malinga the Swinga
20 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

The shite random shouts may have been but I noticed quite a lot of cheering at missed putts and the like. And one fan saying 'no no no no no no no' as a US putt tracked towards the hole at a vital point in one of the matches at the end (the putt snuck past). Now, that doesn't necessarily bother me, but it's not really in line with the etiquette is it. 

Thought it was played in good spirits. I have no doubt the behaviour will be way worse next week.

When you were 4-0 down after the first morning foursomes. That was some comeback from Friday afternoon onwards from the European team.

Deservedly retained the Solhiem cup.

I had wondered about how the bookies would price up their book for this one.  I had a look at bet365 and,  wouldn't you know it,  they went evens on both teams with 12/1 the tie.  Europe is still evens but the tie has nibbled in to 11s with USA at 21/20.  

My eye-catchers are:

Top Europe points scorer Tyrrell Hatton 8/1.

Margin of victory spread,  Europe by 1-3 points.  15/4.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I had wondered about how the bookies would price up their book for this one.  I had a look at bet365 and,  wouldn't you know it,  they went evens on both teams with 12/1 the tie.  Europe is still evens but the tie has nibbled in to 11s with USA at 21/20.  

My eye-catchers are:

Top Europe points scorer Tyrrell Hatton 8/1.

Margin of victory spread,  Europe by 1-3 points.  15/4.

A lot of the pricing is pie in the sky and doesn't mean much due it being match play and the order of pairings being unknown. 

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

A lot of the pricing is pie in the sky and doesn't mean much due it being match play and the order of pairings being unknown. 

That's why I was curious about what the opening market would be.  Interestingly there's a market on individual players' day 1 points gained.  Bit of a blind guess trying to lay odds without knowing how many times they'll play and the opposing players.

Just now, Victorian said:

Tomorrow.  2 sets of 4 matches Friday & Saturday.  12 singles matches Sunday.

Thanks. Looking forward to it. I've not been following golf this year so I couldn't even hazard a guess at what will happen or what bets if any to put on - I'll maybe steal one of yours for interest!

1 minute ago, Homme said:

Thanks. Looking forward to it. I've not been following golf this year so I couldn't even hazard a guess at what will happen or what bets if any to put on - I'll maybe steal one of yours for interest!

Haha.  I do fancy the 8s on Hatton as top European points scorer.  If he brings his top game then he'll be a handful.  Greatly depends on his 4ball and 4some partners though.

Shooter McGavin
18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Friday

6.35am start Foursomes

11.35 Fourballs

Saturday

7.35am Foursomes 

12.35 Fourballs

Sunday 

11.35 Singles

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/ryder-cup-2023-tee-times-schedule-dates-b2418702.html

I'm confused now cause the official Ryder Cup website has it (translated into UK times):

Sunday 6:35 foursomes/11:25 four-balls

Saturday 6:35 foursomes/11:25 four-balls

Sunday singles 10:35

Ah well, I'll be glued in front of the telly the full three days anyway 😄

Edited by Shooter McGavin

As regular golfers among us will probably recognise,  foursomes matches can be especially tricky to get up to speed in.  Because you're playing alternate shots,  depending on how the shots go from hole to hole,  you can often be well into a match before you're called upon to play particular types of shots.  Whether that be a long or mid iron approach,  greenside chip,  even putts of various lengths.  I once played a match and it was well into the back nine before I had to putt.  Pros of this standard are very obviously on a different planet in terms of sheer ability over every conceivable shot but even they must get a bit thrown off by suddenly being called upon to putt from inside 6 feet for the 1st time,  or 1st lengthy iron shot while well into the round.  It's almost an entirely different game to fourballs.

Shooter McGavin
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

As regular golfers among us will probably recognise,  foursomes matches can be especially tricky to get up to speed in.  Because you're playing alternate shots,  depending on how the shots go from hole to hole,  you can often be well into a match before you're called upon to play particular types of shots.  Whether that be a long or mid iron approach,  greenside chip,  even putts of various lengths.  I once played a match and it was well into the back nine before I had to putt.  Pros of this standard are very obviously on a different planet in terms of sheer ability over every conceivable shot but even they must get a bit thrown off by suddenly being called upon to putt from inside 6 feet for the 1st time,  or 1st lengthy iron shot while well into the round.  It's almost an entirely different game to fourballs.

Both have to play the same ball too which can be off putting for them as they often build their full bag of clubs around their ball of choice.

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Both have to play the same ball too which can be off putting for them as they often build their full bag of clubs around their ball of choice.

At that level yes,  that can be a factor.  

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Can tell the 'Guardians' are the types who use iron covers. 

Presuming you have metal woods/hybrids/putter, are they covered, if yes, why?

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Presuming you have metal woods/hybrids/putter, are they covered, if yes, why?

What colour are your iron covers? 😄 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This isn't in play this year. ie If McIlroy was to tee off on the 1st with his TM and was paired with Fleetwood, Tommy could tee off on the 2nd with his Titleist. 

Shooter McGavin
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

This isn't in play this year. ie If McIlroy was to tee off on the 1st with his TM and was paired with Fleetwood, Tommy could tee off on the 2nd with his Titleist. 

Yeah still tricky alternating between the two balls though.

Those guys will be totally dialed in with their specific ball and how it works with their clubs, so I imagine having to adjust and factor that in during a round could be quite tricky. I imagine that's a big factor in who the pairings are for foursomes.

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yeah still tricky alternating between the two balls though.

Those guys will be totally dialed in with their specific ball and how it works with their clubs, so I imagine having to adjust and factor that in during a round could be quite tricky. I imagine that's a big factor in who the pairings are for foursomes.

True. McIlroy had stated there's no issue when using the driver as a lot of the data confirmed the performance difference was negligible. It'll be the irons that the differences will be noticed. 

Shooter McGavin

Match 1 - Rahm/Hatton vs Scheffler/Burns

Match 2 - Hovland/Aberg vs Homa/Harman

Match 3 - Lowry/Straka vs Fowler/Morikawa

Match 4 - McIlroy/Fleetwood vs Schauffele/Cantlay

49 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

No J. Thomas, I like the guy, poor form of late, needs to improve, but not enough for Ryder Cup points this weekend...:thumbsup:

Europe put their best pair 1st,  USA 4th,  but their opponents are hardly lesser lights.  I think the match ups look favourable for Europe there.  

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Europe

Europe

USA

Draw

7 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Europe

Europe

USA

Draw

:Agree:

I was thinking 3-1 Europe is a real possibility.  Pretty hard to predict a halfed match (imo).  3-1 based on the probability of one USA pair being on top from the last 3 matches.  But it's not that far fetched for Europe to sweep the lot.

Edited by Victorian

16 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Hovland got a hole in one in practice today, on a par 4.

Apparently he was playing 3 of the tee but immaterial really some shot.

37 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Time to ditch them. 😉 👍 

Still no answered my question regarding your metals, do you use covers?...🤷

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Still no answered my question regarding your metals, do you use covers?...🤷

They are to protect a paint job on crowns and graphite shafts. Absolutely no need for them on irons.  😄