Ryder Cup 2023

Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga

Congratulations to Robert McIntyre for making team on points. Always good to qualify directly and not rely on pick.

Will be interesting to see who makes team for Europe although I think they will have their work cut out with US heavy favourites

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Samuel Camazzola

• Sooperstar

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

Thunder and Lightning
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Congratulations to Robert McIntyre for making team on points. Always good to qualify directly and not rely on pick.

Will be interesting to see who makes team for Europe although I think they will have their work cut out with US heavy favourites

The US are always heavy favourites. But they lack the ability to play as a team. They are all individual superstars. 

We will pump them. 

Malinga the Swinga

Meronk had time to get the points required and failed to do so. That's why it was so important for McIntyre to do so as the picks are so subjective.

Wouldn't have had problem with Meronk, Paul or other Hojgaard getting in but then again, Straka, Aberg and N Hojgaard are strong players as well.

Samuel Camazzola

It's surprising they didn't bring the BMW Championship forward to last week. Would have thought they would have wanted to make the announcements following the conclusion of the DP World Tour's flagship event. 

Winning it won't carry the same prestige this year as it has carried a lot of points for Ryder Cup qualification in the past. Could have made a huge difference to final placings for auto qualification. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Great to see a Scot back in the squad 👏 

Will be interesting to see how many times he gets picked. Winning there last year shows his game is good for the course (likewise with Hojgaard). But this event is a totally different animal - biggest in World sport this year IMO. 

Interesting to know who they see him to be paired with. 

Europe's team looks a good blend of experienced campaigners and the new breed.  There's a good number of both and seems to be fewer of the veteran stage players that have ended up in the team beyond their best years.  Some of the older heads are some of the current best in the world.  

I would be tempted to ensure everyone plays at least twice before the singles,  with an emphasis of pairing experience with rookies,  if possible.  But it all depends on the analysis of form and players' games that compliment with others.

MacIntyre is the 11th Scot to play in the European team era from 1979 (22nd edition).

Brian Barnes

Bernard Gallagher

Sandy Lyle

Ken Brown

Sam Torrance

Gordon Brand Jr

Colin Montgomerie

Paul Lawrie

Andrew Coltart

Stephen Gallacher

Robert MacIntyre

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Europe's team looks a good blend of experienced campaigners and the new breed.  There's a good number of both and seems to be fewer of the veteran stage players that have ended up in the team beyond their best years.  Some of the older heads are some of the current best in the world.  

I would be tempted to ensure everyone plays at least twice before the singles,  with an emphasis of pairing experience with rookies,  if possible.  But it all depends on the analysis of form and players' games that compliment with others.

Harrington's big mistake was basing the majority of his decisions on data. He needed to mix pairings in practice along with considering what type of ball was being used and use his own instinct. 

The weather at the 2010 event was a blessing as it enabled all players to get match time due the format being compressed. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Just been reminded that the belle D's known as 'The Guardians' will be in attendance. :facepalm:

The Guardians and there USA equivalents, from Minnesota if I remember correctly, started off as a laugh but have evolved into total pricks.

They aren't about Ryder Cup, they're about self promotion and being seen. Anyone wearing any ridiculous costume should be taken outside course and beaten to a pulp with bodies left as warning to others.

Same goes for anyone who starts a stupid ding about players or who shouts out as players driving.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The Guardians and there USA equivalents, from Minnesota if I remember correctly, started off as a laugh but have evolved into total pricks.

They aren't about Ryder Cup, they're about self promotion and being seen. Anyone wearing any ridiculous costume should be taken outside course and beaten to a pulp with bodies left as warning to others.

Same goes for anyone who starts a stupid ding about players or who shouts out as players driving.

Their songs are pish, their 'banter' is pish and their outfits are pish. They're ruining the spectacle for others with their 'look at us' routines. 

Luckily. I avoided them at Gleneagles. 

The shout-outs whilst players are teeing off is sad too. American nonsense which has crept in all over. 

On 10/09/2023 at 15:20, Malinga the Swinga said:

Also, anyone shouting 'In the hole' should be lynched

Shooter McGavin
On 10/09/2023 at 18:35, Samuel Camazzola said:

Their songs are pish, their 'banter' is pish and their outfits are pish. They're ruining the spectacle for others with their 'look at us' routines. 

Luckily. I avoided them at Gleneagles. 

The shout-outs whilst players are teeing off is sad too. American nonsense which has crept in all over. 

Correct.

Cringy posh boys who's "banter" is well passed it's sell by date.

Thunder and Lightning
2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Is it on cooncil tv or another pay to watch job 😕.

Sky got the rights in 1995, not been on the BBC since then i think.

No council coverage i believe.

2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Sky got the rights in 1995, not been on the BBC since then i think.

No council coverage i believe.

Cheers😟

The warnings of the course's physical demands could make the captains' jobs a bit more straightforward.  They'll be well advised to almost fully rotate their players.  Very few playing twice per day.  I think it would help all of the players to be mentally prepared that they're definitely playing and not likely to play twice.  

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Victorian said:

The warnings of the course's physical demands could make the captains' jobs a bit more straightforward.  They'll be well advised to almost fully rotate their players.  Very few playing twice per day.  I think it would help all of the players to be mentally prepared that they're definitely playing and not likely to play twice.  

I'll be surprised if Rory and Rahm are not sent out twice on Friday and Saturday. 

6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'll be surprised if Rory and Rahm are not sent out twice on Friday and Saturday. 

Well the arithmetic says that at least 4 players will need to play twice on both days.  I would make sure the 4 on Friday are different to the 4 on Saturday.  Those two will certainly play twice on one of those days,  but hopefully others have enough form to enable no player to play every session.  

51 minutes ago, JWL said:

No separate thread for the Solheim Cup?:interehjrling:

Anyway, what's with the intermittent music? A tad annoying; looks a cracking golf course though.

Opening hole with water down the left, drivable... cracking way to start.

1 hour ago, JWL said:

No separate thread for the Solheim Cup?:interehjrling:

Anyway, what's with the intermittent music? A tad annoying; looks a cracking golf course though.

Music, only on the 1st tee, TF!

Golf course, Spanish Braids, bullet straight tee shots can end up in the jaggy stuff.

Bermuda grass around the greens, hellish, tangly score wrecking shit...  

49 minutes ago, OBE said:

Music, only on the 1st tee, TF!

Golf course, Spanish Braids, bullet straight tee shots can end up in the jaggy stuff.

Bermuda grass around the greens, hellish, tangly score wrecking shit...  

Pretty sure that music will carry all round the course given it's surrounded by mountains. That Par 3 all the way down the valley looks an absolute dream to play.

49 minutes ago, JWL said:

Pretty sure that music will carry all round the course given it's surrounded by mountains. That Par 3 all the way down the valley looks an absolute dream to play.

Sorry, music gets throttled after all groups are away...

7 minutes ago, OBE said:

Sorry, music gets throttled after all groups are away...

Fair enough, hadn't heard it for a while. Could be a bit of an issue in the singles though!!

Malinga the Swinga

Not the start Europe looking for. Hall couldn't get putt close to hold all round and she's a shadow of player who won open few years back. Even Hull and Boutier who have been in great form couldn't get it done.

Hopefully afternoon proves more fruitful

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, JWL said:

Fair enough, hadn't heard it for a while. Could be a bit of an issue in the singles though!!

Doesn't impact the LIV boys who play for serious bunsen. 😉 

Samuel Camazzola

Solid performances in the afternoon for balls. Europe have put themselves right back in it now. May have even snuck another point there too. 

Malinga the Swinga

2nd hole in one in Solheim cup history as Europe pull back to 5-3. Lots of matches going to 18th which is all you can ask for.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

2nd hole in one in Solheim cup history as Europe pull back to 5-3. Lots of matches going to 18th which is all you can ask for.

For anyone who may have missed it. 🔥 🏌️ 

10 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Both by Europe, and both by Swedes.

Norquist the other to do so.